Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: AXPONA Chicago April 24-26, 2015 - Who is going?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'll be there! Don't forget to stop by the Resolution Acoustics rooms where they will have TWO PAIRS of Strads! One in a treated room and one in a untreated room.
    I am looking forward to the treated vs. untreated comparison.
    Harbeth C7ES-3/30 • Pass Labs XA30.5 • McIntosh C220 • Modwright/Sony SCD-XA5400ES • VPI Scout+ADS/JMW-9/Nagaoka MP-500
    "[N]ot everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." -William Bruce Cameron
    "Measurements do not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth." -John Atkinson

AXPONA Chicago April 24-26, 2015 - Who is going?

+1

Stiff test given the rooms at the hotel. You should hear those rooms empty.

Really disappointed that i'll miss your tape panel on Sunday Myles. Unfortunately, i'll be heading to the airport to fly out at that point.
    Chris

Sorry to hear you are leaving early! Hopefully we'll bump into each other!

I'll be leaving around the same time, too. Would've been interesting to hear about R2R.

Allen

I booked a late flight this time around in order to take in more on Sunday.

Monday morning will be interesting, but I've done worse.
    Harbeth C7ES-3/30 • Pass Labs XA30.5 • McIntosh C220 • Modwright/Sony SCD-XA5400ES • VPI Scout+ADS/JMW-9/Nagaoka MP-500
    "[N]ot everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." -William Bruce Cameron
    "Measurements do not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth." -John Atkinson

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'll be there! Don't forget to stop by the Resolution Acoustics rooms where they will have TWO PAIRS of Strads! One in a treated room and one in a untreated room.
    You can read about the details of the AXPONA comparison setup here.

So what's the Audiophile Marketplace like? What should I expect to see? Despite living in Chicago, I've never been to Axpona, but am now planning to go for one day (probably Friday). Of course my curiosity about the Marketplace is seemingly moot as it's not scheduled for Friday, which seems very odd.

The Paragon team invites you to join us at the 2015 Axpona Show in Chicago!

Find us on the 2nd Floor, in the...

Sheffield Room
    featuring Dan D'Agostino Master Audio Systems
    D'Agostino Momentum Preamplifier
    D'Agostino Momentum Monoblock Amplifiers
    Wilson Audio Alexia Loudspeakers
    Cabling by Transparent Audio & Audio Racking by HRS
    Static Display Preview: D'Agostino Momentum Lifestyle & D'Agostino Master Power Series Amplifiers.

Graham Room
    featuring Doshi Audio
    Doshi V3.0 Line Stage, Phono Stage, & Tape Stage
    Doshi V3.0 Monoblock Amplifiers
    Introducing the New! Wilson Audio Sabrina Loudspeakers
    Brinkmann Audio Balance Turntable
    Cabling by Transparent Audio & Audio Racking by HRS

Rooms presented by Paragon Sight & Sound.

Questions?
    Contact us...
    by phone at (734)-662-3595
    or by email: info@paragons

One week away - woot!

I heard the Paragon room at RMAF two years ago - one of my favorites, actually, and an *incredible* tape front end (Studer, I think). Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    One week away - woot!

I heard the Paragon room at RMAF two years ago - one of my favorites, actually, and an *incredible* tape front end (Studer, I think). Wow!
    Yes one year they were using Bruce Browns A80 out into Nick's tape pre. Mike heard it.

I think that was the system I remember. It still ranks as one of the best front-ends I've ever heard.

I think that was the system I remember. It still ranks as one of the best front-ends I've ever heard.
    Tape can make a $400 pair of JBLs sound like a million dollars.

The $12K Project turntable with the Koetsu Azule Platinum was outstanding too.

Looking forward to Nick Doshi's room.
    I remember hearing the Paragon room a couple of years ago at RMAF when they had Nick's tape pre, etc. through Alexia's. On the first day I thought it sounded just OK. Not sure what changed but on the Saturday that room sounded really really good.

Quote Originally Posted by tunes View Post
    Looking forward to Nick Doshi's room.
    I remember hearing the Paragon room a couple of years ago at RMAF when they had Nick's tape pre, etc. through Alexia's. On the first day I thought it sounded just OK. Not sure what changed but on the Saturday that room sounded really really good.
    I think that's true of most rooms at shows.

Day 1 is always a crapshoot. Unless someone comes in early a gets a day up on the others to set up or has been in the room before and has a handle on the acoustics.

I noticed today (got May Stereophile) that AXPONA seems to be branding the show as "AudioCon" for " Audio Convention" I assume. I guess this makes sense: AXPONA as an acronym doesn't mean anything, but the casual observer/layperson can probably extrapolate what "AudioCon" is all about. I'm no advertising/marketing expert, but this seems to make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
    I think that's true of most rooms at shows.

Day 1 is always a crapshoot. Unless someone comes in early a gets a day up on the others to set up or has been in the room before and has a handle on the acoustics.
    That's why I've never understood the rush to post reviews of shows the evening after it started. After going to Day 1 of Newport last year, I'm just doing 2 and 3 this year. Sound was worse and many vendors weren't even setup on time.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    That's why I've never understood the rush to post reviews of shows the evening after it started. After going to Day 1 of Newport last year, I'm just doing 2 and 3 this year. Sound was worse and many vendors weren't even setup on time.
    Keith,

Newport has an extra day this year, for press and industry only. So Day 1 will actually be Day 2

alexandre

Just a note to any Joan Armatrading fans that were looking for tickets to her Thurs pm show. City Winery Chicago has just released a few pairs of tickets.

We're incredibly excited to launch the Perfect Storm at Axpona. These truly are speakers that take everything we know and wrap it into one package, one 63" tall, 350 pound package!

We will be in the Higgins conference room on the main floor with show partners Lamm, LampizatOr, Antipodes, and Verastarr.

In addition to the Higgins room as mentioned above, make sure to check out LampizatOr in room 504 where we will be demonstrating our Big 7 DAC!

Well, there seems to be some interest in a dinner. Personally, I would love the opportunity to network with more like-minded individuals.

How about Saturday at 7pm? There is an Italian place across the street that looks like it could handle a group: Carlucci Italian Restaurant and Banquets in Rosemont Illinois Italian-American fare, not too expensive, and nice bar list. And an easy walk for those of us who won't have a car.

I can call and make a reservation if there are some takers. Eh?

Well, there seems to be some interest in a dinner. Personally, I would love the opportunity to network with more like-minded individuals.

How about Saturday at 7pm? There is an Italian place across the street that looks like it could handle a group: Carlucci Italian Restaurant and Banquets in Rosemont Illinois Italian-American fare, not too expensive, and nice bar list. And an easy walk for those of us who won't have a car.

I can call and make a reservation if there are some takers. Eh?
    I have a strong interest.... however, I raised the thought about a month ago ( see No. 36) without much response - so now I'm committed Saturday. If this moves to Friday then a) I am absolutely in.
    and b) I know Carlucci's very very well - it's a great place, good food, and the bar is a great place to mingle, so strong endorsement.

I would be interested Fri before or after the barber concert.
    Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team