Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

Cable recommendations for Conrad Johnson gear ...

I'm looking for RCA interconnect and speaker cable recommendations for my CJ gear. I think it's about time I give serious consideration. I think the eventual speaker pairings will be Harbeth and/or Sonus Faber Strads. I don't want garden hose size interconnects but something manageable. Obviously sound and compatibility are paramount. Any ideas as to what I should be considering?

ping: Myles? any ideas?
    Last edited by joeinid; June 9, 2014 at 09:50 AM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Cable recommendations for Conrad Johnson gear ...

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I'm looking for RCA interconnect and speaker cable recommendations for my CJ gear. I think it's about time I give serious consideration. I think the eventual speaker pairings will be Harbeth and/or Sonus Faber Strads. I don't want garden hose size interconnects but something manageable. Obviously sound and compatibility are paramount. Any ideas as to what I should be considering?

ping: Myles? any ideas?
    whatever you decide i say buy some inexpensive ones off mikech to use also, you might be surprised at the quality you get for the money. and im super impressed with his power cords as well.
    but i have heard the acoustic zen absolute copper speaker cables which can be had used for around $1200-$1500 and they are outstanding for the money. no idea what they are new. cause for the most part new cables are crazy priced when you can find used for usually 70% off the retail. i really like my zen silver ref2 rca ic that i bought used for $350 1m
    i have heard a great value is the nordost frey sc as well. but never heard a pair.
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

My cj gear loves Nordost. Valhalla and The.
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Alan Shaw would say that cables don't matter and just go to some place like Home Depot for lamp cord.

Sent from my mobile.
    Doug

Joe, these are my faves. High Fidelity Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    Alan Shaw would say that cables don't matter and just go to some place like Home Depot for lamp cord.

Sent from my mobile.
    Uh-huh.
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Super Moderator

Ha! I've read that and don't subscribe to that notion.

Sent from my mobile.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator

Those look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Elescher View Post
    Joe, these are my faves. High Fidelity Cables.

NAD C 658 streamer.

They sound good, too.

Go NORDOST , can't be wrong there
    Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints
    Kuzma / Focal / Resonessence Labs / ARIA / KRELL / Pro-Ject...

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    My cj gear loves Nordost. Valhalla and The.
    Quote Originally Posted by highEndguy View Post
    Go NORDOST , can't be wrong there
    i think thats your answer joe.lol. heavy on the wallet but something youd keep forever.
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Joe, don't you have Nordost Frey cables?

Sent from my mobile.
    Doug

Super Moderator

I have Nordost TYR2 and need to hook them up again, at least with the 30.1's and see what that gets me.

Joe, don't you have Nordost Frey cables?

Sent from my mobile.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I have Nordost TYR2 and need to hook them up again, at least with the 30.1's and see what that gets me.
    That's right. Well that should give you a good indication of the Nordost sound. Shunyata seems to get a lot of good press around here as well.

Sent from my mobile.
    Doug

Another option is seeing if Bob will let you borrow some Ansuz cables.

Sent from my mobile.
    Doug

Compleste looms of Cardas Clear/Beyond and Silent Source here. I'm far from a cable connoisseur, frankly hate cables, lol.
    Turntables: Acoustic Signature Invictus Jr. NEO, Grand Prix Monaco V3.0
    Tonearms: Acoustic Signature TA-9000 NEO, Kuzma Safir
    Cartridges: Miyabi Fuuga, Ortofon Century, Murashino Sumile Mono
    Phono Amplifiers: CH Precision P1, Channel D Lino 3.3
    Digital: CH Precision C1.2/D1.5/T1, Innuos Statement Nextgen, Luxman D-10X (Loan)
    Amplifiers: CH Precision L10/M10, Parasound JC1+, Gryphon Diablo 333 (Incoming)
    Speakers : Magnepan 30.7x, Wilson Audio XVX Chronosonic/Subsonics
    Cables: CAD Ground Controls/USB, Cardas Beyond Clear, Gobel Lacorde Statement
    Accessories: Artesania Exoteryc Racks & Damping Plates, Seismion Reactio, Degritter RC, RPG Acoustic Treatments/PSI AVAA, Torus Power/Plixir Elite BAC

Joe...I think Nordost will be a great combo with Harbeth and CJ. It won't add anything (no cables do) but it will let through the transient speed, resolution/clarity/neutrality, and 3-dimensionality that your system is capable of delivering. As we all know, the best cable is the one that does the least amount of damage sonically to your system. I find Nordost to be extremely neutral and revealing but in a natural way and I think it will meld nicely with CJ and Harbeth. Personally I think Tyr in the upper end and Heimdall in the lower end are the sweet spot in the Nordost range so your Tyr 2 IC is a great place to evaluate what a full Nordost Tyr loom could do for you. Hopefully you can find demo/used Tyr 2 so you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for the full shebang.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Hi Joe, I set up an ET250 with a TEA2se phono and an ET3se preamp a few years back. We found Nordost Brahma ( Dealer disclaimer ) power cords had the most noticeable improvement, went thru an entire Nordost loom and when we swapped the PC's the energy and sound stage shinned the best. I'm sure there are plenty of cables that will sound great with CJ, my experience with this particular setup was that the power cords made a bigger difference than the interconnects or speaker cables.

