Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Benchmark AHB2

Benchmark AHB2

The Benchmark amp got pretty good reviews. Anyone had a chance to try it?

Re: Benchmark AHB2

Reviving this old thread rather than start a new one...

Ordered one of these last night. The many stellar reviews and the 30 day trial period made it too tempting. Should have it in a few days.

Will use the balanced pre-out on my Gato integrated to feed the AHB2, but would also like to try a stand-alone pre if I can.

I've been mostly interested in class D the past few years, but this combo of A/B and H seems interesting and is supposed to be pretty efficient.
    Antipodes EX…Schiit Yggdrasil...Coda 07x…Peachtree GaN400...Vivid V1.5
    Intona Premium USB…Cerious Graphene Extreme XLR...Double Helix Cables Chaperone XLR...Acoustic Revive SPC-PA
    Torus RM15...Shunyata Alpha HC…Mad Scientist First...HF Reveal...XLO Ref 3

Waiting for your report. A separate balanced preamp should be worth it.

Some impresions

http://www.audioaficionado.org/pre-a...-ahb2-amp.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mrppv View Post
    Reviving this old thread rather than start a new one...

Ordered one of these last night. The many stellar reviews and the 30 day trial period made it too tempting. Should have it in a few days.

Will use the balanced pre-out on my Gato integrated to feed the AHB2, but would also like to try a stand-alone pre if I can.

I've been mostly interested in class D the past few years, but this combo of A/B and H seems interesting and is supposed to be pretty efficient.
    Why are you interested in class D power amps for?
    George
    -----------------------

Aurender ACS10 Music Server > Holo Audio May KTE R2R Ladder DAC > Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Renaissance ELS 15A Speakers

Powered By 2X BPT 3.5 Signature Plus Ultra Isolators | Shunyata Research Hydra Triton + Typhon | Shunyata Hydra 2 Power Conditioner

Mostly for the low heat, efficient power consumption, and reduced size & weight.
    Intona Premium USB…Cerious Graphene Extreme XLR...Double Helix Cables Chaperone XLR...Acoustic Revive SPC-PA

Can't imagine Benchmark gets many of these back after the trial period; mine is staying here.

Lower noise floor, improved bass, and a more three-dimensional sound won me over.

Now I really need to consider a better preamp so that I'm not limiting the Benchmark.

I'd try the Primare Pre32, it's affordable and fully balanced to match with your Yggdrasil and AHB2.

http://www.primare.net/product.asp?ProductID=53&d=1

http://www.primare.net/assets/_manag...esignBrief.pdf

Can't imagine Benchmark gets many of these back after the trial period; mine is staying here.

Lower noise floor, improved bass, and a more three-dimensional sound won me over.

Now I really need to consider a better preamp so that I'm not limiting the Benchmark.
    Agree with you about the SQ of the ABH2. Benchmark DAC 3 would be the obvious match. Did you get a better preamp?

^ Am using an Ayre KX-5 Twenty preamp at the moment. Also tried a Classé CP-800, which I still have. I'm probably keeping the Ayre, but will do another comparison with the Classé before I decide for sure, as it is certainly no slouch and does a lot of things well.

I am using a Benchmark DAC3 HGC as my pre-amplifier. So far using it with a SST Son Of Ampzilla II and have a vintage Audio Research tube amplifier arriving tomorrow. I have thought about trying the Benchmark amplifier and maybe will at some point. Maybe eventually as a replacement to the Ampzilla....

I have also considered getting a ARC pre-amplifier and using my Benchmark purely as a DAC and headphone amplifier also...
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

^ Am using an Ayre KX-5 Twenty preamp at the moment. Also tried a Classé CP-800, which I still have. I'm probably keeping the Ayre, but will do another comparison with the Classé before I decide for sure, as it is certainly no slouch and does a lot of things well.
    Give the Mola Mola pre a look. SST is good but looks rubbish. Not tried the W4S pre yet supposed to be excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I am using a Benchmark DAC3 HGC as my pre-amplifier. So far using it with a SST Son Of Ampzilla II and have a vintage Audio Research tube amplifier arriving tomorrow. I have thought about trying the Benchmark amplifier and maybe will at some point. Maybe eventually as a replacement to the Ampzilla....

I have also considered getting a ARC pre-amplifier and using my Benchmark purely as a DAC and headphone amplifier also...
    Trying out that very combo soon, SST vs ABH2, going to be close. SST should win based on price. Shame SST case is so bad, the performance deserves a better designed box. I would love to have the opportunity of redesigning it. Both really great sounding amps though.

