Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: 803D and MC452

803D and MC452

Hello ladies and gentleman's

Has anyone experienced owning or listening to the above combo? I own the 803d's and am researching on a suitable amp for it. I like what I'm reading about the 452's so far.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 803D and MC452

I think the MC452 is a great match to go with your 803d's. The 803d's love power. I had a pair of 803d's which I powered with one MC352 then with two MC352's and then with MC601 monos. The more power I gave them the better they sounded to me, especially in the bass.
    Paul

Main Stereo System:

Harbeth 40.3 HD, Jay's CDT3 MK3, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Aurender N20, Luxman M900 & C900 , (2) JL f113, Shunyata Denali 6000v2 Power Conditioner, Altaira, AZ Cables, Stillpoints & Symposium shelves under everything.

Theater System:
    JVC RS400 projector, 130" Stewart screen, Oppo 105D, Audio Physic Classic speakers, REL 3D subs, MC8207 MX136, Synergistic Research Powercell, AZ interconnects, speaker cables and PC's.

Thanks for the info bro

803D and MC452

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/p...1/thread/42815

What do you guys think of the above opinion?

Check this out

http://www.amp-shootout.com/2.html

stanly: When I bought my MAC 6700 receiver a year ago. I ran it through the B&W 804 &803's for auditioning the receiver. They both sounded good. I have B&W CDM7's. I think McIntosh and B&W is a good match. But only your ears can decide whats right for you. Good luck. And enjoy!

803D and MC452

I've actually made up my mind. Going for the mc452 :-)

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by stanly.joseph View Post
    I've actually made up my mind. Going for the mc452 :-)

Congratulations!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I have 803d's and I can say the MC452 would be ideal.
    What kind of beer do you like to drink, neighbor?

My complete "listening to" log.

My HR Audio library.

The MC252 is an awesome amp. Hope this helps!
    What kind of beer do you like to drink, neighbor?

My complete "listening to" log.

My HR Audio library.

So I was listening to some tunes last night on my fancy dandy HiFi system, Lo and behold Scorpions "still loving you" came on. And half way through the song my daughter who was sitting next to me said: sounds like they are here singing daddy.

I've always wanted to feel presence from my audio system and although I did not feel it myself, my kid did. Maybe my hearing is shot!! But wait till I get the MC452. She might think there's a ghost singing in our living room....803D and MC452803D and MC452803D and MC452

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

When will you get the 452 ?
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

I'm still wheeling for the best deal...hopefully in the next 30 days or so

Guys

Here's a technical question that I can't seem to get a definite answer to......if I have 2 amps (1 for HT 1 for stereo) and only use them one at a time (not simultaneously), can I wire the amps separately to the same main speaker? Meaning each amp has it own speaker wire cable connected to the same main speaker, one amp hooked up via bananas and the other via spades.

I'm willing to unplug one amp completely from power while using the other.

Thanks in advance

Super Moderator

I don't think that is a good idea. I would totally unplug the other amp from the speakers so you don't introduce the amp and its internal wiring to the other amps load. I am sure it will affect the sound but I don't know the technical answer for that.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Sounds like one of those 'asking for trouble' solutions of which I have a long history.

I can tell you from experience that this is not a good combination. The thing with B&W and Mac is there are tons of dealers that sell both, therefore it's assumed they are a good combination. And in the dealer rooms, they usually do sound quite special with a specially curated CD the dealer has on hand. The problem is when you get it home and put on real music with verve and drive you find out that the mac amps are a bit slow, not truly dynamic, and lack transparency of the top tier guys (at least when paired with B&W). Soundstage will also be below average.

The 803 diamonds need a very neutral, transparent, analog sounding amp with with loads of speed, power, grip, and extension. I had an MC205 bi-amped to them. I was speaking with a guy at audio classics at the time who said he went through the same thing, and eventually tried to put over 1000 watts of mac power in them and couldn't get what he wanted, and settled on the MC275 as the best mac choice with B&W.

I like mac amps, but they're lush so probably need to pair with some very open speakers...maybe monitor audio platinum or something.

Taking a break

Give Chuck Hinton at McIntosh a call: +1 (800) 538-6576

Quote Originally Posted by audiolove View Post
    I can tell you from experience that this is not a good combination. The thing with B&W and Mac is there are tons of dealers that sell both, therefore it's assumed they are a good combination. And in the dealer rooms, they usually do sound quite special with a specially curated CD the dealer has on hand. The problem is when you get it home and put on real music with verve and drive you find out that the mac amps are a bit slow, not truly dynamic, and lack transparency of the top tier guys (at least when paired with B&W). Soundstage will also be below average.

The 803 diamonds need a very neutral, transparent, analog sounding amp with with loads of speed, power, grip, and extension. I had an MC205 bi-amped to them. I was speaking with a guy at audio classics at the time who said he went through the same thing, and eventually tried to put over 1000 watts of mac power in them and couldn't get what he wanted, and settled on the MC275 as the best mac choice with B&W.

I like mac amps, but they're lush so probably need to pair with some very open speakers...maybe monitor audio platinum or something.
    What amp would you suggest for the 803D's?

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    Sounds like one of those 'asking for trouble' solutions of which I have a long history.
    What did you do?

just my opinion...but Krell, Passlabs, Modwright, or Classe for a power amp...B&W's can sound closed in and dark unless you hammer them with powerful, vivid and transparent power. A model with 250 watts or more power per channel that can double down when cutting the ohm's in half. Tubes in the pre-amp or DAC if you're into that.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

As I said before Classe' is a great match. Another strong contender would be the Hegel H30.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Check this out

Shootout - www.amp-shootout.com

Really enjoyed reading that , thanks ...

