Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

Health, Wellness and Medicine

New Health, Wellness and Medicine forum to help our members share good ideas for a healthy lifestyle.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Health, Wellness and Medicine

I think if you follow their advice, you will be healthy and have no friends vs. sickly and all the friends one could desire. That said, their advice seems a little strange as the active chemical in garlic degrades with exposure to air. That's why once you cut garlic, it begins to lose it's properties.
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

I'm eating garlic, lots of it, but not dried and included in pills but just fresh (as is) or added to sauces. My friends don't mind and my mouth does not smell (but yes, I'm lucky my wife loves it too).
    There are several tricks to get rid of garlicky breath: mint/eucalypt drops, fresh parsley leaves and (obviously) a good oral hygiene. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not consuming it on a daily basis but roasted chicken or fish cooked on a salt bed served without the traditional "mujdei" (a sauce made of crushed garlic with water, oil, vinegar and salt) would lose most of their taste.

Northern California Coast & San Francisco

Deleted

Don't do the garlic/wine drink thing from the link. Look, I love wine, but you're only kidding yourself to think it's going to help you get fit. And one spoonful of anything (that's natural, not poison) is not going to help you lose fat. The only drinks good for getting fit are water, coffee, tea. And milk, depending on your dietary needs -- sometimes with protein powder if you lift. I find that coffee (caf or decaf) works particularly well as a natural appetite suppressant -- drink it black if possible, and never any sugar. Apples are great too for a filling low-cal snack -- 1 or 2 of these a day.

If you've tried it let me know

Garlic drink sounds nothing like the most powerful healing drink, but once you find out how easy you can make it and learn more about its benefits, you will sure want to have it in your kitchen.

It can eliminate the salt and salt deposits in your body, strengthen the organism, fight viruses, infections and bacteria, purify the blood, and strengthen the immune system, blood vessels and heart function.

This drink eliminates the excess fat and boosts your metabolism. You can use it to treat diseases and inflammations common in women, and in addition to all the above, it cleanses the harmful deposits in the body.

Ingredients:

12 garlic cloves
    17 oz/ 1/2 liter of red wine

Preparation:

Cut 12 garlic cloves into quarters and put the pieces in a jar.
    Add 1/2 liter of red wine.
    Close the jar well and keep it close to the window, exposed to direct sunlight, for two weeks.
    Shake the content in the jar several times a day.
    Filter the liquid after two weeks and keep it in a dark glass bottle.

Consume a teaspoon of the drink three times a day for a whole month, and repeat the treatment after six months.

May I add my $0.02?
    Never start any "strong" diet before consulting your physician, you can get malnutrition (with anemia, hypoglycemia and low concentration effects) even if you're outright overweight!

Would that be a physician that has studied medicine & not nutrition?

[QUOTE=bzr;108860]If you've tried it let me know

Garlic drink sounds nothing like the most powerful healing drink, but once you find out how easy you can make it and learn more about its benefits, you will sure want to have it in your kitchen.

It can eliminate the salt and salt deposits in your body, strengthen the organism, fight viruses, infections and bacteria, purify the blood, and strengthen the immune system, blood vessels and heart function.

This drink eliminates the excess fat and boosts your metabolism. You can use it to treat diseases and inflammations common in women, and in addition to all the above, it cleanses the harmful deposits in the body.

Ingredients:

12 garlic cloves
    17 oz/ 1/2 liter of red wine

Preparation:

Cut 12 garlic cloves into quarters and put the pieces in a jar.
    Add 1/2 liter of red wine.
    Close the jar well and keep it close to the window, exposed to direct sunlight, for two weeks.
    Shake the content in the jar several times a day.
    Filter the liquid after two weeks and keep it in a dark glass bottle.

Consume a teaspoon of the drink three times a day for a whole month, and repeat the treatment after six months.[/QUOTEDeleted.
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Quote Originally Posted by iosiP View Post
    May I add my $0.02?
    Never start any "strong" diet before consulting your physician, you can get malnutrition (with anemia, hypoglycemia and low concentration effects) even if you're outright overweight!

What in the world is a strong diet? I've studied nutrition and have never heard that term before.

I have been using the Isagenix Detox program for several years. It is a whole body molecular level detox, not just a colon cleanse. The theory behind why Detoxing also helps you lose weight is due to the fact that our bodies encapsulate toxins with fat cells. You can diet and exercise all you want, but if you don't get rid of all the toxins, you cannot get rid of all the fat.

