Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

speaker building

so i been looking for upgraded horn drivers for speakers to get a better midrange horn. and the parts ive found are really nice . so i always thought speakers were more technical about angles of drivers and such, but looking at both my pairs here and all speaker i ever see they all just have flush mounted drivers. and i do alot of woodwork and have all the tools. and looking at these cornwalls i know i can do a better cabinet than these. so im thinking about trying to make my own. i will probably buy the cornscala kit in the near future and build them for myself. but im looking to build from scratch and not use someone elses kit. i have the ability and tools to veneer, paint or powder coat the cabinets
    1 problem, i know nothing about how crossovers work.
    2 problem is i need more info on deadening the sound and bounce inside the boxes.
    3 problem is im not sure what drivers are better than others.
    although i been liking these jbl horn drivers but they are pricey.
    dont want to buy them until im sure they are good.

can any of you help me out with links to learn about these subjects. i will build a horn loaded speaker by the end of the winter this year, and im thinking big 3 way monitors. with cool matching stands but i need more info, do i think i will hit it out of the park on my first shot? no chance but i love to do stuff like this and a few different trials until i came up with the right setup wouldnt be out of the question.
    thanks for any help.
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Re: speaker building

Steve,

Some DIY Audiophile websites:

DIY AUDIO PROJECTS - Do-It-Yourself Hi-Fi for Audiophiles
    diyAudio
    DIY Loudspeakers
    Zaph|Audio
    Wayne's Speaker Building Page

DIY Speaker Kits (I know you didn't want to start here but these places also sell parts):
    Speaker Kits in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 286
    Madisound, Global Distributor of Audiophile Speaker Drivers and Loudspeaker Parts Since 1972

Hope this helps and gets you started. I looked into this out of curiosity a long time ago and decided I did not have the time, patience or electrical/woodworking know-how to do this so it was a bust before ever trying for me

Good luck and look forward to see if you go down this path, how it all comes out and what you learned.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Steve...looks like Madisound has a crossover design service where they can help you design the crossover for you to match your chosen drivers, cabinet style and overall design goals. Could be a good place to start, even if just to call them and ask them for resources to learn about this stuff. Seems like they should be able to point you in the right direction given that their whole raison d'etre is to sell speaker parts and kits.
    Cyril
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

thanks cyril!!!! i will read those tonight after work and see what i can learn. after building a couple equipment racks and a bunch of furniture, and reading about isolation and resonance control and things of that nature and making a few for me to test out. i have a new design in mind. actually same design as my last one just better looking and better more resonance free shelves. i will build a few this fall. just for fun and to see if anyone else likes them. but speakers are always on my mind and i love the work. and my job allows me loads of time in the late fall, winter and early spring. im just imagining how good these cornwalls would be with the right tweeter and mid driver and a thick rock solid cabinet . and i dont want to dig into them and start messing with them at all cause i really like them. maybe im nuts but i think i can do better.lmao!!! and if i dont sell my sonus fabers to get a new allnic integrated ,having two totally different speakers here is a great reference point.
    thanks again
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    Steve...looks like Madisound has a crossover design service where they can help you design the crossover for you to match your chosen drivers, cabinet style and overall design goals. Could be a good place to start, even if just to call them and ask them for resources to learn about this stuff. Seems like they should be able to point you in the right direction given that their whole raison d'etre is to sell speaker parts and kits.
    cyril, thanks again i found a few good books to order through those links. i figure thats the best way to learn.
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Steve...glad the links were somewhat helpful. Good luck with this adventure.
    Cyril

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

speaker building