Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: The TWENTY 26

The TWENTY 26

OK guys; well...usually, I don't post such things, until I'm actually unpacking the box. There is just no sense, tempting the audiophile gods.

But these beauties, have been on the freight-truck for a few days; and are supposed to arrive tomorrow...so I think I'm safe.

PMC guys will tell you...it's like getting married, lol. Lots of good women in the world; but when you settle down on a pair of these, you kinda have to be in it...for the "long" haul (long, being wholly subjective here...lol).

CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

Audioshark

Re: The TWENTY 26

Congratulations! PMC speakers are world class and the Twenty 26's are beauties! Let us know how it goes as you break them in.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Chris

Are these replacements for something or just additions?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Chris

Are these replacements for something or just additions?
    FACT 3s go bye-bye Jack.
    CD

Sounds like a nice trade up. According to the reviews I read a little "warmer." Might be more of a voicing match with the IDA-16 and less difficult to drive than the Ref 1.

Sounds like a nice trade up. According to the reviews I read a little "warmer." Might be more of a voicing match with the IDA-16 and less difficult to drive than the Ref 1.
    Jack...the IDA-16 is a nice, little unit; but it doesn't go in the main room brother
    CD

Understand, just thought it might be a fairer test with it than the Ref 1's to see what it was capable of with a "higher end speaker". Looking at their measurements from the the CNRC would indicate that the combination of their low efficiency and long period below 4 ohms under 500hz would make the Ref 1's a bitch to drive for many amps. Anyway interested in your opinion of their "voicing" compared to the Fact series.

Understand, just thought it might be a fairer test with it than the Ref 1's to see what it was capable of with a "higher end speaker". Looking at their measurements from the the CNRC would indicate that the combination of their low efficiency and long period below 4 ohms under 500hz would make the Ref 1's a bitch to drive for many amps. Anyway interested in your opinion of their "voicing" compared to the Fact series.
    Jack...the IDA-16 was never on the Ref 1s either. I started out, with it on the ScanSonic MB-1s. Liked the DAC...liked the pre; but the amp section left me a little flat. I used it as DAC/pre, to a pair of mAMPS...and that confirmed how solid the front-end was.

I set it aside, for possible sale...and in the meantime; I picked up a pair of Dynaudio X14s. I threw it back in, and it paired much better...than with the ScanSonic. I'm not sure the ScanSonic are my cup of tea; so maybe I judged the IDA-16, with it, unfairly.

Much as I like it...it still has to go. I've got a SOtM sDP-1000 to drive the mAMPS; and I like that combo very much.

Wanna take the NuPrime off my hands?
    CD

Congrats Chris, can't wait to read your reaction to them. It's no secret I love what PMC does. I think you've got a real winner there. No speaker is all things to all people, but PMC ticks all my boxes and they make a hell of a good speaker. They look good too IMO...
    System 1: Matrix Element M -> Sugden A21se -> Klipsch Cornwall 3.

System 2: Matrix Element X -> Exposure 3510 -> Heco Direkt.

Chris

I am going to try it's little brother for fun, but am seriously considering picking up the DAC-10 to run with the mAMPS in the system I am converting from a HT I never use. But if the IDA-8 works in that system may try the DAC-10 in place of the W4S DAC-2 in the main system. Who knows how it will end up.

Chris

I am going to try it's little brother for fun, but am seriously considering picking up the DAC-10 to run with the mAMPS in the system I am converting from a HT I never use. But if the IDA-8 works in that system may try the DAC-10 in place of the W4S DAC-2 in the main system. Who knows how it will end up.
    IDK Jack; when is the IDA-8 supposed to drop? Still not even, on the NuPrime website.
    CD

Chris

Mark told me June 20th, but earlier Jason had said this week and then that was changed. The DAC-10 was supposed to be before Christmas but ended up closer to the end of January.

Quote Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
    OK guys; well...usually, I don't post such things, until I'm actually unpacking the box. There is just no sense, tempting the audiophile gods.

But these beauties, have been on the freight-truck for a few days; and are supposed to arrive tomorrow...so I think I'm safe.
    Sh*t; delivery delayed, until Thursday. Me and my big mou...hands.
    CD

Sh*t; delivery delayed, until Thursday. Me and my big mou...hands.
    Crap! You must be totally bummed!

Quote Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post
    To be honest with you Jax; I had such a nightmare with The UPS Store (shipping the FACT 3s...l o n g story)...schlepping home the 26s, was about the last thing I was looking for.
    CD

To be honest with you Jax; I had such a nightmare with The UPS Store (shipping the FACT 3s...l o n g story)...schlepping home the 26s, was about the last thing I was looking for.
    Now I'm bummed
    CD

Congrats Chris on your 26's What finish did you decide on?

