Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Axpona 2015 - Best...and not so best of....

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    thanks for the show report and the effort. if you'd like some constructive criticism--and I very well might be in the minority--but I think the high end needs to market itself more effectively to younger people and you could use your platform to do it more.
    As you can see we reach a wide age demographic. We have more under the age of 44 than over!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Founder: AVShowrooms featuring video reports of audio shows, company tours and reviews. Resume' includes; the absolute sound, Stereophile, Listener Magazine, founder Philadelphia Audio Society. Top articles: Lamm ML3- TAS, YG Anat III Signatures- TAS, Ayon- TAS, Coincident Speaker Technology- TAS, Single Ended Survey- TAS, Fisher 500c- Stereophile, Bozak CGs- Stereophile, Box Sets- Listener, Dynaco ST70-Listener. Best catch phase: Bugatti of Audio.

That's really great Peter. I would have never guessed that by looking down the halls at shows.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Breuninger View Post
    As you can see we reach a wide age demographic. We have more under the age of 44 than over!

The old 55 and up age blanket which I reside just keeps getting smaller and smaller, why! maybe it has to do with our hearing, our budgets and other important priorities in life.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Audioshark

Peter - that's very interesting. I would suspect the headphone crowd helps those demographic numbers. Also, in one of the rooms, I was pleasantly surprised to have sat beside two lovely ladies who were hard core audiophiles. They told me they were both single professionals and loved music. We discussed their gear (all top drawer stuff) and what their plans were for system improvements. They were very impressed with the Resolution Acoustics room and both were seeking better ways to treat their rooms.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    That's really great Peter. I would have never guessed that by looking down the halls at shows.
    my guess is more like a lot of older audiophiles don't use the internet as much as younger ones, which skews the distribution.

i think the subject material could have also been more representative of a younger audiophile and having a John Darko type on the panel would have reached a broader audience. again, this is just my opinion and could be worth a grain of salt. I do enjoy Peter's enthusiasm which comes through wonderfully on camera.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Peter, how is that information gathered? Is that from registrations?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 XTRM, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Tosca arm; SME 3012R arm, Ortofon Diamond Anna; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Taiko Audio Extreme> Lampizator Horizon, Oppo UDP-203;

Quote Originally Posted by dminches View Post
    Intersting question. I have never provided my age when I register for anything.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

LoL

Your profession is showing. PhillipAC from ACircle though retired is also from the same profession.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    LoL

Your profession is showing. PhillipAC from ACircle though retired is also from the same profession.
    Yea. I have spent my life understanding data and making sure it is used in a manner consistent with how it is gathered.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 XTRM, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Tosca arm; SME 3012R arm, Ortofon Diamond Anna; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Taiko Audio Extreme> Lampizator Horizon, Oppo UDP-203;

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    Me too! I haven't seen as many walkers and canes like I saw at Axpona 2015 since the last time I went to a Steely Dan concert.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Actually there's been a change in delivery - and unlike most reviews - for the better. Nick's coming by Wed. to drop the 3.0 phono stage off.

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
    Actually there's been a change in delivery - and unlike most reviews - for the better. Nick's coming by Wed. to drop the 3.0 phono stage by.

Great news Myles!
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

My least favorite rooms were the Martin Logan. Every ML room we went into sounded bright. I don't know if it was the music, room acoustics or the gear. Even my friends that were with me complained about the ML's sounding bright.

The Quad room was also a disappointment. I had never heard Quad's before and they were not my cup of tea and that's coming from a Maggie owner.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Axpona 2015 - Best...and not so best of....

It asked me for my age range when I purchased my tickets on line. Glad to see I helped bring down the average age a bit

No headphones for me either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Speakers - Magico S5mk2 Integrated - Vitus SIA-025 Analog - Vpi Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze Digital - Lumin A1
    Power - Shunyata Denali 6000S/Alpha HC/Alpha Digital Cables - Kimber KS-6063/Nordost Frey IC

Actually there's been a change in delivery - and unlike most reviews - for the better. Nick's coming by Wed. to drop the 3.0 phono stage off.
    Great Myles. I think I win the prize for asking you the most times when you where going to get it in. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
    Great Myles. I think I win the prize for asking you the most times when you where going to get it in. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Now just have to get the phono cable Jim mentioned from Transparent.

Axpona 2015 - Best...and not so best of....

Nick's phono! Ask him for the tape stage instead

Quote Originally Posted by No Regrets View Post
    Myles,

What did you think of the High Water Sound room? I believe Jeffrey was utilizing the Audia Flight amplifiers with Verity speakers, TW Acustic Raven GT SE table and Tron phono stage.
    Jeff had no Tron this time. The phono stage was a 3 input soon to be remote controllable, by TW Acustic for $14k.

