Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: What cartridges are you using?

Nagaoka MP-200
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Stanton 881S - 1.2gm tracking and loaded @ 100k

Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Stanton 881S - 1.2gm tracking and loaded @ 100k

Shane,how does it sound? I'm not familiar with it.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

The Stanton 881S was their top of the line cartridge back in 1977, I recall having one in my college years. It was one of the top rated MM carts in its day, and many such designs still have their fans and have had a resurgence of popularity in today's used cartridge market. Of course with cartridges of that age the stylus condition is not the only concern, since suspension damping components (often rubber) also age and harden over time which affects tracking ability.

Ortofon PW, A90 A95

Benz SLR

Kondo IO-M

ZYX Omega, My Universe Platinum is still in the box, I'm too scared to open it ;-)

Phasemation PP-1000

Charisma Reference One

Acoustical Systems, AMG, Aqua Acoustic Quality, Audeze, Audio Desk, Audible illusions, Audioquest, Aurender, Bryston, CH Precision, Chord Electronics, Constellation Audio, Dynaudiol, Fyne Audio, Grado labs, Ikeda, JL Audio, Kondo, Kronos, Kubala Sosna, Lumin, Luxman, Lyra, Magico, Nordost, PS Audio, Roon, Shunyata, SME, Sugden, Tenor, Tannoy, Vertere, VPI and ZYX.

www.audiobymarkjones.ca

I have a small collection but love every one of them... i think cart's for men is like diamonds for the ladies

Acoustical System "The Archon" (currently in use on a A.S Aquilar arm)
    Zyx R1000 Airy3 SB
    Myajima Takumi
    SPU #1E (love it!) - Currently in use on a SME 12"-m2R
    on order - EMT XSD15 (very curious about them!)
    thinking on buying later on:
    Ortofon A95
    ZYX premium omega
    Air tight pc1...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Speakers: Boenicke W13SE+ ֿ/ Clarisys Audio Auditorium
    Preamp: CH Precision L1
    Amp: CH Precision M1.1
    Cables: mostly Fono Acustica, VYDA, SAEC
    Digital: CH Precision C1.2+ Streaming hd board/ RoonLab NUCLEUS/ SOtM Lan switches and clocks. / Aries Cerat Helene
    TT:TT 1- V.Y.G.E.R INDIAN SIGNATURE + TITAN (KV9vta max /SAEC 4700 - second arm rotation)
    TT 2 - CSPORT TATM2 + LINEAR ARM (SAEC 4700 second arm rotation)
    Carts':AIDAS Tibetan Yak gold LE, Top Wing Red Sparrow, Etsuro Urushi GOLD, Sumile, Kondo IO-X, DS audio W3....
    Phono: CH Precision P1+X1
    Racks: ROGUZ carbon, ASR platform Ohio XL ...
    Power treatment Ps Audio P10 ֿ/ VYDA PD1

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Jones View Post
    Ortofon PW, A90 A95

Benz SLR

Kondo IO-M

ZYX Omega, My Universe Platinum is still in the box, I'm too scared to open it ;-)

Phasemation PP-1000

Charisma Reference One
    Hey Mark!
    which do you prefer the PP1000 or the Omega? and why?
    if you can put it in words...
    thank you.
    A
    Digital: CH Precision C1.2+ Streaming hd board/ RoonLab NUCLEUS/ SOtM Lan switches and clocks. / Aries Cerat Helene
    TT:TT 1- V.Y.G.E.R INDIAN SIGNATURE + TITAN (KV9vta max /SAEC 4700 - second arm rotation)
    Carts':AIDAS Tibetan Yak gold LE, Top Wing Red Sparrow, Etsuro Urushi GOLD, Sumile, Kondo IO-X, DS audio W3....

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    The Stanton 881S was their top of the line cartridge back in 1977, I recall having one in my college years. It was one of the top rated MM carts in its day, and many such designs still have their fans and have had a resurgence of popularity in today's used cartridge market. Of course with cartridges of that age the stylus condition is not the only concern, since suspension damping components (often rubber) also age and harden over time which affects tracking ability.