I'm considering a pair of Fact 8's and I would probably choose the walnut.

May I ask why you picked the 26's over the 8's? price is not that much of a difference.....?
    Last edited by 'cisco; May 29, 2015 at 12:41 PM. Reason: added comment
    McIntosh - PMC - Aurender - Kimber Kable - WW - Core Audio Designs

Quote Originally Posted by 'cisco View Post
    Congrats Chris on your 26's What finish did you decide on?

I'm considering a pair of Fact 8's and I would probably choose the walnut.

May I ask why you picked the 26's over the 8's? price is not that much of a difference.....?
    Thanks; I got the Walnut as well.

I had FACT 3s...and wanted a 3-way; famous PMC mid-driver and all (and I'm a former owner, of the OB1i). So for me, it was either 20-26 or FACT 12s

Couldn't quite swing those for now; maybe if I ever upgrade...lol.
    CD

Chris...do you mind my asking what the damage is on a pair of 26s?

Thx
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    Chris...do you mind my asking what the damage is on a pair of 26s?

Thx
    List is $11k. PMC is pretty liberally discounted...in the States at least.
    CD

Thx for info. So did you get the delivery yesterday or is it still in transit?
    Cyril
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

I have them Cyril! So I suppose this only natural follow-up is...well???

It's early, of course; but the word that keeps coming to mind, as I do my initial listening...is luxurious.

I think I thought of this once before...but it just came back to me: at the end of the day, what we like about our new speakers...comes down to oohs or ahhs, lol. The Twenty 26s are ahhs. It's not in your face...it washes over you; the presentation is B I G...and swallows you. It can really put you in the room, because the image is so "3D"...it's all around you.

It's gotta better bass than the stand-mount FACT 3; it's rich and round through the middle. Maybe a little less tingly on top...and not quite the pinpoint accuracy, and transparency of the FACT; that speaker is an ooh. But the 20-26 is far...far, from boring. Sure...I can't say, how it'll handle some loud Zeppelin when the time comes; but man...does it just hit it out of the park, with Classical, Jazz. Something like Ryan Adams' new Live At Carnegie Hall...is electric; it's got texture, you can reach out and touch...it's so layered and full.

Uh yes; I guess you can say, that I like them...lol. Not sure about gear though; need to do some system matching. But I think they'll be anchoring, at least one of my rooms...for a good while!
    CD

Sounds like a special speaker to me.

Love to hear more thoughts after they settle in. Not to mention trying various electronics for synergy.

And dont forget we love PICS!

Congrats Chris!

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Congrats Chris

There is nothing as good as getting new speakers!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

I have them Cyril! So I suppose this only natural follow-up is...well???

It's early, of course; but the word that keeps coming to mind, as I do my initial listening...is luxurious.

I think I thought of this once before...but it just came back to me: at the end of the day, what we like about our new speakers...comes down to oohs or ahhs, lol. The Twenty 26s are ahhs. It's not in your face...it washes over you; the presentation is B I G...and swallows you. It can really put you in the room, because the image is so "3D"...it's all around you.

It's gotta better bass than the stand-mount FACT 3; it's rich and round through the middle. Maybe a little less tingly on top...and not quite the pinpoint accuracy, and transparency of the FACT; that speaker is an ooh. But the 20-26 is far...far, from boring. Sure...I can't say, how it'll handle some loud Zeppelin when the time comes; but man...does it just hit it out of the park, with Classical, Jazz. Something like Ryan Adams' new Live At Carnegie Hall...is electric; it's got texture, you can reach out and touch...it's so layered and full.

Uh yes; I guess you can say, that I like them...lol. Not sure about gear though; need to do some system matching. But I think they'll be anchoring, at least one of my rooms...for a good while!
    Sounds like a home run. Congrats! Have you figured out if they are finicky with placement. Do they need a lot of space a way from the back and side walls or can they still throw a nice soundstage despite being close to room boundaries?
    Cyril

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    Sounds like a home run. Congrats! Have you figured out if they are finicky with placement. Do they need a lot of space a way from the back and side walls or can they still throw a nice soundstage despite being close to room boundaries?
    Cyril, I'd say no on the back-wall. All the PMCs I've owned, have never seemed back-wall dependent; I think you gotta credit ATL for that.

Side walls...I'm never close to anyway, because of my room; so I couldn't say for sure. But my impression is they are not very finicky.

Tonight was the first sit-and-play-EVERYTHING night; and I have to say...I don't think the smile left my face, for the better part of 2 hours.

