Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Arrow I was @ a high-end video store earlier today ...

... And I was checking the top-of-the-line Samsung (F9000 Series) 65" 3D LCD LED (Edge Lit) ULTRA HDTV (true 4K). WoW!!!
    She's a real beauty, in & out! The 4K content was simply mind-blowing! ...So detailed that it was truly scary; beautiful woman face with skin to die for, hair you can touch, lips you can feel on yours! I'm not kidding, the picture was something to behold.

This Ultra HD TV (UHD TV) is the one I want! But she's too small at only 65". I want a bigger one; at least 80" (I think they have an 85" in that Series too).
    {The 65" was $4,500 Cdn dollars.}

- And, I also looked at the Shark Quattron Plus (Q+) 3D HDTV+, the 80" model (five grands; Cdn), with all the pixels split in half to make them smaller, more of them (twice as much than a regular HD TV), and to show more details with 4K content. ...WoW, that one too made a big (larger) impact; 15" more accounts to a lot!

=> Sharp Quattron Plus TVs: Are They HD, Ultra HD, or Something Else Entirely?
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Audioshark

Re: I was @ a high-end video store earlier today ...

Very cool Bob. I definitely want to see this 4K technology in action.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Mike, it is truly awesome! ...Soon that we have more content (4K), I'll be totally content to dispose of some income (money).
    ...Even if I don't have any.

Tomorrow I'm going to another video store, an ultra-high-end one this time; to check a Samsung S9V Series (UHD 4K) in the 85 and 110" size. ...$55,000 Cdn (85" size) and about $90,000 Cdn (110" size). * The 85" model one is only roughly $40,000 USD.
    ...Not to buy one, but just to check what money can buy at its best right now.

* When you are contemplating a flat panel display (4K and active 3D) in the 110" size (Diag), forget it now about that front projector for a bigger picture.
    ...Unless, you want something cheap in that same size screen. ...Because those (front projectors) you can get for only five grands, or so. ...But I'm not sure that they are 4K though. I don't think so; 2K (HD) only. ...But 3D.
    {Even a good 4K front projector is only twenty-five grands, but you need a bat cave; not with a flat panel from above.}
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Did you see any of those curved screens?

Yes Matt but I wasn't interested so I spent less than one minute looking at it; the curve.

By the way, that curve (angle) is based on the same curve from those large screens in some of those large movie theaters.
    Did you know that?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Yes Matt but I wasn't interested so I spent less than one minute looking at it; the curve.

By the way, that curve (angle) is based on the same curve from those large screens in some of those large movie theaters.
    Did you know that?
    I figured they were basing the design off of something like that. It would be interesting to see how a salesperson would try and sell you one of those curved screens vs flat. I have yet to see a curved model in person or a 4k set. I'll put it on my list for the next time I visit the city.

... And I was checking the top-of-the-line Samsung (F9000 Series) 65" 3D LCD LED (Edge Lit) ULTRA HDTV (true 4K). WoW!!!
    She's a real beauty, in & out! The 4K content was simply mind-blowing! ...So detailed that it was truly scary; beautiful woman face with skin to die for, hair you can touch, lips you can feel on yours! I'm not kidding, the picture was something to behold.

This Ultra HD TV (UHD TV) is the one I want! But she's too small at only 65". I want a bigger one; at least 80" (I think they have an 85" in that Series too).
    {The 65" was $4,500 Cdn dollars.}

- And, I also looked at the Shark Quattron Plus 3D HDTV+, the 80" model (five grands; Cdn), with all the pixels split in half to make them smaller, more of them (twice as much than a regular HD TV), and to show more details with 4K content. ...WoW, that one too made a big (larger) impact; 15" more accounts to a lot!

=> Sharp Quattron Plus TVs: Are They HD, Ultra HD, or Something Else Entirely?
    But, there is no 4K content yet I thought? I've read in several places including the big studio that is re-doing some stuff into 4K that it is still at least 3 years out from being released. I know someone who bought some shares in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt715 View Post
    I figured they were basing the design off of something like that. It would be interesting to see how a salesperson would try and sell you one of those curved screens vs flat. I have yet to see a curved model in person or a 4k set. I'll put it on my list for the next time I visit the city.
    I don't know, Leo Laport bought a huge Samsung curve when they first came to market recently and loves it, so who knows? I've seen his, not in person of course, but that zany Leo did a video thing where he had Scott Wilkerson and a professional calibrator come to his house to dial it in and such and of course they were playing with it after.

