Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

Musical Fidelity NuVista 800

I wanted to move my observations to a separate thread:

Once in a while a product comes along that is a complete game changer. A product that makes you rethink certain fundamental beliefs like you can't get tubey goodness without heat or you can't get sound from an integrated to equal top separates. Well, the NuVista 800 is that game changer.

David Baskin from Design Audio in Texas loaned me his Musical Fidelity NuVista 800 integrated. I've been listening nonstop on the Dali Epicon 8's and I cannot believe how the NuVista has transformed an already great speaker to new heights. It's truly hard to believe what I'm hearing.

The first thing I noticed was that despite all the tube goodness, this integrated runs from cold to luke warm! Second, because its a hybrid, you have SS bass control with tube mids and top end. The 300 watts a channel means the NuVista can drive virtually any speaker on the planet.

At soft volumes, the NuVista 800 shines. Step on the gas and the NuVista is up to the task without missing a beat.

The NuVista 800 has a slightly soft sound which is incredibly musical.

Although I haven't made a final decision, but at this point in time, David won't be getting this back. The NuVista 800 is a game changer and has proven itself to be an integrated amp worthy of "champion" status.

Downsides? Well, only one XLR input. That might be a downside for some. But that's one negative I'm willing to overlook when considering how incredible it sounds.

I had someone comment that the volume steps seemed a bit odd with the NuVista meaning you are turning it to about "60" out of (120) on the volume control before you reach a normal listening level. I spoke with the head of engineering today at Musical Fidelity and he explained that the steps are in equal db increments.

We talked about the design of the 800 and he explained that when the 800 was the first product in company history that they laid out the design, assembled the product and the what they built is now the finished product. He said that NEVER happens in manufacturing (i.e. no revisions to the original design).

We talked about the reliability of the NuVistor tubes and he said "well well north of 50,000 hours". The NuVistor tubes are NOT user accessible and it is not recommended that users attempt to change the tubes on their own. So yes, after 50,000 hours (20 years or so), you may just have to send the amp in for a tube replacement....or not and just keep listening for another 100,000 hours or so! Either way, he explained the NuVistor tubes are very reliable.

Musical Fidelity is currently working on a CD player and a Phonostage which will be built around the NuVistor tubes. The CD player will NOT support SACD despite my strong encouragement to the contrary. There are no current plans to build separate amps around the NuVistor tubes.

The Musical Fidelity rep explained how the 800 is receiving tremendous praise from around the globe. He discussed a recent review in a French magazine, as well as the recent review of the 800 in HiFi News (available on your iPad for download).

From a business standpoint, the first two production runs (400 each) of the NuVista 800 is completely sold out. So, I guess you could say they have sold 800, 800's!

If you are looking for an integrated (or even separates) that gives you all the magic of tubes, with solid state bass control in a single box that runs luke warm
    at best and is also gorgeous with superb build quality and a price that won't break the bank - give the Musical Fidelity NuVista 800 a listen. Its a winner - a game changer - in my books.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Musical Fidelity NuVista 800

but will it pass the 60-day test

sounds like fun. when you talked to MF, did they mention if it uses negative feedback? i love integrateds- it would be great to pit the MF against my Dart.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Great review Mike , exciting product - please keep us in the loop as your thinking & experience develops.....

Shodhan

does it come with a remote Mike?
    Just curious. One or two sets of balanced inputs?

Nick
    Nick

Main system :TAD CR1 speakers, Viola Labs Symphony amp,Pass XP-20 preamp., MSB Discrete DAC with twin power supplies and V2 Renderer module, Gigafoil V4 inline ethernet filter with uptone LPS-1 power supply with Ghent audio Gotham 2.1mm to 2.5mm cable and AG diamond ethernet cable, Sonicorbitor Roon Audiophile 6 TB network server-player , MG Audio Design Planus III jumpers & speaker cables, Zitron Cobra power cords, Shunyata Hydra AV, and acoustic zen absolute copper IC,. Room treatment ASC tower traps, Vicoustic absorber premium cinema wall and ceiling panels, and MSR acoustic trifusser side wall panel

I think we need a shoot-out between Hegel & MF integrated

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by veindoc View Post
    does it come with a remote Mike?
    Just curious. One or two sets of balanced inputs?

