Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EMT tsd15

Re: EMT tsd15

KenSea - I just thought you should be aware that the Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua is voiced quite differently than their other cartridges like the XV-1S. The TKR has a very fast and revealing sound but is more laid back and delicate in its presentation than their other designs. They have a different design team involved with the TKR cartridge.

Thanks for the tip, have you had both? What table and arm?

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    KenSea - I just thought you should be aware that the Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua is voiced quite differently than their other cartridges like the XV-1S. The TKR has a very fast and revealing sound but is more laid back and delicate in its presentation than their other designs. They have a different design team involved with the TKR cartridge.

No I have not owned them, but have heard them several times on familiar systems of my friends. Some sonic qualities of the TKR are described very well in this brief excerpt from its Hi-Fi Choice review: "I developed a very healthy respect for this delightfully smooth and transparent cartridge, but it took a day or three to fall in love with it. There's very little to criticise about the sound per se, save some lack of vividness and power. It's very delicate, with a wide dynamic range, but it is also rather laid back in presentation. This is a real smoothie. The price is high, but it's well worth checking out if you're looking for laid-back transparency, and value the low level of needle-talk."

Hello folks,

A few months ago I replaced my EMT XSD15 (The TSD15 with the SME mount ) with a Lyra Delos because of an overwhelming bass with the EMT on my big Harbeths.
    I sinced worked on the isolation and position of the Harbeths and have a superb bass now so I decided to try the EMT again.

This is a very special cart indeed.
    I would say that it is halfway between the vintage sound of the SPU's and the modern highly resolved sound of today.
    You will find clearly higher resolution carts than this one, including in the modern EMT series.
    But the level of details provided by the TSD 15 is more than enough for me.
    It is a very very musical unit. Perfectly matched to the tone of my Shindo system. In the sense that it draws you more and more into the music and not into a "sound listener". The Auditorium 23 Hommage SUT made for it by Keith Aschenbrenner is just a piece of art and extracts the very best of the EMT.
    There are way better carts in the absolute Hifi terms. Clearly. My Lyra Delos is just one of them.

But carts who connect my ears TIGHTLY with the music like the TSD15 ? Not so many imho.

The TSD15 is the oldest cart that EMT never ceased the production and I can understand why very easily.

Many thanks to Mr. Jonathan Halpern for rediscovering its superb musical qualities and for asking Mr. Aschenbrenner to design a SUT for it.

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
    Hello folks,

A few months ago I replaced my EMT XSD15 (The TSD15 with the SME mount ) with a Lyra Delos because of an overwhelming bass with the EMT on my big Harbeths.
    I sinced worked on the isolation and position of the Harbeths and have a superb bass now so I decided to try the EMT again.

This is a very special cart indeed.
    I would say that it is halfway between the vintage sound of the SPU's and the modern highly resolved sound of today.
    You will find clearly higher resolution carts than this one, including in the modern EMT series.
    But the level of details provided by the TSD 15 is more than enough for me.
    It is a very very musical unit. Perfectly matched to the tone of my Shindo system. In the sense that it draws you more and more into the music and not into a "sound listener". The Auditorium 23 Hommage SUT made for it by Keith Aschenbrenner is just a piece of art and extracts the very best of the EMT.
    There are way better carts in the absolute Hifi terms. Clearly. My Lyra Delos is just one of them.

But carts who connect my ears TIGHTLY with the music like the TSD15 ? Not so many imho.

The TSD15 is the oldest cart that EMT never ceased the production and I can understand why very easily.

Many thanks to Mr. Jonathan Halpern for rediscovering its superb musical qualities and for asking Mr. Aschenbrenner to design a SUT for it.

I told you not to sell you old one! They are fantastic carts!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Chris

Garrard 301, SME 2012r, EMT TSD15, A23 T2 Hommage SUT, Shindo Montille, Shindo Aurieges, Shindo ICs and Auditorium Speaker Cables, Auditorium A23 Hommage 755a Speakers.

Indeed Good to see the venerable EMT cart getting the Kudos and exposure it deserves. The design has been with us for a fair length of time.

The Carts have always been well known amongst serious audiophiles WW--now the US is joining the Club--kudos at it's price it delivers in spades!

Enjoy yours J

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Cucumber_jones View Post
    I told you not to sell you old one! They are fantastic carts!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You were right Chris !
    I am happy I have the XSD version. More difficult to sell !

Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

A little ways back in this thread, but would love to hear from the member who bought the JSD-6. They were going to chime back in, with a comparison to the TSD-15. Cheers -Don

Below are photos of my EMT JSD S75. I hope other EMT fans enjoy. The cartridge with only 7 hours on it sounds great, but is not broken in yet.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Perry

Garrard 301 TT in Woodsong Plinth
    Ortofon 309D Tonearm
    Shindo Cartridge
    EMT Cartridge

SME Model 10A Turntable
    Benz Micro LP-S mr Cartridge
    Aesthetix Rhea Signature Tube phono preamp
    Aesthetix Calypso Tube preamp
    Aesthetix Atlas Amplifier
    Proac Response D-40r Speaker
    Linn Genki CD Player
    Nordost Cable

WOW! This cartridge is so beatiful... I would buy it in the short to improve the sound quality of my analog set up.. @Jperry can you describe the sound characteristics, and what differentiates from the younger sister TSD 15?

fclombardo, You have a very nice system and analog setup.

