Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Tube Tester, New Tubes and disapointment.

Hi all. New to the forum.

I caught the tube bug, and caught it hard. I started with a tube amp back in February. Initially rolled in new production tubes. Then came the sickness when I bought my first NOS tube. Since then, in the last 3 months, I now own probably 150 vintage tubes. Some NOS, most others are likely used a little bit.

This week came my first tube tester. When you come into possession of 150 tubes in such a short amount of time, of course at least some of those are impulse purchases, or eBay auctions you never thought you would win with your lowball bid. Getting rid of a few to recover some of that cash was/is in order. Hence the tester. Gotta know what I am selling people. It has already saved me from listing a couple duds that still sounded alright, but were apparently marginal at best.

The most interesting thing though, is what I saw on the tester when I put on my almost brand new JJ Electronic EL84 tubes. I have two matched sets of 4. Two, since I felt my first set was prematurely wearing out. Now that I have tested them, my suspicions of early death are confirmed.

My integrated is Cathode biased, which is apparently pretty hard on tubes. I didn't suspect that things would be this bad after only a couple hundred hours! Sure enough, of my 8 EL84 tubes, 3 of them are already toast. Two of them test low on emissions, the third tests fine initally, then slowly falls off back into the 'replace' zone of the tester meter.

I have put at least as many hours, probably more on the Vintage Sylvania Black Plate EL84 tubes currently in the amp. The test meter says those tubes are still strong and robust, in spite of being used in a Baldwin organ before they came to me, and being subject to my marathon listening sessions that can last 8 hours or more.

I have always felt that the new production tubes in my possession from JJ and New Sensor sounded just fine. Looks like their durability and longevity is what may be questionable.

What are your experiences with the quality of new production tubes?

Thanks!

Andrew
    Current Hi-fi
    Bowers & Wilkins 686 S2 speakers / Grado RS1i Headphones
    Custom Audio PC, over 3TB high-rez music / Rega RP3 Turntable with Audio Technica AT33ev
    iFi iDSD Micro DAC / iFi iUSB power supply / Music Hall Phono Preamp
    Icon Audio Stereo 20PP Integrated Tube Ampifier
    A HOST of NOS tubes. (Telefunken, Ken-Rad, Amperex, Mullard, Siemens, RCA, Brimar, etc)
    Audioquest and iFi Cables. Corning Optical USB Cable.

Re: Tube Tester, New Tubes and disapointment.

MLGrado.......First, welcome to AudioShark.

Lumping New Sensor's tubes into the same category as JJ tubes is a mistake. JJ Tubes have a reputation for being short lived when compared to other tube manufactures of the same type. Some of JJ Tubes products don't even measure up to the original specification for operating perimeters, such as their 7591 tubes, but that is another story.

New Sensor's Gold Lion reissue tubes have proven themselves to be reliable with excellent longevity. I have rolled many tubes through a number of tube preamps and power amplifiers over the past four years or so, everything from new reissues to NOS tubes and used tubes. By and large the Gold Lion tubes from New Sensor in Russia offer some of the best performance to cost I have come across.

Good luck with your tube rolling and used tube purchases. It can be rewarding or it can be frustrating. Used tubes are always a crap shoot. By the way, what tube tester are you using?
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

I picked up locally a simple EICO 625 basic emissions tester. It has been freshly gone over and calibrated. Eventually as funds become available I would like to step up to a mutual conductance tester so i can test for triode match in preamp tubes.

