Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

VAC Signature SE Preamp

Did anyone catch the great review of the VAC Signature SE Preamp? I've always felt VAC made one of the best tube preamps available - period. I have heard VAC preamps completely transform systems and their built in phonostages are also really quite excellent.

The thing I love about my VAC preamp is that it works with EVERY amp I throw at it. Tube, solid state, doesn't matter. And it makes them all sound better.

Making a great tube amp is one thing. Making a world class tube preamp is another.

On a sad note, this was Robert Reina's last review as he passed away after a battle with cancer at a far too young age of 61.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: VAC Signature SE Preamp

I read the review. I also read JA's measurements and follow-up comments from VAC. So sad about RR and I hope he is resting in peace.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Audioshark

Kevin is a brilliant designer and engineer and he pointed out the folly of the measurements used. From my experience, the phonostage in the VAC preamps are outstanding...as for their separate phonostage...oh my...I remember hearing it at CES 2014. It was my best of show - and it wasn't close.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Would love to trade up

As much as I want to sell everything and get something different, the other half thinks it's just fine the way it is.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    Would love to trade up

As much as I want to sell everything and get something different, the other half thinks it's just fine the way it is.
    I feel your pain Brian
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Too expensive for me, but....Wow, just look how nice and neat the inside of that thing is laid out! Almost makes me want to ask the rep if I see these at show to open one up and then I can call people over to look at it..."hey, come look how neat they keep everything in there, let's ask them what their fridge looks like". I wouldn't be surprised to find the capacitors, tubes, resistors and all that were in numeric or alpha order or something...uh, well, ok, maybe that would be a bit odd.
    Kidding aside, that has to be the neatest layout in a piece of electronics I've ever seen.

Any thoughts on how it would compare sonically with ARC Ref 10? VAC Sig was also reviewed in UK mag HiFi Critic but I haven't read that review.

Quote Originally Posted by ashandger View Post
    Any thoughts on how it would compare sonically with ARC Ref 10? VAC Sig was also reviewed in UK mag HiFi Critic but I haven't read that review.
    Reina compared it with the SP20 and in not so many words said it wasn't a contest. but that's a much cheaper ARC preamp.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    Reina compared it with the SP20 and in not so many words said it wasn't a contest. but that's a much cheaper ARC preamp.
    Many thanks for the feedback.

Just to note - I believe that the bottom two pictures above are not of the Signature models, but rather the VAC Statement series which are much more expensive. The circuit layouts are certainly beautiful and very carefully dressed, but the Signature models do not have that level of internal fit and finish. Not that they're badly built, but when you compare them the differences and attention to detail are quite apparent.

I replaced my vac ren mkiii with an ARC Ref 40 which I felt was a better sounding preamp - more texture and dynamic. But the VAC was really good and beat others that I threw at it (CJ GAT).

I agree

At a dealer I compared the VAC ren mkii with a ARC REF 40 and bought the REF 40 off the floor. It just seemed more natural. But I would have been happy with either.

I compared the REF 10 with the REF 40, and again preferred the REF 40 for a lot of the same reasons I liked it over the VAC. So I suspect that the Vac and Ref 10 are a lot more alike than different.

My guess between the 3 preamps - it will come down to symmetry within the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpod4 View Post
    I replaced my vac ren mkiii with an ARC Ref 40 which I felt was a better sounding preamp - more texture and dynamic. But the VAC was really good and beat others that I threw at it (CJ GAT).
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Audioshark

I've owned the REF10, and as good as it is, at that price point, I have heard the VAC Master Preamp a number of times and that would be my choice. It sounds richer, fuller and ultimately more musical to my ears. YMMV.

Many thanks to everyone for their feedback. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I've owned the REF10, and as good as it is, at that price point, I have heard the VAC Master Preamp a number of times and that would be my choice. It sounds richer, fuller and ultimately more musical to my ears. YMMV.
    I am at the same place with my 520 preamp. I have tried to sell it 3 times now & I just can't do it. Why, because everything i ask of it is rewarded with fragrance of spirit! Sounds pretty good too if you feed it good stuff....

