Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Vac Sigma 160i with the Harbeth SHL5 PLUS

I know Mr. Shaw thinks its a waste for money to use a really good amp for his speakers but i am throwing caution to the wind and thinking about using the VAC 160i for the amp. Is there anyone that has used this combination or heard it with this combination. Would love to hear some observations for the pairing.

Thank you in advance,
    Ken

Super Moderator

Re: Vac Sigma 160i with the Harbeth SHL5 PLUS

Ken,

Based on my experience with my 30.1 first and now my 40.1's, ANY Harbeth speaker will certainly benefit from an amp upgrade.

Usually a little more power helps goose them a little but as I progressively went up the line with what amps I have in my room, holy cow! does it get better? Absolutely!

Even putting KT-150's in my Jolida made a huge difference on my 40.1's. I loved my Hegel H30 on them but the ART monos just take the cake on them. I am astounded at how much better they can sound with an amp change.

I truly believe that what Alan Shaw says is a marketing thing. His goal is to sell speakers and if he puts you at ease regarding your amp(s), you will most likely buy them anyway. Eventually we all get the itch to change amps/gear and the Harbeth will clearly show the differences.

I have not tried VAC but I've had, everything from McIntosh MC275's (both stereo and monos), MC601's, Naim Supernait2 with HiCap2, McIntosh MC225, Jolida Fusion 3502 (with EL34 and KT150), ART monos, Hegel H30, Pass XA60.5's, Musical Fidelity NuVista MF800, Line Magnetic LM219IA, Devialet 400, and probably something else that I can't remember. How's that for a list?

In every case it was not bad, in fact great, but only got better as I moved up the line.
    Last edited by joeinid; April 7, 2015 at 01:34 AM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Ken,

Based on my experience with my 30.1 first and now my 40.1's, ANY Harbeth speaker will certainly benefit from an amp upgrade.

Usually a little more power helps goose them a little but as I progressively went up the line with what amps I have in my room, holy cow! does it get better? Absolutely!

Even putting KT-150's in my Jolida made a huge difference on my 40.1's. I loved my Hegel H30 on them but the ART monos just take the cake on them. I am astounded at how much better they can sound with an amp change.

I truly believe that what Alan Shaw says is a marketing thing. His goal is to sell speakers and if he puts you at ease regarding your amp(s), you will most likely buy them anyway. Eventually we all get the itch to change amps/gear and the Harbeth will clearly show the differences.

I have not tried VAC but I've had, everything from McIntosh MC275's (both stereo and monos), MC601's, Naim Supernait2 with HiCap2, McIntosh MC225, Jolida Fusion 3502 (with EL34 and KT150), ART monos, Hegel H30, Pass XA60.5's, Musical Fidelity NuVista MF800, Line Magnetic LM219IA, Devialet 400, and probably something else that I can't remember. How's that for a list?

In every case it was not bad, in fact great, but only got better as I moved up the line.
    I also think that Mr. Shaw's statements about using "any amp" with "reasonable power" may be geared more towards marketing than towards science.

When you speak of moving "up the line," do you mean power-wise?

Ken,

I fully agree.
    Don't let the marketing speech of A. Shaw fools you.
    Mr Shaw is a wonderful speaker designer / engineer. But he is also a very strong marketing guy.
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kkfan View Post
    I also think that Mr. Shaw's statements about using "any amp" with "reasonable power" may be geared more towards marketing than towards science.

When you speak of moving "up the line," do you mean power-wise?
    For the most part, power-wise yes. My ART monos just kill on the 40.1's. Big, wide and deep soundstage, tremendous layering, effortless sound, slightly sweet, glorious mid-range, perfect vocals and tremendous bass (make sure you have a big room). Just a wonderful, easy to listen to combination.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
    I fully agree.
    Mr Shaw is a wonderful speaker designer / engineer. But he is also a very strong marketing guy.
    Hi Jerome!

You were so right on the 40.1's. I absolutely love them.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi Jerome!

You were so right on the 40.1's. I absolutely love them.
    Hi Joe !
    The more time you spend with them, the more you love them.
    I completely lost my curiosity for other speakers.
    I just keep playing with amps from time to time.
    Will get a Nagra MSA this week.
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

Super Moderator

Congratulations, the Nagra MSA should be awesome. Looking forward to your thoughts.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks Joe.
    We'll see. Either in the 40.1 system ( main ) or the second one ( Rega RS10 ).
    I think the 40.1 should love it.

Thanks for your observations, I was being sarcastic with the Allen Shaw statement. Joe how did the SuperNait w/Hicap stack up in your list of things tried? By the way I have tried all the Harbeths with the exception of the 40.1's and it wasn't until I tried the SHL5 Plus that I finally found his design to truly excellent, the others before it the Q of the box just got in the way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
    I fully agree.

Super Moderator

Hi Ken,

I have not heard the Super HL5+ speakers, that's one I'd love to own.

The 40.1 can be bass heavy so setup and room size are important.

The Naim was a great integrated. As much as I love solid state for its convenience and carefree nature, tube gear gives me the most satisfaction. You get that dimension, 3D, and mid range bloom that transforms what you are hearing. I've never heard better Naim gear than the Supernait2, but prefer my Pass XA60.5's over the Naim. I truly believe the newer point 8 Pass gear would be even better on Harbeth.

My personal feeling and taste says that the Harbeth speakers in general and my 40.1 in particular, need an amp that's a little bit more lit up in its presentation. For example, my Devialet sounds better to me on the 40.1's with the grills off, adding a little bit more sparkle. Most of my more powerful tube gear sounds great to me with the grills on, sometimes for fun, the grills come off.

NAD C 658 streamer.

it would be an interesting pair for the harbeths and sigma 160i... wonder if anyone ever tried the combo.

Super Moderator

I have not tried the VAC 160sei on Harbeth speakers but based on how great it was on my Strads, you will be in for a treat. It was wonderful on my Strads.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I have not tried the VAC 160sei on Harbeth speakers but based on how great it was on my Strads, you will be in for a treat. It was wonderful on my Strads.
    Thank you Joe!!!

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Vac Sigma 160i with the Harbeth SHL5 PLUS