Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Taking a break

Stylus Care: What's Your Method

I am learning how to care for Ortofon Windfeld Cartridge and Stylus.

I am using two Last products as well as a gentle brush. [See photo] Because I am so thorough cleaning my vinyl, I rarely use the brush.

Suggestions and what is your method?

Re: Stylus Care: What's Your Method

I think you have things pretty well covered in my opinion.

Most times for me it's a dip into a piece of Magic Eraser before each side. Sometimes it's a gentle pass with a dry stylus brush if I'm feeling particularly OCD. I've never seen anything on or around my stylus or come off on the M.E. or brush, (signs of a clean record).
    I'm thinking about getting a Zerodust, but how much different in function and performance is it than M.E?
    I am on the fence about using liquids on my stylus.

~Eric

Taking a break

Quote Originally Posted by MusicDirector View Post
    I think you have things pretty well covered in my opinion.

Most times for me it's a dip into a piece of Magic Eraser before each side. Sometimes it's a gentle pass with a dry stylus brush if I'm feeling particularly OCD. I've never seen anything on or around my stylus or come off on the M.E. or brush, (signs of a clean record).
    I'm thinking about getting a Zerodust, but how much different in function and performance is it than M.E?
    I am on the fence about using liquids on my stylus.

~Eric

The Zerodust Stylus Cleaner looks very interesting!

See it in Action

Buy Music Direct

I play a Nirvana record it sucks the Grunge right off the needle
    Lyra Atlas, tri-planner, clear audio statement, Burmester 100, Ayre KXR20, Ayre MXR20, Ayre DX5, Adept Response line conditioner, Ayre signature interconnects, Cardas clear power cables,cardas clear speaker cables and Martin Logan CLX with Decenti subs with Cardas hex link.
    Not in use Infinity QLS and Ohm F

David.......I use a combination of the Zerodust and the dense stylus brush that was provided with my Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge. I do the same for my Ortofon Cadenza Blue cartridge in the living room system. Periodically I examine the stylus tips using a Bausch & Lomb 10x jeweler's loupe and a bright flashlight. This routine works well for me.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Ortofon recommends against using any liquid cleaners or treatments with their cartridges, and specifically endorses the use of Zerodust. I'd suggest sticking with their recommendation to avoid possible warranty issues if you need their support any time during ownership.

Taking a break

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    Ortofon recommends against using any liquid cleaners or treatments with their cartridges, and specifically endorses the use of Zerodust. I'd suggest sticking with their recommendation to avoid possible warranty issues if you need their support any time during ownership.

Well thank goodness I've used Last only 1x. I have promptly disposed of it!

Bill.......
    I agree. Even though Ortofon recommends against liquid cleaners, I have always been concerned with liquid chemicals leeching up the cantilever and doing damage to the stylus suspension system. If I wasn't using the Zerodust cleaner I would probably use a small piece of Magic Eraser. The micro bristles do a good job of keeping debris off the stylus tip. No liquid cleaners for me.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Clean records and Zerodust for me. I usually give them the zero dust treatment once to twice a week. I used to use a brush before I got the Zerodust. Not going back ever!
    Audio Den

Audio Physic, B&W, Dynaudio, Magnepan, Paradigm, Golden Ear, Wilson Audio, Audio Research, Anthem, Arye, Bel Canto, Classe, Constellation Audio, Esoteric, JL Audio, Marantz, McIntosh, NAD, Parasound, PrimaLuna, Rotel, Simaudio, Technics, Clearaudio, Dr. Feickert, EAT, Pro-Ject, Thorens, Benz Micro, Denon, Grado, Ortofon, Sumiko, Audioquest, Nordost, Shunyata, Transparent Cable, Audeze, Sennheiser, King Sound, Master and Dynamic, Okki Nokki and many others.

I think that is why I've been on the fence about stylus cleaning fluids. I have an Ortofon 2M Bronze. I've also read some suggestions against it from a couple of other cartridge makes. So I figured if there are a few who are against the use of liquids, there must be good reason.

I may pick up a zerodust just to have on hand, even though I use Magic Erasure.