Nick
    One set of balanced inputs. A nice remote!

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    I think we need a shoot-out between Hegel & MF integrated
    I think I saw Mike's Hegel H30 already posted for sale on Audiogon along with the Luxman separates, so I think he already declared a winner in that shootout! Enjoy the tunes on your new setup, Mike!

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    I think I saw Mike's Hegel H30 already posted for sale on Audiogon along with the Luxman separates, so I think he already declared a winner in that shootout! Enjoy the tunes on your new setup, Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    nuvistor tubes appear to be the difference!
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

These tubes come from the military. Which where used in the late '50s.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo1972 View Post
    These tubes come from the military. Which where used in the late '50s.
    Ampex used them in their MR-70 tape preamps.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

As Mike said, the Nu Vista is an impressive bit of gear. What's interesting about it's sound character is that it sounds different than most electronics. I'm sure the hybrid design has something to do with that.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Hifi News review here

Ken Kessler bought the Nu-Vista 300 power when it came out. MF said in 1999 that there were only a spare set for Nu-vista owners. But I think they were not that honest.

There were more Nu-vistors than they said. They made it more exclusive than it was. I remember that when MF came with another 'exclusive' amp people were not that convinced anymore.

But that doens't matter. I think this one is the best looking amp they ever made. And it could be even the best sounding one as well!!

The art of proper equipment reviews is fast disappearing. We get a page and a half of technical description which is copied straight out of MF marketing material and less than a page of sonic description with the following two observations:
    1) solid bass
    2) three dimensional

Really? That's it KK? That's all you're going to tell me about how this piece of gear sounds. What about the rest of the frequency range, timbal accuracy, dynamics, resolution, etc...did you connect with the music emotionally? Apart from the passing commentRy that it's bass did not shame itself compared to your D'Agostino stereo amp how about some more comparisons with that widely known benchmark?

Shockingly lazy and uninformative writing and reviewing! My comments have nothing to do with the Nuvista 800 amp just how poor if a job KK did with trying to describe it's strengths and weaknesses.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    The art of proper equipment reviews is fast disappearing. We get a page and a half of technical description which is copied straight out of MF marketing material and less than a page of sonic description with the following two observations:
    1) solid bass
    2) three dimensional

Really? That's it KK? That's all you're going to tell me about how this piece of gear sounds. What about the rest of the frequency range, timbal accuracy, dynamics, resolution, etc...did you connect with the music emotionally? Apart from the passing commentRy that it's bass did not shame itself compared to your D'Agostino stereo amp how about some more comparisons with that widely known benchmark?

Shockingly lazy and uninformative writing and reviewing! My comments have nothing to do with the Nuvista 800 amp just how poor if a job KK did with trying to describe it's strengths and weaknesses.
    Maybe it was a rush job to scoop the competition?

Audioshark

Cyril - it's such a hard piece to describe. It sounds like nothing else I've owned. It has black black backgrounds, it sounds more like music and less like amplifier. That's the best way I can describe it. Vocals are so pure and beautiful that you will get goosebumps. If you want to crank some Zeppelin - it rocks right along with you.

If it had Vitus on the front and cost $50,000, every audiophile on the planet would be clamoring for one.

I sent my payment yesterday. I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike...in your 1 paragraph you said more than KK did in 3 pages thx for sharing your thoughts.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Audioshark

Thanks Cyril. I'll try to get down some more thoughts as time goes on.

Hopefully some other members will get to hear it and chime in.

I think Peter heard it and may have some comments.

I'll have it again sometime next month, and I will share my impressions again.

