Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Oppo HA-1/PM-1

Audioshark

Oppo HA-1/PM-1

Well, I decided to take the plunge and buy a decent pair of headphones and a headphone amp. I heard this combo at RMAF and quite liked it. I was going to go with the Audeze LCD-3, but felt the PM-1 was a little more fatigue free listening overall.

No, I don't get the whole headphone thing, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I felt the Oppo stack was the best bang for the buck that I heard at RMAF.

If it doesn't work for me, thankfully Oppo has a 30 day money back guarantee.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/hands-o...uWVMIeh6ZhM4hG

http://www.digitaltrends.com/hands-o...6irowypGBV1yGp
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Oppo HA-1/PM-1

Excellent Mike! I'm in the queue for the PM-1 one week trial that Oppo are running in another forum. Can't wait.
    Dreams of bright shiny objects...
    ATC SCM7 Mk3 / NAD 218 THX / Luxman TP-117 / Sony CA70ES / Technics SL-6 + Ortofon OMP 30

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by gusgranite View Post
    Excellent Mike! I'm in the queue for the PM-1 one week trial that Oppo are running in another forum. Can't wait.
    Thanks. We will have to share notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I'm an PM-1 owner, driving them with Auralic Vega/Taurus. I've never heard them with the matching Amp. While headphones will never match speakers in some aspects, they can compete in others. Best not to compare the two, different experiences. I use my headphone setup at the office where a full setup is a non starter.
    Turntables: Acoustic Signature Invictus Jr. NEO, Grand Prix Monaco V3.0
    Tonearms: Acoustic Signature TA-9000 NEO, Kuzma Safir
    Cartridges: Miyabi Fuuga, Ortofon Century, Murashino Sumile Mono
    Phono Amplifiers: CH Precision P1, Channel D Lino 3.3
    Digital: CH Precision C1.2/D1.5/T1, Innuos Statement Nextgen, Luxman D-10X (Loan)
    Amplifiers: CH Precision L10/M10, Parasound JC1+, Gryphon Diablo 333 (Incoming)
    Speakers : Magnepan 30.7x, Wilson Audio XVX Chronosonic/Subsonics
    Cables: CAD Ground Controls/USB, Cardas Beyond Clear, Gobel Lacorde Statement
    Accessories: Artesania Exoteryc Racks & Damping Plates, Seismion Reactio, Degritter RC, RPG Acoustic Treatments/PSI AVAA, Torus Power/Plixir Elite BAC

I love the look of the headphones. Hopefully they sound good too.
    Doug

Can the HA-1 be used as a DAC for a 2ch system?
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

I listened to the Oppo set recently and found them to be quite pleasant and excellent value. I would be happy to find a place for these.

Speakeasy

Hi Mike. Have you had a chance to listen to the PM-1s much?

I have been listening to a loaner pair all week and I'm really enjoying them. I like that the bass response sounds quite flat to start with so you can EQ it up if you need to but you're not stuck with any boom.

The highs sound nicer than I've heard in headphones as well.

Gus
    Dreams of bright shiny objects...
    ATC SCM7 Mk3 / NAD 218 THX / Luxman TP-117 / Sony CA70ES / Technics SL-6 + Ortofon OMP 30

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by gusgranite View Post
    Hi Mike. Have you had a chance to listen to the PM-1s much?

I have been listening to a loaner pair all week and I'm really enjoying them. I like that the bass response sounds quite flat to start with so you can EQ it up if you need to but you're not stuck with any boom.

The highs sound nicer than I've heard in headphones as well.

Gus
    Yes. Last night. They sound smooth. Totally fatigue free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    Can the HA-1 be used as a DAC for a 2ch system?
    Absolutely!
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

How are you finding these. I am considering these, the PM2 and the Senn HD800 OR HD700.

Steve
    Devialet 200
    Melco N1A
    Sonus Faber Olympica 2

Auralic Taurus MK2 Headphone amp
    Hifiman HE1000 Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by Womaz View Post
    How are you finding these. I am considering these, the PM2 and the Senn HD800 OR HD700.

