VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Re: Accuphase A-70

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Mutual respect has nothing to do with the fact that "anything goes" when it comes to Chinese attitude towards copyright, dealership rights and intellectual property.

I certainly have no respect for the blatant IP theft that goes on in your country, the dumping of counterfeit products onto the rest of the world and diminishing real value of genuine quality built product brands. There are certain brands that I can't buy anymore because the rife Chinese counterfeiting has totally F####ed brand integrity. You country has a lot to answer for. The western world gave your country the power to manufacture, remember that.

I certainly don't agree with what you are advocating. i.e. Grey importing of Accuphase product that is not manufacturer rated and approved for use in a particular country irrespective of how easy it is to modify the goods, jumper or otherwise. Such product automatically becomes worthless except for the original market for which it was intended. And then, you would be hard pressed to get proper resale back from the Japs.
    "Japs" ? Careful Steve, lets keep things civil here please , no need to confirm that Stereotypes actually have a basis in fact. And for the record , comments like "the Western world gave your country" are just so stupendously condescending . If there is a country that has prostituted itself more to the Chinese economic engine than Australia and has benefitted more from that paradigm shift ....I'd like to know who that is. "Lucky Country" indeed.

Better Lucky than Smart as investment managers like to say

The Oxford English abbreviation of the word Japanese to Jap is not offensive in our part of the world. In Japan the word is popularly known, used and referenced frequently on the Internet.

Given the extent of Australia's multicultural way of life, I don't think anything of it. Perhaps it is referred to as a slur in North America....

Prostituting? Are you having a go at Australia's export potential.... What has that got to do with the price of fish?

Speakeasy

Just a suggestion Steve,take the morning off and listen to some great music.

Esoteric K-05,Oppo BDP 95, Cocktail Audio X50
    Accuphase C-2420,Mark levinson 532h,NuPrime IDA8, Line Magnetic 210IA(300B) & AS-125(211)
    Sonus Faber Guarneri Evo, Raidho X-1,ELAC 310ib, Elac 203.2,Acoustic Energy AE1 Classic, Spendor 3/5 SE
    Nordost Tyr2&Red dawn xlr,Analysis Plus Big Silver, Cardas Clear Power x 2,NBS Blk Label2,Voodoo Fire Dragon,Furutech Flux50x2 etc.

I'm already there Rob.

Speakeasy

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Let's keep it friendly, please.
    Mark, I believe,as a new comer and possibly the only Chinese here,I have been nothing but friendly polite and restrained.However,I do respect u as the moderator and shall go no further.

Accuphase C-2420,Mark levinson 532h,NuPrime IDA8, Line Magnetic 210IA(300B) & AS-125(211)
    Sonus Faber Guarneri Evo, Raidho X-1,ELAC 310ib, Elac 203.2,Acoustic Energy AE1 Classic, Spendor 3/5 SE
    Nordost Tyr2&Red dawn xlr,Analysis Plus Big Silver, Cardas Clear Power x 2,NBS Blk Label2,Voodoo Fire Dragon,Furutech Flux50x2 etc.

Audioshark

Accuphase A-70

I agree with Mark. Please keep it friendly guys.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

And what about the Accuphase 70 with Ktemas, hmmmm?

The beautiful Franko Serblin Ktema loudspeakers were married to an Accuphase rig at CES2013. So definitively there is Accuphase driving Ktemas in the world. I could only imagine how wonderful the new A-70s driving them would be.

image.jpg

Here in Paris too. Class-A all the way..

http://youtu.be/TP42UiukFro

Speakeasy

Accuphase A-70

Awesome, thanks. May be my new setup if my wife does not kill me first. Lived in Italy and bought the Ktemas. Now moving to Japan to possibly by the Acuphase. I treat it like I am buying a souvenir. Thanks for the pics and the video Steve. Just to break your balls, my wife is Japanese and she hates being called "Jap"

If you're moving to Japan for a time, then you can't go wrong choosing Accuphase. Given the specs of the Ktema, the A-70 are certain to be a phenomenal match.

As for racial abbreviation, Aussie's are known for it as a gesture of friendliness. There is never anything derogatory implied. It is sometimes misunderstood.

