Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: Jeff aka A/V Solutions system

Quote Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
    Have the Zesto Bia120 amp and Leto preamp set up.....what an awesome pairing , here some pics.

Attachment 3446 Attachment 3447 Attachment 3448 Attachment 3449 Attachment 3450 Attachment 3451
    Jeff, that REALLY is an incredible looking room!!!.....VERY, VERY NICE

Thank you all for the nice words......

Funny thing is when George (owner of Zesto) sent me the pictures of his new amp my thoughts were it looks fairly compact for an amp, seemed about the size of his Andros and Leto pieces, should be easy to find a place in any of my racks.....the amp arrived and Wow!! that ain't going in the eq. racks, the Bia 120 is big in comparison and really belongs on its own stand

I try not to have high expectations of any new gear until its gotten some hours on it and I've learned a bit about its sound.....I got to tell you about 20 minutes into my all day listening session I was absolutely taken, this is one of those rare occasions where I found no faults and after 10 hours still no faults . I currently have the Joseph perspective's in the system and honestly they have never sounded better.....I'm totally stoked that I'm not dealing with a six figure system but a more modest cost system to get this kind of sound, really something I or anyone could be happy with for a long long time IMO......and as always YMMV!! Happy Listening.
    Dealer / Manufacture Disclosure:

Jeff Whitlock
    A/V Solutions / Unity Audio Design
    www.avsolutionsca.com

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Audioshark

Jeff - their gear is going to rise quickly in prices once people figure out it competes and often surpasses the stuff from big boys. You can build a gorgeous sound and looking system with Zesto now. Add some nice efficient speakers and you're done!
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I think so too.....the Bia120 and Leto pre follows the same path as the Andros phono stage IMO!!

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

Thank you all for the nice words......

Funny thing is when George (owner of Zesto) sent me the pictures of his new amp my thoughts were it looks fairly compact for an amp, seemed about the size of his Andros and Leto pieces, should be easy to find a place in any of my racks.....the amp arrived and Wow!! that ain't going in the eq. racks, the Bia 120 is big in comparison and really belongs on its own stand

I try not to have high expectations of any new gear until its gotten some hours on it and I've learned a bit about its sound.....I got to tell you about 20 minutes into my all day listening session I was absolutely taken, this is one of those rare occasions where I found no faults and after 10 hours still no faults . I currently have the Joseph perspective's in the system and honestly they have never sounded better.....I'm totally stoked that I'm not dealing with a six figure system but a more modest cost system to get this kind of sound, really something I or anyone could be happy with for a long long time IMO......and as always YMMV!! Happy Listening.
    Sounds awesome, Jeff! I know you have a critical ear and don't wax enthusiastic without reason. Would love to hear the setup sometime!

Allen

One of these will soon be in the system

aesthetixcallistostack.jpg

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

Audioshark

One of these will soon be in the system

aesthetixcallistostack.jpg
    Very cool Jeff! Congrats!

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Very cool Jeff! Congrats!
    Thanks Mike....

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

Nice !!!! Where's mine!!!
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

They're gorgeous, Jeff!

Allen

Audioshark

CALLISTO TUBE LINESTAGE

Callisto is an all-tube linestage suitable for the most demanding audio systems and listeners. Fully balanced circuitry from input to output, including internal balancing of single-ended inputs, results in common mode signal rejection and cleaner sound. The innovative discrete switched resistor volume control maximizes resolution at any listening level. A separate power supply chassis removes any possibility of transformer noise corrupting the delicate audio circuitry. Peter Moncrief Stealth Capacitors are used in the Eclipse Edition for unparalleled sound quality.

• Fully balanced differential circuitry with ability to internally balance a single-ended input signal.
    • Innovative and unique mechanically switched discrete resistor volume control with 46 positions using Roederstein resistors.
    • Separate volume controls and input selectors for each channel.
    • All tube amplification and output (8 tubes total).
    • Separate vacuum tube regulated power supply utilizing 8 tubes.
    • Two sets of XLR and two sets of RCA outputs per channel.
    • Six inputs: First two single-ended (rca) or balanced (XLR); remaining four single-ended (rca) only.

Callisto is available in three versions: Mk II, Signature and Eclipse.

