Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

Review: Conrad-Johnson MF2550SE ...

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Review: Conrad-Johnson MF2550SE ...

I've considered this piece (not sure I'd go for the Teflon, in the SE...but the 2550 in general).

I'm a big fan of C-J; tried 3 of their pre-amps (ET-2, Premier 18, and ET-3), 2 of their power-amps (MF-2250A and 2500A)...and the really outstanding, CA-200 "Control" amp.

Ultimately, they weren't quite my cup of tea; but I would never call them, anything less then fantastic. Like a really good movie...and you can appreciate how good it is; even though it's not exactly your thing.

I gotta tell ya; it's not like, they did a whole lot...in the style department...as far as updating the look, of the 2550/SE. I'd be hard-pressed, to drop the $4k/6k; when I could buy a MF-2500A in good shape...and send it to C-J for a re-cap.

The thing, was a big, heavy...muscular beast; probably just one notch, below the venerable Premier 350.

Stereophile, logged its numbers...as such:

...the MF2500 reached 309W into 8 ohms, one channel driven, and 295Wpc, both channels driven. It wasn't shy at 4 ohms, and the shared power supply was man enough for 451Wpc into 4 ohms. Playing music-related (IHF toneburst) signals, the MF2500 pushed 24.9dBW into 8 ohms (315W) and 24.77dBW into 4 ohms (600W), but began to current-limit a little into 2 ohm loads with 23.9dBW (976W) available.

Oh man; did I just talked myself, into trying it again...for a 3rd time Maybe the only other, better dollar-to-power unit (excluding class-D, of course)...is its cousin, the McCormack DNA-225/250.

I had the 225 once; what a MONSTER! Here are John's number, on it...

...maximum power raised was 262W into 8 ohms (24.2dBW), 430W into 4 ohms (23.3dBW), and 795W into 2 ohms (23dBW, only one channel driven). With a low-duty-cycle 1kHz toneburst, which generates results that more closely resemble what happens when the amplifier is amplifying music, the DNA-225 was revealed as a powerhouse. No less than 303W were raised into 8 ohms, with 575W available into 4 ohms, 1018W into 2 ohms, and 1532W into 1 ohm.
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

CJ 350 is one of all time best amps I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpod4 View Post
    CJ 350 is one of all time best amps I have heard.
    +1
    Turntables: Acoustic Signature Invictus Jr. NEO, Grand Prix Monaco V3.0
    Tonearms: Acoustic Signature TA-9000 NEO, Kuzma Safir
    Cartridges: Miyabi Fuuga, Ortofon Century, Murashino Sumile Mono
    Phono Amplifiers: CH Precision P1, Channel D Lino 3.3
    Digital: CH Precision C1.2/D1.5/T1, Innuos Statement Nextgen, Luxman D-10X (Loan)
    Amplifiers: CH Precision L10/M10, Parasound JC1+, Gryphon Diablo 333 (Incoming)
    Speakers : Magnepan 30.7x, Wilson Audio XVX Chronosonic/Subsonics
    Cables: CAD Ground Controls/USB, Cardas Beyond Clear, Gobel Lacorde Statement
    Accessories: Artesania Exoteryc Racks & Damping Plates, Seismion Reactio, Degritter RC, RPG Acoustic Treatments/PSI AVAA, Torus Power/Plixir Elite BAC

The Premier 350 hardly ever shows up on Agon
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

I thought about selling mine for a few weeks then I woke up out of my drunken stupor and decided to keep it. Too good to part with. I think I will bring it home and compare it to my constellation and air tight and see how it stacks up b

Quote Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
    I've considered this piece (not sure I'd go for the Teflon, in the SE...but the 2550 in general).
    Only took 15 months, lol; but I just picked up an 2550SE
    CD

Super Moderator

Yes!!!! Congratulations.

Can't wait for your thoughts.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Yes!!!! Congratulations.

Can't wait for your thoughts.
    It's here; but I probably won't hook it up, until tomorrow sometime.

Since I packed up the Classe combo (CP-700/CA-2200); I've taken the opportunity, to listen to my "crappy", old PrimaLuna ONE IA

and "crappy" Luxman L-550AX...

Both of which, sound great...in their own right. I guess it's true what they say; speakers, speakers, speakers...and the Twenty 26s are the shizz (and apparently, can be driven...by just about anything, lol).
    CD

Super Moderator

I am sure it sounds wonderful Chris.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Oh, WTHell; there's just this big, empty space anyway

CD

Super Moderator

NAD C 658 streamer.

Someone asked...for a pic of my 26s; and I figured I'd kill 2 birds, with one stone.