Wasnt pickering considered the better cartridge back then? i had both Stanton and pickering later leaving both for Grado by 79 , Some of My friends favored the V15 , but i was never a fan , favoring Grado and AT , for non MC...

Regards

Same cartridges with slightly different cosmetics and different target markets. The Stanton side of the building concentrated on marketing to broadcasters and studios first then home audio. Pickering was entirely targeting the home audio market.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Same cartridges with slightly different cosmetics and different target markets. The Stanton side of the building concentrated on marketing to broadcasters and studios first then home audio. Pickering was entirely targeting the home audio market.
    Yes, that's how i recall it too .....

EMT TMD-25 early mono, EMT TMD-15 late mono and EMT JSD6 stereo

emtcartridges.JPG
    Dealer / Manufacture Disclosure:

Jeff Whitlock
    A/V Solutions / Unity Audio Design
    www.avsolutionsca.com

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

double post

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

Added a new Air Tight PC-1 Supreme to my system recently. It's my full time cartridge now with a Benz LP-Smr here "just in case"
    Audionet Pre g2, Max, Pam G2, EPX. Yg Acoustics, Kubala Sosna

I've been using the DS Audio W1 and Master1 lately and they are incredible. They are a great combination of the power and warmth of a cartridge like the EMTs and the refinement of a modern moving coil without the ringing of a moving coil.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Beatnik View Post
    I've been using the DS Audio W1 and Master1 lately and they are incredible. They are a great combination of the power and warmth of a cartridge like the EMTs and the refinement of a modern moving coil without the ringing of a moving coil.
    Hi beatnik.
    great hearing about some experience with DS AUDIO carts.
    can you elaborate on what arm do you mount them on? which carts did they replace\you compare them to?
    thank you!

Ortofon Quintet Black here, on my Bryston TT. First moving coil, am loving it so far! Question for the floor: Ortofon's little pamphlet/manual says not to use cleaning fluids lest they loose adhesives...what do people here think? Any risk? I will admit though that if there's been one surprise with this cart so far it's been how little surface noise I hear, which is really a dramatic change over what i had been using previously.

EMT 75G limited edition, first impressions good rhythmic and meat and bones.
    Jesse

Thales Slim II ( EMT 75G) , Audio Technica ART-9
    Lumin X1 - Melco N1A/2
    Accuphase 2420, A48, C37
    Tannoy Kenn. GR

Cables: Ansuz Mainz (Dtc,diamond) PC - Shunyata Alpha Digital PC - Western Electric IC - Western Electric 1960 SC - Audioquest Vodka Ethernet
    Power Cond: Sound Application SA-240TZ

Quote Originally Posted by Milk_vanilla View Post

EMT 75G limited edition, first impressions good rhythmic and meat and bones.
    Im familiar with the tSD 15, I never heard of a 75G, tell us about it.

Dynavector DV-20x2L
    Audio Technica ART-9
    VAS Nova Signature
    Transfiguration Axia

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    Im familiar with the tSD 15, I never heard of a 75G, tell us about it.
    I believe the cartridge is the Tsd-75. My understanding is it sells for around $100 more than Tsd-15, and is the latest iteration of the Tsd....
    EMT Tsd-15 SFL/ WTL Amadeus GTA/ A23 Homage T2/ Shindo VR/Shindo D'yquem/Altec Valencia 846A w/ Werner Jagusch Crossover/ DeVore 0/96's/ Lignolab Rack

Anyone here tried the HANA ...? Mine is not mounted yet , but they come highly rated by many,

thoughts ...?

My local dealer is trying to talk me into the Hana cart. I know he is really impressed with it at it's price point.

I'v got extremaly rare Fairchild F-7!
    Awesome cart!

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Anyone here tried the HANA ...? Mine is not mounted yet , but they come highly rated by many,

thoughts ...?