I haven't checked out the new 4K sets yet but I still love my Mitsubishi HC5 1080p projector with my new 106" screen. With a Darbee Darblet and DVDO Iscan vp50pro the cost came in at around $4000. The picture also looks very detailed and natural, almost 3D for a 2D picture. It does do 3D as well but I haven't tried that yet (I haven't purchased the emitter and glasses). And with a motorized screen, it gets out of the way for 2 channel music.

The only downside is that I need to use blackout curtains during the day and the thermotex material really holds in the heat. If I use my tube amps it can get might toasty. I usually use a solid state amp for movies to keep down the heat.
    Main 2ch/HT:Acoustat 2+2,Axiom EP500,Ray Lumley M-100, Bedini BA-803,Threshold T3,JRDG Consumate Phono, Lenco L75, ZYX Universe cart,Oppo BDP 95(transport), Calyx Femto DAC,Bryston BDP-2,Pioneer F-91 tuner,Studer A807 r2r,Consonance d-Linear15 power filter, DVDO Matrix 4x4,Mitsubishi HC-5 projector, Audience Au24e and LectraLine Xe cables,Cullen Power Distribution Box with upgraded cable
    Bedroom 2ch/HT:Tetra 406, Forte model2pre,Forte model3amp,TeacUD503,Faroudja DV1000,PioneerCLD-97 ld player,Thorens TD-146,PioneerTX-9800,Mitsubishi HC5 projector,Tetra Artet cables

Quote Originally Posted by MusicDirector View Post
    But, there is no 4K content yet I thought? I've read in several places including the big studio that is re-doing some stuff into 4K that it is still at least 3 years out from being released. I know someone who bought some shares in it.
    Eric, they had a Samsung Blu-ray 4K demo disc. ...About half hour long.

* It was spectacularly good! ...Picture quality wise; beating easily HD (2K). ...And I know a thing or two about 2K on Blus.

By the way, those Blu-ray discs remastered @ 4K and 8K are nowhere near true 4K content.
    {Sony has true 4K content; movies on their UHD movie servers. And they are getting more and more and more, including documentaries ...}

4K is here; hardware and software. ...It's only a question of deciding to get it or not, now, and even yesterday.
    Plus you can make your own movies (videos) in 4K as well. ...Still pictures too. ...3D? That too, if you really want to.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by Matt715 View Post
    The salesperson (Zak) was very knowledgeable. The first UltraHD TV that he showed me wasn't a curved model one.
    ...It was the Samsung F9000 Series (dead flat).
    {But before he showed it to me we chatted first, for about ten minutes; talking Curved, 4K, 3D, Size, and all that jazz;
    then he knew from where I was coming from.}

Regarding them curved models, he said: "That's the new big thing." ...In reference to the market (masses),
    and not to the smart awareness of the true intelligent connoisseurs (like me).

* I know some simple salespersons who made over $300,000 in one single year. ...Not many though, only very few top guns. ...They work on commissions, of course, and even from online (much much much more nowadays compared to only ten years ago).
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    I haven't checked out the new 4K sets yet but I still love my Mitsubishi HC5 1080p projector with my new 106" screen. With a Darbee Darblet and DVDO Iscan vp50pro the cost came in at around $4000. The picture also looks very detailed and natural, almost 3D for a 2D picture. It does do 3D as well but I haven't tried that yet (I haven't purchased the emitter and glasses). And with a motorized screen, it gets out of the way for 2 channel music.

The only downside is that I need to use blackout curtains during the day and the thermotex material really holds in the heat. If I use my tube amps it can get might toasty. I usually use a solid state amp for movies to keep down the heat.
    Albert, I have the sad and true announcement to tell you that you are missing on both 4K and 3D fronts. ...In my very affirmative and humble opinion.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Eric, they had a Samsung Blu-ray 4K demo disc. ...About half hour long.

* It was spectacularly good! ...Picture quality wise; beating easily HD (2K). ...And I know a thing or two about 2K on Blus.

By the way, those Blu-ray discs remastered @ 4K and 8K are nowhere near true 4K.
    Oh, ok a demo disc, well there ya go. What do you think the demo disc is , if it's not a remaster then? They have not invented a 4K camera yet as far as I know, I could be wrong on that. Actual content that can be purchased or what not is still a ways out, but coming apparently. So one can get ready now.
    Personally, I could care less about 4K, 2K, 8K, Blue Ray discs, etc. None of it looks good to me with my eyes. All I see are blurs and digital artifacts, etc. I can't stand Blue ray discs, everything looks like a cartoon. HD TV isn't too bad.
    TV is not my thing. All I use my TV for is a monitor to play DVDs and use the Roku. The stuff I watch is not available on BR and certainly won't make it to 4K.