The very first time we did the program, we did it for 2 weeks. (you can choose 9day, 14day, or 1 month programs) I went from 184 down to 162 in those first 2 weeks and for the last 5 years of watching and maintenance weeks (sometimes the whole detox program) I have kept my weight between 164 and 167.

My wife has recently gotten into Intermittent Fasting and that is also working out for her. We also have fruit and veggie smoothies several meals each week along with drinking alkaline water to counteract the acidity we accumulate.

Many years ago after getting married and then gaining a lot of weight, I cut out butter and soda from my eating and got a Nordic Track. I went from 220lbs to 160lbs in less than 6 months and it took between 15 and 20 years to get back up to the 184lbs I was at 5 years ago.

Thanks for the additional forum Mike!
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

By the way, Diets do not work. Lifestyle changes do work!
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    By the way, Diets do not work. Lifestyle changes do work!
    Actually that's incorrect. All diets work. It's a question though just how long can you stay on them. Another way is looking at the five year diet results, eg. Did the dieters keep the weight off. Sadly in many cases no. And much of that has to do with simply dieting that wrecks the bodies metabolism. That why we have the yo-yo dieting effects.

When you look at some recent diet studies, the amount of weight lost from the "best" diet to the "worst" diet was three pounds. That's three pounds! Not a lot of difference considering all the hoopla. The factor that separates the diets was one thing: compliance.

Other factors weight into the picture as in that recent study from Harvard where they evaluated 12 or more markers of three popular diets besides weight loss. Of all the different markers other than metabolic effects, perhaps the most important related to health was looking at inflammatory markers from each diet.

As far as lifestyle changes. That's much easier said than done since knowledge does not change human behavior. There are now scores of books out there in the areas of motivation, habits, challenges, decisions, brain duality, etc. The problem boils down to individuality and personality. Everybody is different what works for client a won't work for client b eg. There is no cookie cutter approach to weight loss. What there is is exercise.

I agree Myles, and the basic definition of most diets would make them a temporary thing, not a lifestyle change. I know first hand how hard it is to stop eating certain things and almost never eat them again. Case in point, 25 years ago I used to drink several sodas a day. Now I drink several sodas per year.

Switched over to Beer

As for Garlic, find my tutorial thread in the off topic forum and grow your own. So much tastier and different than the year old stuff you buy at the store that is already trying to sprout the next growth before you can eat it.

http://audioshark.org/hobbies-113/gr...l#.VK7fAXtu49w

-----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
    What in the world is a strong diet? I've studied nutrition and have never heard that term before.
    Myles, English is not my first language so please give me a little slack! By "strong diet" I mean one that promises several pounds of weight loss every week. I think those destroy the metabolism and have, as you said, a yo-yo effect.
    I'm not fat (actually, I'm skinny for my age and height) but even if I were fat I wouldn't start a severe low (or no) carbo diet without first asking my physician (and having a full set of blood tests).

Myles, English is not my first language so please give me a little slack! By "strong diet" I mean one that promises several pounds of weight loss every week. I think those destroy the metabolism and have, as you said, a yo-yo effect.
    I'm not fat (actually, I'm skinny for my age and height) but even if I were fat I wouldn't start a severe low (or no) carbo diet without first asking my physician (and having a full set of blood tests).
    I thought that what you meant by "strong diet" was pretty clear -- a calorie reduction significantly more than 500 calories below your daily maintenance rate. Definitely not the best plan for most folks -- slow and steady wins the race in most cases. Not to mention the health risks involved anytime you subject a human body to anything "extreme".

That said, if you want several episodes of "Naked and Afraid", some of those folks go in looking pudgy and come out looking pretty good (a couple of the ladies ended up too thin), from what amounts to 21 days of nearly total starvation. Caveats being they were all young and extremely healthy, assumed large risks, and endured horrific suffering. That said, I was surprised that some of them came out looking pretty good. Maybe they were fed vitamins off-camera?