Steve
    No clue where you are located. I ordered mine right from OPPO https://www.oppodigital.com/products.asp

I still like my Audeze LCD2 which seemed to me to have better bass, a nice soundstage more open and a little warmer than the PM-1 and to me it felt more comfortable to wear with more room inside the cups. . The PM-1 a little clearer or lush in the mid's and highs, nice bass but the soundstage seems lack depth. Both are non fatiguing. I use the Woo Audio WA6-SE the dac used was a Hugo as well as the HA-1. ps: the PM-1 sounds really good through the Woo. Can't go wrong with the Oppo setup. We kept the PM-1's but sent back the HA-1.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

I finally got to see and somewhat hear the Oppo HA-1 in person last weekend (not to mention seeing Schiit stuff for the first time and meeting Jason Stoddard).
    The Oppo HA-1 is an absolutely beautiful amp/dac! Just about the prettiest out there. While I’m not in the market for a headphone amp nor do I need one. The Oppo HA-1 is too expensive for my use patterns, but I had to see it anyway after reading about it and staring at the pictures, that’s how nice it is. I only had about 4 minutes with it though. It was at a high-end headphone event and while I would have liked to ask more questions and get to know it more, especially on the dac side of things, I did not want to take the rep’s time up since I could not purchase one and did not want to take time away from anyone who would be purchasing.
    I did get to plug in my headphones (Just Sennheiser HD518s) for a few minutes. They sounded terrible with the Schiit amps (surprisingly to me, but not to the Schiit reps). However, the Oppo HA-1 seemed to actually make a subtle improvement to my HD518s. It seemed to bring out a tiny bit more of the mid-highs which is just what the HD518s seem to lack a little bit. It had an overall very pleasing sound that had an anti-fatigue quality. The source by the way, was a macbook playing apple lossless files.
    I wish I could afford one of these babies, but I also have no room for it in my cabinet anyway. The HA-1 is a class A amp and they run a bit on the warm side. I felt it placing my hand on the top vent area and it was pretty warm. Nothing that would make you take your hand away quickly, but I imagine it without at least 12 inches if room at least from the top and a fan would result in shut-downs and eventually damage.
    I did not get a chance to try the PM-1,2 or 3 headphones they had there.
    I do hope to own an Oppo product someday though.

~Eric

Quote Originally Posted by MusicDirector View Post
    I finally got to see and somewhat hear the Oppo HA-1 in person last weekend (not to mention seeing Schiit stuff for the first time and meeting Jason Stoddard).
    The Oppo HA-1 is an absolutely beautiful amp/dac! Just about the prettiest out there. While I’m not in the market for a headphone amp nor do I need one. The Oppo HA-1 is too expensive for my use patterns, but I had to see it anyway after reading about it and staring at the pictures, that’s how nice it is. I only had about 4 minutes with it though. It was at a high-end headphone event and while I would have liked to ask more questions and get to know it more, especially on the dac side of things, I did not want to take the rep’s time up since I could not purchase one and did not want to take time away from anyone who would be purchasing.
    I did get to plug in my headphones (Just Sennheiser HD518s) for a few minutes. They sounded terrible with the Schiit amps (surprisingly to me, but not to the Schiit reps). However, the Oppo HA-1 seemed to actually make a subtle improvement to my HD518s. It seemed to bring out a tiny bit more of the mid-highs which is just what the HD518s seem to lack a little bit. It had an overall very pleasing sound that had an anti-fatigue quality. The source by the way, was a macbook playing apple lossless files.
    I wish I could afford one of these babies, but I also have no room for it in my cabinet anyway. The HA-1 is a class A amp and they run a bit on the warm side. I felt it placing my hand on the top vent area and it was pretty warm. Nothing that would make you take your hand away quickly, but I imagine it without at least 12 inches if room at least from the top and a fan would result in shut-downs and eventually damage.
    I did not get a chance to try the PM-1,2 or 3 headphones they had there.
    I do hope to own an Oppo product someday though.

~Eric
    One thing I can say about OPPO, they have in book, great customer service. I've owned the 83, 93, 95, 103D, 105 players and now the PM-1
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Some great replies thank you. The problem with buying headphones is it's difficult to hear them before you buy. The PM2 are a lot cheaper and get really good reviews
    Devialet 200
    Melco N1A
    Sonus Faber Olympica 2

Auralic Taurus MK2 Headphone amp
    Hifiman HE1000 Headphones

Some great replies thank you. The problem with buying headphones is it's difficult to hear them before you buy. The PM2 are a lot cheaper and get really good reviews
    Look for sites that provide a 30 days return, OPPO does that.

Indeed! Where I live only one store in one location carries headphones that aren't Beats or ear buds. Unfortunately though, they do not allow demos. So there is but one opportunity per year with a headphone show that comes to town. However, your limited to what the exhibitors bring and they don't bring much as far as headphones go. I went to it a couple of weeks ago, but only found three headphones to try. There were a few others, but not on my list and either too uncomfortable or too pricey to consider. Unfortunately for me though, the phones I tried I could really only try for comfort mostly because I could not work any of the sources they had which were digital players, tablets or other strange things I've never seen up close. Unfortunately, the exhibitors don't help you much with them either. Everybody is way ahead of me on that stuff, but I also have no interest in it.

Yes, purchasing headphones is a gamble and personally at a certain price point I'm not comfortable with rolling those dice.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Oppo HA-1/PM-1