Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: The N100 Owners Thread

I just sent an email asking. I am sure to get a prompt response from them but probably without an answer, like you said probably too early for specific details. I must say, they are very approachable and a have been pleasure to deal with so far.

Acoustical Systems, AMG, Aqua Acoustic Quality, Audeze, Audio Desk, Audible illusions, Audioquest, Aurender, Bryston, CH Precision, Chord Electronics, Constellation Audio, Dynaudiol, Fyne Audio, Grado labs, Ikeda, JL Audio, Kondo, Kronos, Kubala Sosna, Lumin, Luxman, Lyra, Magico, Nordost, PS Audio, Roon, Shunyata, SME, Sugden, Tenor, Tannoy, Vertere, VPI and ZYX.

www.audiobymarkjones.ca

I take it that this supposed to be better than the Lumin?
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods
    Amps: CAT Legend -> CAT JL7s
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon->Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna Elation ICs & SCs / Shunyata Denali 6000T & PC's / Furutech outlets

Quote Originally Posted by madfloyd View Post
    I take it that this supposed to be better than the Lumin?
    Completely different deal - no storage , apart from 120GB SSD for buffering & playback . No DAC either. Just a streamer built like a tank with isolation up the ying-yang. Multiple digital outputs. See the S10 for a similar spec , that's the outgoing model

The N100 can be ordered as an X100 with 1tb of storage, the X100L comes with either 6 or 12tb storage. Wondering if the new N10 will offer similar storage options.

The main negative with the 100 vs the 10 is it only has USB out, the 10 has all the usual digital outs AES etc...

Acoustical Systems, AMG, Aqua Acoustic Quality, Audeze, Audio Desk, Audible illusions, Audioquest, Aurender, Bryston, CH Precision, Chord Electronics, Constellation Audio, Dynaudiol, Fyne Audio, Grado labs, Ikeda, JL Audio, Kondo, Kronos, Kubala Sosna, Lumin, Luxman, Lyra, Magico, Nordost, PS Audio, Roon, Shunyata, SME, Sugden, Tenor, Tannoy, Vertere, VPI and ZYX.

www.audiobymarkjones.ca

Got the N100... it sounds lusher and larger than my Cyrus CD XT Signature transport.

It was described to me as 'juicy'... and that it is.

Finally the end of loading CDs to listen to music... got lots of ripping to do.

I hope they finish their Andriod app as I don't have any Apple stuff.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by rww View Post
    Got the N100... it sounds lusher and larger than my Cyrus CD XT Signature transport.

It was described to me as 'juicy'... and that it is.

Finally the end of loading CDs to listen to music... got lots of ripping to do.

I hope they finish their Andriod app as I don't have any Apple stuff.
    Congrats rww! How is the app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Andriod app is very basic but usable, even though it's not ready for the n100 yet (It doesn't yet have NAS location setup but I can, for now, use a USB stick/drive and select / play tracks with my Samsung S5). I've already ordered a Samsung 1TB SSD.

I don't really get why they have made an X100S, when the N100 (with SSD installed) is practically the same offering but with supposedly a better PSU?.. just seems a bit odd to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Jones View Post
    I'm selling the line too, only dealer in Ontario at the moment.

Can't wait to get my X100L demo and then a couple of months down the road the new N10.

Mike what piece do you have on demo?
    Any info on the clock and isolation in the N10 versus the N100 or other specs that will affect sq besides outputs?

So...I've decided, I want to move my storage local to the N100. A) it'll eliminate the occasional stutter, from my 12-drive array spinning up; and b) it'll make AMM available...without a computer to host it.

I'm concerned about noise...and for this reason, would prefer a 2.5" solution (I know in theory, some say 2.5" are noisier than 3.5s; but to my ears...my WD Passports are quiet as a mouse). Thing is...I want to be able to access this drive, from the network; in other words...when I want to move files to it, I don't want to have to detach it, drag it to another machine, etc. In other words...network-attached.

I don't see any Passport-type drives, that allow for a wired connection (don't really want to go wireless; but maybe I guess). Here's my question...and I can test it myself I guess, but I was just wondering if anyone has already been down the same road and could comment: if you attach a USB drive to the N100...can you then network-access it, through the Aurender?
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

duplicate deleted
    CD

Quote Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
    So...I've decided, I want to move my storage local to the N100. A) it'll eliminate the occasional stutter, from my 12-drive array spinning up; and b) it'll make AMM available...without a computer to host it.