Hmmmm... the Ampzilla is not a bad looking case.... and price, well it is considerably more than the AHB2. The Benchmark is $2995 while the SST is $4200.

I guess I do not see a big difference in the looks between the two; if anything I think I prefer the SST.

Love to hear your final results and opinion between the two.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Digital: LH Labs Source (someday...) + LH Labs Geek Pulse SFi
    Analogue: Audio Technica OC9ML/ii + Technics 1200SL + Nikko Beta 40 (phono only)
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE
    First Watt F6
    Focal 816VW Special Edition

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Give the Mola Mola pre a look. SST is good but looks rubbish. Not tried the W4S pre yet supposed to be excellent.

Heard good things about the Mola Mola and the case is very appealing, but it's a huge jump in price over what I have. Have been tempted to try the W4S.

I am also thinking about going back to the W4S pre-amplifier. Excellent pre-amplifier. I enjoyed it when I had one but I was at the point of just relearning things so I needed to try other things....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Perhaps I was being a bit harsh towards the casework of the SST. I just think that for such an excellent sounding amplifier it deserves a nicer case. My main gripe is the cheap plastic volume control knob on their pre/dac. But I think this could easily be retro fitted with a nicer machined solid metal knob anodised black. Very tempted to do this if the SST is a winner, subject to a pre listening shoot out that is planned.

Amp testing is under way. The line up is Hypex NC500 class D mono's, Gato NAP250S Pascal class D integrated (also being evaluated as a pre/dac and power only) , Benchmark DAC3 and AHB2 (both also being evaluated separately using other combinations) and the SST Son of Ampzilla II. I'm hoping that I might also be able to have the SST pre/dac to try soon.

Early indications are that there is a clear winner.

Watch this space.

I look forward to your results!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Do you need a pre?

Clearly we are getting better results using the Lumin players (D1and S1) direct to the power amps using their balanced XLR analog outputs rather than going through the pre/dacs of the Gato and Benchmark. Volume controlled from the iPad app. Digital output was tried through BNC to RCA with a cable terminated with female BNC and male RCA. Using a BNC to RCA adaptor did not work due to directionality. I'm going to try the matching SST in a few days, so we will see.

SST vs ABH2

The SST is a lot heavier and twice the volume. It is also more expensive £4,500 vs £3,300 here in the UK. Both are fairly industrial looking the SST only coming in black, the ABH2 available with a silver or black front plate. Both have balanced inputs but the SST also has RCA in addition. The ABH2 has a sensitivity switch on the back.

Music choice ranged from male and female jazz vocal, opera, jazz including live recordings and percussion.

First off they are both excellent amps. On vocal the SST was more palpable. For example on "Holding On" by Gregory Porter it showed more strength and tangibility to his voice. Maria Callas sounded more natural and smoother on "The New Sound of Maria Callas- Madama Butterfly and Carmen".

With percussive tracks such as "Part ii" by So percussion, "Drums" by Percussion Project and "Night Train" by Felix Slatkin there was a bit more space and depth with the SST around the instruments and you could feel the sound of materials being hit/touched/brushed slightly better and not just the sound produced from the instrument alone.

On live recordings the SST had the edge with more depth and openness, noticeable on tracks like "Jazz at the Pawn Shop 2".

To be continued....stay tuned.
    Last edited by alto; February 2, 2017 at 01:33 PM. Reason: grammar

Excellent comparisons so far. Very intrigued by your results. So far the SST seems to be doing quite well in the comparisons! I know EJ is very proud of what they did with the SST, both to honor James last design but also in finishing development of the amplifier and bringing it to market!

The Benchmark DAC3 HGC does a very nice job as a pre-amplifier going to both my amplifiers; the SST and the ARC classic tube... however I have been told by many people that a separate pre-amplifier will improve my over all performance. I am seriously leaning towards going back to the one I had a little while ago. EJ's other line, Wyred 4 Sound. Their STP-SE is quite a pre-amplifier and seems to be an excellent match to both of my amplifiers. I really enjoyed it when I had one in my system, but I was also at the discovery stage and re-learning this crazy hobby.

So I am leaning towards either the STP-SE or a pre-owned ARC tube... we will see how it all pans out ....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Are you just looking for a pre or pre with a dac option? The SST would be the obvious choice, testing one in two days time. Alternatively with a Lumin player you go straight to the amp and use the iPad as controller. Another option is the new dac from W4S with volume controlled from an iPad. Mola Mola is supposed to be really good as well but is about £7,000. Extra for the dac card.

