Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Leave it on?

Leave it on?

Do those of you who own an Esoteric CD/SACD player leave it on 24/7 or turn it off when you are finished listening? The person who sold me his K-03 said to leave it on all the time.
    B&W803D3; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Sennheiser HD800S and AudezeLCD-XC headphones

Super Moderator

Re: Leave it on?

I would have no problem leaving it on all the time. My Lumin and Marantz cd player are on all the time with the display off. They seem to sound their best that way.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I say leave it on. It's only using 25watts.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by Bachtoven View Post
    Do those of you who own an Esoteric CD/SACD player leave it on 24/7 or turn it off when you are finished listening? The person who sold me his K-03 said to leave it on all the time.
    I also own a K-03 and I strongly recommend you leave it powered up at all times. When not in use I simply dim the display.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

I have been and will continue to do so. Thanks for the input.
    B&W803D3; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Sennheiser HD800S and AudezeLCD-XC headphones

Except for a SS Class A amp, I would never turn SS gear off. There is a reason why some of it doesn't even come with an on/off switch because they don't want you to turn it off.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

I have two Esoteric K-03 CD/SACD/DAC players, one each in two different sound systems. Both are powered with power conditioners that are in turn powered by uninterruptable power supplies. In this way the K-03's never experience power outages or voltage surges when the utility power is momentarily lost and then restored. For the past year or so I have left the K-03's powered on 24/7. I don't like using the mechanical latching off/on pushbutton switch to power the units. What I discovered by leaving the K-03's powered continuously is they sound more natural and smooth, more musical and alive from the first notes. This was driven home for me about a week ago when I turned off the K-03 in the studio system after a late night listening session. I was tired. When I shut off the amps and preamp I reached and pressed the power button on the K-03 without giving it a thought. It was a couple of days later before I was back in the studio for another evening listening session when I realized I had turned off the K-03. I pressed its power button, then turned on the rest of the sound system and relaxed with my laptop computer for about 30 minutes while the system warmed up. That is my usual routine. After the half hour passed I place a familiar SACD, Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company, in the K-03's tray and pressed play. The first track is a wonderful duet with Ray and Norah Jones, "Here We Go Again" with Billy Preston on the Hammond B3. The music began and I immediately noticed what can only be described as a slight chill to the sound of the instruments as well as Ray and Norah's voices. Don't get me wrong, the SACD sounded excellent but there was a certain absence of the essence of life in the sounds that I was used to hearing. The glow of the voices and the texture of the B3's organ chords seemed slightly skewed from their true symmetrical form. Again, the performance was very good but my mind sensed the wind had changed direction by a few degrees so to speak. I am certain someone unfamiliar with the system's sound and a fully warmed K-03 would never have noticed what I caught. As the hours went on in the listening session things improved but it wasn't until the next evening, after leaving the K-03 energized overnight, that the force of a totally transparent and fully focused performance reappeared. The slight out of kilter sensation I experienced the previous night had vaporized. This experience reconfirmed to me that the Esoteric K-03's do in fact sound more natural and fully fleshed out when they are allowed to reach a stable operating temperature that is uninterrupted by periods of being turned off and going cold. In the future I am going to pay more attention to my actions and not turn the K-03's off again.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

I have a K5 and I turn it on typically 1 hour before listening, along with other components.
    Somehow I feel unsafe to leave my system on when I am not home.

A sidetrack question:
    Is any of the esoteric owner experiencing disc reading noise?
    The noise is always especially apparent (when the speakers are silent) on the first track and then reduced significantly afterwards.
    And more so with SCAD reading.
    Similar experience anybody?

Esoteric K-05,Oppo BDP 95, Cocktail Audio X50
    Accuphase C-2420,Mark levinson 532h,NuPrime IDA8, Line Magnetic 210IA(300B) & AS-125(211)
    Sonus Faber Guarneri Evo, Raidho X-1,ELAC 310ib, Elac 203.2,Acoustic Energy AE1 Classic, Spendor 3/5 SE
    Nordost Tyr2&Red dawn xlr,Analysis Plus Big Silver, Cardas Clear Power x 2,NBS Blk Label2,Voodoo Fire Dragon,Furutech Flux50x2 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by robhifi View Post
    [...]

A sidetrack question:
    The noise is always especially apparent (when the speakers are silent) on the first track and then reduced significantly afterwards.
    Yes, when loading and initially reading the disc contents the transport is quite noisy and more so with SACD where the player is attempting to respond to your preferred format layer. Thereafter the player is quiet with transport noise only audible if one is in close proximity to it.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by robhifi View Post
    I have a K5 and I turn it on typically 1 hour before listening, along with other components.
    Somehow I feel unsafe to leave my system on when I am not home.

A sidetrack question:
    Hey Robhifi, I have owned 4 Esoteric disc players, the X-01/D2, which was rather quiet all around. The K-01, which was noisy when the disc was loading, but quieter when it played, but still a noticable mechanical sound was always present. The D-02/P-02, which was rather quiet compared to the K-01 I had, but I could hear it when I was within a foot or so. And the P1/D1, which I could hear from my chair 10 feet away when I was breaking it in. I would leave it running in a loop for 4 days, and after the first day, I could hear it at my listening position. Now, after 400 hours of playing, I can still hear the mechanical noise, not from my chair, but within 2 feet easily.
    So, after all that, what's the point. I love the sound of Esoteric players, and obviously can live with the noise. Now , I don't listen to my player for 4 days straight, so I don't hear the noise from my chair anymore. And it has become quieter over the last 5 months. Also, when it is playing music, I am in my chair and even dead quiet passages in the music, I can not hear any noise.
    It bugged me for awhile, but after talking with many Esoteric owners, it's one of those things, some are noisier than others. And after years of owning these players, I have also noticed that it sounds best after a couple hours of warm up. So, when I know I'm going to listen, I turn it on the day before and run it in a loop to warm up. It sounds like music and nothing more. I would need to be right on top of the player to hear the mechanical noise. Esoteric has offered to take the transport and look into it, but it is a beautiful music maker and I can't hear the distraction unless I want to.
    And, I have also found, it is not that big of a difference between the warmed up transport and not warmed up to not listen.... And it gets warm as you go!
    Esoteric Gradioso P1/D1/G-01 clock, EMM Labs MTRX Mono Blocks with PRE, EMM DA2 and TX2 , NS1 streamer, Revel Salon IIs with Stillpoints, Artesania Rack, HB Marble, Stage 3 Krakens & Minotaurs, Nordost Valhalla clock cables , Matthew Bond Signature Silver Interconnects , Tara Evolution SC and ICs .

Thanks Kiwi and Cole. It's such a relief to know the noise issue is common and normal.
    The noise isn't really a problem but it would be just nice without it, especially considering the brand's reputation.

Esoteric K-05,Oppo BDP 95, Cocktail Audio X50
    Accuphase C-2420,Mark levinson 532h,NuPrime IDA8, Line Magnetic 210IA(300B) & AS-125(211)
    Sonus Faber Guarneri Evo, Raidho X-1,ELAC 310ib, Elac 203.2,Acoustic Energy AE1 Classic, Spendor 3/5 SE
    Nordost Tyr2&Red dawn xlr,Analysis Plus Big Silver, Cardas Clear Power x 2,NBS Blk Label2,Voodoo Fire Dragon,Furutech Flux50x2 etc.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Leave it on?