Taking a break

I may pick up a zerodust just to have on hand, even though I use Magic Erasure.
    This type of Magic Erasure? http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...magic%20eraser

Onzow Zerodust on every record turn. Nothing else. It is recommended the safeset way is to dunk only... but many of us push with our confidently steady hands.

Speakeasy

David.......That's it. Cut a square about one inch out of the Magic Eraser and glue it to a quarter. The coin will give it weight and make it easier to move under your stylus. If your are worried about scratching the turntable plinth with the quarter put a small piece if sticky-back felt on the bottom of the quarter.
    Dan

Taking a break

Dan...what do you use: Magic Eraser or ZeroDust?

I use the Ortofon supplied little stiff/dense black brush every record turn and the zerodust about every five LP's. Sometimes the zerodust gets stuff unseen or adhered that the brush must miss.

When my zerodust gets fouled with little micro-blobs of crud I wash it with warm soapy water and rinse well and air dry to renew it. I do this about every 6 months or so.
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Audioshark

Use the brush that came with your stylus (brushing back to front only, obviously). Nothing more, nothing less.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

David.......I use Zerodust. It' simple to use and works very well to keep the stylus spotless. I just lower the stylus onto the Zerodust, then raise it back up. That's it.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
    This type of Magic Erasure? Amazon.com: magic eraser
    Yes, but you want to make sure you get the plain original/standard version.
    One four brick box will last you for at least a decade. You cut a small square from a brick, say 1 to 1.5 inches. I got little plastic containers with lids and cut to size. Then use the same way you would a zerodust.

Quote Originally Posted by Double-D View Post
    David.......That's it. Cut a square about one inch out of the Magic Eraser and glue it to a quarter. The coin will give it weight and make it easier to move under your stylus. If your are worried about scratching the turntable plinth with the quarter put a small piece if sticky-back felt on the bottom of the quarter.
    Neat idea Dan. It also makes the one inch square of M.E. worth more. Hee hee, high-end M.E.

David.......I use Zerodust. It' simple to use and works very well to keep the stylus spotless. I just lower the stylus onto the Zerodust, then raise it back up. That's it.
    Even with M.E., I use the queuing control because I don't trust my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Onzow Zerodust on every record turn. Nothing else. It is recommended the safeset way is to dunk only... but many of us push with our confidently steady hands.
    Dunk only for me. My hands are definitely not confidently steady.
    Audio Den

Audio Physic, B&W, Dynaudio, Magnepan, Paradigm, Golden Ear, Wilson Audio, Audio Research, Anthem, Arye, Bel Canto, Classe, Constellation Audio, Esoteric, JL Audio, Marantz, McIntosh, NAD, Parasound, PrimaLuna, Rotel, Simaudio, Technics, Clearaudio, Dr. Feickert, EAT, Pro-Ject, Thorens, Benz Micro, Denon, Grado, Ortofon, Sumiko, Audioquest, Nordost, Shunyata, Transparent Cable, Audeze, Sennheiser, King Sound, Master and Dynamic, Okki Nokki and many others.

Yes, but you want to make sure you get the plain original/standard version.
    One four brick box will last you for at least a decade. You cut a small square from a brick, say 1 to 1.5 inches. I got little plastic containers with lids and cut to size. Then use the same way you would a zerodust.
    I'm honestly surprised. The Zerodust costs virtually nothing and lasts a very long time. You're talking about cartridges that cost sometimes thousands of dollars , its amazing anyone would want to take the risk. I have 10 tonearm/cart combos and the Zerodust is pretty much all I use. Liquids are a no-no - since they can travel up the cantilever and as far as the brush is concerned its all too easy to damage the suspension using this.

If you already clean your records with a Record Cleaning Machine you really don't need anything except for a small brush to wipe any fluff off from time to time.
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Zerodust - why didn't I think of that?
    Bruce in PA

I use a toothpick to hold and manipulate the small cube of Magic Eraser.
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods
    Amps: CAT Legend -> CAT JL7s
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon->Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna Elation ICs & SCs / Shunyata Denali 6000T & PC's / Furutech outlets

Taking a break

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    If you already clean your records with a Record Cleaning Machine you really don't need anything except for a small brush to wipe any fluff off from time to time.