Yea. I have spent my life understanding data and making sure it is used in a manner consistent with how it is gathered.
    Yup and in that field you MUST be very good at it.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Peter - that's very interesting. I would suspect the headphone crowd helps those demographic numbers. Also, in one of the rooms, I was pleasantly surprised to have sat beside two lovely ladies who were hard core audiophiles. They told me they were both single professionals and loved music. We discussed their gear (all top drawer stuff) and what their plans were for system improvements. They were very impressed with the Resolution Acoustics room and both were seeking better ways to treat their rooms.
    Did you tell them to come here to post? More ladies here can only "class up the joint". LoL. Seriously, they sound hard core and could have a lot to contribute.
    NORMAN

Interestingly, we don't do headphones, perhaps 10 out of 1500 videos has headphone oriented themes (Canjam- walk through, stuff like that).
    Founder: AVShowrooms featuring video reports of audio shows, company tours and reviews. Resume' includes; the absolute sound, Stereophile, Listener Magazine, founder Philadelphia Audio Society. Top articles: Lamm ML3- TAS, YG Anat III Signatures- TAS, Ayon- TAS, Coincident Speaker Technology- TAS, Single Ended Survey- TAS, Fisher 500c- Stereophile, Bozak CGs- Stereophile, Box Sets- Listener, Dynaco ST70-Listener. Best catch phase: Bugatti of Audio.

Audioshark

Interestingly, we don't do headphones, perhaps 10 out of 1500 videos has headphone oriented themes (Canjam- walk through, stuff like that).
    I misunderstood. I thought we were looking at Axpona attendee demographics. My apologies.

Anyway, the stats do look very promising. Good to see some younger folks taking an interest.

Would be very curious as to how you collect the data, since I've watch a lot of your videos, but don't recall entering my personal data. Perhaps this is from YouTube when people log in through their YouTube accounts?

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

The irony is that there are those that think that digital hasn't improved since 1980, measures perfectly, 16/44 is all we need and Waldrep is peddling snake oil and superfluous.
    Cookie speaks!

The Producer?s Perspective: Why I Prefer Recording to Analog Tape | Performer Mag

I misunderstood. I thought we were looking at Axpona attendee demographics. My apologies.

Anyway, the stats do look very promising. Good to see some younger folks taking an interest.

Would be very curious as to how you collect the data, since I've watch a lot of your videos, but don't recall entering my personal data. Perhaps this is from YouTube when people log in through their YouTube accounts?
    You know Mike you raised a good question. How does Peter get those demographic numbers. I just watched a couple AVShow Axpona 2015 youtube videos, and I didn't log in nor did I subscribe.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

The numbers are pure Youtube viewer demographics for that one channel.

I don't subscribe to any Youtube channels either. I suspect our data miners at Google/Youtube triangulate each view based on cookies and sites last visited.

Trust me, "they" know everything about us. That one form that we filled in our age five years ago... that's part of our IP address data.

Audioshark

The numbers are pure Youtube viewer demographics for that one channel.

I don't subscribe to any Youtube channels either. I suspect our data miners at Google/Youtube triangulate each view based on cookies and sites last visited.

Trust me, "they" know everything about us. That one form that we filled in our age five years ago... that's part of our IP address data.
    You're right Peter. If anyone was to dig into a Google Adword campaign and the tools they have available, it's SPOOKY!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the link:

Axpona 2015

Audioshark

Thanks Peter! The three of you in the Axpona report are the best three you've ever had IMO. Great great job!

Audioshark

http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/axpona-2015-coverage/

"Resolution Acoustics performed an interesting experiment: they commandeered two identical rooms, one of which was untreated, and the other treated with about $30,000 of their acoustic treatments. Each room was outfitted with the same Pass Labs XA100.5 monoblocks ($16,500/pair) and Sonus Faber Stradavari Homage loudspeakers. Centrally located were a Pass Labs XP-30 preamplifier ($16,500) and Mac Mini feeding a Meitner MA-1 DAC ($7000) (reviewed here) routing the same music to both rooms simultaneously. It should come as no surprise that the treated room sounded legions better – more focused with a rock-solid soundstage, with instruments precisely located, full bass without overhang, an unmuddied midrange, and crystal clear treble. Very enlightening."

I'm biased but think this is our best effort yet to date!

Just got the time to listen to this. Well done overall presentations gentlemen. Thanks.

That said, Peter, I love you dude, but the HFT's again....really? I must be a dumbo-head but I just can not (even a little bit) believe this is anything but psychological. Frankly, when I hear you say such things it just makes me question all of your otherwise very thoughtful insights. Someone please give me any remotely plausible explanation as to how these can impact SQ. I am always happy to learn and I will must humbly apologize to our friend Peter if I am missing something.

Re: Axpona 2015 - Fantastic sounding Speaker

Re: Axpona 2015 - Fantastic sounding Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    funny, i found this video a bit unnatural sounding. there is hardly any instrument decay. admittedly, its a youtube video so might be hard to judge that component.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

LMAO judging the sound of equipment via YouTube.
    George
    -----------------------

Aurender ACS10 Music Server > Holo Audio May KTE R2R Ladder DAC > Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Renaissance ELS 15A Speakers