Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Rockport Sirius III Turntable

Looks like Mike Grellman (he of the well-known Wired article on audiophiles) is putting his prized Sirius up for sale. Wonder what's replacing it? Now that's a Turntable.....

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/tu...06-danville-ca

The Audiophile Next Door Shows Off His Suburban Playground of Sound

Shodhan

Re: Rockport Sirius III Turntable

Hah - nothing's replacing it - he said it's his "spare"......

Banned

You got that right! (and i'm not even a vinyl guy)

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    You got that right! (and i'm not even a vinyl guy)
    550 lbs ........ wonder how I get it down to my basement . Mark Jones is comfortable with heaving Tenor amps around , I'll get him to do it

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Bobolaclune View Post
    550 lbs ........ wonder how I get it down to my basement . Mark Jones is comfortable with heaving Tenor amps around , I'll get him to do it
    And don't forget massive speakers (Paul's Westies and Ian's M's for example).
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

You don't get off that easy Mike. You'll also be required......

Audioshark

You don't get off that easy Mike. You'll also be required......
    I have people for that. Rockport Sirius III Turntable

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I live on the kindness of Friends . That way I get to maximize the audio budget.......

Shodhan...the Siruis III is a truly sought-after classic. Andy should make a commemorative edition. If he does they will easily sell for $200K plus in today's market.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Cyril - don't make me any crazier than I am at this instant......

Mike's the one holding me back, by refusing to contribute muscle power

Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Audioshark

Call Paul.

Hey Shodhan

I will give you hand getting that thing in your basement. I got a 14 year old son that is strong as a horse too.

Paul

If he can get anything close to the asking price maybe I should consider putting up my Sirius II LE for sale. Nah.
    Brian Walsh
    Music Direct

in 2002 I purchased a Rockport Sirius III; and was privilidged to own it until 2012. Mr. Grellman was the 'frontman' and handled the sale to me back then, but the owner was another audio luminary that did not want to soil his hands with the sale. I would assume this is also the case here.

when I purchased that Sirius III I had to haul it out of a basement in Marin county and there are some very heavy pieces that are quite difficult with 2 people up a narrow stairway. the Plinth is close to 200 pounds by itself. and it's packed in a wooden crate. the stand is about 150 pounds when disassembled. the other pieces are heavy but not too bad.

assembly is actually quite straight forward, and the build quality is unlike anything else ever done in high end audio; with the possible exception of the Studer A-820 RTR deck. there is no reason that it should have any issues. the only thing to consider is that the guy who designed the power supply/controller passed away a few years back. you should investigate who could repair it should it be required. the mechanicals are all super duper industrial grade and will outlive anyone reading this forum.

there is no doubt that the Sirius III is the Darth Vader of audio. from a intimidation perspective it's the bomb. and it is a great sounding turntable.

however; there is a reason I no longer own it. like any 20 year old design, there are areas of it's 'closed system' that have been bettered in the last 20 years......so it's no longer thee 'world's best' sounding tt system (just my own opinion, of course...YMMV) but it is still a great iconic piece of audio gear and I still wish I could have afforded to keep it as it will always be something very special.

I am fortunate enough to have acquired a Sirius II SE recently, apparently the exact one that was owned by Mike before

There are some aging parts in the pneumatic stand, which I have contacted the OEM company to get replacement.

However, the biggest problem I am facing is the user manual is incomplete, so a lot of guess work is required to do the set up.

As such, if any member, especially Mike and Brian, has a copy of the complete manual, I would be grateful if you could send me a copy.

Thank in advance!

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum thekong! Thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Welcome and congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by thekong View Post
    I am fortunate enough to have acquired a Sirius II SE recently, apparently the exact one that was owned by Mike before

There are some aging parts in the pneumatic stand, which I have contacted the OEM company to get replacement.

However, the biggest problem I am facing is the user manual is incomplete, so a lot of guess work is required to do the set up.

As such, if any member, especially Mike and Brian, has a copy of the complete manual, I would be grateful if you could send me a copy.

Thank in advance!
    hello thekong,

congrats on the Sirius II SE. it is a very special sounding tt and worth a bit of loving investigation and futzing. I loved my time with it back in 2001.

I will look around to see if I have any remnants of instructions. it is also possible that Andy Payor has a copy he can send you. Andy was always very helpful to me and any other Rockport owner that asked. don't be afraid to contact him and ask him questions.

best regards,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by thekong View Post

Thank in advance!
    I'm sorry I didn't reply to your email. I've lost track of the instructions but am fairly sure Andy Payor could send them to you, so give him a call. Incidentally, there are at least a couple of places in the instructions where it is incomplete and says something like "call for information"
    Brian Walsh
    Music Direct

theKong,

I did just search thru my file cabinet and came up empty. I also looked on my computer in my old files and could not find it.

sorry. I do recommend again to ask Andy Payor and you will likely get some help.

Thank you joeinid and Mike for the welcome!

Thank you Mike Lavigne and Brian for the advice, I will certainly give Andy Payor a call!

[QUOTE=thekong;133561]Thank you joeinid and Mike for the welcome!

Thank you Mike Lavigne and Brian for the advice, I will certainly give Andy Payor a call!

Did you get a chance to speak to Andy how are you getting on with the Rockport?

Have been busy lately, so haven't had time to call Andy yet! But the replacement parts for the pneumatic stand have just arrived, so hopeful can start the setup in the next couple of weeks.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team