So I sent Mcintosh an email asking what's the power output of the MC452 when an 8ohm speaker dips into the 4 and 2ohm category during dynamic music passages?

Here's the response:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434033420.942768.jpg

1800 watts??? WOW Amazing!!!!

Audioshark

So I sent Mcintosh an email asking what's the power output of the MC452 when an 8ohm speaker dips into the 4 and 2ohm category during dynamic music passages?

Here's the response:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434033420.942768.jpg

That's interesting. Very interesting. It was my understanding, and I guess I'm wrong, that all McIntosh amps were ABOUT the same wattage into all ohms. I could have sworn I've even seen measurements to the same. Their specs on the website even say that.

"POWER OUTPUT PER CHANNEL
    450W @ 2, 4 or 8 Ohms"

Reference: http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Produ...roductId=MC452

Man, I hope Dan can explain this. I've been going under the assumption that Mc amps were ABOUT the same wattage into 8 ohms as they were into 4 ohms.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Audioshark

Stanly - this is probably a BIG BIG stretch financially, but man, if you could ever afford the 2301's, you would never buy another amp again (unless you're an idiot who sells it...like someone I know. )
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

^^^^ True.

Speakeasy

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    That's interesting. Very interesting. It was my understanding, and I guess I'm wrong, that all McIntosh amps were ABOUT the same wattage into all ohms. I could have sworn I've even seen measurements to the same. Their specs on the website even say that.

"POWER OUTPUT PER CHANNEL
    450W @ 2, 4 or 8 Ohms"

Reference: McIntosh MC452 Amplifier

Man, I hope Dan can explain this. I've been going under the assumption that Mc amps were ABOUT the same wattage into 8 ohms as they were into 4 ohms.
    I am pretty sure this, 900-1800 watts, refers to dynamic peaks, not continuous wattage.

NAD C 658 streamer.

803D and MC452

///

Stanly - this is probably a BIG BIG stretch financially, but man, if you could ever afford the 2301's, you would never buy another amp again (unless you're an idiot who sells it...like someone I know. )
    Only $22K for the pair of 2301's??? Sweet! Let me check my wallet, just a sec........yup sure can do it if I sell one of my kidneys first. Anyone in need of a fine and well cared for kidney? It loves music!!! 803D and MC452803D and MC452803D and MC452

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I am pretty sure this, 900-1800 watts, refers to dynamic peaks, not continuous wattage.
    I believe so

803D and MC452

Who's Dan? That's what I thought too which frankly was somewhat holding me back from deciding on the 452's but everything seem fine and just dandy now 803D and MC452

Mcintosh even recommends hooking the 803D's into their 4ohm taps just to get the best out of them.

Only $22K for the pair of 2301's??? Sweet! Let me check my wallet, just a sec........yup sure can do it if I sell one of my kidneys first. Anyone in need of a fine and well cared for kidney? It loves music!!! 803D and MC452803D and MC452803D and MC452

That's cheap! Price in Australia now is EACH.

Speakeasy

Each? Australia is getting ripped off mate! Is that due to taxes? The exchange rate is only 1.29 AUD for every USD.

Super Moderator

I think the US price of the MC2301/MC1.2KW is $12K each or $24K for the pair.

NAD C 658 streamer.

803D and MC452

Yup the $22k figure came from an older review. Prices have increased since than...

Just an update:

Instead of upgrading to the mc452 for my 2 channel entertainment, I postponed it and went for the C2500 stereo pre-amp instead.

I wish I could invite every one of you into my humble abode to listen to some tunes. I simply can't describe how sweet the sound is now.....so sweet I could cry. And that's just with a XPR 5 amp.

Just imagine how dry my eyes would be when I get the 452!!!! Oh Lord thank you for my pair of ears and for Mcintosh.

Roma

Stanly joseph, congrats on the purchase of your C2500 pre-amp. Great purchase. You can make even sound sweeter by upgrading the stock tubes in the future. Once you get the MC452 to mate with the C2500 you will be in heaven and really cry your eyes out.
    Paul

Main Stereo System:

Harbeth 40.3 HD, Jay's CDT3 MK3, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Aurender N20, Luxman M900 & C900 , (2) JL f113, Shunyata Denali 6000v2 Power Conditioner, Altaira, AZ Cables, Stillpoints & Symposium shelves under everything.

Theater System:
    JVC RS400 projector, 130" Stewart screen, Oppo 105D, Audio Physic Classic speakers, REL 3D subs, MC8207 MX136, Synergistic Research Powercell, AZ interconnects, speaker cables and PC's.

Quote Originally Posted by PMCH View Post
    Stanly joseph, congrats on the purchase of your C2500 pre-amp. Great purchase. You can make even sound sweeter by upgrading the stock tubes in the future. Once you get the MC452 to mate with the C2500 you will be in heaven and really cry your eyes out.
    803D and MC452803D and MC452803D and MC452803D and MC452803D and MC452 I can't wait!!!

Roma

Quote Originally Posted by PMCH View Post
    Which tubes do you recommend for an upgrade and how long should I wait before changing them?

I'm debating between the gold lions and the Telefunkens.

Roma

And here she comes!!! 803D and MC452803D and MC452803D and MC452

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

803D and MC452