Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Pass Labs Point 5 Series Will Be Discontinued Sept. 1, 2015

Reno Hi-Fi has posted on their website that the Pass Labs Point 5 Series will be discontinued on Sept. 1, 2015. They have also posted on their website that there will be a Point 8 Series price increase on Sept. 1, 2015. There is no change in price or production planned for the XP Series Preamps or the XS Series. Check out their website for further details.

Pass Labs In Stock
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Re: Pass Labs Point 5 Series Will Be Discontinued Sept. 1, 2015

Except the INT-30A based on the XA30.5 (and the INT-150) will still be available on special order after Sept 1, 2015 at a price increase.
    Keepin' it real,
    Wilson

WTL Amadeus with Shelter 501 II or Benz ACE SL > Aleph Ono
    Mac Mini/A+ > iUSB > Bel Canto uLink or PL1 > Ace Tomato DAC3 > Pass INT-30A > DeVore Nines, REL Strata III

Super Moderator

Oh boy, that gives me a little more time to get the Xs-150's
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Oh boy, that gives me a little more time to get the Xs-150's
    Why not go directly for the new INT-250?

Quote Originally Posted by kkfan View Post
    Why not go directly for the new INT-250?
    There's a pretty substantial price difference for one thing
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

Super Moderator

Actually, a pair of XA60.8's could be nice and certainly more than enough.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    There's a pretty substantial price difference for one thing
    Too true!

Actually, a pair of XA60.8's could be nice and certainly more than enough.
    Joe,

You would seriously love the XA-60.8's. In my opinion, they are more transparent, the imaging is more holographic, they have more robust bass, they deliver more current and they reach optimal performance in a shorter period of time than the XA-60.5's. The only drawback is more heat output because they are more heavily biased into Class A but the plus is the vertical heatsinks do a much better job of dissipating the heat more effectively as well as evenly.

Best,
    Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Super Moderator

Thanks Ken,

I am seriously considering them late this summer so I'll have them for the fall.

I love the 60.5's so I am sure the .8's will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Joe,

You would seriously love the XA-60.8's. In my opinion, they are more transparent, the imaging is more holographic, they have more robust bass, they deliver more current and they reach optimal performance in a shorter period of time than the XA-60.5's. The only drawback is more heat output because they are more heavily biased into Class A but the plus is the vertical heatsinks do a much better job of dissipating the heat more effectively as well as evenly.

Best,
    Ken

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks Ken,

I am seriously considering them late this summer so I'll have them for the fall.

I love the 60.5's so I am sure the .8's will be better.
    Joe,

That's awesome, definitely something to look forward to later this year. One thing I would recommend is doing the 10-day demo with Reno Hi-Fi. The overwhelming majority that have tried the Point 8 Series prefer them to the equivalent Point 5 Series amps. However, I did have one friend who demoed the XA-100.8's but preferred his XA-100.5's, so he ended up sticking with them. There was some question on his part if the XA-100.8's had sufficient break-in, they need A LOT of break-in! You'll need to run them 24/7 for the entire demo period to ensure they're fully burned in. My XA-100.8's were a demo pair and whoever had them previously must have really broken them in because they sounded phenomenal from day one.

Best,
    Ken

Super Moderator

Thanks Ken. I am looking forward to the new Pass flavor. I'll probably hang onto my 60.5's. The peak summer months for me will not be Pass-able (Ha!) so that's where the Devialet comes in handy.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks Ken. I am looking forward to the new Pass flavor. I'll probably hang onto my 60.5's. The peak summer months for me will not be Pass-able (Ha!) so that's where the Devialet comes in handy.
    Joe,

An amp for all seasons, I love it!

Ken

Super Moderator

Joe,

An amp for all seasons, I love it!

Ken

NAD C 658 streamer.