.....continued

ABH2 vs Gato NAP250S

Ok this is a bit unfair. The Gato is an integrated with built in dac and blue tooth. It uses the Pascal class D module like JR use(but maybe not exactly the same module series?). Very well made and finished chassis from stainless steel. Lovely feel to the volume control and switches. Made in Denmark. This retails for £3,600. Price/performance ratio is excellent.

For the test I configured the Gato as a power amp only running RCA's from the Lumin S1 analog outputs and using the iPad app to control volume. The usual range of music was used. As you would expect the stand alone AHB2 power amp (£3,300) was better overall but the Gato was pretty good. If anybody is looking for a compact, well made integrated at this price point I think the Gato would be difficult to better. It does not quite have the depth or space around instruments as the ABH2 but is very musically engaging with good controlled bass (much improved after 150 hours burn in) and rhythm / pace. Gato make a better integrated using MOSfets at around £5,500 which might be another story. They also do a very nice preamp for around £5000.

to be continued.....Hypex NC500 Class D vs ABH2 vs Gato

Just a plan pre-amplifier probably. I will be continuing with the Benchmark as my DAC and headphone amplifier. Also a very nice backup pre-amplifier!

The W4S won't work because I require at least 2 analog inputs (for SACD spinner and Tuner )....

The SST would be a nice match to the SST amplifier but with the DAC option and remote it is a bit pricey for now. I also think that EJ's absolutely best pre-amplifier is the Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE. It is approaching legendary status ... ok, my opinion but many people agree ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Randy, what was the burn in time for your SST?

Hmmmm... probably should give it a good 200 hours.... EJ has actually told me he recommends 500 hours on an amplifier ....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I have the Gato 250 integrated, and unless something has changed with the "S" model, I don't think you can really use it as just a power amp. From the 6 Moons review of the 400 model (which works the same as the 250):

I subsequently learnt that "the HT function on the DIA400 does not allow you direct access to the output stage. It simply sets a fixed volume at 0dB. It's still an active input." That explained it. Putting two preamp stages in series is rarely a good idea for ultimate sonics after all.

So the comparison with the Benchmark may not be apples to apples.

I have tried using the Gato just as a preamp and it was quite good, but I think the stand alone ones (Classé & Ayre) bettered it in my system.

I have the Gato 250 integrated, and unless something has changed with the "S" model, I don't think you can really use it as just a power amp. From the 6 Moons review of the 400 model (which works the same as the 250):

I subsequently learnt that "the HT function on the DIA400 does not allow you direct access to the output stage. It simply sets a fixed volume at 0dB. It's still an active input." That explained it. Putting two preamp stages in series is rarely a good idea for ultimate sonics after all.

So the comparison with the Benchmark may not be apples to apples.

I have tried using the Gato just as a preamp and it was quite good, but I think the stand alone ones (Classé & Ayre) bettered it in my system.

You might be correct? The manual is a bit misleading in that case.

Gato as a integrated vs Gato as pre to ABH2, produced a more open smoother sound with the ABH2 in place. Like I said the Gato is a very nice integrated for the price and their more expensive model I understand is outstanding.

Yes, using Gato as pre, feeding the ABH2, was also better for me, compared to Gato integrated. I noticed more resolution with the ABH2.

Glad we have correlation on that.

Next up is Gato vs Hypex NC500.

I popped by to see Alto again today and had the chance to hear the SST in the same system that I'd heard the Hypex NC500 in before. I did not hear the swap but I was very impressed with the SST in comparison. In that system the SST improved the exact elements I might have criticised that system with before. So, it was smoother, but with no lack of detail at all, in fact probably the opposite, easier to pick out the qualities of each instrument in the soundstage. I'd also say there was an edge to the system at volume in some tracks with the Hypex, this edge was not there now, so no reaching for the volume control to knock it down a bit.

The SST was impressive indeed, not that the Hypex wasn't at all impressive (and is probably half the price remember), but purely on the basis of auditioning of the two, the SST clearly wins on many levels, it's just had that 'goldilocks' thing where it was very musically involving too and I was enjoying it from the word go.

I didn't hear the ABH2. Anyway, thought I'd chime in, as more opinions to read are always good.