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    Would that be a physician that has studied medicine & not nutrition?
    This is a very important distinction that is overlooked by many.
    Anthony
    Analog: Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Actually that is not true. The important thing is not the calories but exercise. A relatively recent study entailed putting an overweight, borderline obese population On an 800 calorie per day diet and the effect on their metabolism/weight was studied over a five month span. 800 calories/day is considered extreme and AFAIK in all states can only be prescribed by a physician. (Simplistically assuming a normal diet is 2000 calories a day, this should result in 2.33 lbs weight loss a week.) One group dieted while the second contingent dieted and did resistance training at the same time. The first group lost weight but also decreased their metabolism. The latter group, even though on a strict diet not only lost weight but also maintained their metabolism. So the conclusion of the study was that it's exercise and not calories that are responsible for increasing metabolism eg. Muscle mass.

Quote Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
    I thought that what you meant by "strong diet" was pretty clear -- a calorie reduction significantly more than 500 calories below your daily maintenance rate. Definitely not the best plan for most folks -- slow and steady wins the race in most cases. Not to mention the health risks involved anytime you subject a human body to anything "extreme".

That said, if you want several episodes of "Naked and Afraid", some of those folks go in looking pudgy and come out looking pretty good (a couple of the ladies ended up too thin), from what amounts to 21 days of nearly total starvation. Caveats being they were all young and extremely healthy, assumed large risks, and endured horrific suffering. That said, I was surprised that some of them came out looking pretty good. Maybe they were fed vitamins off-camera?
    Again, no where in nutrition is there a definition of strong. I understand that English is not IOSP's first language but pardon me if it's confusing. I'd like to know where you pulled 500 calories out of? If a normal person's diet is 2000 calories/day, it's only below 1200 calories per day that requires a doctor's note. Or for instance, I at 60 years old, require around 3500 calories a day (determined using indirect calorimetry). So I could eat 2300 calories less before running into an extreme diet. That's the issue when you try and generalize when it comes to medicine, fitness, nutrition, since every person is an individual with different needs.

And as far as extreme, you can eat a "normal" plant based or for that matter any diet and put yourself in a deficiency. But do you know how many cases of deficiencies are actually seen in the Western hemisphere? Much fewer than you think. Where you see nutritional deficiencies is by far and away in third world countries. That's because pretty much everything we eat, for better or worse, is supplemented.

Why not a chocolate diet now that I could stay on.
    Lyra Atlas, tri-planner, clear audio statement, Burmester 100, Ayre KXR20, Ayre MXR20, Ayre DX5, Adept Response line conditioner, Ayre signature interconnects, Cardas clear power cables,cardas clear speaker cables and Martin Logan CLX with Decenti subs with Cardas hex link.
    Not in use Infinity QLS and Ohm F

Probably what most people lack in a modern diet are the essentially fatty acid in non denaturated form, as well as some vitamin D3 in the Winter and (bioavailable) minerals (co-enzymes). Getting these regularly creates a virtual circle.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

As Myles said, in developed countries diets don't really "lack" for anything. "Benefits" from supplements and/or dietary alterations tend to be few if any if actual scientific evidence is used as the criterion for benefit. Changing the amount and composition of dietary fat with resultant improvement in cardiovascular risk is one of the obvious exceptions; perhaps posters could chime in with more. We can easily fill this forum with anecdotes, and that is not necessarily bad, but in that case let's not make it sound like facts.
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

I am talking about food. Consuming denaturated fats and counting them as EFA is just wrong and you pay the health consequences.

Many are vit D deficient in the winter...go do a test and as for coenzymes, well you need to get them in bio-available forms so the Centrum type stuff is a waste of time. Try chelated or ionic. The cattle industry sure spends their money on Albion labs stuff, so there is a financial justification.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    I am talking about food. Consuming denaturated faats and counting them as EFA is just wrong and you pay the health consequences.

Many are vit D deficient in the winter...go do a test and as for coenzymes, well you need to get them in bio-available forms so the Centrum type stuff is a waste of time. Try chelated or ionic. The cattle industry sure spends their money on Albion labs stuff, so there is a financial justification.
    You know, this sounds nice and may have some truth to it; what actually is "vitamin D deficiency" is being re-evaluated, as are the possible health consequences. I think your statement (not the part about the cattle industry, though, that's certainly true) is largely wishful thinking and extrapolation.
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;

Let me understand what you are saying, consuming denaturated EFAs is NOT harmful and there are no health consequences? Just what exactly do you describe as wishful thinking?