We are one of the most multicultural and diverse societies on this planet.

Speakeasy

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    The only difference between the 100/120/240V Accuphase models are the voltage labels on the box and the unit.

Internally, it is the very same product. All you have to do, is move one wire inside. Some companies make it easier, by putting a voltage switch inside (which does the same thing, but without using any tools), but that is often considered 'to easy' by distributors.

anyway, if you have a tech manual you can do it yourself (you need to know which wire to move). If not, you can give it to any competent tech to do it for you.

I have somwhere the Accuphase 800/801 tech manual in PDF, if anyone needs it. I believe all Accuphase gear are identical, down to wire color code used.
    Possibly. I was thinking it might be different from the amps to preamps, but I could be wrong.

Having said that, where do you buy? Do you go to Japan and buy it? Or do you buy from a middle man like PriceJapan or Audio Cubes? Or is there any other way?

Dave, i do not know anyone who bought from the middle man, although i can imagine there out there. Personally, i am going to attempt to purchase while living in Japan. Warranty most likely will not be warranted in areas other than the country of origin. With that said, since i am in the military living on an American Base they may grant it. I purchased Sim Audio gear while living in Italy and Moon granted the warranty, although i purchased directly from Canada via an Italian distributor. I guess ill find out when i get there.

Cool Re: Accuphase A-70

Quote Originally Posted by Harris4crna View Post
    Dave, i do not know anyone who bought from the middle man, although i can imagine there out there. Personally, i am going to attempt to purchase while living in Japan. Warranty most likely will not be warranted in areas other than the country of origin. With that said, since i am in the military living on an American Base they may grant it. I purchased Sim Audio gear while living in Italy and Moon granted the warranty, although i purchased directly from Canada via an Italian distributor. I guess ill find out when i get there.
    I understand Harris4crna. My questions were aimed at Elberoth, who has yet to answer. Good luck on your Accuphase purchase.

Well I got the chance to go to Audio Union yesterday. On display was the A-70 and the 3850 powering a pair of B&W 802. The sound was mesmerizing. I requested a price and for the A-70 I could get for $10,000 and the older 3500 for $15000. I asked if they would be able to change voltage to 120v in three years when I leave. I will find out the answer tomorrow. I have the Simaudio Moon 860a and 740p. Probably will not be able to sale here since the voltage is 120v. May try to sale it in the states, but will need to find a willing buyer that will take a shipment from Japan. Do you think the price points for the Accuphase components are good and would you make the plunge if they agree to the voltage regulation?

Excuse me, the preamp was the 3800

The A-70 is an incredible amp at a fantastic price - except in the USA. But used prices are extreme ly inline with the rest of the world and they are built like a tank and unless run over by a bigger tank will last FOREVER!!!!!!
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

I was actually mistaken. The 3850 and the A-70 will be delivered this week. Price was 1,000,000 yen for A-70 and the 3850 for 1,600,000 yen. Since I live here the warranty will be honored and the voltage changed to 110v upon leaving back to America for about $200.00 per component. Not bad I must say. Looking forward to getting it. Anyone want my Simaudio 860a along with the 740p?

Great deal I would say. So they actually do change voltage for you? I mean,is it done by the official Accuphase dealer or even better, taken back to the Accuphase factory?
    Maybe I will get a converted amp too.......

Anyone hear of needing to pay to register your Accuphase items for 5 year warranty? This is new to me.

Accuphase A-70

Accuphase factory. Guess you need to purchase the warranty and live in the country more than year. Have no idea if this is in writing. Here is the caveat, warranty is voided as soon as you leave country. Warranty is only good in the country you purchase the item in. For me, no big deal since I'll be living here for awhile. Just wish I had a bigger house to enjoy the system.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Accuphase is built for a lifetime, enjoy it!!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

a70 is an awesome amp! pricey but worth every penny .

I really did not find the A-70 to expensive. For what you get, the price is good. How much is it where you are located?

They vary from country to country , Japan being the cheapest, but in USA its about $26,000 or so....

Wow, I paid around $10,000 or 100,000,000 yen in Japan.