Nice.... you are hearing pretty much what I am with the SST... I love having an old ARC for tube listening and my Ampzilla for SS duties... Waiting for my STP-SE to arrive back and I should be golden for now!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I prefer to keep these comparisons in this thread, so I am going to copy them over here and ask that the other one be deleted...

Alto:
    "....continued

ABH2 vs Gato NAP250S

Ok this is a bit unfair. The Gato is an integrated with built in dac and blue tooth. It uses the Pascal class D module like JR use(but maybe not exactly the same module series?). Very well made and finished chassis from stainless steel. Lovely feel to the volume control and switches. Made in Denmark. This retails for £3,600. Price/performance ratio is excellent.

For the test I configured the Gato as a power amp only running RCA's from the Lumin S1 analog outputs and using the iPad app to control volume. The usual range of music was used. As you would expect the stand alone AHB2 power amp (£3,300) was better overall but the Gato was pretty good. If anybody is looking for a compact, well made integrated at this price point I think the Gato would be difficult to better. It does not quite have the depth or space around instruments as the ABH2 but is very musically engaging with good controlled bass (much improved after 150 hours burn in) and rhythm / pace. Gato make a better integrated using MOSfets at around £5,500 which might be another story. They also do a very nice preamp for around £5000.

to be continued.....Hypex NC500 Class D vs ABH2 vs Gato"

Alto:
    "
    My new SST amp is even better than the demo model I had before. Even more open, notes extended, human voice even more palpable, bass tighter and generally more detail. This was quite a surprise since it is not even run in yet. So I think the demo unit is a very early model and production models are now even better. This amp is in a different league compared to the others tested. I got the price wrong in the post above it is in fact £4,200 not £4,500 as stated.

Any body interested in a demo drop me a pm. I'm in the UK."

Alto:
    "
    Just to conclude the test.....Hypex NC500 Class D vs Gato.

The Gato needs at least 200 hours burn in before it sounds good. The Pascal class D Gato sounded smoother with tighter bass and more depth once it was run-in. The fit and finish is superb. If you are wanting an all in one then this amps deserves your attention. 250 watts, built in dac and blue tooth all for £3600 represents very good value . The Hypex in comparison was very dynamic but more forward in it's presentation. It is a power amp only and at around £2000 for the pair I believe is hard to beat at this price point. Both are good amps for the money, just depends what SQ you like.

The ABH2 was preferred to both of these class D amps, being more open, better sound stage, effortless and less grain to the treble. It is the more expensive option, costing £1,300 more than the Hypex mono's.

The SST is over twice the price of the Hypex monos and £900 more than the ABH2. But in my opinion it is worth the extra. This amp is in a different league and would compare sonically with amps costing more than double the price.

So there you have it: all the amps are good in there own way but if your budget allows the SST is a stand out amplifier in my opinion and worth paying the extra if the rest of your system justifies it."

Randy Myers:
    "
    Excellent write up and comparisons! Thank you for the effort. I agree with you on the quality of the Ampzilla, great amp and worth every penny."

Alto:
    "
    Thanks.

Next amp on test probably Mola Mola NC 1200 based amps? More than twice the price of the SST, so should be better. But?

Currently evaluating the SST pre/dac. Hopefully the USB input works with the soon to arrive
    fidata network audio server. The fidata will be subject to a separate review in a new thread. Watch this space it is supposed to be world class."

Sorry to put all these post into this one. I just thought if some one was following this thread it would be easier to read them all here because they might not be aware of the other thread.... thanks and sorry ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

No problem, Randy, makes sense.

I love the comparisons you are doing, and thank you! I just got confused on which thread to go to to continue the comparisons ....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Can you change the title of this thread so it contains all the amps being compared?

I think Joe or Mike would have to do that. I think that would be a great idea!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

If anyone is considering this amp, I just took advantage of a RMAF show special. 10%discount until Wednesday using code BENCHRMAF2017 at checkout. Mine will be here this week. Eager to compare to my First Watt F6.

Quote Originally Posted by Denver View Post
    If anyone is considering this amp, I just took advantage of a RMAF show special. 10%discount until Wednesday using code BENCHRMAF2017 at checkout. Mine will be here this week. Eager to compare to my First Watt F6.
    The amp arrived today! After only two albums, this amp is probably a keeper. More to come later.

Nice, congratulations on your new amplifier. I have a ton of respect for Benchmark. At one time I was considering getting one of these amps. That was when I was using the Benchmark DAC-3 HGC. I thought it was a very good DAC. However I have moved on to a new DAC, etc., etc.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Benchmark AHB2