The Mk II version uses high-grade Rel-Cap polypropylene coupling capacitors. The Signature version uses exotic and expensive coupling capacitors and other critical parts to bring the performance to a higher level. Eclipse is the ultimate realization of the true capabilities of the Callisto, incorporating constrained-layer damped machined aluminum panels and Peter Moncrief's Stealth Capacitors. All versions of Callisto can be factory upgraded to Signature or Eclipse.

Callisto Options and Upgrades

• Eclipse Version Detail
    • Signature Version Detail
    • Mk II Version Detail
    • Callisto comes with a single power supply standard, or optionally a second power supply may be added for true dual-mono. Power Supply Detail
    • Remote control is optional with the Callisto. Adding the system allows remote adjustment for volume and muting, and optionally phase. The remote system uses motors and pulleys to rotate the volume controls and has a completely isolated electrical system. It may be added to any version of Callisto. Remote Control Details
    • Callisto Mk II and Signature available with black or silver faceplate.
    • Callisto Eclipse may be ordered with custom finishes - Design your own Callisto Eclipse.

Reviews & Accolades

"simply phenomenal inner detail, vast soundstaging, and a dynamic and harmonic bloom that seems to bring every kind of music to vivid life"

The Absolute Sound Golden Ear Award (2003): CALLISTO SIGNATURE linestage and IO SIGNATURE phono stage

"The Callisto is as fast, neutral, dynamic and authoritative as any preamp I've ever heard, solid-state or not... entirely worthy of the high esteem in which it's been held..." -Shane Buettner

Audio Perfectionist Journal (2007): CALLISTO linestage
    "In practice, (the remote) is a marvel to use and makes listening to music a joy." -Albert Porter

Positive-Feedback.com (2006): CALLISTO linestage with remote, read review
    "stunning dynamics, remarkable transparency, and a life-like recreation of space and volume... jaw-droppingly three-dimensional" -Wayne Garcia

The Absolute Sound (2002): CALLISTO linestage "Centerstage" and "Harry Pearson's Workshop" feature

Specifications

Inputs: Six inputs: First two single-ended (rca) or balanced (XLR); remaining four single-ended (rca) only
    Outputs: 2 RCA (SE) and XLR (balanced), 1 tape RCA
    Line level gain: 23 dB single ended (SE), in/out, and 29 dB balanced/out
    Volume control: switched resistor network volume control with 46 steps
    Front panel controls: Left and right input select, left and right volume
    Remote controls(optional): Volume, mute, balance, phase (option)
    Frequency response: +- 0.25 dB, 20 Hz - 20 Khz
    Signal to noise: measured at 70 dB minimum, A-weighted (ref 1 mv input, 75 dB gain setting)
    Line input impedence: 100K ohms SE, 200K ohms balanced
    Output impedence: 1K ohms SE, 600 ohms balanced
    Recommended amplifier load: 10K ohms or greater (SE), 20K ohms or greater (Balanced)
    Tubes, each channel: (line section) V1 (6922), V2 (12AX7), V3 (6922), V4 (6SN7)
    Power consumption: 300 watts

Physical dimensions:
    Main unit, MkII or Signature: 5 5/8" high, 19" wide, 18" deep including jacks
    Main unit, Eclipse: 5 1/2" high, 17 1/2" wide, 18" deep including jacks
    Power supply, MkII or Signature: 5 5/8" high, 19" wide, " deep including jacks
    Power supply, Eclipse: 5 5/8" high, 17 1/2" wide, 18 1/4" deep including jacks

Shipping weights:
    Main unit, MkII or Signature: 42 Lbs
    Main unit, Eclipse: 47 Lbs
    Power supply, MkII or Signature: 50 Lbs
    Power supply, Eclipse: 55 Lbs

Specifications subject to improvement or change without notice.

Technical Documents

Callisto Owner's Manual
    Callisto Remote Control Owner's Manual
    Callisto Tube Placement
    Callisto Important Notice

Jeff,

Very nice acquisition! Can't wait to hear your impressions on Callisto, as an IO owner I always wondered what the team would sound like. What are you getting the Eclipse, Sig orMk II? Single or dual power supply?

