Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

ARC Introduces first 2-chassis Phono stage...the Reference Phono 10

Audio Research announces the introduction of the Reference Phono 10 | Dé Durob Audio blog ? Le Blog de Durob Audio

Mike...I am sorry to do this to you but this one is begging to join its Ref 10 line stage preamp brother
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Audioshark

Re: ARC Introduces first 2-chassis Phono stage...the Reference Phono 10

Oh man!!! Can you imagine? Oh brother!!
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Oh!!
    I forgot to show this :
    From ARC
    Vinyl record playback has been an integral part of Audio Research since our founding in 1970. Think back to the great phono stages built into the defining preamplifiers of their day, among them the SP3, SP6, SP8, SP10, and SP11. Even after the introduction of the compact disc in 1982, phono sections remained a revered part of our preamplifiers. The first Audio Research phono preamplifier in a separate chassis was introduced in 1992.
    After all this time, we are proud to finally introduce the first two-chassis phono preamplifier in our history, the Reference Phono 10. This model number was designated because it mirrors its line-stage counterpart, the Reference 10, providing an unsurpassed level of performance in its category. The retail price of the Reference Phono 10 is $30,000.00 U.S.
    The Reference Phono 10 (RP10, for brevity) embodies everything we know about phono playback, and incorporates many of the insights gained in the development of the REF Anniversary and REF10 line-stage preamplifiers. The RP10 is a true dual-mono design with totally separate signal paths for each channel, from the dual-mono power supply forward. There are separate high- and low-voltage transformers for each channel, and sufficient energy storage for a serious amplifier, fully twice the capacity of a REFPH2, providing incredible dynamic headroom. There are twenty stages of electronic regulation, with separate vacuum-tube regulation (via 6550WE and 6H30) for each channel. There are dual umbilical cords between the power supply and the separate analog stage. The power cord inlet contains a 20A IEC connector.
    The dual-mono audio circuits are fully discrete, pure Class-A, with zero feedback. The low gain audio section uses eight 6H30 tubes, four per channel. Rather than using a step-up transformer, special high-gain, extremely low-noise FETs are used in the high- gain section. This approach is costlier than using a transformer, but it is well worth the dramatic performance increase.
    The RP10 is a fully balanced design, with an input circuit that allows its RCA inputs to operate in a balanced configuration without requiring an inverter.
    The RP10 has two sets of inputs with the same flexibility as the Reference Phono 2SE, including switchable Low (51dB BAL/45dB SE) and High (74dB BAL/68dB SE) gain, seven loading options including 47k, 1000, 500, 200, 100, 50 ohms, plus Custom which can be factory-set according to your needs. In addition to standard RIAA equalization, the RP10 also includes early Columbia and Decca equalization curves.

The RP10 looks almost exactly like the REF10, with the same 7-inch diagonal touch screen mounted asymmetrically, and only two buttons for power and mute on its front panel. (The REF10’s volume knob is understandably absent.) The interactive touch screen allows the user to change inputs (and input names), equalization, loading, gain, muting, foreground and background colors of the display, display intensity, and tube hours. Control functions are duplicated on the supplied metal remote.
    The side panels of both analog and power-supply chassis are finished to the same high standard as the front panels: anodized, 3/8 inch thick, with no visible screws. The entire chassis (including rear panel) is painted silver to complete the elegant appearance. The tops of both units are clear acrylic with a laser-cut perforation pattern.
    From the first note on that treasured LP, its greatness is at once obvious and breathtaking—the Reference Phono 10 is a sonic blockbuster that establishes the new standard in analog music playback. Emphatically. Great vinyl takes on an explosive, dynamic quality that is normally encountered only in a live performance, whether the crescendo of an orchestra, a roaring rock band, or the intricacies of a solo piano. When called for, the stage is vast, holographic, enveloping: Dimensionality is redefined, with an engaging, reach out and touch it quality. The RP10 resolves so much detail without grain, delighting listeners with new information extracted from those familiar grooves. The musical experience is so much more involving and persuasive—you do not want it to end. But these are mere words that pale in comparison to the actual listening experience. Understanding only comes from listening.
    Production is starting now, with the first few units shipping in early May. Contact your sales representative to experience the product that triumphantly validates the superiority of analog playback; music in High Definition®.
    Sincerely,
    Audio Research Corporation
    Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints
    Kuzma / Focal / Resonessence Labs / ARIA / KRELL / Pro-Ject...

Looks like it's gonna be $30K also
    Cyril
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    Looks like it's gonna be $30K also
    It is US30k
    Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints

How long do we think it's going to take for Mike to order one? The over-under is 60 days. I'm going with the "under".

Only the best should be paired with a Clearaudio Innovation.

Audioshark

You guys crack me up. I'm going to stick with my Zesto for now (it really sounds great) and I can't wait for my new VPI Classic 3 (Rosewood) and Lyra Kleos which I just ordered to arrive. I can buy a lot of music for the price of the REF10PH. I need to shore up other areas of my system before I even think of a REF10PH. Plus, I'm not overly keen on a two big box phono stage. Takes up too much rack space.

...what I need is to sell my Avid TT/SME309/Dynavector.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tur...9-analog-34202

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Where's Joe?!!
    Doug

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post

Where's Joe?!!
    If Mike was local, I'd really consider it.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Only unbalanced inputs, why not balanced?