It was so good that you'd swear that it was shot in 64K! ...True 64K! ...No Eric, nothing remastered here, just truly mastered.

Of course, ultra high-definition pictures are not for everyone, same as ultra high-end audio gear with ultra high-resolution sound (music) material (Reel-to-Reel tapes, 200gr LPs meticulously cut, high-res audio files; 352kHz/32-bit, DSD Xtra, multichannel hi-res audio for both music and movie mediums, XRCD, etc., etc., etc.).
    ...Both in physical form and audio Download files.

Only very few people are true audio/video explorers of le tres haut niveau du plus haut-de-gamme (high caliber).

* I and you, are not. ...We're simply no ultra people, just 'tra'. ...Like tra-la-la.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Okay, I guess I'll have to check them out. But for HD and BluRay, I am happy for now. I guess down the road I'll probably upgrade to a 4K projector.

I still have my 1080i rear projection tv but I will probably toss it this summer (picture starting to go).
    Main 2ch/HT:Acoustat 2+2,Axiom EP500,Ray Lumley M-100, Bedini BA-803,Threshold T3,JRDG Consumate Phono, Lenco L75, ZYX Universe cart,Oppo BDP 95(transport), Calyx Femto DAC,Bryston BDP-2,Pioneer F-91 tuner,Studer A807 r2r,Consonance d-Linear15 power filter, DVDO Matrix 4x4,Mitsubishi HC-5 projector, Audience Au24e and LectraLine Xe cables,Cullen Power Distribution Box with upgraded cable
    Bedroom 2ch/HT:Tetra 406, Forte model2pre,Forte model3amp,TeacUD503,Faroudja DV1000,PioneerCLD-97 ld player,Thorens TD-146,PioneerTX-9800,Mitsubishi HC5 projector,Tetra Artet cables

Oh I'm happy too with HD Blu-ray, for now. But I know too that I'll be there soon, in the 4K territory. There is simply no escaping for a guy like me.

And I'm going to expand size wise as well. When I saw that 80" Shark (Sharp Quattron) TV earlier today, I knew that I was getting much closer to my ideal size for my room. Because I also sit roughly eight feet from my display; the closer the better, and the more ultra high-res (smaller pixels and more of them) the more details you see onscreen. And the more details the more awe there is. ...If the material is on par, of course.

We only have one life; and whatever makes us happier.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

OLED is the way to go. LG is bringing out 77inch OLED later this year.

Its too hard for Sony, Panasonic and even Samsung to make at the moment. Only LG have the panel manufacturing worked out currently
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    OLED is the way to go. LG is bringing out 77inch OLED later this year.

Its too hard for Sony, Panasonic and even Samsung to make at the moment. Only LG have the panel manufacturing worked out currently
    The Samsung curves are OLED and they are probably making non-curved OLEDs as well. Both Samsung and LG are top dogs in TVs right now and both make very good TVs. Vizio is also up there, but they do not make OLED and I don't know if they will.
    Sony and Panasonic are not going to get into OLEDs according to industry reports. Panasonic may also pull out of offering TVs all together as well....there have been some whispers to that effect anyway.

It was so good that you'd swear that it was shot in 64K! ...True 64K! ...No Eric, nothing remastered here, just truly mastered.

Of course, ultra high-definition pictures are not for everyone, same as ultra high-end audio gear with ultra high-resolution sound (music) material (Reel-to-Reel tapes, 200gr LPs meticulously cut, high-res audio files; 352kHz/32-bit, DSD Xtra, multichannel hi-res audio for both music and movie mediums, XRCD, etc., etc., etc.).
    ...Both in physical form and audio Download files.

Only very few people are true audio/video explorers of le tres haut niveau du plus haut-de-gamme (high caliber).

* I and you, are not. ...We're simply no ultra people, just 'tra'. ...Like tra-la-la.
    Bob, I don't know the French language (except cooking terms).
    So I guess they have 4K or 64K cameras now? How did we go from 4K which is not out yet, to 64K?

