KEF...On A Roll!! - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: KEF...On A Roll!!

I am strongly considering the Reference 5 as my new speakers. The Black/Copper finish is stunning..........Hmmmmm........
    Main System:Mcintosh MC601's Amplifer,Mcintosh C1000/C1000T Preamp,Kef Ref 5 Speakers,Mcintosh MCD1100 CDP,Mcintosh MT 5 TT, Olive 04HD, Acoustic Zen Absolute Shotgun Cables,4 ELECTRA™ 7 Power Cords&2 Pairs of
    ECLIPSE 7 (EBI) XLR's, Consonance D-Linear 15 Ultra Reference Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, SolidTech "Rack of Silence"Reference 4 Audio Stand.

Post Thanks / Like

KEF seem to be doing fantastic... certainly coming out with fantastic speakers!
    Electronics: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, DAC-2v2SE, Recovery, Remedy | Audio Research VT50 |First Watt F6 | Woo Audio WA6 | McIntosh MR85
    Speakers/Headphones: MC RL21 | Gingko Stands | REL TZero | KEF Kube | Sennheiser HD800S | KEF M500
    Sources: Falcon Tiki (Roon Headless Server) | Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (Roon Controller) | Marantz SA8005 | Magnum Dynalab ST-2
    Cables: Richard Gray | Wireworld | Audioquest | Tributaries | Kimber Kable | Wyred 4 Sound
    Power: Furman Elite 15i | iFi iPower | PS Audio Noise Harvesters x2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by volks View Post
    I am strongly considering the Reference 5 as my new speakers. The Black/Copper finish is stunning..........Hmmmmm........
    Awesome... and yes a great color combo....

Attached Images Attached Images
    Electronics: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, DAC-2v2SE, Recovery, Remedy | Audio Research VT50 |First Watt F6 | Woo Audio WA6 | McIntosh MR85
    Speakers/Headphones: MC RL21 | Gingko Stands | REL TZero | KEF Kube | Sennheiser HD800S | KEF M500
    Sources: Falcon Tiki (Roon Headless Server) | Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (Roon Controller) | Marantz SA8005 | Magnum Dynalab ST-2
    Cables: Richard Gray | Wireworld | Audioquest | Tributaries | Kimber Kable | Wyred 4 Sound

Post Thanks / Like

I really want to get a pair of References at some point! Probably leaning towards the Ref 1's for both size and budget. Believe it or not I have a preference towards stand mounted speakers... less boxy sounding usually, although those Ref 3's that I heard in Wyred 4 Sound's listening room were pretty amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

The black/copper KEF combo driven by D'Agostino would look killer!!
    Everest Audio
    www.everestaudio.com
    Facebook
    Twitter

bel canto, T+A, Hegel, Roksan, Melco, ATC Loudspeakers, Alta Audio, Focus Audio, REL Acoustics, GutWire, Furutech, ADL by Furutech, Bluesound and more

Post Thanks / Like

Randy

You might want to look closely at the test measurements on the Ref 1's before you go down that road. You don't have an amp in your stable that would drive them reasonably and the one you traded would have been close. So you would be looking at another hefty investment in a high current amp plus the cost of the speakers.

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index....1-loudspeakers

Talk to CD/Chris as he had a pair and sold them after trying multiple amps.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Marantz HD-CD1, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery, Aqua La Voce S2, Musical Paradise MP-D2, Modwright LS-100 with tube phono board, PS Audio BHK 250, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F12SE, PC's -Neotech & Triode Wire Lab, IC's & SC's- Audio Sensibility Testament, (2) Blue Circle PLC FX-2's with BC-62 PC's

Family Room - Oppo 83SE, Auralic Aries Mini w/LPS, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Oppo Sonica, Nord One Up SI, Spatial M3 Turbo S, (2) ACI Force XL's, Cables- Wireworld & Cullen Cable, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm... I know the efficiency of KEF is always on the low side.... the Ref 1's are 85 and in reviews I read the MC's are also rated 85 (I have never been able to confirm this officially only what I read in reviews). The one difference is the MC are 4 ohm (listed right on the back )...

It does depend on what fits your tastes and listening habits of course, and expectations. I have always preferred inefficient speakers and know what to expect from them ... This is not something that will happen any time soon anyway... just thinking down the road.... I would try to borrow EJ's 3's to try out before making this type of purchase anyway ....

But I do believe you are right about my amp match ups. The ARC may be able to get them running but the first watt probably not.

I think the F6 will work good with the MC because it is one of the few First Watt amps that gives much more power with a 4 ohm speaker... but the KEF being 8 ohm this will be negated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I really want to get a pair of References at some point! Probably leaning towards the Ref 1's for both size and budget. Believe it or not I have a preference towards stand mounted speakers... less boxy sounding usually, although those Ref 3's that I heard in Wyred 4 Sound's listening room were pretty amazing!
    Randy, you WANT to try the Active /Wireless version. Trust me on that!
    NORMAN
    M-Mini/ i7PC/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG Dac> Rowen Swiss Power NAD c375BEE /vintage McIntosh 2225/Lampi Silk power cond.+ Phase flipper> Energy 8" sub> Heil AMT KITHARA bi-wire. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. Unpowered USB cable, Uptone Regen. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Randy, you WANT to try the Active /Wireless version. Trust me on that!
    Agreed! Love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: AAvik Electronics, Aurender, Ansuz Cables, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, Crystal Cable, Dali Loudspeakers, Entreq, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, KEF, Kimber Kable, KLAudio, KR Audio, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Magico Loudspeakers, Manley Labs, Melco Audio, MicroMega, M2Tech, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PlayBack Designs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Raidho Loudspeakers, Rega Turntables, REL Acoustics, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Solid Tech Racks, Sonoma Acoustics, SOtM, SRA, Straight Wire, Stillpoints, T+A, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Trenner & Friedl, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Vandersteen Speakers, Vicoustics, Vitus Audio, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WyWyres Cables, ZYX Cartridges.

www.suncoastaudio.com
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

I assume you are referring to the LS50 wireless. I really liked the LS50's when I owned them. They were great little speakers. The MC are a completely different league of course. I just do not currently have a need for a second set of speakers and at this point in time I would not consider using a wireless speaker in my main 2-channel system.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast