Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

Cool tube gear from Line Magnetic ...

Here are some amps I would love to hear.

518 IA
    • 2 x 845 / 2 x 12AX7 / 2 x 6L6
    • Tube rectified with a 5AR4
    • 22 wpc Single Ended
    • 4 line inputs + pre amp in
    • 4, 8 and 16 ohm speaker terminals
    • Point to point wiring throughout
    • Remote control volume with mute button
    • Tube cage

219 IA
    • 2 x 845 (output tubes) / 2 x 300B (driver tubes) / 2 x 310A (input tubes) / 2 x 12AX7
    • 24 wpc Single Ended Class A
    • Adjustable bias with built in meter
    • 4,8, and 16 ohm speaker taps
    • Two power transformers for a true dual mono design
    • Tube cage
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Cool tube gear from Line Magnetic ...

I want to hear them too
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    I want to hear them too
    I think they would sound great on either your Raidho D1's or especially your Wilson Duettes.

NAD C 658 streamer.

For the money they are great value. The Gold up top & their tube dac sound way better than expected.

You're making me get the upgrade itch Joe... Insert drool emoticon here!

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I think they would sound great on either your Raidho D1's or especially your Wilson Duettes.
    probably but I was thinking going efficient with the monkey O96s ( obviously the orangutans)
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Super Moderator

probably but I was thinking going efficient with the monkey O96s ( obviously the orangutans)
    Ooooooooh, even better. I can not stop thinking about this gear. Those 0/96's look really nice. I hope someone hear has heard them.

Orangutan O/96
    With the Orangutan O/96 DeVORE FIDELITY brings it's award-winning blend of musicality and accuracy to a new speaker designed especially for low-powered tube amplifiers. 10" paper cone with a phase-plug powered by a motor adapted from our Silverback Reference drivers. 1" silk-dome tweeter with a powerful double-magnet motor system gently horn-loaded.

Frequency bandwidth: 25Hz-31kHz
    Sensitivity: 96 dB/W/M
    Impedance: 10 Ohms 8.75 Ohms minimum at 190 Hz
    Dimensions: 12"d x 18"w x 35.5"h (including stands)

NAD C 658 streamer.

Good choice!! Heard them with some arc gear. Midrange & vocals are very lush & a very strong quality in them. A good way to put it would be if you want the warm midrange of panels with that box speaker energy
    Last edited by sharkmouth; May 3, 2013 at 07:11 PM.

I've heard the 0/96's a couple of times at my favorite dealer. The first time was in a large, acoustically treated room with a Shindo Preamp and Monos. It was all jazz being spun on the Shindo TT, and that system was making great music. I don't remember how wide the soundstage was, how dynamic it sounded, or how clear the highs were; I just really enjoyed the music. No one in the room could sit still, we were just several dudes with tapping toes and bobbing heads. I bought 2 of the albums that were played that day (Count Basie - Basie Jam and Tsuyoshi Yamamoto trio - Autumn in Seattle).

The second time I heard them was in a much smaller room in a nearfield setup with the little Shindo Apetite integrated. They sounded good, but I think they need a bit more space to show what they're all about. The music was a little to forward for my taste that day...

If I decide to try something new, I will be giving the O/96's some serious consideration. My dealer carries the Line Magnetic gear as well and I bet the O/96's would sound great with it.
    Preamp: Hegel P20
    Amp: Hegel H20
    Analog: Sumiko Pearwood Celebration II > Rega P5 > Heed Quasar
    Digital: 4 TB Vortexbox > Squeezebox Duet > Marantz SA8004
    Speakers: Revel Studio2
    Cables: Shunyata Zitron / Analysis Plus

Have I mentioned that I own and LOVE tube amps? LOL...My Avatar is my 90wpc Velleman (customized by ME) ..but I love little 10 watt console amps too !!!