This is not about cost, at least to me, it's about what is available and what is not. I don't care if a 4K TV is $100k or $10. I'm just trying to figure out what your talking about.

You also claim that you are not a true Audio/Video explorer of high caliber, but you posted about your adventure doing that. You also indicated that you are at least somewhat knowledgeable in the area. I'm a little confused by this.
    I know that I am certainly not either one. All I know is what I have read in several places or seen, nothing beyond that. My info in this area is strictly casual as I'm not worried about it because it doesn't have any impact on me. It's just curiosity in passing.
    When my DVD players die, I'll get a Blue Ray player to play my DVDs, but that's it. (Only because they don't make DVD players anymore, but the BR players handle DVDs extremely well).

1. 64K was simply my sense of humor (going all the way).
    ...Sorry. ...In the future this won't be no humor anymore; it'll happen (we'll both might be dead by then though).

2. They do have 4K cameras, but not 64K (not just yet).

3. For some true videofiles and audiofiles not only you need to have the right bank accounts and stocks (market shares), but also have first hand experience by possessing the goods in your own home, or been exposed directly to it. ..Concrete comparisons with other ultra high-end products of the same category are preferable but not entirely necessary. ...The more the better.

4. I'm talking about my own experience, my croyance, from my readings and comprehension, and I am discussing it with you right here right now on this very post in the most friendly, same level, equal-to-equal, mano-a-mano, fun, pleasant, educational, interesting, with a dose of good humor too (for us the human race), on the internet, in a forum, of an audio website.

5. DVD is fine, Blu-ray is even finer.

* OLED? ...Tough world right now; size wise (easier for your smartphone, not so for front projection screen size). ...We'll see...

I'm just learning as I go. ...And love to have fun while going.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

1. 64K was simply my sense of humor (going all the way).
    ...Sorry. ...In the future this won't be no humor anymore; it'll happen (we'll both might be dead by then though).

2. They do have 4K cameras, but not 64K (not just yet).

3. For some true videofiles and audiofiles not only you need to have the right bank accounts and stocks (market shares), but also have first hand experience by possessing the goods in your own home, or been exposed directly to it. ..Concrete comparisons with other ultra high-end products of the same category are preferable but not entirely necessary. ...The more the better.

4. I'm talking about my own experience, my croyance, from my readings and comprehension, and I am discussing it with you right here right now on this very post in the most friendly, same level, equal-to-equal, mano-a-mano, fun, pleasant, educational, interesting, with a dose of good humor too (for us the human race), on the internet, in a forum, of an audio website.

5. DVD is fine, Blu-ray is even finer.

* OLED? ...Tough world right now; size wise (easier for your smartphone, not so for front projection screen size). ...We'll see...

I'm just learning as I go. ...And love to have fun while going.
    Ah, it's starting to clear now. When random humor is inserted into a serious or factual discussion in written form it creates tons of confusion. Humor, sarcasm, tease and other similar things do not work in written word and will cause big problems in communication unless those things are in context fore and aft and directly related to the concept of the subject and even then it's touchy. There is no inflection in written word and inflection is absolutely necessary for humor or sarcasm and the like to be understood. You can not put inflection in written word, one must state that they are being sarcastic or humorous. For instance: (I'm being sarcastic) (Just kidding) or even just (sarcasm), etc. I seriously thought there was some 64k thing coming up.

2. Ok, I'll buy that there are 4K cameras now, that one is easy.

3. Well, that was not part of my point, but whatever as it is a reality of it.

5. My eyes just have an issue with Blue Ray picture quality, but I also have not seen a Blue Ray disc played on a properly dialed in TV. It's always been on some store TV with the contrast set to extreme Medusa or something. It doesn't matter at the end of the day for me though because nothing I have or want to watch was ever or will ever be available on Blue Ray disc anyway. I guess one factor is that what I like is not popular enough to spend the time or money on making Blur Ray versions. Some of what I have was never even made into DVDs. I had to take the VHS and convert it myself.

Eric, just check here: www.avsforum.com
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

The Samsung curves are OLED and they are probably making non-curved OLEDs as well. Both Samsung and LG are top dogs in TVs right now and both make very good TVs. Vizio is also up there, but they do not make OLED and I don't know if they will.
    Sony and Panasonic are not going to get into OLEDs according to industry reports. Panasonic may also pull out of offering TVs all together as well....there have been some whispers to that effect anyway.
    Samsung have one OLED TV. the other curved Samsungs are LED. Samsung have no new releases for OLED this year as they cannot find any way of bring the manufacturing costs down.