Super Moderator

Another option is seeing if Bob will let you borrow some Ansuz cables.

Sent from my mobile.
    Might be too rich for my blood.

Quote Originally Posted by annapolis Raider View Post
    Compleste looms of Cardas Clear/Beyond and Silent Source here. I'm far from a cable connoisseur, frankly hate cables, lol.
    I've ALWAYS loved Cardas cables and still think about some new ones. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    Joe...I think Nordost will be a great combo with Harbeth and CJ. It won't add anything (no cables do) but it will let through the transient speed, resolution/clarity/neutrality, and 3-dimensionality that your system is capable of delivering. As we all know, the best cable is the one that does the least amount of damage sonically to your system. I find Nordost to be extremely neutral and revealing but in a natural way and I think it will meld nicely with CJ and Harbeth. Personally I think Tyr in the upper end and Heimdall in the lower end are the sweet spot in the Nordost range so your Tyr 2 IC is a great place to evaluate what a full Nordost Tyr loom could do for you. Hopefully you can find demo/used Tyr 2 so you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for the full shebang.
    Thanks Cyril. I don't dislike my TYR2 speaker cables and should match them with with the same or better level RCA's.

Quote Originally Posted by AudioSalon View Post
    Hi Joe, I set up an ET250 with a TEA2se phono and an ET3se preamp a few years back. We found Nordost Brahma ( Dealer disclaimer ) power cords had the most noticeable improvement, went thru an entire Nordost loom and when we swapped the PC's the energy and sound stage shinned the best. I'm sure there are plenty of cables that will sound great with CJ, my experience with this particular setup was that the power cords made a bigger difference than the interconnects or speaker cables.
    Hi John,

Thank you for the advice. I do need to try some higher end power cords. I've heard from others too that we should take care of power first and the rest will follow.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Certainly looking at them too Kev. Thanks.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe,

Pretty much all top cables sound good with the cj products and just bring out different attributes of the system. Kubala-Sosna, MIT, Transparent, Skogrand, Waveform Fidelity, etc., have all worked here. About the only ones that don't are bright or edgy cables. But then again, what system do bright or edgy cables work in? Can't comment on the Nordost since haven't heard the latest generation.
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Super Moderator

Thank you Myles. That is good common sense and I realize each has their own signature. I'm getting some demos lined up. I'll report back when I have an idea of where I'm going.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I've been using Audience AU24e's all around. Great neutral sound, thin diameter, and relatively flexible. Pricing has gone up the last few years, but can usually find online deals for used/demo's. They've also fared very well in cable shootouts at our local audiophile society.
    Last edited by sleepysurf; June 10, 2014 at 10:43 PM. Reason: clarification
    Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo 205 > Conrad Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > Martin Logan Expression 13A's and two ML BF210 subs. Audience Au24e I/C's & speaker cable. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.

Thank you Myles. That is good common sense and I realize each has their own signature. I'm getting some demos lined up. I'll report back when I have an idea of where I'm going.
    Yep. Doesn't matter what I or anyone else likes. You have to hear the cables for yourself.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    I've been using Audience AU24e's all around. Great neutral sound, thin, and relatively flexible. Pricing has gone up the last few years, but can usually find online deals for used/demo's. They've also fared very well in cable shootouts at our local audiophile society.
    A friend loaned me the Audience speaker cables. I really liked them so they are in the running.

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
    Yep. Doesn't matter what I or anyone else likes. You have to hear the cables for yourself.
    Totally agree.

NAD C 658 streamer.

If you looking to have a faster and dynamic sound, combined with an incredible silent background, to bring out even the smallest details.....
    I strongly recommend the interconnect cable Viero Cables Equilibrio Level 3..... just try and enjoy....

Sounds like you need to demo some for the good of the forum Joe!! Know anybody that could loan you some?

Super Moderator

Hmmmmm. Not sure

NAD C 658 streamer.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

You already know my suggestion
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    You already know my suggestion
    coconut cable ?
    Paul

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    coconut cable ?
    Sounds tasty

NAD C 658 streamer.

Sounds tasty
    Sure it does.

Paul

Super Moderator

NAD C 658 streamer.

hmmm, so where does one put the nut in the coco?

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Cable recommendations for Conrad Johnson gear ...