There was some question on his part if the XA-100.8's had sufficient break-in, they need A LOT of break-in! You'll need to run them 24/7 for the entire demo period to ensure they're fully burned in.
    Actually, the recommended break-in procedure is to leave the amps on continuously for the first 5 days, then turn them completely off each night (not standby) and on during the day for the next 5 days. They sound much better once they cold cycle a few times.
    Howard

Pass Labs XS 300's, XS Pre | Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series 3, Alpha USB Series 2 | Aurender W20SE, ACS10 | Magico S7's with MPOD's, QSub 15 x 2 | Shunyata Denali 2000T x 2 with Sigma HC | Shunyata Everest 8000 w/ Omega XC | MIT Heritage and Oracle Interconnects and speaker cables | Critical Mass Maxxum rack

Quote Originally Posted by The Sandman View Post
    Actually, the recommended break-in procedure is to leave the amps on continuously for the first 5 days, then turn them completely off each night (not standby) and on during the day for the next 5 days. They sound much better once they cold cycle a few times.
    Hi Howard,

You are absolutely right. I had totally forgotten this recommended break-in procedure. This is the best way to go.

Best,
    Ken

I'm really contemplating picking up a xa30.5 ( so many used units out there for under $2500 ) for my small office and feeding via a Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Super Moderator

Chris,

That is not a bad idea, getting the XA30.5, especially if the power level is fine for you. My XA60.5's are superb on my Strads. I am glad that I have them. Plus, these .5 series amps run about one half as hot as the equivalent point 8 series amps.
    Last edited by joeinid; April 3, 2015 at 11:03 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe, good point about the heat. I read the X600.8 were biased more into class A than the X600.5, and the .5 are killers in both heat, and electric bills.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Amplifier Watts* Amplifier Watts*
    -------------------------------------
    X-150.5 200 X-150.8 375
    X-260.5 200 X-260.8 375
    X-250.5 300 X-250.8 450
    X-350.5 600 X-350.8 550
    X-600.5 600 X-600.8 550

XA-30.5 200 XA-30.8 375
    XA-60.5 200 XA-60.8 375
    XA-100.5 300 XA-100.8 450
    XA-160.8 600 XA-160.8 550
    XA-200.5 700 XA-200.8 750

* Watts Consumed/Dissipated Per Amp

Guys are those amplifiers unavailable? I'm willing to Sell my XA 60.8 and buy the XA160.5 and do not see anything about that it won't be available on the Pass site.

Deleted.

Audioshark

ARGH! Pass Labs Point 5 Series Will Be Discontinued Sept. 1, 2015

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by slowikpl View Post
    Guys are those amplifiers unavailable? I'm willing to Sell my XA 60.8 and buy the XA160.5 and do not see anything about that it won't be available on the Pass site.
    http://renohifi.com/PassInStock.htm
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

Hello slowikpl ,

I have on the web (audiomakrt) that you will sell the XA60.8 and replace it with the XA160.5.

Why? the ,8 serie dont give you satisfaction? a XA100.8 is not enout (you have a speaker easy to drive ad the 60.8 or 100.8 are more as enough!!

thank you for reply

greets

The poin is that the .5 serie like more vs the .8 or what?

Quote Originally Posted by ddb71 View Post
    Hello slowikpl ,

I have on the web (audiomakrt) that you will sell the XA60.8 and replace it with the XA160.5.

Why? the ,8 serie dont give you satisfaction? a XA100.8 is not enout (you have a speaker easy to drive ad the 60.8 or 100.8 are more as enough!!

thank you for reply

greets

The poin is that the .5 serie like more vs the .8 or what?

Hello.

Well. I have a Aleph X and had .5 in the past. The .5 are not like the .8
    .8 are very neutral in sound and very very detailed and fast in sound.
    I prefer the .5 because they are sounding like Tube amplifier. Not as fast as .8 but warm in sound compared to .8.

My speakers are very transparant and hard sounding (,accuton plus duelund CAST capacitors ) perfect match for Tube like sound.

The .8 are better imho! Beter and bigger stage, super tight Bass. But my preference is Warm midrange combine with my speakers.

I hoop this is now clear?

Regards Robert

So my 60.8 are for sale. And i go to bank thate mortgage and buy the XA 160.5

I could go for the XA 200.5 used for the same price but if it's true ,can someone confirm this: 100.5 and 200.5 are more Tube like and 60.5 and 160.5 are little bit more neutral in sound?

Other thing is that 200.5 is much more heat, I think.

Speakers/Amp/Preamp: DIY closed 3-way/ AMP:???? / ARC Ref 6
    Sources: DAC Aqua La MKII , Marantz SACD SA11S1
    Cables/Power/Other:
    Transparent Audio Reference XL , DIY XLR Western Electric WE16GA

Hello.

