Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Reasons to Add Olive Oil to Your Diet!

Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Re: Reasons to Add Olive Oil to Your Diet!

My wife was saying something similar to me the other day, saying some stat on how Greeks live longer or healthier because of their diet, which includes healthy doses of olive oil.

Allen

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    My wife was saying something similar to me the other day, saying some stat on how Greeks live longer or healthier because of their diet, which includes healthy doses of olive oil.
    I cook with olive oil almost exclusively, very heart healthy....and very tasty !
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Love using extra virgin olive oil which is high in polyphenol antioxidants. One tip is to look for olive oils that indicate a “harvest date” within the last year, or with at least a year to go before its “best by” date. We try to only buy what we will use in 1-2 months as extra Virgin will loose it effectiveness of those polyphenol antioxidants if left setting around for months on end.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    I cook with olive oil almost exclusively, very heart healthy....and very tasty !
    What does heat, as in cooking with, do to the presumed health benefits of olive oil?
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    What does heat, as in cooking with, do to the presumed health benefits of olive oil?
    Good question. It was thought that high heat broke down olive oil; a recent study, however, proved that a myth. So you can use olive oil to sauté as well as to use on your salad or drizzle on your tapas.
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

I'm no scientist, but since I made the switch years ago my cholesterol improved pretty dramatically. So there must be something to it.
    I also dress hot steamed veggies with it instead of butter, it coats so well that you really don't need much. I use a more expensive oil for that.
    Believe it or not, it even tastes great on fresh sweet corn.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

While it's the topic of another thread, butter (as well as red meat) aren't the ogres they've been made out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
    While it's the topic of another thread, butter (as well as red meat) aren't the ogres they've been made out to be.
    Thank you (and the less processed the better)…and for (high heat) cooking the much maligned COCONUT oil is the champ.
    There is too much nutritional misinfo out there….but people need to learn that they must take responsibility for finding out for themselves. Reliance on outside authority when its your own well being in play may not be the best prescription...
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

keep using it boys and girls for the nations largest importer and bottler of olive oil is one of our biggest customers on one of our railroads in Upstate NY. We bring via tank car around 2,000,000 gallons of edible oil every month !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

I wasn't aware that coconut oil is "much maligned". In fact I thought it was this decade's trendy food?
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;

I wasn't aware that coconut oil is "much maligned". In fact I thought it was this decade's trendy food?
    Yes hardly. It's basically a MCT and they've been around forever.

But it actually might be productive to stay OT. Let's start a new thread about coconut oil if wanted.

My wife swears by olive oil on her skin as a moisteriser. We have had extra virgin in the house for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    We have had extra virgin in the house for decades.
    Wow ………. that takes celibacy to a new level !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

So here's an interesting analysis. You might also want to use some of the links on this page for more specific and extended discussion of some of the assertions

https://eatingrules.com/cooking-oil-comparison-chart/

Coconut oil isn't too popular here
    Rob

Its a nonsense chart, but carry on.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Its a nonsense chart, but carry on.
    While the chart is confusing, this summarizes things fairly well. I might add a few things but one can't go wrong followowing these points:

The Handy Dandy Cooking Oil Comparison Chart | Small Bites

Especially if you believe the processing of seed oils leads to their degradation or the useless addition of antioxidants like Vit. E to prevent rancification of the oils. In fact, Paleo people really don't believe in seed oils at all because of that.

I am science based when it comes to these things, so its not about belief. Coconut oil is the safest oil to use in high heat cooking. Heating the Omegas causes long term problems, especially the very delicate Omega 3 oils.

Paleo people can continue to pretend that we live in Paleolithic times, but this toxic modern world we live in demand smart adaptation.

Too much of a rabbit hole to deal with here, so i sign off here.
    NORMAN

Unfortunately, real nutrition research is rare, simply because it is impractical. We can do the biochemistry, but connecting that to actual human values is problematic. There are simply too many important variables to control for, so we end up trying to find easily usable surrogate measures rather than true outcome measures.

I didn't think there was any real debate about heating Omega-3's.

Myles I almost posted your link also. The chart I posted was from 2012, so not totally current, but some of the links from it are newer.
    Rob

Unfortunately, real nutrition research is rare, simply because it is impractical. We can do the biochemistry, but connecting that to actual human values is problematic. There are simply too many important variables to control for, so we end up trying to find easily usable surrogate measures rather than true outcome measures.

I didn't think there was any real debate about heating Omega-3's.

Myles I almost posted your link also. The chart I posted was from 2012, so not totally current, but some of the links from it are newer.
    The problem is that everyone is a genetically distinct being. So what works for me won't necessarily and often doesn't work for you. That's why that one size fits all approach so often promulgated throughout the fitness industry and those infamous infomercials (all controlled by one company) are asinine. That's why trainers saying their way is the only way (just as with diets) is moronic.

We also use Virgin olive oil spread, not butter or margarine.

Speakeasy

Chopped or sliced up tomato's, soaked in olive oil in a bowl with a bit of salt

Fresh bread if you like, especially nice to soak up the last of your fav olive oil.

The simple things in life are often the best
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Chopped or sliced up tomato's, soaked in olive oil in a bowl with a bit of salt

Fresh bread if you like, especially nice to soak up the last of your fav olive oil.

The simple things in life are often the best

We do that as well, but add fresh finely chopped basil. Rather tasty
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

I am a Italian of course I love olive oil. My first wife's nick name was olive . But as a side note to the oil topic. I am a hypoglasimic as such
    the Atkins diet always does very well for me. My colesterol is about 180 or so . But when I am on his diet plan with all the fat I eat it drops to below 140. And my tri g,s get lower as well. I think we are very complex and very much indidividuals in our needs
    Al

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Reasons to Add Olive Oil to Your Diet!