They are superb for the money, neutral and detailed and musical. Unless you upgraditis, this is sufficient to enjoy music. Like Art 9, haven't compared the two, and not fair comparing this to higher priced ortofon, Lyra, or zyx.

Transfiguration Orpheus L

Etna SL s/n 099

Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika

Ortofon Windfeld (non-Ti).
    Venture Audio Grand Ultimate in Macassar Ebony, Thrax Dionysos pre, Thrax Tres mono's, Magnus MA-300 w/ MA-500 power supply, Stealth digital RCA, Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver pc's, Prana Wire Cosmos sp. cables, LG 65" OLED, ModWright modified Oppo 103D(transport), Reference Line Stage power conditioner, SME 20-2w/ Graham 2.2 tonearm, Ortofon Windfeld, Canary Audio MC10, PranaWire Linebacker, Luxman D-08 cd/sacd/dac.

Lyra Etna + Lyra Erodion Evo:

Welcome. First post!

My current stalwarts:
    Apheta 2 (ref avatar) on Dual 721
    Kiseki Purple Heart NS reissue (kudos to Herman van den Dungen) on AudioMods V (sadly unable to insert pic as post count must be at least 10)

My Backups:
    Dynavector 17D3
    Shure V15III

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Legrace, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Hi Legrace - welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Nagaoka MP-50. 2.5mv MM, superelliptical stylus, boron cantilever, tracking at 1.3gm and loaded at 100K, sometimes 47k.

after fcuking around for 30 minutes with a dodgy headshell wire, it's finally running and sounding excellent.

Currently using Denon DL-301MKII,

I have an Audio Technica AT440MLB and a few other old carts I can't remember the names of.
    Two Channel: Yaqin MS-20L amp, Hagerman Cornet2 phono pre, Technics SL1200-M3D, Emotiva ERC-1 CD player, Nakamichi CR-1A cassette, Klipsch La Scalas.
    Home Theater:Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver, 2 Emotiva Ultra-10 subs, Klipsch La Scalas (shared with 2 channel system), Klipsch Heresy IIs, Klipsch S-10, Infinity Primus P-150.

After being away for 5 months, Atlas comes back with a SL makeover. Time for Etna SL to have a well earned rest for a bit.

Aida, fresh back from the Soundsmith

Hana SL

Today's cartridge SPU Wood A

ortofonspuA-Wood001.JPG ortofonspuA-wood002.JPG

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

Does anyone have experiences with the Benz Gullwing SLR?

Would be interested to hear views.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Denver View Post
    Hana SL

I'm also enjoying the Hana SL!

plays well Above its price!

I've enjoyed the Gullwing for many years....I find it very balanced from top to bottom, never high lighting one particular area to the point of calling it (you fill in the blank). I find it to play all types of music well too, easy to get aligned being the stylus is out front. All in all a enjoyable cartridge for me.

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

Ortofon Cadenza Bronze--love it!

B&W803D3; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Sennheiser HD800S and AudezeLCD-XC headphones

Quote Originally Posted by Bachtoven View Post
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze--love it!

Ditto! Was blown away from the first time I dropped the needle. Still impressed a year later.

Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Musical Fidelity LX2LPS> Primaluna Dialogue Premium> Klipsch Forte III

Today's cartridge SPU #1

aw003.JPG

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

Quote Originally Posted by nile49 View Post
    Ditto! Was blown away from the first time I dropped the needle. Still impressed a year later.

May I join the club... also do greatly enjoy the Cadenza Bronze. Superb cart.
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Right now I'm not using any cartridge.

Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Ouch, that hurts to look at and makes me cringe! Condolences on your loss.

Lyra Delos, contemplating Ortofon Cadenza Bronze or Kiseki Purple Heart.

Today's cartridge A95

ortofonA95.jpg

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

Quote Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
    Today's cartridge A95

Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Also today's cartridge SPU A95 low number #003

spu004.JPG

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

What cartridges are you using?