Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Can someone please explain Buffered Passive for Dummies?

I get that a passive Pre is pretty much a volume control between the source and amp. My VAC pre has a Buffered Passive mode that uses only the 12ax7s and bypasses the 12au7s, but that is where my understanding ends. What are they using the tube to do if not gain? I suppose if they used the tube for gain, it would no longer be passive.

Is ther a simple way to explain this mode of my Pre? In normal and high gain modes, it uses both sets of tubes.

Thanks!
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Re: Can someone please explain Buffered Passive for Dummies?

Not sure if this helps much
    If you're only considering gain factor, the 12AX7 family falls like this:
    12AX7 - 100
    5751 - 70
    12AT7 - 60
    12AY7 - 45
    12AV7 - 41
    12AU7 - 19
    I have been told with the 12au7 being a low voltage gain it has a very high current gain. I can only guess it is because of the output transformer design. The Octave V70 and V110 uses a single 12ax7 for an input tube and a pair 12at7's for splitter/driver tubes. The V80 uses a single 12at7 for an input and a pair of 12au7's for driver/splitter tubes. The output transformers in the V80 is better but not sure why.
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

Well I thought there would be no gain used or how can it be called passive. So what is the Buffered action if not gain? Are they using the tube to do something else?
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

a "buffer" is a layman's term for cathode-follower. This circuit topology means the output is taken off the cathode instead of off the anode. when the output is taken off the cathode, there is no VOLTAGE GAIN. NO VOLTAGE GAIN. It "buffers" the stage preceding it. the idea is that the buffer will not present a load to the stage driving it. That is a very good thing for sound quality. Generally speaking, in a good design, the first stages will be gain stages, then a buffer, then the power stage. Of course, in a preamp, there is no power stage.

Passive means there are no ACTIVE devices (tubes and transistors are active devices) in the signal path.

A buffer does not impart tonal qualities. Thus, a buffer can be any active device, even a transistor and, if properly biased, no one will know it is there except the builder/designer.

A buffer's purpose is (usually) two-fold. take the signal from the preceding stage and pass it on to the next stage without loading down the preceding stage AND providing sufficient CURRENT to drive the stage following the buffer.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum forum Jerry, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

It's just an oxymoron.

= = = = = = = = = = =
    A buffer is far from the only circuit that does not impart tonal qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryz1963 View Post
    a "buffer" is a layman's term for cathode-follower. This circuit topology means the output is taken off the cathode instead of off the anode. when the output is taken off the cathode, there is no VOLTAGE GAIN. NO VOLTAGE GAIN. It "buffers" the stage preceding it. the idea is that the buffer will not present a load to the stage driving it. That is a very good thing for sound quality. Generally speaking, in a good design, the first stages will be gain stages, then a buffer, then the power stage. Of course, in a preamp, there is no power stage.

Passive means there are no ACTIVE devices (tubes and transistors are active devices) in the signal path.

A buffer does not impart tonal qualities. Thus, a buffer can be any active device, even a transistor and, if properly biased, no one will know it is there except the builder/designer.

A buffer's purpose is (usually) two-fold. take the signal from the preceding stage and pass it on to the next stage without loading down the preceding stage AND providing sufficient CURRENT to drive the stage following the buffer.
    That is an excellent and informative explanation, welcome to AudioShark! The only point that I would respectfully question is that "A buffer does not impart tonal qualities." There are tube buffers which are sold with the specific claim to impart some of that "tube magic" into either a solid state system or a digital front end. Even though their active stage may not provide any gain it is my understanding that they can still influence the resultant sound quality and a system's relative tonal balance. I suppose it's possible that it's actually other aspects of the sound which are changed with tube buffers without affecting the tonal qualities specifically. An interesting topic for discussion!

manufacturers especially make what I consider gross exaggerations to sell their products. a properly biased cathode follower, source follower, etc, is pretty much transparent. Studies were done, double blind listening tests. They started with one buffer, nobody could tell. then 2 buffers, nobody could tell. Then 3 buffers and nobody could tell. They kept adding buffers until a difference was noted. I forget the exact number of buffers in series that were added, but it was at least 10. I think it took like 16 buffers before anybody could tell.
    i would consider it a marketing ploy if somebody were to claim a cathode follower was imparting "tube magic" into the circuit. Again a buffer WILL improve the sound quality by not loading down the stage driving it and by providing plenty of current for the tube being driven. But that's not the same thing as saying it is imparting tube magic. My own experiences in testing and designing have led me to believe that not loading down the preceding stage is most of the benefit unless one is using screen drive (G2 drive).
    I should mention that buffering SHOULD be done in a passive as potentiometers have capacitance, and that capacitance can short the high frequencies to ground. Max Robinson on "Fun With Tubes," has a very readable and easy to understand dissertation on the topic. You do not want potentiometers in series without an active device (gain stage or buffer) in between them. the cumulative capacitance will shunt the highs, cause a high frequency roll-off

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Can someone please explain Buffered Passive for Dummies?