Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Happier News!

Happier News!

In January, I posted about the loss of a beloved cat. Well, now I have better news: we adopted two 8-week kittens (siblings) from our local shelter. Meet Lucy and Ethel:

(The shelter had not removed Lucy's tag yet. They named her Daredevil even though the first 2 letters look like "Lu"! It must have meant something else.)
    B&W803D3; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Sennheiser HD800S and AudezeLCD-XC headphones

Re: Happier News!

Hi Lucy and Ethel Congrats. So adorable.
    Paul

Thank you. Now, we have the rather difficult task of slowly introducing them to our 9-year old, extremely territorial current cat! She knows they are in the bathroom and has hissed a bit when she walks by and hears them playing, but so far she hasn't gone as ballistic as we feared. She hissed a bit when we let her smell their bed. The next step is to see one another behind a glass door, then wrap them in a towel so they don't swat at her and show them to her, and finally put them in a room together. We just hope she will finally accept them. Maybe since they are so small her maternal instincts will kick at. If not, then maybe she'll just ignore them and they'll amuse each other. Time will tell.
    B&W803D3; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Sennheiser HD800S and AudezeLCD-XC headphones

Quote Originally Posted by Bachtoven View Post
    In January, I posted about the loss of a beloved cat. Well, now I have better news: we adopted two 8-week kittens (siblings) from our local shelter. Meet Lucy and Ethel:

(The shelter had not removed Lucy's tag yet. They named her Daredevil even though the first 2 letters look like "Lu"! It must have meant something else.)
    Kittens are always adorable! And destructive.
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
    Kittens are always adorable! And destructive.
    Yes, they stripped a 2/3 full roll of toilet paper in a matter of minutes!

Audioshark

Cute!
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Very cute! My two new cats did the same trick with the toilet paper roll (several times). They also shredded a couple of bills. Kittens are fun!
    Main 2ch/HT:Acoustat 2+2,Axiom EP500,Ray Lumley M-100, Bedini BA-803,Threshold T3,JRDG Consumate Phono, Lenco L75, ZYX Universe cart,Oppo BDP 95(transport), Calyx Femto DAC,Bryston BDP-2,Pioneer F-91 tuner,Studer A807 r2r,Consonance d-Linear15 power filter, DVDO Matrix 4x4,Mitsubishi HC-5 projector, Audience Au24e and LectraLine Xe cables,Cullen Power Distribution Box with upgraded cable
    Bedroom 2ch/HT:Tetra 406, Forte model2pre,Forte model3amp,TeacUD503,Faroudja DV1000,PioneerCLD-97 ld player,Thorens TD-146,PioneerTX-9800,Mitsubishi HC5 projector,Tetra Artet cables

caged.jpgThose cats are incredibly cute. I recently got two new kitties, much to the chagrin of my resident cats. May I give you a few suggestions that were given to me by the shelter, who actually stopped by?

If, just as you are doing, the new cats should spend a few days in a “safe room”” separate from the resident. At this time, it is a good idea to wipe the new kitties with a towel or take their blanket and just put in on the floor in a spot the resident cat will see it. It is also good to take some of the toys the newbies have and also leave that out. The resident cast will smell it, even hiss at it (mine did)

I did not do the towel wrapping. Instead, as my picture show, I got a “fence” at Walmart (it cost ten bucks) and opened the door to the safe room after a few days. I stood by to make sure nothing happened, and in my case nothing did. I kept the door open for a couple of hours. The next day I kept the door open for about five or six hours and nothing happened. The very next day I locked up my resident cat for about an hour and a half. At this time I let the newbies out and let them get the lay of the land. This was important because they were not bothered or threatened by the resident cat.
    cagerd outside.jpg
    This also meant that my resident cat would now come back to her places and have the new smell. At this time she was already getting used to the new cats. I think I duplicated this a second day.

Finally, I opened up the door and saw that there was no reaction from the resident cat to the newbies and I removed the fence. I kept my water gun handy in case there was any outbreak but was none. I was open to how much time they would spend together but they spent the whole day together.

I do not know if your cat sleeps with you now, but if she does, and even if she doesn’t, it is good to lock up the newbies in their safe room for the first few nights after they have been set free. The resident cat will be very possessive about where they sleep and where they eat.

If you are giving the cats wet food you might find it best to feed the cats five or 6 feet apart in the beginning and slowly bring the food together.

DSC_0252.JPG
    Barry
    Controller: Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo 105; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: RevelVoice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV Receiver: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc Player

Thanks. We have taken those steps, and held them out to her for a sniff (much hissing and growling ensued), and we recently put up a gate, but the little ones can crawl up and over, so we had to put a large sheet of cardboard at the top to prevent escape. The local pet shop said they can order one with vertical bars so they can't crawl out of it. Our resident cat still hisses and growls at them at times, but others she just takes her seat and watches them! It will be another week or so before we feel comfortable to let them be in the same room.

No, our cat does not sleep with us--we shut her out of the bedroom at night.

Your cats are very cute, too.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Happier News!