I will be shipping my VAC SigMKIIa for SE upgrade end of the summer. I was planning to replace SigMKIIa with Ref10 since I have ARC Ref250. But after a friend compared the SE with Ref10 in the same system, he suggests I should upgrade before replacing it.

I remember you never roll any tubes but just use stock. From my experience, VAC preamps are very sensitive to tube rolling and a MUST to get the best out of them.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by knghifi View Post
    I will be shipping my VAC SigMKIIa for SE upgrade end of the summer. I was planning to replace SigMKIIa with Ref10 since I have ARC Ref250. But after a friend compared the SE with Ref10 in the same system, he suggests I should upgrade before replacing it.

I remember you never roll any tubes but just use stock. From my experience, VAC preamps are very sensitive to tube rolling and a MUST to get the best out of them.
    Looking forward to your impressions after the upgrade. I agree with your friend! VAC Signature SE Preamp

Agree 100% on the tubes. Remember, manufacturers need to buy hundreds of the same tube, they must be reliable, available, etc. After that, users installing NOS can bring things to a whole new level.

Looking forward to your impressions after the upgrade. I agree with your friend! VAC Signature SE Preamp

Agree 100% on the tubes. Remember, manufacturers need to buy hundreds of the same tube, they must be reliable, available, etc. After that, users installing NOS can bring things to a whole new level.
    And don't forget they can reject 40 or 50 pct. of the tubes they get. Guess what happens to those reject tubes?

Generally the remainder go through a slow, tempered burn in over 48 hrs or so to extend tube life. Then some companies will put the tubes in the equipment and test to make sure the circuit meets specs. That's what you are paying for when say you buy from ARC or cj as opposed to say The Tube Store.
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Either that or users will ruin the sound the designer intended with the tubes they chose to use. Lots of NOS tubes in the marketplace aren't really new and/or they are either pulls from used gear or they are tubes that were previously rejected by other manufacturers. There is lots of junk out there masquerading as premium NOS tubes. Are there still some really good NOS tubes available in the marketplace? Yes. How hard is it to find them and buy them? It's a crapshoot at best.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Audioshark

And if they ruin the sound they can put the stock tubes back in. Done. End of story.

If you have good sources, finding NOS isn't that bad.

And let's not forget there are some decent new tubes being made - like Elrog and Takatsuki.

We have to count on the fact that there are some "decent new tubes being made" meaning current production tubes. After all, no manufacturer of high-end tube gear is designing their gear around NOS tubes (and no, I don't count boutique companies). The day that tube gear manufacturers can't make great sounding tube gear using existing tubes that are in production is the day that new tube gear is doomed.

Some of the safest bets in the murky NOS tube world is buying NOS mil-spec tubes. Mil-Spec tubes had to meet much higher specifications than normal consumer grade tubes had to and thus went through many more measurements and culling than standard production tubes and this was true for the U.S. and other governments.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Either that or users will ruin the sound the designer intended with the tubes they chose to use. Lots of NOS tubes in the marketplace aren't really new and/or they are either pulls from used gear or they are tubes that were previously rejected by other manufacturers. There is lots of junk out there masquerading as premium NOS tubes. Are there still some really good NOS tubes available in the marketplace? Yes. How hard is it to find them and buy them? It's a crapshoot at best.
    NOC.
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Thanks for this - what did VAC quote for the SE upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobolaclune View Post
    Thanks for this - what did VAC quote for the SE upgrade?
    $1560 for linestage and $6500 linestage w/phono. Should take ~2 weeks in the shop.

My friend also compared SigMKIIa SE against Master and Master was significantly superior. He has Statement 450 mono and SigMKIIa ... he said if he didn't hear it himself, he wouldn't believe it. Master retails only ~$7K more.