I had not considered that but you have a point. My vinyl is really clean. Between using a VPI HW27 Typhoon, Audio Desk and a Klaudio. They are fairly clean! I've yet to need to clean the stylus. I just assumed I can not see the debris.

Even so, we don't play records in a vacuum. There are many forms of particulates, most of which are oily excretions that flake off our bodies and vacate our orifices.

Speakeasy

Quote Originally Posted by Bobolaclune View Post
    I'm honestly surprised. The Zerodust costs virtually nothing and lasts a very long time. You're talking about cartridges that cost sometimes thousands of dollars , its amazing anyone would want to take the risk. I have 10 tonearm/cart combos and the Zerodust is pretty much all I use. Liquids are a no-no - since they can travel up the cantilever and as far as the brush is concerned its all too easy to damage the suspension using this.
    I'm not clear what you are getting at or getting from what I said.
    Just to be sure though, I never even inferred that the zerodust doesn't last or that it was in some way an inferior product. I'm even picking one up myself now that it can be easily had. I only commented on Magic Eraser in particular in a direct answer to a direct question from the OP. The only mention of zerodust was regarding the way one uses magic eraser. I also never stated that one should only use magic eraser. I happen to use magic eraser since I did not have a zerodust and both work essentially the same way only the zerodust is stickier while the M.E. uses a different material.
    It has never been proven that using magic eraser is taking a risk or any more risk than using zerodust. The only risk there is and it's the same for both, is misuse or careless use of them and the results would be the same.
    I'll soon have both M.E. and Zerodust, so what is the problem.
    I totally agree about liquids too. In fact, the other risk with those I was thinking about is the way the stylus is mounted, such as the bonding agent used and what interaction the chosen liquid may have with it. I see liquids as the big risk and it don't matter if it's a $5000 Lyra or a $100 Ortofon or whatever. Who wants to damage an uber expensive cart and stylus or purchase a less expensive cart/stylus every 3 months because the liquid did something?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Even so, we don't play records in a vacuum. There are many forms of particulates, most of which are oily excretions that flake off our bodies and vacate our orifices.
    Also the particulates in the air in our homes from the kitchen and any pets and if there is a smoker and and all manner of stuff that land on the record when you take it out of the sleeve to play it, especially if you like to play without the dust cover on. Even regular "dry" dust is not so dry, it mixes with the other particulates that are sticky and that what makes some dust fall faster due to the extra weight from other particulates. (This is one reason I don't use the air dry in the dish rack method).

No cause for paranoia. It may be that the needle picks nothing up, especially if one also does a dusting brush before or after playing a record, it's still considered a best practice to take care of the stylus while your up.

I'm not clear what you are getting at or getting from what I said.
    Just to be sure though, I never even inferred that the zerodust doesn't last or that it was in some way an inferior product. I'm even picking one up myself now that it can be easily had. I only commented on Magic Eraser in particular in a direct answer to a direct question from the OP. The only mention of zerodust was regarding the way one uses magic eraser. I also never stated that one should only use magic eraser. I happen to use magic eraser since I did not have a zerodust and both work essentially the same way only the zerodust is stickier while the M.E. uses a different material.
    It has never been proven that using magic eraser is taking a risk or any more risk than using zerodust. The only risk there is and it's the same for both, is misuse or careless use of them and the results would be the same.
    I'll soon have both M.E. and Zerodust, so what is the problem.
    I totally agree about liquids too. In fact, the other risk with those I was thinking about is the way the stylus is mounted, such as the bonding agent used and what interaction the chosen liquid may have with it. I see liquids as the big risk and it don't matter if it's a $5000 Lyra or a $100 Ortofon or whatever. Who wants to damage an uber expensive cart and stylus or purchase a less expensive cart/stylus every 3 months because the liquid did something?
    Getting at ? Or Getting? Problem?

Inferences?

Feel free to draw your own as you've obviously seen fit to do. I am making no comments implied, insinuated, assumed or tacitly suggested. My surprise was simply at the usage of a product for an application it was not clearly designed for. Whether it works or has been "proven" (by whom ? who's actually going to fess up to wrecking a multi-thousand Dollar cartridge by using a ME?) , I find that I would rather buy a product designed for the job, that lasts a very long time and whose cost is de minimus in the context of cartridge cost. But that's me , some may feel the risk is very worthwhile.

