Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Super Moderator

Re: GAT + ARTsa - inside

Sweet!

Thank you Wizard!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I noticed CJ of late has succumbed to mass production technique. their PCBs have green solder mask which means they wave solder. ARC still hand solders their 'boards even for models below the ref series.

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    I noticed CJ of late has succumbed to mass production technique. their PCBs have green solder mask which means they wave solder. ARC still hand solders their 'boards even for models below the ref series.
    I also see what appears to be solder flux on some of the joints.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I also see what appears to be solder flux on some of the joints.
    like the tube sockets and wiring soldered after the fact. I've owned a number of CJ pieces and they never de-fluxed their 'boards, ARC always washed theirs. then again has anyone built gear like ARC used to? thick, vented epoxy glass 'boards with heavy copper traces, 1/2 and 1 watt roederstein resistas, 16 awg litz wire everywhere...those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    Cj sounds better thou and their parts selection can somewhat better justify their pricing
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Cj sounds better thou and their parts selection can somewhat better justify their pricing
    Them thar is fighting words! Does "CJ" stand for "Capacitor Johnson?"
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Super Moderator

+1
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

lovely.....
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    lovely.....
    It wouldn't win any awards for neatness of wire runs, quality of solder joints, and removal of flux.

It wouldn't win any awards for neatness of wire runs, quality of solder joints, and removal of flux.
    Sorry .. what's your point ?
    Paul

The point is Paul that if I were to hit you in the head with a shovel, Mark would tell me that I'm using the wrong kind...
    Doug

Paul-I don't know if you are pulling my leg or not. My point is the build quality is not that impressive.

Paul-I don't know if you are pulling my leg or not. My point is the build quality is not that impressive.
    Really, Why?

ARC current products are known to be more unreliable, whereas cj last on and on and on. Hell ARC cant even decide what type of capacitor sounds better.
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika

Super Moderator

I absolutely love my CJ gear. It has been extremely reliable for me. I do want to hear the new ARC REFse amps sometime.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Considering that the GAT/ART Mono combination is without a doubt the best sounding system I I've ever heard/owned...but, I must also say that I've never been particularly happy with the build/workmanship CJ has. It's always just a bit messy in my opinion. But then again, it's the listening enjoyment that really matters. I've had gear that's beautiful under the hood that just wasn't as nice to listen to as the CJ stuff.
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

Really, Why?

ARC current products are known to be more unreliable, whereas cj last on and on and on. Hell ARC cant even decide what type of capacitor sounds better.
    Are we pretending that we can't read the words I wrote? I already called out the issues I saw one by one in post #11. So when I say the build quality isn't that impressive, I'm not trying to make a correlation to reliability and nor did I. Look, if someone wants to post a picture of the insides of a very expensive piece of stereo equipment, people should expect to read some remarks about the quality of workmanship whether good or bad. I'm pretty sure that Rob sees what I see so I don't understand why there are three of you trying to pile on me for stating what should be obvious if you look at the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayooo View Post
    Considering that the GAT/ART Mono combination is without a doubt the best sounding system I I've ever heard/owned...but, I must also say that I've never been particularly happy with the build/workmanship CJ has. It's always just a bit messy in my opinion. But then again, it's the listening enjoyment that really matters. I've had gear that's beautiful under the hood that just wasn't as nice to listen to as the CJ stuff.
    At last, an honest opinion from an owner who also sees the obvious. The good news is the gear sounds great, otherwise people wouldn't shell out the big money for it. As Ray said, "It's the listening enjoyment that really matters."

I am entering late on this opinion exchange on cj built quality. I have owned may cj´s since the early 90's and always found their intrinsic built quality and reliability very high. They did not remove soldering flux from boards because they felt the liquids that are needed to remove it would affect sound quality. Their components are from the best we can find and, in general, access to the PCB boards for any service is excellent - most equipment is accessible from both component and soldering sides . They provide us with schematics for service and the transistors used in the power supplies are easily available. The layout of PCBs is clear, logical and easy to follow. Their components also are some of more reliable that can be found in the audio industry (except the tubes that must replaced from time to time, surely ... ). What else do we need?

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    I am entering late on this opinion exchange on cj built quality. I have owned may cj´s since the early 90's and always found their intrinsic built quality and reliability very high. They did not remove soldering flux from boards because they felt the liquids that are needed to remove it would affect sound quality. Their components are from the best we can find and, in general, access to the PCB boards for any service is excellent - most equipment is accessible from both component and soldering sides . They provide us with schematics for service and the transistors used in the power supplies are easily available. The layout of PCBs is clear, logical and easy to follow. Their components also are some of more reliable that can be found in the audio industry (except the tubes that must replaced from time to time, surely ... ). What else do we need?
    amateurs giving their own illinformed views on what is or is not good design? I don't think so.