I hope it's not just that they're new...and different; I would think, at this stage of the game...I'm past that (to an extent. Everyone likes new speakers...but I think I know how to gauge my enthusiasm in context). But I think they're the best speakers, I've EVER owned. I am thrilled
    CD

Congrats Chris, they sound like a speaker I would enjoy.

Chris...that's awesome Very happy for you and may this feeling last a very long time
    Cyril

I need gear advice. There aren't any other, Twenty or FACT owners here; other than Jax and I?
    CD

I need gear advice. There aren't any other, Twenty or FACT owners here; other than Jax and I?
    Chris,
    You two are twins separated at birth!
    It is amazing how your gear choices end up being so similar.

Quote Originally Posted by apdoc2004 View Post
    Chris,
    You two are twins separated at birth!
    It is amazing how your gear choices end up being so similar.
    Speaker twins, yes; not gear so much...especially not anymore. Now that Jax is in that Devialet cult
    CD

Speaker twins, yes; not gear so much...especially not anymore. Now that Jax is in that Devialet cult
    I was about to post the same thing. CD refuses to give in to my begging and pleading. I think he's holding a grudge against the French.

I was about to post the same thing. CD refuses to give in to my begging and pleading. I think he's holding a grudge against the French.
    Give him sometime -- he will own a Devialet before too long!

Quote Originally Posted by apdoc2004 View Post
    Give him sometime -- he will own a Devialet before too long!
    Or the MicroMega clone? Micromega M-One | AudioStream

CD

Now that you've got your main rig speakers, have you finally finished up your listening room? :p

Quote Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
    Now that you've got your main rig speakers, have you finally finished up your listening room? :p
    By "finished"...do you mean treatments?
    CD

Just setup with your chair and TV and everything. I wasn't sure you were able to get everything in place since you started doing the big rearrangement of your furniture and listening area.

AH...I think you may be making an amalgam of my 2 rooms

There's no TV, in the room with the 20-26s.
    CD

So I've seen bits of either :p I guess the real question is then, are you happy with both of your setups at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
    So I've seen bits of either :p I guess the real question is then, are you happy with both of your setups at this point?
    Huh?

Not quite; but I'm getting there! 2nd room feels pretty set; as far as the 2-channel gear is concerned. That a nice-sounding set-up, at the price!

I need a Center (X24), and then a way to turn that space...into AV (probably just run the SOtM, into the mAMPS balanced...and pre-out the L/R unbalanced; and the mAMPS have a button, to switch from one to another).

For the Main room; I've found the speakers! And I just bought my first round, of acoustical treatments! But the 20-26s are a new animal; I still need, to sort out the electronics.

Then...I need to address the pieces, that comprise the Bedroom system; Guest Bedroom system...lol. And HT!!
    CD

Hello,
    sorry but the twenty 26 will be rplaced from the twenty 5 26?

my delaer sell the twenty 26 demo (50hr. on it) for a little more from half price! the new twenty 5 serie is so better? a twenty 26 for ca 50% from official price can be a good choice?

thank you

The new twenty5 series builds and improves upon the twenty-series where both will co-exist. The twenty-series will only be available in black ash from now on, which is the reason that the current (soon to be discontinued) finishes (oak, walnut, amarone and high gloss black) are discounted.

/ Marcus
    PERFECT SENSE
    www.perfect-sense.se

Showroom in Stockholm, Sweden | info@perfect-sense.se | 08 518 368 00 | Follow us on Facebook

Thank Markus,

but for you a twenty 26 with 40% discount can be a bargain or not? the twetny 5 26 will be ca. 15% more expensive vs the 26 "full price".

color is a personal taste. wood "oak, walnut, amarone" for me is much better vs high black!

the "steel" parts on the "basis" give so a big improvement in performance vs the "old" serie twenty?

thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by db33 View Post
    Thank Markus,

but for you a twenty 26 with 40% discount can be a bargain or not? the twetny 5 26 will be ca. 15% more expensive vs the 26 "full price".

color is a personal taste. wood "oak, walnut, amarone" for me is much better vs high black!

the "steel" parts on the "basis" give so a big improvement in performance vs the "old" serie twenty?

thank you again
    Being a PMC distributor, I'm biased of course, but all PMC series offers a very high price-performance ratio at full retail.

The new twenty5 series offers many improvements over the twenty-series. It's a new line basically: https://pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer/twenty5

/ Marcus
    PERFECT SENSE
    www.perfect-sense.se

Showroom in Stockholm, Sweden | info@perfect-sense.se | 08 518 368 00 | Follow us on Facebook

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

The TWENTY 26