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    If Mike was local, I'd really consider it.
    Oh please. That is no excuse. I told you I would drive it up for you.

$30k hmmm. that is alot of records!
    Will be looking for a gently used one at half that when the ref 20 4-box phono is released

I will wait until they release the Reference Phono Anniversary ...

No need.
    ARC REF PHONO stages use unbalanced inputs because 95% of the phono cables on the market are this way. Then the signal is balanced right away and kept balanced all the way to the outputs. They are true fully balanced units and sound much better with the balanced outputs than the cinch ones.
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    I will wait until they release the Reference Phono Anniversary ...
    Good one !
    You 'll have to wait after the REF PHONO 10 SE though !
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

Audioshark

Where's Cyril to help me defend my beloved ARC?

Oh screw it.....I'll wait for the PHREF15SE v2 - Anniversary Edition.

Mike,
    When a company "improves" and modifies its line as fast as ARC has done these late years, it exposes itself to bitterness from his customers.

I love my ARC gear too but at $30k I think they are shrinking their potential market. The ref phono 2se is such a great unit at $12k. I could understand a 2-box ref phono that is outstanding finding a customer base at $20k but that's just my 2cents. In that range, there is also the fully modded Tron Seven GT version ($18K) which I've heard and which is outstanding. Will be very interested to hear how the lucky early adopters compare this new ARC offering to the ref phono 2se.

I will wait for a review before jumping the upgrade wagon
    Caribbean Distributor of

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Where's Cyril to help me defend my beloved ARC?

Oh screw it.....I'll wait for the PHREF15SE v2 - Anniversary Edition.
    I am waiting for the Ref 10 Anniversarry VSE (Very Special Edition)
    Cyril

You are all too mean
    Caribbean Distributor of

Honestly,

Who will put 30k in a phono stage ?
    This unit might be terrific but 30k is really a big amount of money for a phono stage.
    You need a VERDIER Magnum TT with this one !

Super Moderator

I'd like one. I'm not ready yet though.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Sure glad I don't have a turntable - this way I'm not at the least tempted

I'm sure it sounds wonderful tho
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
    Honestly,

Who will put 30k in a phono stage ?
    This unit might be terrific but 30k is really a big amount of money for a phono stage.
    You need a VERDIER Magnum TT with this one !
    I'm with you but so many times I said
    The same thing and then I jump the
    Wagon . Help me control my self
    Is so tempting and more when you
    have the REF10 already
    Caribbean Distributor of

I love the fact ARC is upgrading products...no bitterness here...new products mean great used prices...I picked up a minty fresh ARC Reference 40 preamp that is the best preamp I have heard in my system especially with my speakers and amp pairing. This week I get the minty fresh ARC Ref 2SE. Best news...The Ref 40 and Ref 2SE are their last Ref preamps (as I understand it) using the Teflon caps. I heard the Teflon cap supply/contacts/cost went sideways, so they needed to design around non-teflon capacitors in the new stuff....good for ARC to find a path that is fabulous with different parts. Even if the new Ref gear is supposed to sound better, I find magic in the Teflon caps that ARC worked carefully to put in their recent offerings.

+1
    Of the 5 pieces of ARC that I have owned, only one was bought new. Like you said, as new stuff comes out, there are great used prices

At Highend 2013 - why no balanced input?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post

At Highend 2013 - why no balanced input?
    I don't know of any balanced turntables. All turntables that I know of are RCA outs.

I don't know of any balanced turntables. All turntables that I know of are RCA outs.
    Mike... VPI will sell you a table with XLR connectors.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Jeff

AMP: McIntosh MC402 PRE: McIntosh C2300 Digital: Gold Note DS-10 & PSU-10 EVO TURNTABLE: Dr. Feickert Blackbird PHONO STAGE: Gold Note PH-10 & PSU-10 SPEAKERS: Aerial Acoustics Model 8B’s

“The more you tighten your grip Tarkin the more star systems will slip through your fingers”

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite613 View Post
    Mike... VPI will sell you a table with XLR connectors.
    Really? Cool!

Really? Cool! I think my Zesto only has RCA inputs.
    Mike... Here you go!

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Jeff

AMP: McIntosh MC402 PRE: McIntosh C2300 Digital: Gold Note DS-10 & PSU-10 EVO TURNTABLE: Dr. Feickert Blackbird PHONO STAGE: Gold Note PH-10 & PSU-10 SPEAKERS: Aerial Acoustics Model 8B’s

“The more you tighten your grip Tarkin the more star systems will slip through your fingers”

No need ,
    The output is fully balanced

Sent from my iPhone
    Caribbean Distributor of

Audioshark

Just talked to Jeff. He recommends against balanced phono stages. Single ended is best due to a single ground loop.

Just talked to Jeff. He recommends against balanced phono stages. Single ended is best due to a single ground loop.
    Not so much against Balanced phono stages as long as they are true balanced from input to output.....which means two of everything! You mainly see phono stages designed around single ended circuit and its common to see both XLR and RCA connections on these units!
    Last edited by A/V Solutions; May 14, 2013 at 06:54 PM.
    Dealer / Manufacture Disclosure:

Jeff Whitlock
    A/V Solutions / Unity Audio Design
    www.avsolutionsca.com

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

ARC Introduces first 2-chassis Phono stage...the Reference Phono 10