Again congrats
    Dan

The older I get the more I know how little I know!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSectorA View Post
    Jeff,

Very nice acquisition! Can't wait to hear your impressions on Callisto, as an IO owner I always wondered what the team would sound like. What are you getting the Eclipse, Sig orMk II? Single or dual power supply?

Again congrats
    I went with the Eclipse, single power supply and outboard remote/volume control......I was tossing back and fourth going the dual power supplies but I will leave that for another day plus this gives me more breathing room ($$$) for the IO Eclipse which hopefully follows shortly after

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

congrats Jeff, I am always curious as to the sonic and engineering bias of 2 chassis preamp designs where the more often decided outboard power supply is usually solid state. However great companies like Zanden and now Aesthetix use a tube based separate chassis power supply. I wonder which makes more sense engineering wise. Enjoy your new toy.

Nick
    Nick

Main system :TAD CR1 speakers, Viola Labs Symphony amp,Pass XP-20 preamp., MSB Discrete DAC with twin power supplies and V2 Renderer module, Gigafoil V4 inline ethernet filter with uptone LPS-1 power supply with Ghent audio Gotham 2.1mm to 2.5mm cable and AG diamond ethernet cable, Sonicorbitor Roon Audiophile 6 TB network server-player , MG Audio Design Planus III jumpers & speaker cables, Zitron Cobra power cords, Shunyata Hydra AV, and acoustic zen absolute copper IC,. Room treatment ASC tower traps, Vicoustic absorber premium cinema wall and ceiling panels, and MSR acoustic trifusser side wall panel

Quote Originally Posted by veindoc View Post
    congrats Jeff, I am always curious as to the sonic and engineering bias of 2 chassis preamp designs where the more often decided outboard power supply is usually solid state. However great companies like Zanden and now Aesthetix use a tube based separate chassis power supply. I wonder which makes more sense engineering wise. Enjoy your new toy.

Nick
    Thanks Nick.....not sure why the tube power supply but like it. Its been mentioned to check out rolling the EL34 & 6CA7 in the power supply if one wishes to change things up a bit. I like outboard volume control, keeping as much of that circuitry away from the analog circuitry is a nice touch.

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

I went with the Eclipse, single power supply and outboard remote/volume control......I was tossing back and fourth going the dual power supplies but I will leave that for another day plus this gives me more breathing room ($$$) for the IO Eclipse which hopefully follows shortly after
    Can't wait for your review on Callisto Eclipse, if Callisto is anything like Io the second power supply adds resolve to the bass and a little more presence.

IO is a logical choice after Callisto, if you haven't compared IO to Rhea you might be in for a very pleasant surprise . And from what I heard the Eclipse is that much better. Someday I will have mine upgraded to Partial Eclipse.

Again congrats!
    Dan

Oh and by the way, when you listen to Callisto and IO at the same time shut down your heating system, trust me you won't need it
    Dan

I had originally went with the single power supply but decided to go the whole nine yards and added the second power supply

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

I had originally went with the single power supply but decided to go the whole nine yards and added the second power supply

Ha! Some could ask why, but here it is why not indeed!!

Now you will need AC in the winter time. Congrats again!
    Dan

The Eclipse version allows one to choose the face plate, dials, logo color, etc.....I went with this config.

aesthetix_custom.pdf

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

Now you will need AC in the winter time. Congrats again!
    Ha...between the Callisto / IO and the dual power supplies for both that's 40 tubes

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

Wow that thing is sweet!!!!
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Ha...between the Callisto / IO and the dual power supplies for both that's 40 tubes
    IO takes 20 tubes in the dual power supply and 16 tubes in the phono stage for a total of 36. Assuming the same for Callisto you will have a total of 72 tubes to get these two baby going. You will be listening to music in a bathing suit in the dead of winter !
    Dan