I dont deal with "sounds nice", I only care about results.
    NORMAN

Well, what are these "denatured EFA's" that are being widely consumed, and what are the health consequences?
    Rob

You cant be serious...
    NORMAN

Come on, my wife has a recent MS in Nutrition, and I've been a physician for 35+ years. What you are saying is simply not accepted science. As I said, it's clear that vitamin D deficiency is about much more than rickets, but the disease spectrum and what constitutes deficiency is far from established. And as far as the health consequences of consuming denatured fatty acids and their prevalence in a typical diet, that is even farther from established.

But OTOH I'm very interested in knowing more about what you are saying and what actual research is being done.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    Come on, my wife has a recent MS in Nutrition, and I've been a physician for 35+ years. What you are saying is simply not accepted science. As I said, it's clear that vitamin D deficiency is about much more than rickets, but the disease spectrum and what constitutes deficiency is far from established. And as far as the health consequences of consuming denatured fatty acids and their prevalence in a typical diet, that is even farther from established.

But OTOH I'm very interested in knowing more about what you are saying and what actual research is being done.
    There have been many recent studies reporting the benefit of Vit. D on such things such as colo-rectal cancer.

Vitamin D & Colorectal Cancer

In the last few years, physicians have re-evaluated the data regarding what are considered adequate levels of Vitamin D. Pretty much anyone who lives in a northern environment and doesn't take Vit. D supplements is probably Vit. D deficient (and remember that milk, although supplemented, is actually a poor bioavailable source for Vit. D). Everyone should as a part of their regular annual physical have their Vit. D levels checked (a simple blood test).

There seems to be a bit of debate how much Vit. D one should take a day. Speakers at a recent symposium recommended adding anywhere from 2000-5000 IU of Vit. D a day for adequate levels. I was taking a high quality multi-vitamin with 1000 IU of Vit D and found myself deficient. I now take 5000 IU a day and my levels are normal.

Robert, I looked up what Wisnon is talking about and he is correct but we call them Omega 6s FA (as opposed to Omega 3s or 9s). Omega 6s are pro-oxidant and one working hypothesis is that imbalances in Omega 3/6 ratios lead to chronic inflammatory processes that in the end result in a slew of diseases like diabetes, cancer, arthritis, alzheimers, etc. (for instance, see that Harvard study that I referenced for oxidation status of different diets.) For instance, those who eat lots of fried foods made with say safflower oil have huge imbalances in the 6/3 ratios. On the other hand it seems that everyday doctors are revaluating the importance of LDL/HDL and the all the different subfractions and their impact upon heart disease.

If you guys want more, contact me via email…which you can get on a PM or even my US IP number, though I am in Europe.

I have first hand experience from informal protocols I gave to a pal (actual symptom/disease state reversals, my own multiple extensive/expensive blood work and hair analysis, references in the Lancet, AJM, NEJM, etc.)
    The Nutrition field is VERY wide and a closed mind is unhelpful in these times.

One tip Robert, what do you think Transfat is? Oh, and BOTH Omega6 and 3 can be denatured. Omega 9 is NOT essential and the real good stuff is PARENT essential oils, not the derivatives and finally, ratios matter.

The Cholesterol brouhaha? Hahahaah, that is a real sham...
    NORMAN

Here is where we can agree with no problem. You have some lovely speaker there. LoL
    NORMAN

Norman, for once, imo, you have something of value to add & you want to go offline & don't want to share it with the forum. Share your first hand knowledge with us. As you know the real secret is in the butter, thats where they lost the hdl.

For once????

That says more about you than me! Heheheh

I go offline as the subjects are complex and very involved and cant be treated as frivolous quips. Way too serious for that, and for the record, I always share such info freely. There are at least 3 high end audio designers I have shared such info with on a relatively extensive basis and the coaches of 2 world famous athletes that most here have heard of. Not sure what they did with it though.

That reminds me, I have contact one of those audio guys for a long overdue meeting.
    NORMAN

Myles, my wife is 1.70 high and used to weigh between 55 and 57 kg (depending on the season). When menopause hit her (we're in our early fifties) she got up to 73 kg. She tried several diets and the only result (except from some inconsequential weight loss) was irascibility, sleepiness and a total lack of appetite for sex. Lucky the transition period is over and she's again to 55 - 56 kg, although she's eating more than a construction worker (especially sweet food like candy, cakes and chocolate).
    OTOH, I was always slim (except for a belly caused by a botched surgery, which left me with a severe case of eventration) and I seem to keep my weight no matter how much - or how little - I eat. I tried to gain weight by following a diet (complete with special supplements for bodybuilders) and all I gained was a lost of appetite for regular food.