I listened to both the TSD-15 SFL and the TSD 15 with the conical stylus. I think the differences in sound are that it has most the quality of being quiet in the groove like the conical stylus, but has all of the detail without any harshness like the SFL, and provides great detail. My understanding is that the stylus is a new proprietary shape that was just developed by EMT. It sounds great even though it is not completely broken in yet. I prefer it so far to any other cartridge I have had in my system.
    Jim Perry

Ortofon 309D Tonearm
    Shindo Cartridge
    EMT Cartridge

SME Model 10A Turntable
    Linn Genki CD Player
    Nordost Cable

thanks for the appreciation and for the information given.

I know very well the TSD 15 SFL because I own it since few years.
    I was talking about the JSD S75, I would buy it very soon to replace the TSD 15 SFL.

I would like to ask you what are the differences between JSD S75 and TSD 15 SFL.

Thanks again and I apologize if I have not explained well.

Francesco

I reread my comments above and they were not very clear so let me restate my comments for you more clearly.

I listened to both the TSD-15 SFL and the TSD 15 SPH (spherical stylus) in my system. When comparing the SFL and the SPH, the SPH was very quiet in the groove, but did not have the detail of the SFL. I preferred the SFL to the SPH, but liked the quietness of the SPH. I think the JSD S75 has the same quality of being very quiet in the groove, like the TSD 15 SPH, but has more detail than the TSD 15 SFL, without any harshness. My understanding is that the stylus on the JSD S75 is a new proprietary shape that was just developed by EMT. It sounds great even though it is not completely broken in yet. I prefer it so far to any other cartridge I have had in my system.

I also listened to the JSD S75 on two other systems I am familiar with. One is an all Shindo system, including turntable and speakers. The other system has Shindo electronics with a Garrard 301, EMT tonearm, and Devore O 96 speakers. The JSD S75 sounded great on both systems and both of the owners have ordered a JSD S75.

I hope these comments add some clarity for you.

Best Regards,

Jim Perry
    Jim Perry

Ortofon 309D Tonearm
    Shindo Cartridge
    EMT Cartridge

SME Model 10A Turntable
    Linn Genki CD Player
    Nordost Cable

Quote Originally Posted by jperry View Post
    I reread my comments above and they were not very clear so let me restate my comments for you more clearly.

I listened to both the TSD-15 SFL and the TSD 15 SPH (spherical stylus) in my system. When comparing the SFL and the SPH, the SPH was very quiet in the groove, but did not have the detail of the SFL. I preferred the SFL to the SPH, but liked the quietness of the SPH. I think the JSD S75 has the same quality of being very quiet in the groove, like the TSD 15 SPH, but has more detail than the TSD 15 SFL, without any harshness. My understanding is that the stylus on the JSD S75 is a new proprietary shape that was just developed by EMT. It sounds great even though it is not completely broken in yet. I prefer it so far to any other cartridge I have had in my system.

I also listened to the JSD S75 on two other systems I am familiar with. One is an all Shindo system, including turntable and speakers. The other system has Shindo electronics with a Garrard 301, EMT tonearm, and Devore O 96 speakers. The JSD S75 sounded great on both systems and both of the owners have ordered a JSD S75.

I hope these comments add some clarity for you.

Best Regards,

Jim Perry
    Thanks again, now I have perfectly understood.
    It was just as I imagined, a cartridge with the same characteristics of the house, simply improved on each parameter.
    Now I know that the next step I have to do will be order the s75

Grazie mille

Francesco,

Let me know what you think when you get your EMT S75. Thanks.

Jim Perry

Jim, probably we are telepathic
    I was going to write here that I just ordered the s75!!!
    I'll receive the EMT in ten days
    Yuhuuu

Extraordinary
    Mental
    Telepathy

Great to hear from another fan.

ahahah .. So fun
    I can't wait anymore.. I hope in a pleasure suprise...like receiving the product earlier

Finally yesterday I received the cartridge ..
    What to say, is clearly an EMT! Simply, if we consider all the spectrum of the range, compared to his younger sister, TSD 15 SFL, improvements concerning all aspects.
    In my system the thing that emerges is a medium-high brighter, son of transparency and overall cleanliness that distinguishes the s75.
    In addition to this I can also report a greater control in the low range and the depth of midrange is incredible!! The middle is the parameter where the s75 gives the best...
    I will post some photos..

I am very satisfied!

ops.. I must to update my signature

Francesco,

Great to hear your thoughts on your new EMT JSD S75. I don't think mine is fully broken in yet, but we will see. My experience was that there were some improvements in the 25 hour range. Not sure how to describe it, but the flow was better and it sounds more relaxed and organic. I also thought the JSD S75 was more quiet in the groove the the TSD 15 SFL, was that your experience? I am glad you are enjoying it as much as I am.
    Jim Perry

Ortofon 309D Tonearm
    Shindo Cartridge
    EMT Cartridge

SME Model 10A Turntable
    Linn Genki CD Player
    Nordost Cable

Even I think it's a quieter cartridge than TSD 15 SFL. Exactly what do you think has improved after hours of break-in?
    I'm using it since 10 hours but I still can not hear a difference from the first LP I listened.. I can imagine that the improvements will be, as you said, a more fluidity..

I think that it is a less "rocker" than the TSD 15 SFL. In my system there wasn't an improvement in organic terms: the sound texture was already excellent with the TSD: perhaps the better term is "dense" for the TSD 15 SFL and more complex/detailed for the JSD. While remaining within a very similar sound texture..

What has greatly improved in my system is the soundstage, transparency and cleanliness of high range ..

The best solution would be a second arm to read the discs less "gentle and refined" with the TSD 15 SFL

Dear Jim,
    After several hours of running, the s75 is acquiring greater weight even in the low range.
    Unlike the first hours of use where instead was slighter lower...

As I imagined it is a really complete cartridge with a perfect tonal balance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

EMT tsd15