Well. I have a Aleph X and had .5 in the past. The .5 are not like the .8
    .8 are very neutral in sound and very very detailed.
    I prefer the .5 because they are sounding like Tube amplifier. Not as fast as .8 and warm in sound.

My speakers are very transparant and hard sounding so perfect match for Tube like sound.

The .8 are better imho! Beter and bigger stage, super tight Bass.

I hoop this is now clear?

Regards Robert
    Ok, sure I understand.

at this pint the XA100.5 are more as enough, sure today a pair XA160.5 you can have for a good price....

in Polnad is not present a dealer for GrandiNote amplifier? I have listen GrandiNote amplifier and preampli-> are very very great.

If I sell my Pass I go with the GrandiNote. if a step up vs. Pass!!!! no way! pre Domino with 2 monos Demone (60Watt class A but are more from 100watt class A from Pass!!, you cn drive any, really any speaker with 60 GREAT CLASS A pure WATT)

to listen, remember!!!!

I heard the XA160.5 sounds best in the .5 series. So that's what I have. Never giving them up!
    George
    -----------------------

Aurender ACS10 Music Server > Holo Audio May KTE R2R Ladder DAC > Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Renaissance ELS 15A Speakers

Powered By 2X BPT 3.5 Signature Plus Ultra Isolators | Shunyata Research Hydra Triton + Typhon | Shunyata Hydra 2 Power Conditioner

I have to go with what Pass says about the X600.5

"Perhaps the most satisfying of the x.5 line in all sonic respects. Very high current monoblock amplifier for exceptional dynamic control, very articulate with very good spectral balance."
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioseduction View Post
    I heard the XA160.5 sounds best in the .5 series. So that's what I have. Never giving them up!
    I agree George. The XA-160.5 are my favorite Pass Labs amps after the XS-150. And that's saying something! Hold onto them. A future classic.

Best,
    Ken

and the "old" XA160 are so different from the 160.5 ?

sure the .5 is a killer amplifier but the 160 "simple" can give satisfaction again today?

(especially if purchased today for a 5-6 k. $$$)!!!

or Not?

I'm familiar with the. 5 serie and i love the sound of it. So for me the .5 is the way.

Cables/Power/Other:

Audioshark

I've owned several amps in the XA.5 series, had the pleasure of borrowing a XA100.8 (broken in) and currently have the XS150's. The XA.5 is great, especially the XA160.5. The XA.8 series is different, and in some ways better, but takes a long time to break in and hit its potential. It's a sweeter sound with tighter bass. The XA.5 series is a warmer, very tube/SET like sound, with what I would call "puffy" bass - just like some great tube amps. The appeal of the XA.5 series will never go away for many. I certainly loved my XA160.5's.

As for the XS, the take the best of the XA.5 and best of the XA.8 series and add a little extra too.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I have now the XA 60.8 for about 3 months. All i can say that I don't hear any sweetness from it's presentations. And they have more than 1000 hrs of burning in.
    So I personally don't think that the sweetness ever will be in amounts that I'm looking for. Or I'm wrong!?

They are better in bass and the stage laying.

Cables/Power/Other:

Audioshark

I have now the XA 60.8 for about 3 months. All i can say that I don't hear any sweetness from it's presentations. And they hame more than 1000 hrs of burning in.
    They are better in bass and the stage laying.
    So I personally don't think that the sweetness ever will be in amounts that I'm looking for. Or I'm wrong!?
    What preamp are you using? What cables?

The one I had was the XA100.8.

I have Pass XP 20 and Klotz 5000 DIY XLR cables. Full copper.
    I had Mogami but this was a disaster. No mids.

Cables/Power/Other:

Audioshark

I have Pass XP 20 and Klotz 5000 DIY XLR cables. Full copper.
    I had Mogami but this was a disaster. No mids.
    With the REF6 coming out, there are some great deals on a REF5SE and if you can squeeze it out money wise, Siltech 500i Classic anniversary speaker cables would add some sweetness.