Well said on some of the advantages in the design, serviceability, reliability and certainly sound quality.

amateurs giving their own illinformed views on what is or is not good design? I don't think so.

Well said on some of the advantages in the design, serviceability, reliability and certainly sound quality.
    Once again you are changing the meaning of words that were written. The first time you brought up reliability when I never mentioned reliability. Now you are bringing up design and confusing that with the layout and the quality of workmanship. As for "amateurs" and "illinformed (sic) views," you have no idea what I do for a living.

I guess the only thing that matters is if we change this around and say CJ has the best workmanship of any high-end company and I wish we could see more pictures of gear that looked as good under the hood as theirs does.
    CJ is simply the best and represents the gold standard of workmanship all high-end companies should aspire to. Cripes.

As an audiophile that spends too much money on stuff -----

All I want, is good sound, a dependable product, and a company that if there is a problem takes care of it. All of these requirements - CJ is GREAT!

Anything else is gravy - and according to the heart association - gravy is bad for you.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

I have learned my lesson. People don't like the truth and I will never again comment on pictures that people post that show the inside of gear.

Super Moderator

Nothing is perfect, every company has/needs a service department. I've been lucky, Ray had some problems but CJ finally took care of everything. I convinced Ray to get the CJ. I know he loves the sound as much as I do.

I understand where you were coming from Mark and I appreciate your honesty. A friend of mine had terrible problems with well known German gear, I was the one who convinced him to get that too. He was not treated so well. Once he was all fixed up, we both unloaded our gear.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I have learned my lesson. People don't like the truth and I will never again comment on pictures that people post that show the inside of gear.
    Mark some people cant handle the truth.

Audioshark

I would love to own the CJ Art Monos. Joe, when you sending me yours to try?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I would love to own the CJ Art Monos. Joe, when you sending me yours to try?

Hmm, I couldn't do that to you. They'd kill your Xs-150's.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Hmm, I couldn't do that to you. They'd kill your Xs-150's.
    LMAO! Who said tubes rule?

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

My dream system would include the XS Pre/XS-150 and the GAT/ART with a toggle to switch back and forth between the best of solid state and tubes. I'd round out the system with the Esoteric Grandioso stack and the Sonus Faber Fenice.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    My dream system would include the XS Pre/XS-150 and the GAT/ART with a toggle to switch back and forth between the best of solid state and tubes. I'd round out the system with the Esoteric Grandioso stack and the Sonus Faber Fenice.

Ken

YES !!!!

I totally agree.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Some funny stuff in here, honest too! mep, it's alright, Shane just needs to kick something every now & then even though he still has bricks between his speakers. I commend my fellow sharks, we have such a diverse & different knowledge & we have prevailed!!petro got me onto tubes....I miss him.

Audioshark

Petro85? He's around.

Nothing is perfect, every company has/needs a service department. I've been lucky, Ray had some problems but CJ finally took care of everything. I convinced Ray to get the CJ. I know he loves the sound as much as I do.

I understand where you were coming from Mark and I appreciate your honesty. A friend of mine had terrible problems with well known German gear, I was the one who convinced him to get that too. He was not treated so well. Once he was all fixed up, we both unloaded our gear.
    YES!!!! and thanks Joe!

OBTW, one of the most beautifully built pieces of gear I ever owned was a Krell KSA-150. The unit was a spectacular view to behold under the hood, it's internal physical construction/layout/workmanship was essentially perfect. Did I have service issues with it? yes, did Krell take care of it? Yes. Is it still in service today? yes. Did I enjoy it as much as I do my ARTs.. no way... what does all this mean? Not-a-thing
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

Super Moderator

Ray,

Too funny.

For someone (me!) with terrible tube nervosa, my CJ gear is spectacular. I wish I was more diligent about keeping track of tube hours, but I will upon next set of replacements.

My CJ gear has a big, slightly sweet, full, wonderful 3D, tremendous layering, width and depth. For me, it has it all. As CJ says, it just sounds right. I'll go crazy if/when they offer a KT-150 based amp.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Ray,

Too funny.

For someone (me!) with terrible tube nervosa, my CJ gear is spectacular. I wish I was more diligent about keeping track of tube hours, but I will upon next set of replacements.

My CJ gear has a big, slightly sweet, full, wonderful 3D, tremendous layering, width and depth. For me, it has it all. As CJ says, it just sounds right. I'll go crazy if/when they offer a KT-150 based amp.
    My GAT/ARTs have been rock solid now for a year, but with 16 KT-120s lighting up each time I turn the amps on, one can't help but wonder if this time will be the time... fortunately after a minute or so of listening all that tube-angst goes away.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

GAT + ARTsa - inside