I'm concerned about noise...and for this reason, would prefer a 2.5" solution (I know in theory, some say 2.5" are noisier than 3.5s; but to my ears...my WD Passports are quiet as a mouse). Thing is...I want to be able to access this drive, from the network; in other words...when I want to move files to it, I don't want to have to detach it, drag it to another machine, etc. In other words...network-attached.

I don't see any Passport-type drives, that allow for a wired connection (don't really want to go wireless; but maybe I guess). Here's my question...and I can test it myself I guess, but I was just wondering if anyone has already been down the same road and could comment: if you attach a USB drive to the N100...can you then network-access it, through the Aurender?
    I've got a 128gb USB memory stick in my N100 (a temp solution until either SSD or NAS) and cannot see it over the network, I created a share on it hoping that it might appear but it's not visible. Maybe ask Eric @ Aurender, he's very helpful.

PS: did you see my post asking you if your N100 plays well with exact mode on your VEGA?.. In hindsight I should have posted that question here.

I've got a 128gb USB memory stick in my N100 (a temp solution until either SSD or NAS) and cannot see it over the network, I created a share on it hoping that it might appear but it's not visible. Maybe ask Eric @ Aurender, he's very helpful.

PS: did you see my post asking you if your N100 plays well with exact mode on your VEGA?.. In hindsight I should have posted that question here.
    Thanks. Guess I'll throw a Passport on tonight, and see if I have any better luck.

No, sorry; I didn't see that post. YES...Exact clock works with the N100; and of course I don't know if it's psycho-acoustic or not...but I hear an immediate difference when I switch it in. Notice, I didn't say HUGE difference; just I can hear it immediately. Less noise...smooths things out to a degree.

Of course, the Femto clock has to be properly warmed-up to use it
    CD

Thanks. Guess I'll throw a Passport on tonight, and see if I have any better luck.

No, sorry; I didn't see that post. YES...Exact clock works with the N100; and of course I don't know if it's psycho-acoustic or not...but I hear an immediate difference when I switch it in. Notice, I didn't say HUGE difference; just I can hear it immediately. Less noise...smooths things out to a degree.

Of course, the Femto clock has to be properly warmed-up to use it

OK, cool.

Yes my N100 plays well with exact mode but I do get a couple of dropouts (max 3 or 4) on the 1st track when listening, after that it plays perfectly without hiccup for the whole listening session. It's almost as if the two bits of kit are learning each other's capability in the fist 20 seconds of playing.

N100 > VEGA is utter music magic!

;-)

OK, cool.

Yes my N100 plays well with exact mode but I do get a couple of dropouts (max 3 or 4) on the 1st track when listening, after that it plays perfectly without hiccup for the whole listening session. It's almost as if the two bits of kit are learning each other's capability in the fist 20 seconds of playing.

N100 > VEGA is utter music magic!

;-)
    I occasionally get a few sputters at first too; I just assumed it was my array spinning up. Yes...the Vega is a great DAC; but it recently got smoked as pre-amp.
    CD

I occasionally get a few sputters at first too; I just assumed it was my array spinning up. Yes...the Vega is a great DAC; but it recently got smoked as pre-amp.

Yes, much better with a preamp. I use Jeff Rowland Capri S2.

;-)

Just picked up a N100S ( 1tb internal ssd). Wow does it sound nice. I went back and read the reviews for the x100 and they describe this piece perfectly. The N100 has a chance to preform better because of its upgraded power supply. Really shines in the midrange and highs. very listenable.
    I have been thru the Mac Mini, Bryston Bdp-1, Auralic Aries and may be finally satisfied with running this thru my full blown Oppo Modwright 105d as a front end.

Great build quality and the app barely moves the battery meter on the Ipad. Highly recommended!!

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum russellbobby, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by russellbobby View Post
    Just picked up a N100S ( 1tb internal ssd). Wow does it sound nice. I went back and read the reviews for the x100 and they describe this piece perfectly. The N100 has a chance to preform better because of its upgraded power supply. Really shines in the midrange and highs. very listenable.
    I have been thru the Mac Mini, Bryston Bdp-1, Auralic Aries and may be finally satisfied with running this thru my full blown Oppo Modwright 105d as a front end.

Great build quality and the app barely moves the battery meter on the Ipad. Highly recommended!!
    Welcome russellbobby. Thanks for the report on the Aurender.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Good job!

... if you only need USB out and have a NAS or smaller music library, the N100 should exceed expectation, it did for me... and it will continue to improve.

Audioshark

My N100H arrived last night. I will post pictures and impressions later.

Good job!