I recently had the opportunity to try a friend's X250.8 in my system, which features Focal Scala V2 speakers and my existing Accuphase C2420 preamp. Well, in the final analysis, there's good and bad to report. First, the good: 1.) Very solid powerful bass 2.) Excellent detail 3.) Spacious, large sound stage 4.) Exciting dynamics 5.) Very quiet background 6.) Quiet transformer and heat sinks. And now the bad: 1.) slightly scooped out, recessed midrange 2.) frequency extremes in the bass and treble are boosted 3.) upper midrange and treble are thin 4.) some harshness on less than perfect discs. Overall, a very impressive piece of work for the money. However, Pass missed the mark by a smidgen, particularly in the treble region, which is a real shame because most of the rest of it works well. For my personal tastes, I prefer a more fleshed out, rounded midrange and could do with a bit less bass and treble. I've never really heard anything quite like the X250.8 in my 30 years of audiophile experience. The amp is definitely not linear in it's frequency response. But most of the time, it's fun to listen to. Not sure if it would wear well over time though.
    Focal Scala V2, Accuphase DP-550, Avid Volvere, SME 309, Benz-Micro Reference Copper S, Accuphase C-37 phono pre, Tara Labs 0.8, Accuphase A-70, Accuphase C-2420 preamp

Audioshark

I think if you're going Pass, the magic is in the XA/XS series. The X series sounds good and can deliver a lot of power to inefficient speakers, but if you have even half way efficient speakers - the XA/XS is where the good stuff lives. YMMV.

at Mike,

I had a pre ARC ref5se with the XA100.8: I odnt like this combo. -> sold the ARC ref5se and again a XP20, now I go see t replace the Pass XP20 with a GrandiNote Domino preampli that with the Magnetosolid® construction system sound amazing. I have tried this pre with VTL, ARC REFse, REF10 nd REF40 , Pass XP30...but no way: this Domino is a step up. (GrandiNOte was present in Las Vegas CEDIA, in Monaco MOC trade show,...)

Tubes or Semiconductors? Magnetosolid®.
    The name of this technology borns from the combination of "ferromagnetic" with "solid state".
    Solid-state components are used in typical circuits for tube amplifiers..
    We managed to combine the advantages of solid state and tube amplifiers, overcoming their respective limitations.
    The result is a tight, precise and dynamic sound, yet gentle, airy, warm and pleasant: natural.
    All polarizations are in Class A and without feedback.
    All low signal stages are direct coupled: without capacitors.
    For every device, we use a dedicated indipendent power supply circuit.
    Each component is carefully selected.
    When you listen Grandinote, you forget to listen tubes, you forget to listen solid-state, you listen only music.

A refinement of Magnetosolid® technology is represented by the use of precious ferromagnetic components capable of bringing the listener the entire slightest nuances of the musical message, combined with a disarming naturalness
    This new technology has created a new line calledMagnetosolid-VHP; the excellence we believe in sound reproduction

.5 serie XA is a very good "tube sound" amplifie...make pleasure, listen with a lot of details at very low volume too well a lovely sound.

the .8 is more "fast",sound more "modern" as Pass roduct sound very detailed (but a little minus from the .5), the LF are better comtrolled and the Mid&HF are "different vs the XA100.5 (now I use the XA100.8)

at dfvmediagroup the X250.8 like the X250.5 is sure a great amplifer. (in the 250.5 the sound was very good and was better vs. the 350.5)
    sure your A70 Accuphase is another world and sound vs. the Pass 250.8, and you have a C24220 as pre! Preampli from Accu are expecially with Accu amplifier a jewels to listen each little details but with the Pass I dont know.....PLUS the Accuphase C24020 dont math with the Pass via XLR for the phase inverted. (2 hot -> Pass and 2 cold in Accuphase gear)

at the end if I sell the XA100.8 i go with GrandiNote mono ampli Demone or always and again with a class A amplifier.

PS: I have found pair of XA160 (no .5) for a very great price (6k. $!! maybe listen and as extra with the XA100.8 they ca be a bargain....

Quote Originally Posted by ddb71 View Post
    at Mike,

I had a pre ARC ref5se with the XA100.8: I odnt like this combo. -> sold the ARC ref5se and again a XP20, now I go see t replace the Pass XP20 with a GrandiNote Domino preampli that with the Magnetosolid® construction system sound amazing. I have tried this pre with VTL, ARC REFse, REF10 nd REF40 , Pass XP30...but no way: this Domino is a step up. (GrandiNOte was present in Las Vegas CEDIA, in Monaco MOC trade show,...)