Some dark humor on the topic...I read this thread yesterday and realized I hadn't cleaned my Benz lps in awhile. Pulled the Zerodust out and shazam clean needle right before bedtime. But all night long I had a dream I was carrying my cartridge with me with needle exposed, at a hotel among people needing to cross a river etc. One long dream of my expensive cartridge being held by me and in peril.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpod4 View Post
    Some dark humor on the topic...I read this thread yesterday and realized I hadn't cleaned my Benz lps in awhile. Pulled the Zerodust out and shazam clean needle right before bedtime. But all night long I had a dream I was carrying my cartridge with me with needle exposed, at a hotel among people needing to cross a river etc. One long dream of my expensive cartridge being held by me and in peril.
    Dpod4.......The subconscious mind can wreck havoc on our sleep with the worries of our conscious thoughts. I am surprised you were able to remember the dream.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dpod4 View Post
    At my age Darrin, I'd be delighted with a dream like that , I'm usually worried about a lot more than my needle being exposed......

Quote Originally Posted by Bobolaclune View Post
    Getting at ? Or Getting? Problem?

Inferences?

Feel free to draw your own as you've obviously seen fit to do. I am making no comments implied, insinuated, assumed or tacitly suggested. My surprise was simply at the usage of a product for an application it was not clearly designed for. Whether it works or has been "proven" (by whom ? who's actually going to fess up to wrecking a multi-thousand Dollar cartridge by using a ME?) , I find that I would rather buy a product designed for the job, that lasts a very long time and whose cost is de minimus in the context of cartridge cost. But that's me , some may feel the risk is very worthwhile.
    Sorry, I may have misunderstood part of what you said. I know what you mean here and I can't argue it because there is no argument. There are some folks with expensive cartridges that will use magic eraser, believe it or not, I've run into them. On the other hand in backing your statement, I do wonder that if they bothered to spend four digits or something on the cart, why not spend the extra $60 (less now) on a zerodust? I admit it makes no sense (unless of course they spent all the money they have on the cart, but where it me, I would have factored in the cost of the zerodust, but that's me).
    I'm only saying the two products do the same thing with different material and the damage risk is the same, however with the zerodust being a lot more sticky than M.E., it may be that it does a better job. (That's why I ordered a zerodust, to see for myself and it certainly won't hurt to use it from now on anyway).
    I read someplace that the material we know as zerodust was not originally designed for cleaning needles either, but I'll be darned if I can find that now. Doesn't much matter though since it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
    I had not considered that but you have a point. My vinyl is really clean. Between using a VPI HW27 Typhoon, Audio Desk and a Klaudio. They are fairly clean! I've yet to need to clean the stylus. I just assumed I can not see the debris.
    +1

I'm always blown away by just how dirty the Onzow gets.

But based upon my finding you need to reclean US cleaned LPs regularly, there's something more going on than is being appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
    +1

I'm always blown away by just how dirty the Onzow gets.

But based upon my finding you need to reclean US cleaned LPs regularly, there's something more going on than is being appreciated.
    Just for clarity, this is even after being cleaned to within an inch of the record's life with fluids, vacuum, ultrasonics or all of that?
    Don't get me wrong, I am habitual about cleaning my stylus as mentioned, no matter the record. With that statement, I can hardly wait to get delivery of my Zerodust. I've never seen anything come off on my magic eraser or stylus brush. Doesn't mean there isn't something still on the stylus though even with my religious habit.

I agree about recleaning LPS, but I would think it would be any LPs and not just US ones, accounting for what settles on them when they are out of their jackets, I could be wrong. I wonder if it has something to do with the way LPs are pressed in the US verses elsewhere?