... if you only need USB out and have a NAS or smaller music library, the N100 should exceed expectation, it did for me... and it will continue to improve.
    I played it off an external drive and it sounded beautiful. I have a bout 6 tb of music.
    Usually only about 1/2 tb gets played. The N100h is going to be a big seller but I got mine used on a nice discount so couldn't pass it up. Since it plays from cache I think you would have a hard time distinguishing between the two.
    Happy Listening !!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    My N100H arrived last night. I will post pictures and impressions later.
    Mike, this is the version with the internal 1TB storage right?

Do you still need to connect it to a computer and run AMM to scan the database and load the album art onto the ipad?

Would it be correct to say that the main differences between the N100H and the X100S would be the linear power supply and the need to use AMM?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by nfnc View Post
    Mike, this is the version with the internal 1TB storage right?

Do you still need to connect it to a computer and run AMM to scan the database and load the album art onto the ipad?

Would it be correct to say that the main differences between the N100H and the X100S would be the linear power supply and the need to use AMM?
    It has 2TB internal storage, yes.

You don't need to connect it to a computer, but you do need to have a Mac computer computer on your network running AMM. You connect the N100H to your network (and with the help of AMM on the network, it accesses your music libraries, artwork, etc.)

The N100H is optimized for working on a network with a NAS. The X100L is meant to be a stand alone unit for those who do not have a NAS. One must also review the outputs for the N100H vs N10 vs X100L to choose the one that best suits their needs. Sonically, I have not compared the N series to the X series.

Audioshark

I've had a fun day with the Aurender N100H. I was quite surprised at just how much better it was than my Auralic Aries. To my ears, there is absolutely no comparison between the Auralic Aries with separate PSU and the Aurender N100/N100H. I recognize the ~$1000 price difference, but that extra $1000 gets you a lot. The Aurender is considerably better IMO.

First, the Aurender is build like a tank. Solid metal case. The Auralic is made of plastic. Second, the Aurender app is outstanding. Stable, loads of functionality and as user friendly or sophisticated as you want it to be. The more you dig into the app, the more you can really tweak it or just use it on the surface for a great user experience.

AMM is very easy to setup, but people do need to be aware that they need AMM running on a Mac (Windows version expected soon) to utilize and optimize their Aurender experience.

Last but not least, sonically, the Aurender seems much smoother, fuller, without giving up any details. It sounds "more apiece" if that makes any sense.

Devialet 200, Magico S5.
    Will the N100 sound better than Dev Air?
    If so, and I buy the N100, 6 months from now what will I be disappointing about its performance, IOW its weaknesses.

(I do like the idea of a self contained source rather than piggy backing on my work pc. Of course I can buy4 pc's for the price of this unit.)

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    Devialet 200, Magico S5.
    Will the N100 sound better than Dev Air?
    If so, and I buy the N100, 6 months from now what will I be disappointing about its performance, IOW its weaknesses.

(I do like the idea of a self contained source rather than piggy backing on my work pc. Of course I can buy4 pc's for the price of this unit.)
    Does your Devialet Air work 100% consistently?

No, buggy with drop outs- even thought the router is 2' away.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    No, buggy with drop outs- even thought the router is 2' away.
    Exactly! That's why I love a solution like the Aurender. But if your computer via USB is what you prefer, then that's great. For me, the Aurender is like the control part of my Lumin. Great app. Sounds great. Works flawlessly with no Windows nonsense to deal with. YMMV.

As a side note, I do think Devialet will figure out the whole AIR thing soon (Devialet AIR is a proprietary streaming technology). I wonder if any announcements around this were made at Munich.

Nice review Mike. Glad the Aurender is earning its stripes in your system. I own the X100L and i remain very impressed with Aurender. Sounds great, app is darn near perfect.

Does your Devialet Air work 100% consistently?
    I experienced constant dropouts except when playing redbook (16/44.1) files using Air with firmware 8. However when I connected my JRriver server to the router using a an Ethernet cable everything when smooth without any dropouts, even 24/192 HiRez or DSD64. The router is being used exclusively for the Air and everything is in the same room.

I tried to access the SSD on my N100, but access was refused. Eventhough the SSD is meant for caching, my distributor (or even Aurender themselves) have stored a few demo tracks on the SSD. I should be able to access it too. The filter buttons at the top of the screen (DSD, local, etc.) are in fact the names of folders on the SSD. Only the demo tracks can be seen when I use those filters.
    With my music stored on a NAS, those filter buttons are pretty useless if the app is used for the N100. Does anyone has a different view? Would be interested to hear that.
    Peter

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Peter!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Can someone tell me how to delete files of the internal hard drive?
    Thanks,
    Russ

Audioshark

Can someone tell me how to delete files of the internal hard drive?
    Thanks,
    Russ
    http://www.aurender.com/page/appguide-1

Scroll down to "Transferring Music".

