Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lumin S1 Review

Re: Lumin S1 Review

Sleek construction!
    Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon HC < AQ WEL Signature XLR < Chord Qutest w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < SOtM tX-USBultra w 75Ohm Master Clock Input, Paul Hynes SR5-12 Turbo XL & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Aurender N-100H w AQ Dragon Source < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Solid Tech Hybrid < Ansuz Darkz D-TC, Darkz D2, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer & Gold SE < Furutech FT-SWS < Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Has anyone compared the T1 to the S1 or A1 ?
    I have the T1 and for me its really really great.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by FDPDK View Post
    Has anyone compared the T1 to the S1 or A1 ?
    I have the T1 and for me its really really great.
    Yes. If you enjoy the T1, the A1 is very very similar. The S1 is a different beast. Some prefer it to the A1, some don't. I still like the original A1 best. The S1 is better in bass control and linear performance. The A1 sounds more analog to me.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Mike
    Thank you so much for that, i did also read your review in this thread and it was very informative.
    One always wonder how much better is something else
    But i think that i should aim for loudspeakers before anything else....but that is a whole other story.

Flemming

Audioshark

Mike
    Thank you so much for that, i did also read your review in this thread and it was very informative.
    One always wonder how much better is something else
    But i think that i should aim for loudspeakers before anything else....but that is a whole other story.

Flemming
    Living in Denmark, and named Flemming, you have to buy Gryphon speakers! It's meant to be.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Mike he he your right about that.
    I actually haven't heard those speakers and would be interesting as well as other Gryphon gear.

I am more interested in Wilson Audio speakers like the Sabrina which would fit in my room very well, and when i have saved enough i think i also will be able to get them 2nd. hand i hope and then maybe even Sasha2 although they are probably only wishfull thinking.
    But i think i owe it to My Accuphase E-470 to get a better power distributor than i have right now ( only a cheaply one from like wallmart ) i am thinking about the Gigawatt.

Flemming

Audioshark

Lumin S1 Review

Mike he he your right about that.
    I actually haven't heard those speakers and would be interesting as well as other Gryphon gear.

I am more interested in Wilson Audio speakers like the Sabrina which would fit in my room very well, and when i have saved enough i think i also will be able to get them 2nd. hand i hope and then maybe even Sasha2 although they are probably only wishfull thinking.
    But i think i owe it to My Accuphase E-470 to get a better power distributor than i have right now ( only a cheaply one from like wallmart ) i am thinking about the Gigawatt.

Flemming
    Based on what I heard, those Mojo S's from Gryphon will work in a small room and are superb performers.

You also have Raidho in Denmark. C1.2's or D1.1's work great in a small room.

Thanks for that suggestion Mike, i hope i will be able to give them a listen at some point, i have also thought of going to Munich next year to hear a lot of different gear.

Has anyone compared the XLR outputs to the RCAs?

Audioshark

I have. No big difference. The XLR is quieter on efficient speakers like my Avantgarde's,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy G View Post
    Has anyone compared the XLR outputs to the RCAs?
    XLR is recommended.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

I just received my “new to me” Lumin S1! Speechless! Sweet sounds...goosebumps!
    MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp, SST Son of Ampzilla II Amp, PS Audio Directstream DAC w/Bridge II, PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, ELAC 3070 Sub, Roon Nucleus w/8TB SSD storage

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - HiFi Rose RS250, KEF LS50W Nocturne Speakers

Super Moderator

Congratulations!!! It's a great piece. Always up to date and sounds awesome.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Good for you

/ Marcus
    PERFECT SENSE
    www.perfect-sense.se

Showroom in Stockholm, Sweden | info@perfect-sense.se | 08 518 368 00 | Follow us on Facebook

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
    I just received my “new to me” Lumin S1! Speechless! Sweet sounds...goosebumps!
    Congrats!

Today, as an experiment, I linked together my Lumin S1 and PS Audio Directstream DAC w/ Bridge II as a Roon Group zone so I could stream the same song from both units simultaneously to my integrated amp. I connected the Directstream DAC to RCA inputs and the Lumin S1 to the XLR inputs on the integrated (only one pair of XLR inputs), and then I switched the amp between both inputs to evaluate each player. I did have to increase the gain on the integrated for the Directstream so the volumes were equal.

Guess which one sounded fuller, more detailed, had a bigger soundstage, and gave the overall best experience. The Lumin S1!

I will keep the Directstream DAC because I like the sound paired with the Directstream Memory Player.

Another test will evaluating the DAC built in to the integrated (Mark Levinson No. 585) and run it head to head with the Directstream DAC using the memory player as the source (as soon as it returns from PS Audio for warranty repair) connected to the 585 via XLR, and then i’ll connect the memory player to the 585 via USB. I would guess the Directstream DAC would sound better as it has an I2S connection from the Memory Player.

At the end of the day I’m very pleased with the S1. It is the best audio purchase this humble audio enthusiast has ever made!

Bottom line, the Lumin S1/L1 combo is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
    MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp, SST Son of Ampzilla II Amp, PS Audio Directstream DAC w/Bridge II, PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, ELAC 3070 Sub, Roon Nucleus w/8TB SSD storage

At the end of the day I’m very pleased with the S1. It is the best audio purchase this humble audio enthusiast has ever made!

I have to agree. I have had zero desire to get something else vs the S1. However, I am waiting for the next gen so I can buy it, and move my S1 into the HT/stereo system.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

You may still prefer the Lumin over the Bridge II, but just for experiments sake I would try using RCA's on the Lumin and XLR's on the DS/Bridge and see if you hear a difference. I found with my DS/Bridge II and Lumin the XLR ouputs were always the preferred choice soundwise and not just due to the gain difference.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Audioshark

Today, as an experiment, I linked together my Lumin S1 and PS Audio Directstream DAC w/ Bridge II as a Roon Group zone so I could stream the same song from both units simultaneously to my integrated amp. I connected the Directstream DAC to RCA inputs and the Lumin S1 to the XLR inputs on the integrated (only one pair of XLR inputs), and then I switched the amp between both inputs to evaluate each player. I did have to increase the gain on the integrated for the Directstream so the volumes were equal.

Guess which one sounded fuller, more detailed, had a bigger soundstage, and gave the overall best experience. The Lumin S1!

I will keep the Directstream DAC because I like the sound paired with the Directstream Memory Player.

Another test will evaluating the DAC built in to the integrated (Mark Levinson No. 585) and run it head to head with the Directstream DAC using the memory player as the source (as soon as it returns from PS Audio for warranty repair) connected to the 585 via XLR, and then i’ll connect the memory player to the 585 via USB. I would guess the Directstream DAC would sound better as it has an I2S connection from the Memory Player.

Awesome to hear and no surprise.

Hello
    When is the next gen of S1 coming ?
    Cheers

I’ve had my S-1 for about 3 years. To this day, remain very happy with the sound, looks, ease of use and support from LUMIN (Peter and the LUMIN team continue to do a great job upgrading the software - e.g. MQA support!).

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Do you power off your S1 overnight or just setup and use the sleep function? Is there an advantage of powering off vs. sleep?

I left it on 24/7 and now I leave my U1 on all the time.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Do you power off your S1 overnight or just setup and use the sleep function? Is there an advantage of powering off vs. sleep?
    The only time I turn mine off is when I remove the USB drive to add files to it. Since the Lumin uses an OS, and OSes, along with apps, can have memory leaks, it is a good idea to periodically power cycle just to have a fresh install.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Lumin S1 Review