It truly is the best integrated I've ever heard.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Mike and Mark, I was wondering if you have any further thoughts to share on the NuVista 800? Cheers.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by nfnc View Post
    Mike and Mark, I was wondering if you have any further thoughts to share on the NuVista 800? Cheers.
    Nicholas - I just sent you a PM. Yes, I do think the NuVista 800 would be excellent with Magico S3's. But if you go with those Avantgarde Acoustics Uno Fino's (104db), I would certainly be looking for a sweet sounding SET tube amp - 2A3, 45 or 300b.

Mike

I agree with Mike. The Nu Vista would be great on the Magicos,if that's the speaker your sticking with.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Thanks, Mike and Mark. Looks like the NuVista is really something. Local dealer is sold out till February and its going to be hard to listen to it anytime soon.

You may want to contact David Baskin @ Design Audio Video, he may still have one in stock.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Would love to but I live in the Far East.

With...drawn

Audioshark

I'm selling mine if anyone is interested. I'm selling for no other reason than I want to try some different things. Thinking Harbeth 40.1's and ARC, Dart, etc.

If anyone is interested in the Dali's or NuVista, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
    With...drawn

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'm selling mine if anyone is interested. I'm selling for no other reason than I want to try some different things. Thinking Harbeth 40.1's and ARC, Dart, etc.

At this rate, you would probably (if not already) have owned, lived with and listened to more goodies than most reviewers. Possibly even to have your own TV series, Chronicles in Audioland

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by nfnc View Post

At this rate, you would probably (if not already) have owned, lived and listened with more goodies that most reviewers. Possibly even to have your own TV series, Chronicles in Audioland
    That's right!

I lost the bet. Damn! What took you so long? LOL!!!

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by knghifi View Post
    I lost the bet. Damn! What took you so long? LOL!!!
    LOL. Christmas, holidays, you know, that sort of thing. Hey, it's a great piece, did nothing wrong....I just want to try some different things. Since my main system is sounding so damn good, I can't do much there. The second system will allow me to scratch that itch.

Would love to hear the Nuvista 800 up against the new Pass Labs integrated's, either the Int-250 or Int-60. Same sort of money. Would be a super shootout!

Resurrecting an older thread. I have been considering this integrated and wanted to see if there is any new experience with this piece since the last post. Looks like a beauty of an integrated.
    Kevin

Main: VPI Aries 3/Grado Reference3, and Aurender N200 > PS Audio DS DAC. Luxman L-509Z integrated amp. Sonus Faber Elipsa SE speakers. PS Audio P10 power. Transparent Audio, Cardas and Audioquest cables.

Bar: EAT C-sharp/Hana MH, and exaSound s82 > Luxman L-595SE amp. GolderEar One.R speakers. Shunyata power, Audioquest cables.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by 4N6 View Post
    Resurrecting an older thread. I have been considering this integrated and wanted to see if there is any new experience with this piece since the last post. Looks like a beauty of an integrated.
    It's a nice piece, but despite hundreds of hours of break in, I couldn't get rid of it's excessive sibilance. Hopefully others can weigh in. Maybe it was just my unit?

It's a nice piece, but despite hundreds of hours of break in, I couldn't get rid of it's excessive sibilance. Hopefully others can weigh in. Maybe it was just my unit?

Mike,

That is what I was afraid of. I have owned a number of MF products in the past and exaggerated sibilance seems to be common. It doesn't help when that sonic signature is what I loath the most. Too bad, as the build quality seems to be excellent.

Now, if the Luxman L-590AX II only had a little more power...
    Kevin

Main: VPI Aries 3/Grado Reference3, and Aurender N200 > PS Audio DS DAC. Luxman L-509Z integrated amp. Sonus Faber Elipsa SE speakers. PS Audio P10 power. Transparent Audio, Cardas and Audioquest cables.

Bar: EAT C-sharp/Hana MH, and exaSound s82 > Luxman L-595SE amp. GolderEar One.R speakers. Shunyata power, Audioquest cables.