Jay, love that tube amp for your Avatar...the Ayon III right ?
    MAIN RIG: Equipment: Marantz SR4023 as Pre / Velleman K4040 Tube Power Amp / Yamaha M65 Power Amp / Polk Monitor 70's with Polk Sub / ClearAudio Concept table with Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Stage and ClearAudio Concept MC cart /Pioneer PL500 TT with AT440MLa

Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Here's a shot of my Line Magnetic 218. I'm in love with this amp and can't imagine the sweet sounds that the huge 219 produces. I would really like to hear either the O/93's or O/96's but I live in an audio wasteland. The dealer I go through, who does the trade shows with John D., thinks the O series sounds better than the new Gibbon X. I really like the O series of speakers. They remind me of how speakers looked when I was growing up which I think is pretty cool in a retro way.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Doug

Here's a shot of the O/93's.

Doug

I also like this little amp.

Mini 218
    2 x EL84 / 2 x 12AX7
    3 wpc Single Ended Class A
    Headphone output
    One input
    4 and 8 ohm output taps
    Tube cage included

I think this would make a sweet headphone amp!

At one point I had the web address for an inside look at the Line Magnetic Factory. I'll have to do some rummaging around and try to come up with it. If I recall correctly it was in Chinese but had some pretty cool pics. Stay tuned!
    Doug

Super Moderator

Hi Doug,

I wish I had known about the LM amps before I bought this one. A Miniwatt N3. It's not terrible but it's a little flat.

minirear_270x235.jpgminifront.jpgn3-silver-3tube_web.jpg41aLkzCROuL.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    I also like this little amp.

Mini 218
    2 x EL84 / 2 x 12AX7
    3 wpc Single Ended Class A
    Headphone output
    One input
    4 and 8 ohm output taps
    Tube cage included

I think this would make a sweet headphone amp!

At one point I had the web address for an inside look at the Line Magnetic Factory. I'll have to do some rummaging around and try to come up with it. If I recall correctly it was in Chinese but had some pretty cool pics. Stay tuned!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Here's the article from audiotechnique (via another website) on the LM factory. Like I said earlier it's all in Chinese but has some nice pics of the facility.

Hit Audio Áx¬Ó*µÅT - Review
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by ohbythebay View Post
    Have I mentioned that I own and LOVE tube amps? LOL...My Avatar is my 90wpc Velleman (customized by ME) ..but I love little 10 watt console amps too !!!

Jay, love that tube amp for your Avatar...the Ayon III right ?
    Yep, it's my Ayon Spirit III. I love it. Here's a pic of my rig. Ayon tends to fly under the radar a bit, but they make superb gear. The Spirit III weighs about 75 lbs!

home stereo.JPG

Nice rig Jay. I dig those speaker stands. Are you starting to peel the veneer off the shelf above the Ayon with all the heat it puts out?!
    Doug

Thanks - the stands were designed by Carl's (Nola designer) daughter to go with the Micros. There are 4 ball bearings between the speaker and the stand. I hadn't thought about the veneer under the media console, but it looks fine...whew! I felt it today after having the amp on and it was warm, but not hot. Hopefully it doesn't become an issue with time.

Doug,
    Your integrated looks really sexy and it is the first time I see a 845 amp driven by EL34 tubes....
    Interesting.
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Yep, it's my Ayon Spirit III. I love it. Here's a pic of my rig. Ayon tends to fly under the radar a bit, but they make superb gear. The Spirit III weighs about 75 lbs!

home stereo.JPG
    Wow..I thought mine was heavy at 38 lbs !!