LG OTOH seem to have their unique OLED screens and going from strength to strength.

yes, agree Panasonic are between a rock and a hard place
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Samsung have one OLED TV. the other curved Samsungs are LED. Samsung have no new releases for OLED this year as they cannot find any way of bring the manufacturing costs down.

LG OTOH seem to have their unique OLED screens and going from strength to strength.

yes, agree Panasonic are between a rock and a hard place
    I'll take your word on that since I don't keep up with it every waking hour and I was happy with my CRT TV until digital came along and turned it into a paper weight a number of years ago.

* Samsung 78" - 4K (3840 x 2160) - 3D - Curved LED = $11,000 (Canadian dollars).

* LG 55" - 1080p (2K only) - 3D - Curved OLED = $5,000 Cdn.

* LG 84" - 4K- 3D - 240Hz - LED - (Flat) = $18,500 Cdn.

* Sharp Aquos 90" - 1080p (2K -> 1920 x 1080) - 3D - 120Hz - LED (Flat) = $9,000 Cdn.

* Sharp Aquos 80" - 4K - 3D - 120Hz - LED (Flat) = $10,000 Cdn. (70" same model = $6,000 on sale; reg. = $8,000)

<<>> Samsung Plasma 64" - 1080p - 3D (F8500 Series) = $3,500 Cdn.

<<<>>> Samsung 85" - S9000 Series (UN85S9AFXZC) - 4K - 3D - 120Hz - LED (Flat) = $40,000 Cdn. (Non avail on my entire Island!)
    -> I'm not even sure that Vancouver has one. ...I bet they don't. If I want one I can order it though.

OLED is extremely quiet (LG, that's about it). ...And nothing big. {Some Samsung smartphones: 5" or so.}

Panasonic ZT Plasma Series = All gone! * Biggest size was the 65" one. Last price = $4,300 Cdn.

...And the ones from my first original post, of course.

LED is the real lead (deal). Everybody is in it too. ...Even Panasonic and Sony. ...And Toshiba. ...Vizio (USA). ...And all the rest; cheap stuff.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

I saw the 4K TV at a local dealer in Ormond Beach Fl. Really nice but the 4K $$$ and 4K content and its download price is rather costly but should come down as the 4K product moves forward.

Also a few interesting articles :

Where Can You Get 4K Video? - Ultra HD - FAQ

Why are Sony and Samsung keeping 4K content to themselves? - CNET

Ultra HD and 4K TV: Everything you need to know: | News | TechRadar
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Good stuff Chris. And you are right, prices for 4K software and hardware will come down sooner than later.
    ...More accessibility/affordability to the masses.

But there is no doubt about it; the picture quality of 4K material is a very nice jump over 2K content.
    I saw it with my own eyes.

Also, I noticed that the ultra high-end segment of the video industry is expanding. ...More and more larger* sizes, 4K, and very high prices ($20,000-100,000). ...For flat panels, and front projectors.

* Flat panels in the 80" to 110" size!
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

LOL! I thought I was kidding myself when I stated that 4K stands for the price. I thought I was joking, turns out that is what 4K is I guess.
    I was happy with CRT. I tried to fight the digital conversion back when, (did petitions against it and everything and lost). I'm fine with 1080p HD as well though, but would not want to go more than that personally, even for free.
    I hated having to get a new TV because of the digital conversion when my old CRT was working fine for my uses, but I also anticipated using the internet for watching stuff too. (A TV to me a just a big monitor for DVDs or PCs. I hate broadcast TV and haven't had it in any form for years).
    I only watch educational stuff and concerts and the very very occasional classic movie once in a blue moon.

You can also get a 60" 4K flat panel display for less than a grand! ...Or somewhere close, tomorrow, or the day after.
    (I paid $990 for my 20" CRT Sony Triniton back in 88.}

A 50" 4K one for only $590! ... www.cnet.com/products/seiki-se50uy04-4k-uhd ...And she was only $400+/- earlier!
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

You can also get a 60" 4K flat panel display for less than a grand! ...Or somewhere close, tomorrow, or the day after.
    (I paid $990 for my 20" CRT Sony Triniton back in 86.}

A 50" 4K one for only $590! ... www.cnet.com/products/seiki-se50uy04-4k-uhd ...And she was only $400+/- earlier!
    With all due respect Bob, I wouldn't use Seiki product pricing as a realistic representation of the 4K market. Their performance level is significantly below the standard set by more established brands like Sony, Samsung, LG, etc. Seiki is just shooting to offer "4K" resolution at the lowest possible price, and their performance level unfortunately reflects those limitations.