Tubes or Semiconductors? Magnetosolid®.
    The name of this technology borns from the combination of "ferromagnetic" with "solid state".
    Solid-state components are used in typical circuits for tube amplifiers..
    We managed to combine the advantages of solid state and tube amplifiers, overcoming their respective limitations.
    The result is a tight, precise and dynamic sound, yet gentle, airy, warm and pleasant: natural.
    All polarizations are in Class A and without feedback.
    All low signal stages are direct coupled: without capacitors.
    For every device, we use a dedicated indipendent power supply circuit.
    Each component is carefully selected.
    When you listen Grandinote, you forget to listen tubes, you forget to listen solid-state, you listen only music.

A refinement of Magnetosolid® technology is represented by the use of precious ferromagnetic components capable of bringing the listener the entire slightest nuances of the musical message, combined with a disarming naturalness
    This new technology has created a new line calledMagnetosolid-VHP; the excellence we believe in sound reproduction

.5 serie XA is a very good "tube sound" amplifie...make pleasure, listen with a lot of details at very low volume too well a lovely sound.

the .8 is more "fast",sound more "modern" as Pass roduct sound very detailed (but a little minus from the .5), the LF are better comtrolled and the Mid&HF are "different vs the XA100.5 (now I use the XA100.8)

at dfvmediagroup the X250.8 like the X250.5 is sure a great amplifer. (in the 250.5 the sound was very good and was better vs. the 350.5)
    sure your A70 Accuphase is another world and sound vs. the Pass 250.8, and you have a C24220 as pre! Preampli from Accu are expecially with Accu amplifier a jewels to listen each little details but with the Pass I dont know.....PLUS the Accuphase C24020 dont math with the Pass via XLR for the phase inverted. (2 hot -> Pass and 2 cold in Accuphase gear)

at the end if I sell the XA100.8 i go with GrandiNote mono ampli Demone or always and again with a class A amplifier.

PS: I have found pair of XA160 (no .5) for a very great price (6k. $!! maybe listen and as extra with the XA100.8 they ca be a bargain....
    I had the phase inverted through the entire system to Hot Pin #2 when the Pass was here. The switches on Accuphase allow you to do that, so there was no phase mismatch.
    Focal Scala V2, Accuphase DP-550, Avid Volvere, SME 309, Benz-Micro Reference Copper S, Accuphase C-37 phono pre, Tara Labs 0.8, Accuphase A-70, Accuphase C-2420 preamp

Sorry... and a question DP550 with Pass is a good macth for you?

The DP-550 is a great cd player with absolutely balanced performance. Like I said, the Pass X series is not a good match in my system. It may work better in a system with more mellow tweeters.

I have ordered brand new XA 160.5 It will be delivered end of December. I`m so happy with this. The dealer arrange a trade with my XA 60.8 and hope it will be my last AMP for many , many Years

I will report on it vs 60.8 sound signature and will drive those with XP20 and my new DAC Aqua la Scala MKII. Exciting time ahead.
    Next step will be cables. Many use Transparent Audio cables with Pass Gear,so I'm going to hunt at local stores.

I have ordered brand new XA 160.5 It will be delivered end of December. I`m so happy with this. The dealer arrange a trade with my XA 60.8 and hope it will be my last AMP for many , many Years

I will report on it vs 60.8 sound signature and will drive those with XP20 and my new DAC Aqua la Scala MKII. Exciting time ahead.
    Next step will be cables. Many use Transparent Audio cables with Pass Gear,so I'm going to hunt at local stores.
    Congratulations!!! Where were you able to find new ones? You will never regret this move. These are truly wonderful amps that are destined to be a classic. The XA-160.5's are my favorite of the XA.5 series because, in my opinion, they have enough power to drive almost any speakers, they are the most accurate sounding of the XA.5 series, yet they retain the warmth and organic musicality of the XA.5 series.

Best of luck,
    Ken

If you decide to go with Transparent Audio cables, bite the bullet on the price and go at least to the Reference level cables because everything from the Reference level on up are custom tuned for your system, which makes a big difference. What is the rest of your system by the way?

Best,
    Ken

My dealer said that he was able put special order at the distributor in Poland. I think there are some pieces left in Europe. Pass has stopped to produce those.
    Other information I got from the dealer is that Pass was willing assemble another XA 160.5 . But I can't believe that because Pass Labs had email me that .5 was not available anymore.

Does anybody knows if the .5 are possibility to adjust the wand on the meters at the front like on the .8 series at the back L and M holes?

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team