My mistake, $8000.00. I had no idea it was that much cheaper here in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Harris4crna View Post
    My mistake, $8000.00. I had no idea it was that much cheaper here in Japan.
    Wow, what a price difference between Japan and USA. That's a lot of amp for $8,000!

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Oh yeah, ie. I could afford to purchase the A-70, along with the C-3850 and the DC-37 for the price of One U.S. A-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Wow, what a price difference between Japan and USA. That's a lot of amp for $8,000!

Ken
    The US pricing of Accuphase is a complete rip off (putting it mildly). This is relative to their pricing in Japan. The products are absolutely wonderful (I own an Accuphase E-450 integrated, which I enjoy listening to on a regular basis)

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker first time poster on this great forum.

I was hoping to get some advice re: the A70's suitability for my speakers (TAD CE-1). I'm looking at making the move to separates from my beloved Accuphase E460 integrated. Given my familiarity and admiration of the brand I've decided to stick with Accuphase when looking at pre/power options.

I've decided on an Accuphase C2820 preamp and am now looking at which power-amp to invest in. As much as I'd like a pair of A200 mono-blocks I'm afraid I can't quite stretch the budget that far. As such I'm looking at Accuphase's stereo amplifier offerings, namely the Accuphase P7300 or A70, specs below:

P7300
    Stereo operation 800 watts per channel into 1 ohm
    (both channels driven) 500 watts per channel into 2 ohms
    250 watts per channel into 4 ohms
    125 watts per channel into 8 ohms
    Damping Factor 1,000

A70
    Stereo operation 480 watts per channel into 1 ohm
    (both channels driven) 240 watts per channel into 2 ohms
    120 watts per channel into 4 ohms
    60 watts per channel into 8 ohms
    Damping Factor 800

My preference is to go with the A70 as I've always wanted to try an Accuphase class A amplifier however I'm worried that my speakers would be a poor match and that at moderate to above average listening levels I'll drive the amp to clip. The specs of my speakers are as follows:

TAD CE-1
    3 Way Bass Reflex
    Frequency response: 34Hz to 100kHz
    Crossover frequencies: 250Hz, 2kHz
    Maximum input: 200W
    Sensitivity: 85dB (2.83V, 1m)
    Nominal impedance: 4?

We're knocking down and rebuilding a new home this year, which means I'll get my first dedicated listening room ever. Unfortunately the room is relatively small i.e. 3.0M x 3.5M. I was hoping a combination of a small room plus the legendarily underrated Accuphase power specifications would mean going with an A70 run as a stereo amp would be enough. However I'm worried that the CE-1's will drive the A70 to clipping territory.

Cheers,
    GS

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum GS, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum GS, from Australia (?), thank you for joining.

Looks to me like you are looking at double the power at 4 ohms with the P7300 vs the A70. Do you like to play your music loud? I think the TADs may be low efficiency but fairly easy to drive. I know for myself that the A70 would be enough, but I have to recommend the P7300, in your case, mainly because you are having some doubts and the P7300 will give a little more headroom.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Hi Joe - Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I'm from Australia

Thanks for taking the time to reply. For the life of me I can't seem to find an impendence curve for the CE-1 however I've found one for the CR-1, specifically the Stereophile review linked HERE from which I've extracted the quote below:

The CR1 is specified as being a 4 ohm load, but the speaker's impedance remains above 7.5 ohms throughout the upper midrange and treble, dropping to 4 ohms only between 40 and 225Hz (fig.1). Though there are some swings in the value of the electrical phase angle, the extreme values occur, as usual, when the magnitude is high, mitigating the effect of the increased current demand. There is one exception, at 34Hz, where there is a value of 5 ohms and –48° capacitive phase angle, which will put strain on an amplifier with limited current delivery.

I listen to my music relatively loudly on occasion, however I hope that the opportunity to listen relatively loudly presents itself more often given I will be moving into my own room/listening space. I've been assured by my dealer that the A70's high dampening factor (800) means that the A70 should be able to handle the CE-1's with ease. I'm just concerned at spending that much on an amplifier only for it to fall short. For the price of two A70's I could get a pair of A200's. Unfortunately a stereo A70 is at the limits of my budget. It appears the risk averse option is to get a P7300 all though I'd hate to play it safe here and miss out on the chance to own the A70.