(I paid $990 for my 20" CRT Sony Triniton back in 86.}

A 50" 4K one for only $590! ... Seiki SE50UY04 review - CNET ...And she was only $400+/- earlier!
    Yes, that's why I'm laughing because most TVs today in any size are inexpensive except for the OLEDs, Curves and Plasmas.

I paid around $350 for my old 27 inch CRT I can't remember what brand it was though. In the digital panic I paid around $999 for my current 42 inch Samsung. Back then that was considered a good deal. Today, that same size TV, same brand, with all the extras mine has plus more would run me about $300-$400, if that.

By not concerning myself with 4K, 12K, 64k and whatever else coming down the road, I also need not worry about having to get a new TV when this one gives out, because I'd probably still be able to pick up the same or better for less than half what I paid or I'd also be free to go without as part of the same group of choices. I think there is years of life left in my current TV though. I've had zero issues with it for the last 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    With all due respect Bob, I wouldn't use Seiki product pricing as a realistic representation of the 4K market. Their performance level is significantly below the standard set by more established brands like Sony, Samsung, LG, etc. Seiki is just shooting to offer "4K" resolution at the lowest possible price, and their performance level unfortunately reflects those limitations.
    Bill, it was only to show to Eric what's avail at the bottom of the 4K ladder now. But in two years ...

And yes, for $600 you can get a very decent 60" plasma model (2K). That's where my $600 would go instead of that awful 4K Seiki.

* That Samsung 65" 4K UHDTV that I saw the other day (comes in the 85" size too) was very very nice (Flat, not Curved).
    It retails for $4,500 Canadian dollars but I bet you can get it for somewhere around three grands USD.
    And that is common mortal ground. ...I'll wait for some 4K content and then I'll make the smart move, no sweat.
    ...As my secondary TV.

<<<>>> Time to hit the beach; this summer.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Interesting. Back 6 years ago when I was looking at TVs, the Panasonic TVs were not that great. PQ was just ok, but the reliability factor was the issue, lots of RMAs on them early on. Even with LG maybe offering screens to Panasonic, I still would not buy one because I don't know about the details of the issue, but it wasn't screens.

I wouldn't want a Plasma TV unless I have the perfect room for one. I also don't think Plasmas have as good a lifespan as LCDs or LEDs, but I could be wrong.

I wonder what Samsung is going to do since they are/were tied for first place in TVs with LG as of 6 years ago and up to now, so far as I know. I wonder what Vizio will be doing since they are second place in TVs which is not a bad spot to be either.

A long time ago Panasonic GAOO TVs were competitive with Sony. >> I know I still have my 31" GAOO.

Then came flat panels, and not long ago (2009-10) Panasonic installed a timer inside their plasma TVs; after a certain time the black level would recess!
    That wasn't good at all from Panasonic.

Anyway, I bought several Panasonic (Technics) products over the years, and I learned few things about their customer service, and the behind the lines of their business and their product's durability. ...Personal; directly with dealers, technicians, representatives, and from numerous readings too @ solid audio/video websites (to confirm my solid findings).

Fast forward today; Panasonic is the new 2014 KURO (Black) King, with both plasma and LCD LED sets.
    Samsung is a close second.
    Sharp, LG, Sony, ... behind. ...Except for Sharp Elite, but they are nowhere to be found now (not competitive).

It is tough to truly determine the best when longevity comes into the equation.
    ...Because what use is there to declare this or that the very best when customer service is below par and that the integrity of the people and the product's durability are into underground question. Nothing last forever, and it is the same with people and their enterprises.

Everything is a balance; of time, quality, innovation (living with today and not yesterday), righteous (price, affordability, fair perspective, representative of reality, ...), and one product might excel at this particular duty for a certain time in combination with that, and another ... and in time everything becomes quasi obsolete, and we have to start all over again. ...Such is a reality in life.

Technology is advancing so rapidly that the only way to keep in touch is to be aware, and experiment.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

A long time ago Panasonic GAOO TVs were competitive with Sony. >> I know I still have my 31" GAOO.

Then came flat panels, and not long ago (2009-10) Panasonic installed a timer inside their plasma TVs; after a certain time the black level would recess!
    That wasn't good at all from Panasonic.