Like I told Jax, about the 2550SE: It may not be cool, and hip; or have any pizzazz. But damn does it sound good!

CD

Super Moderator

Someone asked...for a pic of my 26s; and I figured I'd kill 2 birds, with one stone.

Like I told Jax, about the 2550SE: It may not be cool, and hip; or have any pizzazz. But damn does it sound good!
    I have never heard the current CJ solid state amps but I can totally agree. CJ gear sounds damn good! Thank you Chris for the update. Now you got me thinking.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Beautiful set-up Chris

Those 26's look especially nice.
    McIntosh - PMC - Aurender - Kimber Kable - WW - Core Audio Designs

Now all I need...is a box-full, of good 6922s
    CD

Chris

Does it only take one 6DJ8 family tube? Also will it run the 7DJ8's without issue? If so check Uncle Kevin's website for the Phillips and Matsushita 7DJ8's. Both really good tubes in the $30 range. Phillips more of a R&R tube and the Matsushita more of a Jazz tube. Also check Tubmaze on E-bay and see what he has. He tests them and listens to them too.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Chris

Does it only take one 6DJ8 family tube? Also will it run the 7DJ8's without issue? If so check Uncle Kevin's website for the Phillips and Matsushita 7DJ8's. Both really good tubes in the $30 range. Phillips more of a R&R tube and the Matsushita more of a Jazz tube. Also check Tubmaze on E-bay and see what he has. He tests them and listens to them too.
    You guys tell me? Will C-J units, typically take a 7DJ8 in place of a 6?

What are the advantages and disadvantages, of the 7-volt versions...vs. 6?
    CD

Super Moderator

Less stress and longer lasting. CJ tends to be tough on tubes.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Chris

I don't know about CJ preamps as I have never owned one, but I have run the 7DJ8's in preamps from Kora, Music Reference, and Sonic Frontier with no problem and MDP is running them in a Manley phono stage. Main advantage now is price difference. You can just call Kevin and ask if nobody has tried it. I would suspect that someone on A'gon or Audio Asylum has tried it if nobody here has.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Joe

They run them pretty hard to get those high gain figures. I ran the same quad of Siemens tubes in a Kora preamp for 7 years and then ran them in the SF for over a year with no problem because they were run differently. I could probably still get several more years without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Less stress and longer lasting. CJ tends to be tough on tubes.
    Joe...you're saying of 7s I assume? So they've been fine in your C-J kit; and last longer?

What's not to like...unless I have it backwards.
    CD

Super Moderator

I know, I wish the gain was not so high but I've been very lucky with my GAT and ET-5 previously.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Joe...you're saying of 7s I assume? So they've been fine in your C-J kit; and last longer?

What's not to like...unless I have it backwards.
    I have not used the 7's but know of friends who have and love them. I have some tubes from uncle Kevin, 6H23 TYPE 3's but have not yet put them in. I love Gold Lions in the GAT as well as some of the Gold Pin EH tubes.

NAD C 658 streamer.

The 6H23EB's are great tubes, but sadly the stock is starting to dry up and the prices are climbing for Pre and Phono quality tubes. They are what are recommended for AI preamps that eat tubes at a very high rate as they are running them even hotter and get even higher gain than CJ. Chris, Parts Connexion had some Reflektor 6H23's on sale so check with Chris Johnson. Chances are he will also know the answer to what tubes the CJ will work with. Again if you only need singles you can sample in the NOS market for much cheaper than normal.

I'm waiting to hear back from Upscale; but if they give the on 7DJ8s

I'm thinking about picking these 2 up, to start

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/telefunken-pcc88-7dj8/

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/tungsram-pcc88-7dj8/

I have a Gold Lion now; had the Tungsram 6-volt, with my Calypso and liked it...but let it go with the unit.
    CD

Chris

The Telefunken looks good but instead of the Tungsram which will sound similar I might try the Phillips or the Matsushita for a different flavor. The Matsushita sounds more like a classic Mullard as is not surprising as they set up the Japanese factory. Different parts of the European sound if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Chris

The Telefunken looks good but instead of the Tungsram which will sound similar I might try the Phillips or the Matsushita for a different flavor. The Matsushita sounds more like a classic Mullard as is not surprising as they set up the Japanese factory. Different parts of the European sound if you will.
    Thanks Jack; good advice. I don't want to start off...with 2 of the "same" thing.

You really seem to like...that Matsushita/National? Well...the price is certainly right
    CD

Chris

The other two are just more Western European sounding as opposed to the Tele/Tungsram/Siemens sound. It or the Phillips are both good tubes just depends on you primary music preferences.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team