AURENDER - Reference Music System

Scroll down to "Transferring Music".
    Thanks for the quick reply. So only can be done thru a network? I guess I will have to set that up.
    Thanks,
    Russ

Well that was harmless. So now it gets treated like any other drive?. Hope the AMM for widows comes pretty quickly as I have a lot of folders with no art. Other than art work, what are the benefits?
    Thanks

Just ordered an N100H today from my dealer in NY. Was confused about the differences (other than the linear power supply in the N100) between the N100 and X100, since both are offered with second hard drives in addition to the cache. Dealer informed me that going forward, Aurender will only be offering the the X100 with either 6 or 12 GB drives, thus differentiating the two products. Still unable to find reference to their sonic differences.
    Last edited by joeinid; May 18, 2015 at 11:17 PM.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Greg! Thank you for joining.

NAD C 658 streamer.

It has 2TB internal storage, yes.

You don't need to connect it to a computer, but you do need to have a Mac computer computer on your network running AMM. You connect the N100H to your network (and with the help of AMM on the network, it accesses your music libraries, artwork, etc.)

The N100H is optimized for working on a network with a NAS. The X100L is meant to be a stand alone unit for those who do not have a NAS. One must also review the outputs for the N100H vs N10 vs X100L to choose the one that best suits their needs. Sonically, I have not compared the N series to the X series.
    Mike, to follow up, with the N100H:

1. you need to connect to a MAC (as well as a NAS) on the network and run AMM for the initial scan (when you first get the N100H) or when you add new music.

2. after the scan, can the MAC can be disconnected from the network (or at least switched off)? Or, must the MAC be running when you use the N100H?

3. even if your music is stored on the 2TB internal drive (nothing on the NAS), must the N100H always be connected to the network and the NAS, since the AMM database resides on the NAS? So, if the N100H is not connected to the network and the NAS, you would not be able to access the album art and other metadata?

Is that how it works? Thanks.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by nfnc View Post
    Mike, to follow up, with the N100H:

1. you need to connect to a MAC (as well as a NAS) on the network and run AMM for the initial scan (when you first get the N100H) or when you add new music.

That is correct.

2. after the scan, can the MAC can be disconnected from the network (or at least switched off)? Or, must the MAC be running when you use the N100H?

It must be running when you are accessing music on a NAS.

3. even if your music is stored on the 2TB internal drive (nothing on the NAS), must the N100H always be connected to the network and the NAS, since the AMM database resides on the NAS? So, if the N100H is not connected to the network and the NAS, you would not be able to access the album art and other metadata?

If all your music is stored internally on the N100H's internal drive, then no, AMM does not need to be always running.

Is that how it works? Thanks.
    See above

I'd just add that any Aurender always needs to be connected to the network since there are constant upgrades and software updates and to allow the unit to be accessed by other computers on the network for streaming.

Audioshark

Thank you Shodhan. That is correct.

Aurender just sent me a beta version of the AMM for PC. Not quite sure how to use it as the guide is not finished. There are five files inside the zip file. 3 install and 2 applications. I would more than happy to share if someone can walk me thru this.
    Thanks,
    Russ

Taking a break

Mike is ordering or has ordered the the Aurender N100H for me. I'm kinda excited. Thanks, Mr. Mike.

Audioshark

Did I mention, I just love the app! So easy to search Tidal too.

Taking a break

Did I mention, I just love the app! So easy to search Tidal too.
    Mike, I do not use any of the streaming services. I have so much music on my own...looking forward to comparing it with my MB100 when it arrives 3-5 weeks from now.

Do you have a link to download the beta from? Just set up the N100H, using folders only.

Mike was goodly enough to set me up with an N100 as well to use with my Lampi gear. I'm glad to see the PC version of AMM is trucking along as my only mac is a beatup Macbook pro I have no desire to use.

Looking forward to it. I suspect it'll pair brilliantly with my equipment.

Audioshark

The N100 Owners Thread

Aurender with Lampi and Devialet have been great pairings for me. I'm curious how the Windows version of AMM works out. I'll be following this closely.

Aurender just sent me a beta version of the AMM for PC. Not quite sure how to use it as the guide is not finished. There are five files inside the zip file. 3 install and 2 applications. I would more than happy to share if someone can walk me thru this.
    Thanks,
    Russ
    I can probably help out Russ.
    CD

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

The N100 Owners Thread