Anyway, I bought several Panasonic (Technics) products over the years, and I learned few things about their customer service, and the behind the lines of their business and their product's durability. ...Personal; directly with dealers, technicians, representatives, and from numerous readings too @ solid audio/video websites (to confirm my solid findings).

Fast forward today; Panasonic is the 2014 KURO King, with both plasma and LCD LED sets.
    Samsung is a close second.
    Sharp, LG, Sony, ... behind. ...Except for Sharp Elite, but they are nowhere to be found now (not competitive).

It is tough to truly determine the best when longevity comes into the equation.
    ...Because what use is there to declare this or that the very best when customer service is below par and that the integrity of the people and the product's durability are into underground question. Nothing last forever, and it is the same with people and their enterprises.

Everything is a balance; of time, quality, innovation (living with today and not yesterday), righteous (price, affordability, fair perspective, representative of reality, ...), and one product might excel at this particular duty for a certain time in combination with that, and another ... and in time everything becomes quasi obsolete, and we have to start all over again. ...Such is a reality in life.

Technology is advancing so rapidly that the only way to keep in touch is to be aware, and experiment.
    I hate to break it to you, but while I have no clue what a KURO is, Panasonic is far from number one in quality TVs. Today, LG and Samsung still lead the pack and Visio is running a close second.
    Sony and Samsung screens were made by the same place, but the Samsung screens are superior because they have contracted a different set of specs than Sony has. I learned this when I was looking and before learning that I saw a vast difference between those two brands. The Sonys looked somewhat washed-out and not as clear to me.

However, in the grand scheme of things it's just like audio gear, it's down to personal preference. A screen might look washed out to one person and sharp to another. Reliability and life expectancy is where the numbers count.

KURO in Japanese means Black. ...That's what Pioneer Elite plasma TVs are called; KURO.
    And GAOO means Picture King.

Eric, how come Panasonic top plasmas are the winners for the last few years in flat panels shootouts?
    Samsung is right there too (color accuracy, uniformity, ...), but for Blacks Panasonic has the slight edge. ...Which gives you better perspective and contrast. ...That extra dimensional edge (blacker depth, brighter/clearer stars).

LG (plasma & LCD LED) and Sony (LCD LED) are still behind. But LG is gaining, and is the big pusher on OLED.

Vizio? ...Best for value, not performance compared to Panny and Sammy.

* My flat panel plasma is a Samsung (3D) one. My blacks are poor. But she's still working after three years (only one dead pixel).

<<>> Anyway, the accent of this thread is on 4K from the top guns (ultra high-end high definition visual).
    Because that's where I'm going next and soon. ...All digital, nothing analog. ...HDMI version 2.0
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

KURO in Japanese means King of Black. ...That's what Pioneer Elite plasma TVs are called; KURO. ...Or is it GAOO?

Eric, how come Panasonic top plasmas are the winners for the last few years in flat panels shootouts?
    Samsung is right there too (color accuracy, uniformity, ...), but for Blacks Panasonic has the slight edge. ...Which gives you better perspective and contrast. ...That extra dimensional edge (blacker depth, brighter/clearer stars).

LG (plasma & LCD LED) and Sony (LCD LED) are still behind. But LG is gaining, and is the big pusher on OLED.

Vizio? ...Best for value, not performance compared to Panny and Sammy.

* My flat panel plasma is a Samsung (3D) one. My blacks are poor. But she's still working after three years (only one dead pixel).
    Whoops, I was talking strictly LCDs, not plasmas, sorry, my bad. Yes, plasmas are a different animal technically speaking and Panasonic may will be on top in that category for all I know. For LCDs Samsung and LG are top dogs.
    Just FYI: The LG and Samsung LCDs come closest in blacks compared to their plasma counterparts, but it's still apples to oranges. I didn't bother to look at plasmas because they are expensive and not efficient in many ways, but do provide superior performance in perfect rooms.

My regular HD LCD Samsung is not great at blacks either because it's LCD. It's better in blacks than Sonys, Panasonics, Vizios and the rest except tied with LG in the LCD category. Still works good after 6 years and no dead pixels....yet. Although I most likely would not notice if there were any dead pixels because my eyesight has dead pixels, not mention floaters galore, no distance vision and thickening inner lens all along with pressure flux(glaucoma).