Audioshark

Mike,

That is what I was afraid of. I have owned a number of MF products in the past and exaggerated sibilance seems to be common. It doesn't help when that sonic signature is what I loath the most. Too bad, as the build quality seems to be excellent.

Now, if the Luxman L-590AX II only had a little more power...
    I have a Vitus RI-100 I can send you to try. 300 watts per channel. The other options would be the Pass INT-250 or the Ayre integrated. All three are excellent and powerful.

I have a Vitus RI-100 I can send you to try. 300 watts per channel. The other options would be the Pass INT-250 or the Ayre integrated. All three are excellent and powerful.

I love my Vitus integrated. Granted it's not the same model mike mentioned, and I run it in class A mode usually, but even in 150 wpc class A/B mode it's Amazing!! I've never thought, or had anyone mentions sibilance or fatigue while listening.

Speakers - Magico S5mk2 Integrated - Vitus SIA-025 Analog - Vpi Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze Digital - Lumin A1
    Power - Shunyata Denali 6000S/Alpha HC/Alpha Digital Cables - Kimber KS-6063/Nordost Frey IC

Reviews on the Vitus are pretty excellent. I will have to think strongly about that one.

I am thinking about switching out from my McIntosh C2300 and MC601's to power my Sonus Faber Elipsa SE's. The Mac's have very nice sound, but soundstage depth and image specificity are lacking, as is fine detail. I have always liked integrateds due to simplicity, but only if they are not a compromise to separates.

I'll keep researching the Vitus...
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by bthomas9 View Post
    I love my Vitus integrated. Granted it's not the same model mike mentioned, and I run it in class A mode usually, but even in 150 wpc class A/B mode it's Amazing!! I've never thought, or had anyone mentions sibilance or fatigue while listening.

+ 1. I love my Vitus SIA-025. Liquid, smooth, warm Class A sound & has the control of a 200 watt amp driving my Magico S5's! I don't know how it would stack up against the Pass INT-250, but I can say it is a lot more tube-like and musical than the RI-100. Summing up I would say the SIA-025 is on the warm side in Class A, whilst the RI-100 is closer to neutral, with a touch of warmth & sounds a bit dark.

No exaggerated sibilance with my NuVista 800 at all, nor with the KW500 before it. Perhaps it's a matter of synergy with the other components, cables, and speakers. I find the 800 to be fantastic. I never tire of listening to it.
    Arsh

System:

VPI Scoutmaster, Soundsmith Paua, VPI SDS, Transparent Reference MM2 phono, Herron VTPH-2, Herron IC, Musical Fidelity TriVista DAC, MF A3.2 CDP, Transparent Ultra MM and Transparent digital cable, Musical Fidelity NuVista 800, Transparent Reference MM2 SC, Wilson Audio Sasha, Transparent Powerbank 8 and Transparent power cords, Terracones and Terrastone platforms, Atacama Equinox rack.

I own the Nu-Vista 600 and I think it is really a great performer. I replaced a SimAudio Moon 740p pre-amp and a PS Audio BHK 250 Amp..both of these are A+ rated components. I am very pleased with the Nu-Vista 600. It is gorgeous. Looks somewhat like the old Nakamichi equipment I used to own. The display is very readable. Coming in at nearly 70 lbs it is more Amp like than pre-amp for want of a better description. The Nu-Vista 600 feeds a pair of Magico S3s...a truly superb speaker. I am sorry that Mike has had what appears to be a less than positive experience with the Nu-Vista 800. I have had none, zero issues with my 600. My only grip is that the remote is a bit big a clunky and you cannot use it to turn the unit on or off. For $7000 I would expect more. I have a Esoteric K-05x SACD Player and the remote also can't turn the unit on or off. Again, what were the engineers thinking. Bottom-line, by all means keep the 800 or 600 on your shortlist.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Corgidog59, thank you so much for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team