Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Stillpoints and System Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by nile49 View Post
    Does anyone here have any feedback or heard any feedback about using the the new spikes with Ultra SSs under speakers? In comparison to using regular Stillpoints with hardhats on carpet?
    Good question.

Here's something I discovered re: Stillpoints, that I found very curious, and others probably would as well. When I got my Stillpoints, I already had protective brass discs to put under them so as not to mar the furniture. As a whim, I auditioned these (whoever the manufacturer was who made them) with the Stillpoint versisons. Mind you they looked the same...same size, heft, dimple on them....yet....the Stillpoint version sounded appreciably better than the faux discs. ...interesting...

Just got them !!!!
    Ultra 6
    OMG

Sent from my iPhone
    Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints
    Kuzma / Focal / Resonessence Labs / ARIA / KRELL / Pro-Ject...

Sent from my iPhone
    Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints
    Kuzma / Focal / Resonessence Labs / ARIA / KRELL / Pro-Ject...

Looks impressive
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Banned

Put Stillpoint Ultra SS under my Evolution Acoustics MM3 speakers - 600lbs each!
    System never sounded better!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stringreen View Post
    Here's something I discovered re: Stillpoints, that I found very curious, and others probably would as well. When I got my Stillpoints, I already had protective brass discs to put under them so as not to mar the furniture. As a whim, I auditioned these (whoever the manufacturer was who made them) with the Stillpoint versisons. Mind you they looked the same...same size, heft, dimple on them....yet....the Stillpoint version sounded appreciably better than the faux discs. ...interesting...
    I would attribute this to the materials difference, brass .vs. stainless steel. We listened to a lot of different materials and kept coming back to the stainless for its tonal neutrality and speed. Other materials imparted different signatures, usually perceived as slower and less transparent. The same applies to our acrylic shelf .vs. the Grid shelf on our ESS racks. The acrylic sounds slower and laid back in a not-good way.

John
    John Tverdik

Anyone using Stillpoints under a Lumin? If so, which model? SS or Mini?

Was there an improvement? (Not that the Lumin needs much improvement )If so, in what way?

Thx!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    Anyone using Stillpoints under a Lumin? If so, which model? SS or Mini?

Was there an improvement? (Not that the Lumin needs much improvement )If so, in what way?

Thx!
    Hi Ritmo, Loop4fun has them under his Lumin I believe. It was the first place he tried them and was pretty much sold. I think he started with Mini's but am not sure he upgraded to the Ultra SS' although I know he recently orderednd received a new set of SS. I'm sure he'll chime in about his experiences. Olskool
    ARC Ref 210 Mono's, ARC Ref 5SE, ARC Ref Phono2, NordostTyr1interconnects, NAD M5 CD/SACD, Linn LP12, Ekos 1, Booplinth, Lyra Delos cart, Kore, HRS1 Isolation table, Pioneer RT-707 Reel, Wilson Sophia, Nordost Tyr speaker cables, Kubala Sosna Emotion Interconnects / Power Cable, QB4 conditioner, StillPoint SS Isolation, StillPoint Aperatures, Nordost Power cables, ASC Tube Traps

Hi Larry! Great to hear from you. Hope to read Bill's experience soon. Take care!

Mike

Mike

Northern California Coast & San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo;122473[B
    ]Anyone using Stillpoints under a Lumin? If so, which model? SS or Mini?

Was there an improvement?[/B] (Not that the Lumin needs much improvement )If so, in what way?

Thx!
    In a word, YES

Ultra SS under the A-1, Mini's under the PS & NAS. The torque provided by the Shunyata Sigma Digital PC to the PS necessitated the addition of extra weight (brick) to stabilize. This technique is often effective with light weight components and Stillpoints.

The improvement is in all the categories others have well articulated elsewhere about Stillpoints, and Shunyata Sigma Digital PC's too.
    Tom
    Ultimate Audio
    SoundLab Dealer

Country System:
    SoundLab Ultimate-1PX Electrostatic Speakers
    Pass Labs XP-32 pre, Pass Labs XA60.8 Amps
    Pass Lab XP-27 phono stage
    SME 20/2 table with SME V arm, Stillpoints LPI
    Minus-K BM-8 passive vibration control under tt
    Dynavector XV-1s, Koeitsu Rosewood Signature cartridges, Klaudio RCM
    Roon Nucleus+ powered by Keces P-8 LPS
    Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    3 dedicated AC lines
    Shunyata Omega PC to Everest for all source devices
    Typhon for each amp powered by 2 dedicated circuits
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout.
    Stillpoints under everything.

City System:
    Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp
    Pass Labs X-260.8 Monoblocks
    Esoteric K-03 SACD Player
    Roon Nucleus+powered by UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS
    Sound Lab Ultimate-545PX Speakers
    Shunyata Hydra 8, Typhon QR
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout
    Stillpoints under everything. Multiple room acoustic panels.

Thx Tom!

Mike

Are vibration dampeners recommended under the NAS? I'm using Lumin's L1. I have it located off the rack, so it's vibrations can't resonate with any other components.
    But is there a reason related to sound quality to dissipate the vibrations in the NAS itself? Thanks.
    Source: Taiko Audio Server, Cisco 2960 Switch, Gigafoil, Lampizator Pacific Dac. Amp: Bakoon 13r Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Mezzo XD, Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, Duelund Speaker, Shunyata Sigma IC's Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Room Treatment Vicoustic.