I have several New Sensor tubes. I like them. Despite the language, I was lumping all New Production tubes together, generally speaking. I only have personal experience with the JJ failures, but I suppose I have been biased by the considerable 'purist' disdain for anything other than vintage. It is good to hear that my experience with the JJ's isn't necessarily indicative of all new production tubes.
    And as far as buying used tubes goes, I have been able to obtain some outstanding tubes at low prices. But not without also investing into a number of 'duds'. Certainly NOT trivial in number. I have maybe 8 or 10 tubes sitting in my reject box. They may have tested just fine for emissions, balance, shorts, etc... but they fail the noise test miserably, and are of no use in a hi-fi amp.
    Current Hi-fi
    Bowers & Wilkins 686 S2 speakers / Grado RS1i Headphones
    Custom Audio PC, over 3TB high-rez music / Rega RP3 Turntable with Audio Technica AT33ev
    iFi iDSD Micro DAC / iFi iUSB power supply / Music Hall Phono Preamp
    Icon Audio Stereo 20PP Integrated Tube Ampifier
    A HOST of NOS tubes. (Telefunken, Ken-Rad, Amperex, Mullard, Siemens, RCA, Brimar, etc)
    Audioquest and iFi Cables. Corning Optical USB Cable.

MLGrado.......It is always a gamble when purchasing used tubes, especially on eBay.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

There's always a chance too that your Eico tester isn't quite what it's purported to be.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Double-D View Post
    MLGrado.......It is always a gamble when purchasing used tubes, especially on eBay.

There aren't many barns left in the world. Typically what NOS is left is in the Eastern Block Euro Zone.

Speakeasy

Lightbulb Re: Tube Tester, New Tubes and disapointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Double-D View Post

When I acquire tubes via eBay, I communicate my interest in evaluating the tube(s) for AC and DC balance across all triode sections as well as assessment for noise and microphonics, using an Amplitrex AT1000. Should the evaluation not satisfy my criteria, I require assurance the tube(s) are subject to return for a full refund. If these provisos cannot be agreed upon -- I will seek alternate vendors. I just returned a quad, today, to China.
    Vbr,
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by c1ferrari View Post
    When I acquire tubes via eBay, I communicate my interest in evaluating the tube(s) for AC and DC balance across all triode sections as well as assessment for noise and microphonics, using an Amplitrex AT1000. Should the evaluation not satisfy my criteria, I require assurance the tube(s) are subject to return for a full refund. If these provisos cannot be agreed upon -- I will seek alternate vendors. I just returned a quad, today, to China.
    Did the postage cost more than the tubes?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Did the postage cost more than the tubes?
    $15 USD from CA to China...tubes were $14.99 -- haha
    Vbr,
    Sam

A LOT of people have reported reliability problems with JJ. I myself experienced reliability issues with JJ. Cathode bias doesn't automatically mean shorter life. It depends on who engineered the design. As an engineer, I investigated the pros and cons of cathode versus fixed and I use cathode bias almost exclusively, the exception being the GU50 which, for the most part, does not lend itself to cathode bias very well. if you are handy with the soldering iron, you can solder in a 1-ohm power resistor to each cathode. Measuring the voltage across said resistor will tell you the milliamps of current. Then you can figure out if excessive current is flowing.
    There are Russian tubes that sub in nicely for the EL84 and will probably last a lot longer. I would use those, or the NOS tubes. I mention the Russian tubes in case you are cost-conscious as NOS can be spendy.
    The tubes in organs tend to be rebranded tubes. For example, in the Conn organs I cannibalized a few times, there were black plate 12V6 tubes (same thing as a 6V6, but with 12-volt heater). I have been using an amp daily many hours a day for years with those 12V6 tubes and they STILL sound great. I haven't done the math, but they have a lot of hours on them. I got them used and nearly all of them tested OVER 100% on my tester which I'm told tends to underestimate the life left in the tubes (so that the tech can sell more tubes to the unwitting customer).
    I prefer the 6V6 (12V6) to EL84, and an amp designed for one can run the other if you change the socket and change the cathode resistor. their power output and drive requirements and voltage requirements are very similar. IMHO, the 6V6 (12V6) sounds better. The EL84 with good tubes DOES sound good in ultralinear mode, though. I wouldn't use them any other way.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Tube Tester, New Tubes and disapointment.