Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Soulution Amp/Pre with a Tube Phono Stage??????

I realize some may consider this blasphemy, but I am curios if anyone has experience with a Tube Phono Pre in front of Soulution stuff.

Thinking about Lamm, Allnic, ARC and Doshi..................All comments welcome.

Re: Soulution Amp/Pre with a Tube Phono Stage??????

Sounds like a perfect idea to me! I think choosing the Soulution pre to go along with your Soulution amp was the right move too.

Acoustical Systems, AMG, Aqua Acoustic Quality, Audeze, Audio Desk, Audible illusions, Audioquest, Aurender, Bryston, CH Precision, Chord Electronics, Constellation Audio, Dynaudiol, Fyne Audio, Grado labs, Ikeda, JL Audio, Kondo, Kronos, Kubala Sosna, Lumin, Luxman, Lyra, Magico, Nordost, PS Audio, Roon, Shunyata, SME, Sugden, Tenor, Tannoy, Vertere, VPI and ZYX.

www.audiobymarkjones.ca

+1

Paul, similar thinking as you. Will likely go Allnic w my CH amp.

Allen

Audioshark

Sounds good. I will say a SS phono will have lower noise floor (generally), but you may prefer tubey goodness over that.

The Allnic seems to be a winner and well worth consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Thanks gentlemen.

Allen are you thinking 3000 or 5000??

Sorry, but can't be bothered to look, does the 721 not have a phono stage, Paul?

Hello Kev,

No the 721 does not have a phono. The 720 does. I have a pretty severe case of separate-itis and I am a big believer in separates, particularly for the phono section that starts with that itty, bitty little signal. If I go ss it will likely be the 750.

IMHO, an internal phono stage will most likely be less noisy than an external. Such is the case with the darTZeel pre-amp (18NS). Its internal phono stage is fantastic, and nothing I tried could beat it in the "noise floor" department.

alexandre

Heard a 710 run direct on the aestetix (sp?) top phono pre with built in volume control and it was outstanding. Honestly best I've ever heard but it could have been the 180k focals... I will say that this dealer had a soulution 540 running direct to the 710 as well and the analog system just obliterated it. I own a 540.

Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
    Thanks gentlemen.

Allen are you thinking 3000 or 5000??
    L3000. What are you thinking of, Paul?

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    IMHO, an internal phono stage will most likely be less noisy than an external. Such is the case with the darTZeel pre-amp (18NS). Its internal phono stage is fantastic, and nothing I tried could beat it in the "noise floor" department.

alexandre
    Really? I would've thought internal (Dartz or other) would be more noisy than separates.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hessec View Post
    Heard a 710 run direct on the aestetix (sp?) top phono pre with built in volume control and it was outstanding. Honestly best I've ever heard but it could have been the 180k focals... I will say that this dealer had a soulution 540 running direct to the 710 as well and the analog system just obliterated it. I own a 540.
    Very good comments. Thanks. Your 540 comparison is particularly helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    L3000. What are you thinking of, Paul?
    The 3000 too, but the Doshi also has my attention. Miles review of the Doshi is very compelling. The new Lamm LP2.1 is also on my list.

alexandre

Hmmmmm....I have heard many argue that a well executed integrated phono can approach the silence of a separate (a view with which I agree) but I have never heard the claim of an integrated being less noisy. As a theoretical matter that seems like a hard cat to skin given the presence of alternating current, transformers and stray fields that are inherent in an integrated that can be eliminated or minimized in a separate. That said, I am sure the 18NS is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    Really? I would've thought internal (Dartz or other) would be more noisy than separates.
    Hmmmmm....I have heard many argue that a well executed integrated phono can approach the silence of a separate (a view with which I agree) but I have never heard the claim of an integrated being less noisy. As a theoretical matter that seems like a hard cat to skin given the presence of alternating current, transformers and stray fields that are inherent in an integrated that can be eliminated or minimized in a separate. That said, I am sure the 18NS is wonderful.
    I'm just going from experience here, as I've had both the CTH-8550 integrated amp and the NHB-18NS preamp, and both were dead quiet in their phono stages.
    I think a lot of it has to do with the absence of ground loop/hum, since the phono stage is attached physically to the gain stage via a slot, not via some cable. And since, as the saying goes, the best cable is no cable...
    But then again, it's just speculation on my part!
    Unfortunately, when I had the Soulution preamp here for a listen, it didn't have the optional phono stage built-in, as I'm sure it'd be a great performer, like the line stage itself. I don't know if it's possible to fit the phono after the fact... If it is, that's a great option for current owners of the Soulution preamps!

alexandre

I'm just going from experience here, as I've had both the CTH-8550 integrated amp and the NHB-18NS preamp, and both were dead quiet in their phono stages.
    I think a lot of it has to do with the absence of ground loop/hum, since the phono stage is attached physically to the gain stage via a slot, not via some cable. And since, as the saying goes, the best cable is no cable...
    But then again, it's just speculation on my part!
    Unfortunately, when I had the Soulution preamp here for a listen, it didn't have the optional phono stage built-in, as I'm sure it'd be a great performer, like the line stage itself. I don't know if it's possible to fit the phono after the fact... If it is, that's a great option for current owners of the Soulution preamps!

alexandre
    I hear you Alexandre. I know the Dart stuff is awesome. Regarding retrofitting my pre with a phono, I specifically bought it without the phono after exchanging emails with Cyrill at Soulution. We both feel a separate is the least compromised approach per the reasoning of my previous post (but admittedly we are talking differences on the the very margin). Cyril's 725/720 with the phono integrated is indeed extremely quiet and an exceptional phono execution as is the Dart. Its just not the direction for me.

Paul, is your mind set on a tube phono stage, or are you open to SS ones as well?

Allen

You know I am sitting here thinking about that exact question. Part of me thinks I should do the 750 to see the best Soulution has to offer and then down the road mess with tubes.

Audioshark

You know I am sitting here thinking about that exact question. Part of me thinks I should do the 750 to see the best Soulution has to offer and then down the road mess with tubes.
    Wow! Supposed to be a killer Soulution combo at RMAF this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Do tell Mike....725 and 701s???? Maybe with the 750 also???

Audioshark

Do tell Mike....725 and 701s???? Maybe with the 750 also???
    Yes, yes and yes.

Wow, I bet it was something. Maybe the 750 is the answer for me. The JV review was sure good.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Soulution Amp/Pre with a Tube Phono Stage??????