For me, I'd rather have an LCD flat panel as I have now as it can be used in imperfect rooms and has wider viewing angles and much more energy efficient. I haven't seen an LED screen yet, so I can't begin to comment any further on those. I won't bother looking until I need a new TV which won't be for at least 4 more years or more.

LCD LED; Panasonic and Samsung are still leading in that technology as well. Check the latest pro reviews from their flagship models. The top gun LCD LED panel from Panasonic has better blacks than anything else. ...Or at least equal.
    And Samsung latest 4K (Ultra HD TVs) are LCD LED driven. And so far this is my new direction on the visual side of entertainment.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Interesting. Back 6 years ago when I was looking at TVs, the Panasonic TVs were not that great. PQ was just ok, but the reliability factor was the issue, lots of RMAs on them early on. Even with LG maybe offering screens to Panasonic, I still would not buy one because I don't know about the details of the issue, but it wasn't screens.

I wouldn't want a Plasma TV unless I have the perfect room for one. I also don't think Plasmas have as good a lifespan as LCDs or LEDs, but I could be wrong.

I wonder what Samsung is going to do since they are/were tied for first place in TVs with LG as of 6 years ago and up to now, so far as I know. I wonder what Vizio will be doing since they are second place in TVs which is not a bad spot to be either.
    You are

I have had my Hitachi 42 inch plasma for 9 years and never missed a beat.
    Had my Pioneer Kuro 50 inch plasma in its 8th year now - still perfect, and this is used for every day watching.

You pay the price, you get what you pay for.

I remember when the first 50" plasma sets where retailing for around $20,000+ (Fujitsu). ...And that's only few years ago. ...Ten+

- In 1999, Pioneer PDP-501MX (50" plasma) was $25,000 USD. ...Maximum resolution: 1280x768 (XGA).

- In 2004, Fujitsu P55XHA30WS (55" plasma) was $12,000 USD.

- In 2006, Sharp Aquos (57" LCD) was $16,000 USD.

* In 2014, a 60" plasma (full HD), you can get for $400 USD, or free when you buy a new mattress (mistress ).
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Five pages in this thread and nobody makes mention about Sony?????

I've had Sony products for 15+ years and have never had any problems.

I'm currently researching the Sony XBR55X850B tv. It's a 4k set but I'm not sure I need a 4k tv right now.

OTOH, I'm not getting any younger and this tv will possibly be the last one I buy(if I decide to)
    Bob

Heroes don't wear capes, they wear dogtags.

Bob, Sony is simply not the leader anymore on TVs. ...Front projectors they fair much better.

I'm talking strictly flat panel HDTVs here (LCD LEDs because they never made plasmas). ...And their Gorilla glass.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

There are three Sony Ultra HDTVs in that link above, from their ten world's best. ...With full reviews.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

...And one Sony UHDTV in that latest faceoff from the above's link.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Just a quick comment, Bob ... saw a demo 4K some months ago, and, apart from the colour balance, very impressive it was! Of course, content is the problem ... something for down the track ...

Hey Frankie, wasup my man!

I totally agree with you; I was blown away!
    4K content will eventually spread more and more; I'm not worried too much about that now.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by Toobs View Post
    Five pages in this thread and nobody makes mention about Sony?????

I've had Sony products for 15+ years and have never had any problems.

I'm currently researching the Sony XBR55X850B tv. It's a 4k set but I'm not sure I need a 4k tv right now.

OTOH, I'm not getting any younger and this tv will possibly be the last one I buy(if I decide to)
    As already mentioned, Sony dropped a few levels in the past few years, but I understand they are trying to rectify it. One of the biggest issues I came into is that if you want to stream a video file from USB, it has to be in some oddball format and resolution or else it only fills about 1/6 of the screen size no matter what. When this happened to me, I called Sony Support where the guy pretty much admitted that they were failing in support, quality and useable features. It was not my TV.

That said, I still have an XBR142 that I have had for at least 15 years and the PQ is still the same as day 1. I also have a 32" XBR4 and of course it has a much better PQ than the XBR1 and that guy is at least 10 y/old.

Because of what I found with Sony, and wanting a 32" Smart TV for the bedroom, Sony was out and did not even have an American version of a 32"Smart. I only had a couple choices. A Vizio, which after setting it up next to the XBR4, went back as fast as I unpacked it.

I ended up with a 32" Samsung Smart that has an even better PQ than the Sony XBR4 and with my ZVOX and external Sub, this makes a great bedroom set.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

I was @ a high-end video store earlier today ...