Your rig is awesome...I might have missed it but are you running KT88's ? What kind?
    MAIN RIG: Equipment: Marantz SR4023 as Pre / Velleman K4040 Tube Power Amp / Yamaha M65 Power Amp / Polk Monitor 70's with Polk Sub / ClearAudio Concept table with Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Stage and ClearAudio Concept MC cart /Pioneer PL500 TT with AT440MLa

Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
    Doug,
    Your integrated looks really sexy and it is the first time I see a 845 amp driven by EL34 tubes....
    Interesting.
    Thanks Jerome. I really like this amp. I can run a variety of driver tubes such as; 6L6, 6V6, KT88, EL34... I've found that the driver tubes aren't that different sounding in this amp for some reason. They just have very subtle differences. The preamp tubes make a difference and I do have a back-up set of 845's that are sweeter than the stock 845's but just can't seem to switch them out until these are done.
    Doug

Super Moderator

Thanks Jerome. I really like this amp. I can run a variety of driver tubes such as; 6L6, 6V6, KT88, EL34... I've found that the driver tubes aren't that different sounding in this amp for some reason. They just have very subtle differences. The preamp tubes make a difference and I do have a back-up set of 845's that are sweeter than the stock 845's but just can't seem to switch them out until these are done.
    Sounds like someone is really enjoying their amp! I really like the way your amp looks and I am looking forward to hearing one. I have a feeling I'll love it too.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I decided to replace my stock 845's with some 845B's. The stock tubes were working just fine but things just haven't seemed as engaging lately. I know this could be a number of things but what the heck. I bought a back-up set of 845B's on the advice of Jonathan Halpern of Tone Imports who is the distributor for LM in the states.

The 845B's have a much sturdier internal structure to them. They seem to exhibit a bit more richness and clarity than the stock 845's. Of course this may be because the other set may have been past their prime, I don't know. I'll have to look up the lifespan of an 845, but I find that with most power tubes a couple of years is about right. They deteriorate slowly over time so you don't really hear the changes all at once. All I know is that I really like the new 845B tubes. I only wish more companies made them so the price would go down a bit.
    Doug

Here are some amps I would love to hear.

518 IA
    • 2 x 845 / 2 x 12AX7 / 2 x 6L6
    • Tube rectified with a 5AR4
    • 22 wpc Single Ended
    • 4 line inputs + pre amp in
    • 4, 8 and 16 ohm speaker terminals
    • Tube cage

219 IA
    • 2 x 845 (output tubes) / 2 x 300B (driver tubes) / 2 x 310A (input tubes) / 2 x 12AX7
    • 24 wpc Single Ended Class A
    • Adjustable bias with built in meter
    • 4,8, and 16 ohm speaker taps
    • Two power transformers for a true dual mono design
    • Tube cage
    I just picked up the 518 that I got for an Avantgarde customer, installing it tonight! Looking forward to seeing how it sounds.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Absolare View Post
    I just picked up the 518 that I got for an Avantgarde customer, installing it tonight! Looking forward to seeing how it sounds.
    I'd love your opinion Bob! The quality of the amps seems very high.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I'd love your opinion Bob! The quality of the amps seems very high.
    Will do. I just picked up the amp this morning, it was heavy lugging it around, I know that I will let you know how it goes once it is installed tonight. Although it surely will have to break in for at least 100 hours before you can really tell what it sounds like.

BTW, I am now a LM dealer. I will have the 518 with the Unos a block from me and then I will be getting the 501 (100Watt push pull), in the next two days, to have at the studio for a reasonably priced tube integrated to run with the Raidhos and Magicos.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Hey Bob, your Absolare gear got product of the year awards !!

Congrats !
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Hey Bob, your Absolare gear got product of the year awards !!

Congrats !
    Hi Mark, Thx....where did you see that? Must have been the AS, right?

Bob, I've been running my 218 for a couple of years now. I would be very interested in your thoughts on their gear as well and how they do with some of your speakers.
    Doug

Congrats bob, on picking up LM. Like many others, i loved listening to the LM devore gear at rmaf.

Yeah Bob, It was TAS, both the preamp and amp !!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Bob, I've been running my 218 for a couple of years now. I would be very interested in your thoughts on their gear as well and how they do with some of your speakers.
    Mark, thx....on the AS stuff.