I just, this afternoon, started trying out the Stillpoint ultra minis under the Lumin. My first impression is that, while there is an increase in resolution, there also seems some loss of depth which makes the overall sound more thin. Not good. Maybe it's not a compliment to my system which uses Amphion studio monitors, which already give a very resolved, transparent sound. And maybe it would be a different story once I have the integrated bass extenders Amphion will release later this Summer.

I'll listen more before I have to return. Maybe I'll try the ss ultras to see what they bring.
    Source: Taiko Audio Server, Cisco 2960 Switch, Gigafoil, Lampizator Pacific Dac. Amp: Bakoon 13r Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Mezzo XD, Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, Duelund Speaker, Shunyata Sigma IC's Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Room Treatment Vicoustic.

Northern California Coast & San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by Willco View Post
    I just, this afternoon, started trying out the Stillpoint ultra minis under the Lumin. My first impression is that, while there is an increase in resolution, there also seems some loss of depth which makes the overall sound more thin. Not good. Maybe it's not a compliment to my system which uses Amphion studio monitors, which already give a very resolved, transparent sound. And maybe it would be a different story once I have the integrated bass extenders Amphion will release later this Summer.

I'll listen more before I have to return. Maybe I'll try the ss ultras to see what they bring.
    You should try them under the PSU. I have the A-1 istself on Ultra's, and the PSU on Mini's, with a brick on top for extra weight. I couldn't be more pleased with the results, although I have yet to try the Ultra 5's here.
    Tom
    Ultimate Audio
    SoundLab Dealer

Country System:
    SoundLab Ultimate-1PX Electrostatic Speakers
    Pass Labs XP-32 pre, Pass Labs XA60.8 Amps
    Pass Lab XP-27 phono stage
    SME 20/2 table with SME V arm, Stillpoints LPI
    Minus-K BM-8 passive vibration control under tt
    Dynavector XV-1s, Koeitsu Rosewood Signature cartridges, Klaudio RCM
    Roon Nucleus+ powered by Keces P-8 LPS
    3 dedicated AC lines
    Shunyata Omega PC to Everest for all source devices
    Typhon for each amp powered by 2 dedicated circuits
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout.
    Stillpoints under everything.

City System:
    Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp
    Pass Labs X-260.8 Monoblocks
    Esoteric K-03 SACD Player
    Roon Nucleus+powered by UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS
    Sound Lab Ultimate-545PX Speakers
    Shunyata Hydra 8, Typhon QR
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout
    Stillpoints under everything. Multiple room acoustic panels.

After a lot more back and forth testing of Stillpoints, I've concluded they're not worth it to me. The sound difference, with ss Ultra's on Lumin S1 and mini's on PSU, is minor and I think I prefer the sound without them anyway. I sense a little more resolution with the points, but a subtle loss of "presence" and fullness. And the difference is subtle enough that, on a blind test, I guessed wrong 50% of the time!

I wonder if the Lumin with it's heavy aluminum block casing is relatively imperious to vibration to begin with?

I'm going to try some Symposium Svelt platforms on the Lumin, it's psu and the monitors. I am curious to see how isolation might effect these speakers. I'm betting they will sound better without as they are already on the bright and high resolving side.

I think treating the room for reflections will end up being the most productive "tweak."

Audioshark

Wilco, looking forward to your findings. What's your floor type? Concrete? Wood? Subfloor wood?
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Wilco, looking forward to your findings. What's your floor type? Concrete? Wood? Subfloor wood?

My floor is concrete.

And this is not to say its bad with points. With some music that's lower frequency dominant, it's somewhat better. Just not $3k better.

After a lot more back and forth testing of Stillpoints, I've concluded they're not worth it to me. The sound difference, with ss Ultra's on Lumin S1 and mini's on PSU, is minor and I think I prefer the sound without them anyway. I sense a little more resolution with the points, but a subtle loss of "presence" and fullness. And the difference is subtle enough that, on a blind test, I guessed wrong 50% of the time!

I wonder if the Lumin with it's heavy aluminum block casing is relatively imperious to vibration to begin with?

I'm going to try some Symposium Svelt platforms on the Lumin, it's psu and the monitors. I am curious to see how isolation might effect these speakers. I'm betting they will sound better without as they are already on the bright and high resolving side.

I think treating the room for reflections will end up being the most productive "tweak."
    Trust your ears.

After a lot more back and forth testing of Stillpoints, I've concluded they're not worth it to me. The sound difference, with ss Ultra's on Lumin S1 and mini's on PSU, is minor and I think I prefer the sound without them anyway. I sense a little more resolution with the points, but a subtle loss of "presence" and fullness. And the difference is subtle enough that, on a blind test, I guessed wrong 50% of the time.

Did you try them in both directions? If not try reversing them, also make sure the beveled bottom section is slightly unscrewed so there is a small gap between them (about the thickness of a business card)

CHEERS
    INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: OWNER/PRESIDENT OF
    QUINTESSENCE ACOUSTICS
    www.quintessenceacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by MRJAZZ View Post
    Did you try them in both directions? If not try reversing them, also make sure the beveled bottom section is slightly unscrewed so there is a small gap between them (about the thickness of a business card)

CHEERS

Turned them over-- I think I'll keep them there. With more back and forth, I think I like the more transparent sound with the isolation.
    When I get the bass extender for my monitors, I suspect the system with isolation will be more ideally balanced.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Stillpoints and System Foundation