Super Moderator

I'm sure that the A70 is probably ballsy enough, but I totally understand. I have an A36 and absolutely love it, but my speakers are more efficient. I've had TAD CR-1's and they actually were pretty easy to drive leading me to think the A70 would be enough. If pricing of Accuphase in the USA was "normal", I'd own a full system based on what I'm hearing from my little A36. It definitely feels more powerful and basslier than it has a right to. I've been using it for the past few weeks on my JBLs and love that little thing.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

A-70 on 4ohm speakers in that size of room should be fine. Personally, if I owned those speakers, I would give Ayre or Vitus a listen. Good luck with your search and thank you for joining! We have lots of Aussies here.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I'm sure that the A70 is probably ballsy enough, but I totally understand. I have an A36 and absolutely love it, but my speakers are more efficient. I've had TAD CR-1's and they actually were pretty easy to drive leading me to think the A70 would be enough. If pricing of Accuphase in the USA was "normal", I'd own a full system based on what I'm hearing from my little A36. It definitely feels more powerful and basslier than it has a right to. I've been using it for the past few weeks on my JBLs and love that little thing.
    Well, some success! Who says mindlessly scrolling through google image searches is a waste of time!

The link below takes you to a page which shows what looks like a Japanese Audiophile Club gathering to listen to a TAD & Accuphase system. It looks like there are representatives from both Accuphase & TAD on hand to present their products. As it happens the components they are using are the same ones I'll have in situ! This has given me a lot of confidence and dispelled much of the doubts I have i.e. neither company would be prepared to compromise their respective products by partnering with the other, as such I'd imagine there'd be some level of synergy. Unfortunate Google's translate function has left me clutching at a few straws when reading the "english translation". I'll try see if I can reach out to my network and get it translated. The room also looks much bigger than the room my components will be located in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    A-70 on 4ohm speakers in that size of room should be fine. Personally, if I owned those speakers, I would give Ayre or Vitus a listen. Good luck with your search and thank you for joining! We have lots of Aussies here.
    Thankyou Mike! Funny you should mentioned Ayre. When I was looking at moving on from my Accuphase integrated it came down to a choice between the C2820 & A70 system vs an Ayre KX-R & MX-R (not twenty series). In the end my existing bias won out and I chose Accuphase however i'm confident I would have been very happy with the Ayre system had I gone down that path.

Hi Galactic
    My room is only slightly larger than yours(3x4.2 meters).
    The A-35 can drive SF guanerri evo very well, but less so with Raidho X1, which works better with the 300w ML 532H.
    So, maybe a70 is already too much for your small room?
    Why not consider a-47? Unless you are planning to move to a larger room soon.

I suggest to use this calculator to see what watt is needed for a given level with given distance and speakers. Remember to add 12-20 dB for headroom and musical peaks.!’ I find a listening level of 84 and+20 =104 dB suitable in my 4x5m room . I use Accuphase A-36 ( 30 watt class A 60 watt AB) with 95db speakers that is just sufficient for me since I do not listen at concert or party levels..I bought my A-36 from a guy that felt it was too weak for his Sonus Fabers with 90dB/2.83volt he bought a A-45 and plan for 2 A45s
    http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-efficiency.htm
    By this A-70 seem a bit low at 60 a/131 Abb watt

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.

NAD C 658 streamer.

A70 is a much better amp than both A36 and A47. It is not only about power.

BTW - I know a local guy who is selling A200 monos in the correct voltage (240V). I may check them out for you if you want. Those amps run hot though, so I would be concerned about heat issue in such a small room.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Accuphase A-70

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    A70 is a much better amp than both A36 and A47. It is not only about power.

BTW - I know a local guy who is selling A200 monos in the correct voltage (240V). I may check them out for you if you want. Those amps run hot though, so I would be concerned about heat issue in such a small room.
    Hello Adam,

What about the difference between the A70 and the previous A65 ?
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

The A65 is a bit warmer sounding. The A70 is more transparent.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Anybody got a service manual for the A-70?

What do you need the manual for?

Quote Originally Posted by dznutz View Post
    What do you need the manual for?
    Change mains voltage.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Accuphase A-70