Doug/Joe....... Hey Joe Ha! I just installed the 518 LM amp on new Unos. The entire experience of opening the box, admiring the packing job, trying to lift the little monster (about 70lbs) out of the box etc. Then turning the 845's for the first time and checking bias after 10 min. This thing shipped from China and the bias read perfectly as it was set with care at the factory. I have no idea what it sounds like, the Unos are brand new, cables are new. I didn't even listen to it as to not get an un-warranted less than stellar impression. I was actually so impressed with the unpacking and turning it on and having everything perfect, that was enough for the one day.

I will have the 501 hear by Wed., it will be interesting to see how it sounds with the S5's.....and the D3's

Quote Originally Posted by tunes View Post
    Congrats bob, on picking up LM. Like many others, i loved listening to the LM devore gear at rmaf.
    Thx Tunes....I agree, nice stuff!

Super Moderator

Very cool Bob!

Amazing gear! I need to hear the Unos too.

Quote Originally Posted by Absolare View Post
    Mark, thx....on the AS stuff.

Doug/Joe....... Hey Joe Ha! I just installed the 518 LM amp on new Unos. The entire experience of opening the box, admiring the packing job, trying to lift the little monster (about 70lbs) out of the box etc. Then turning the 845's for the first time and checking bias after 10 min. This thing shipped from China and the bias read perfectly as it was set with care at the factory. I have no idea what it sounds like, the Unos are brand new, cables are new. I didn't even listen to it as to not get an un-warranted less than stellar impression. I was actually so impressed with the unpacking and turning it on and having everything perfect, that was enough for the one day.

I will have the 501 hear by Wed., it will be interesting to see how it sounds with the S5's.....and the D3's

NAD C 658 streamer.

Congrats on picking up the line, Bob!

Allen

Wow Bob nice!! me and Doug walked down to see and hear this stuff last time I was at your place and they weren't very accommodating but all that LM gear is real nice and looks to be top quality . Congrats!!!
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Quote Originally Posted by Petro85 View Post
    Wow Bob nice!! me and Doug walked down to see and hear this stuff last time I was at your place and they weren't very accommodating but all that LM gear is real nice and looks to be top quality . Congrats!!!
    And it sounds even better than it looks!
    Doug

Bob...are you by chance going to bring the 502CA DAC from Line Magnetic into the studio as well. If yes, would love to hear your thoughts on it. There is one review on it out there from a reviewer in New Zealand but some positive comments about it on various audio forums. It seems reasonably priced and I would be interested in hearing your impressions if you were planning on having it on demo in your studio. Thx

PS: Look forward to hearing your impressions on the 501s and 518s. The 501s seem like they can drive a good number of speakers. The 518s will have to be more carefully matched with an easy load and higher sensitivity speaker.

Here are some pics of the 502 DAC and a link to the review: http://www.witchdoctor.co.nz/index.p...be-dac-review/

Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Hi Bob (Absolare)...not sure if you saw my question above. If you have a moment, please let me know if you plan on bringing in the LM DAC at some point. If yes, would love to hear your impressions on this unit. Thanks.
    Cyril
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Super Moderator

Bob and Cyril,

That Line Magnetic gear looks awesome.

NAD C 658 streamer.

It sure does, and from what I've read, it;s supposed to sound awesome too !!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Cyril, I was lent one on one of the many occasions while I was waiting for my Lampizator dac to be fixed. For the money it is a bargain & quite a good dac, easy to live with & very versatile considering the price point. I think the reviewer in that link may have been a slight bit over enthusiastic, but in saying that it did surprise me & was better than I thought it would be.

Kev...thx for that feedback. Any way to contextualize its performance relative to some other DACs you have tried (or maybe even vs. the DAC on the Oppo that you own)? Thx
    Cyril

Cyril, I would say it is in the same neighbourhood as the oppo or maybe even uptown a tad performance wise. Lovely to go to the tubes if ss becomes too harsh on some albums. The ss can be a quite forward presentation from memory, like beer & party hall mode, the tubes, red wine & personal. Of course, the caveat here is that it was fronted by a $25k pre-amp....

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team