I also asked Kevin if I can upgrade SigMkIIa to Master and he said not feasible with so many differences.

Dpod4, I'm NOT dismissing your results. It's very possible with all the tube rolling in the Vac ren mkiii, you will still find ARC Ref 40 superior.

$1560 for linestage and $6500 linestage w/phono. Should take ~2 weeks in the shop.
    CORRECTION, $6500 is to add SE phono stage to a linestage.

The last time i retubed my old CLA1 MKII I called VAC and bought what was suggested and what would have been the stock tube at that time for newer pre amps. They were better than the Sovtecks and JJs I was running but a far cry from the recent purchase of Gold Lions. I was dissapointed with their suggested tubes after finding the Gold Lions. They could use better tubes in an new expensive pre.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

CORRECTION, $6500 is to add SE phono stage to a linestage.
    Thanks - wonder what the upgrade cost would be for a Sig2a with an existing phono to SE status? Kevin is certainly pushing the dial on pricing to the point where there are a lot of other contenders ....

Talked to Brent from vac on Wednesday as I'm thinking of the II-A to SE upgrade.
    For line stage will be about 3000US as I'm in Canada wil be about 4000 cn.
    Of course shipping and duties ect.
    Don't have the PH stage in mine so it would be worth the call.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Takeniteasy, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Welcome Takeniteasy. Let us know how the upgrades go. Exciting stuff. Are you going to do the phonostage?

Quote Originally Posted by Takeniteasy View Post
    Talked to Brent from vac on Wednesday as I'm thinking of the II-A to SE upgrade.
    For line stage will be about 3000US as I'm in Canada wil be about 4000 cn.
    Of course shipping and duties ect.
    Don't have the PH stage in mine so it would be worth the call.
    As it happens, my Sig2a is at VAC right now for an SE upgrade, I already have the onboard phono stage. My tab came to $3400 for the upgrade.

THX Joe.

Welcome Takeniteasy. Let us know how the upgrades go. Exciting stuff. Are you going to do the phonostage?
    Thanks Mike,
    No PH stage as I use a BDP2 BDA-2 downstairs with the Vac and of course and that's where my projector and screen are.
    I do use a Lamm LP-2 deluxe with Clear audio TT upstairs as the wife likes LP's alot.
    She didn't like my small JBL's on stands so I put them in the garage and bought her a Martin Logan sound bar(MOTION VISION).
    It sounds pretty good as it has the analog inputs also and the digital side for the TV a win win.
    Will be perhaps summer when I send the Vac in as were out and about outside for the fun n the sun side of things.

Shodhan,
    is that US or Can,THX.

No, that was in US$ , they've shipped it back, I'll take a look at the invoice when it gets here next week and let you know, might include shipping to TO.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeniteasy View Post
    Shodhan,
    is that US or Can,THX.

Hi, I am looking for a pre-amp for my Hegel H30. Wondering what you suggest?
    Thank you

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Audioshark

My VAC preamp with my H30 was a terrific combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VAC preamp with my H30 was a terrific combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike but I don't think I could afford that pre-amp.
    I was thinking on classe CP800 or plinius kaitaki.
    Your thoughts important.
    Thanks

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Quote Originally Posted by junglern View Post
    Mike but I don't think I could afford that pre-amp.
    I was thinking on classe CP800 or plinius kaitaki.
    Your thoughts important.
    Thanks

I can assure you that the CP 800 is a great match with the H30!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by Bobolaclune View Post
    As it happens, my Sig2a is at VAC right now for an SE upgrade, I already have the onboard phono stage. My tab came to $3400 for the upgrade.
    Please give us an update on the upgrade!!!!
    Industry Disclosure: Owner Epiphanic Audio. Bespoke 2 channel resource in Virginia Beach VA. Dealer for darTZeel and other great brands.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

VAC Signature SE Preamp