BTW, I can stay without food for three days (no, no kidding) but I drink around 3+ liters of water daily. Also I can stay awake for 72 hours (I don't drink coffee) and sleep for several hours (my record is 21, followed by a meal and then another 10 hours of sleep). But I think everyone's metabolism is different...

Audioshark

http://usat.ly/1IuIlUA

The 'smart' shirt that could save lives
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Much of the world is ignorant of good health practices, and even in the developed world much of what little might be known is often ignored. Basic things (not a comprehensive list) like

No tobacco
    Immunizations
    Accident avoidance and mitigation (including things like seatbelts, good handwashing, safe sex, etc.)
    Regular exercise (not to excess)
    Limited consumption of animal products, especially farm-raised animals
    Avoiding processed foods and “fast food”
    Avoid over-eating or starvation
    Limited alcohol consumption

Neither conventional nor alternative medicine offers treatments which really substitute for or substantially alter the effects of ignoring these things. In fact, in the US, most visits to a health care professional are for self-limited conditions. Even ignoring the widely publicized urgings to get treatment for things like high blood pressure and diabetes, our health care system is woefully underutilized (think immunizations) and often underfunded as well (think mental health).

Good genetics (of course the least predictable and least controllable of all) may be more important than anything listed. Mother Nature gets the last laugh, as usual.
    Rob

Much of the world is ignorant of good health practices, and even in the developed world much of what little might be known is often ignored. Basic things (not a comprehensive list) like

No tobacco
    Immunizations
    Accident avoidance and mitigation (including things like seatbelts, good handwashing, safe sex, etc.)
    Regular exercise (not to excess)
    Limited consumption of animal products, especially farm-raised animals
    Avoiding processed foods and “fast food”
    Avoid over-eating or starvation
    Limited alcohol consumption

Neither conventional nor alternative medicine offers treatments which really substitute for or substantially alter the effects of ignoring these things. In fact, in the US, most visits to a health care professional are for self-limited conditions. Even ignoring the widely publicized urgings to get treatment for things like high blood pressure and diabetes, our health care system is woefully underutilized (think immunizations) and often underfunded as well (think mental health).

Good genetics (of course the least predictable and least controllable of all) may be more important than anything listed. Mother Nature gets the last laugh, as usual.
    Agreed.

That's why I piss in my pants when I go into my local health food store and someone is there agonizing over whether something is healthy to eat and they gotta be at least 50# overweight. Get your ass into the gym and forget about everything else! Exercise makes up for a variety of sins.

But again we know that knowledge doesn't change human behavior. The one thing though we're not doing is writing these people off now. Many of us are trying to use psychology to reach these people. After all, if we said 60% of the population had cancer, we'd have a new war on cancer. Yet 60% of Americans are obese and nothing is being done. The cost that this adds to health cares costs is unmeasurable. But we're not going to turn into a nanny state. No siree! Not us!

And genetics can not be underestimated as say inthe Askenazi Jewish studies at Albert Einstein Medical School. This population doesn't exercise, eat well or do anything else healthy and they live to be 100 years old. Turns out they have a particular mutation in a cholesterolase gene that seems to protect them. And of course everyone has read about telomeres, telomerase, aging and cancer too.

rbbert, there is a joke around here that I'll try to translate:

A middle age guy goes to the physician. After all tests and consulting are done, the MD says:
    "You're quite OK for your age, but you should stop drinking, smoking, eating fatty meals and exaggerating with sex"
    The patient asks: "Fine then, but will this make me live longer?"
    To which the doctor answers: "Not really, but it will feel awfully long to you."

And a version: the MD says "...if you should stop drinking, smoking, eating fatty meals and exaggerating with sex you will live another two decades"
    To which the patient answers: "Doctor, if I stop drinking, smoking, eating fatty meals and exaggerating with sex why the fuck would I want to live another two decades?"

..."Doctor, if I stop drinking, smoking, eating fatty meals and exaggerating with sex why the fuck would I want to live another two decades?"
    If these are the only (or even the main) things that make life worth living then you have much bigger problems than any doctor can help with...
    Rob

Relax, rbbert, this was a joke (and I mentioned it)! Do I need to use to make the message pass?

My response was also light-hearted, and the "you" was the collective impersonal "you"
    Rob

Rob

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Health, Wellness and Medicine