Sorry, I may have misunderstood part of what you said. I know what you mean here and I can't argue it because there is no argument. There are some folks with expensive cartridges that will use magic eraser, believe it or not, I've run into them. On the other hand in backing your statement, I do wonder that if they bothered to spend four digits or something on the cart, why not spend the extra $60 (less now) on a zerodust? I admit it makes no sense (unless of course they spent all the money they have on the cart, but where it me, I would have factored in the cost of the zerodust, but that's me).
    I'm only saying the two products do the same thing with different material and the damage risk is the same, however with the zerodust being a lot more sticky than M.E., it may be that it does a better job. (That's why I ordered a zerodust, to see for myself and it certainly won't hurt to use it from now on anyway).
    I read someplace that the material we know as zerodust was not originally designed for cleaning needles either, but I'll be darned if I can find that now. Doesn't much matter though since it works.
    I apologize if the following is repetitive as I've not read every post in this thread.

I use the zerodust about every third or fourth side, lightly. barely dipping the stylus into the surface. I always make sure my glasses are on for that action.

the Magic Eraser is more for when I feel a more aggressive cleaning is needed. sometimes I will take a q-tip and dip it in water and dab that on the stylus first to allow anything that might have built up and dried on to dissolve slightly. I know the water will not wick up the cantilever like some chemicals. my philosophy is always "don't mess with stuff any more than you need to", and "beware of unintended consequences". and I always do this un-muted so the system will tell me if I got too aggressive.

if you observe Magic Eraser under a microscope you see lots of stiff/sharp little loops that grab and cut at stuff. so it's critical that you drag the magic eraser softly in the correct direction since it can easily snag and ruin your day.

Also the particulates in the air in our homes from the kitchen and any pets and if there is a smoker and and all manner of stuff that land on the record when you take it out of the sleeve to play it, especially if you like to play without the dust cover on. Even regular "dry" dust is not so dry, it mixes with the other particulates that are sticky and that what makes some dust fall faster due to the extra weight from other particulates. (This is one reason I don't use the air dry in the dish rack method).

No cause for paranoia. It may be that the needle picks nothing up, especially if one also does a dusting brush before or after playing a record, it's still considered a best practice to take care of the stylus while your up.
    The act of playing a record creates a vortex that when combined with the LP's inherant static charge sucks crap out of the air. Maybe not so bad in the country but for us urban dwellers....
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Goldmund Telos 1000 Nextgen mono amplifiers, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi Audio EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostages, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

The act of playing a record creates a vortex that when combined with the LP's inherant static charge sucks crap out of the air. Maybe not so bad in the country but for us urban dwellers....
    Myles.......Trust me, there's plenty of airborne particulates out here in the country. Pine tree pollen, oak tree pollen, hay fields being cut in the summer with plenty of stuff floating away. Yes, the country air is sweet to breath but there's plenty of airborne micro debris that loves to find its way into our homes and ultimately wants to settle on everything including my records when they are out of the inner sleeve and jacket.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post

the Magic Eraser is more for when I feel a more aggressive cleaning is needed. sometimes I will take a q-tip and dip it in water and dab that on the stylus first to allow anything that might have built up and dried on to dissolve slightly. I know the water will not wick up the cantilever like some chemicals. my philosophy is always "don't mess with stuff any more than you need to", and "beware of unintended consequences". and I always do this un-muted so the system will tell me if I got too aggressive.

if you observe Magic Eraser under a microscope you see lots of stiff/sharp little loops that grab and cut at stuff. so it's critical that you drag the magic eraser softly in the correct direction since it can easily snag and ruin your day.
    This is why I use the Magic Eraser like you do a Zerodust. Any of those little loops, even with the lightest touch can ruin your day. I never drag the M.E. in any direction in any manner. Then again, I'm timid using a stylus brush too even though I do.

I don't know that I would use water myself either. Water may be an actual solvent when you break down it's parts, but not string enough to much of anything as a solvent. However, while it may not do anything to the stylus itself, doesn't the cantilever pretty much wick any liquid it comes in contact with and wouldn't water rust it? I could be wrong, just my personal thinking it through.

True that too even at 33 1/3 RPM, it's fast enough! Heck the record doesn't even have to be moving in my opinion, darn evil crap in the air. In my place I can dust and 3 days later it looks like I haven't dusted in 4 weeks.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Stylus Care: What's Your Method