Just beautiful. Enjoy

Nick
    Nick

Main system :TAD CR1 speakers, Viola Labs Symphony amp,Pass XP-20 preamp., MSB Discrete DAC with twin power supplies and V2 Renderer module, Gigafoil V4 inline ethernet filter with uptone LPS-1 power supply with Ghent audio Gotham 2.1mm to 2.5mm cable and AG diamond ethernet cable, Sonicorbitor Roon Audiophile 6 TB network server-player , MG Audio Design Planus III jumpers & speaker cables, Zitron Cobra power cords, Shunyata Hydra AV, and acoustic zen absolute copper IC,. Room treatment ASC tower traps, Vicoustic absorber premium cinema wall and ceiling panels, and MSR acoustic trifusser side wall panel

IO takes 20 tubes in the dual power supply and 16 tubes in the phono stage for a total of 36. Assuming the same for Callisto you will have a total of 72 tubes to get these two baby going. You will be listening to music in a bathing suit in the dead of winter !
    I was looking again at the spec

IO - 16 tubes
    IO power supply - 4 tubes x two regulators = 8 per power supply x two power supply = 16 tubes

Callisto - 8 tubes
    Callisto power supply - 4 tubes x two regulators = 8 per power supply x two power supply = 16 tubes

so that's 56 tubes I think.....will have to confirm anyway that's a boat load for two pieces of gear!

I just counted all the gear using tubes in the listening room and with the Callisto / IO and other gear there is 141 tubes

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

Jeff aka A/V Solutions system

Sounds like we know where to go if we want to make s'mores
    Nick
    Nick

Just take the covers off and you won't need any holiday lightening!
    Michael

Magico S5s; PASS Labs Xs150s and Xs preamplifier; Lumin A1; Synergistic Research Galileo LE Powercell, Galileo LE speaker cables and interconnects, Galileo LE Analog and Digital power cords, Transporter Ultra SE, Tranquility Bases, MiGs, HFTs, XOTs, FEQ, Vibratron and Bass Station.

I was looking again at the spec

IO - 16 tubes
    IO power supply - 4 tubes x two regulators = 8 per power supply x two power supply = 16 tubes

Callisto - 8 tubes
    Callisto power supply - 4 tubes x two regulators = 8 per power supply x two power supply = 16 tubes

so that's 56 tubes I think.....will have to confirm anyway that's a boat load for two pieces of gear!

I just counted all the gear using tubes in the listening room and with the Callisto / IO and other gear there is 141 tubes
    You're right, IO takes 32 tubes and not 36 as previously mentioned. I should open the power supply more often I guess . I had 56 tubes there for a while including a line stage and power amp, was too much for my little brain to get around so I went SS on the amp.

Love the glow of tubes though
    Dan

Audioshark

Very nice Jeff! She's a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by mdkim View Post
    Just take the covers off and you won't need any holiday lightening!
    or the furnace and stove

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

I put the Zesto Bia120 amp / Leto preamp back in the system but this time with the Volterra's......wow what a nice pairing!

zestorosso1.JPG zestorosso2.JPG

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

I put the Zesto Bia120 amp / Leto preamp back in the system but this time with the Volterra's......wow what a nice pairing!

zestorosso1.JPG zestorosso2.JPG
    Okay..I just got a woodie !!! Wow...sweet...
    MAIN RIG: Equipment: Marantz SR4023 as Pre / Velleman K4040 Tube Power Amp / Yamaha M65 Power Amp / Polk Monitor 70's with Polk Sub / ClearAudio Concept table with Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Stage and ClearAudio Concept MC cart /Pioneer PL500 TT with AT440MLa

Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Jeff, you still have the best room! I lightened things up so you can see the speakers better...

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    Jeff, you still have the best room! I lightened things up so you can see the speakers better...

Thanks Doug.....hopefully some day I'll figure out what all these buttons do on the camera

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

Audioshark

Jeff - just saw this! Looks like a beauty! I heard this amp at RMAF. It was the best I heard the TADS.

Do you know if George has plans for monoblocks?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Jeff - just saw this! Looks like a beauty! I heard this amp at RMAF. It was the best I heard the TADS.

Do you know if George has plans for monoblocks?
    possible

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

Where are the IB2i? :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul

That's awesome you can see by comparison to the classic3 just how big that amp is.
    Zesto stuff is gorgeous and so are those speakers!!!
    I guess it all is lol!!!
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMcIntosh View Post
    Where are the IB2i? :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    see pic

pmc001.JPG

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

see pic
    Awesome !

Wish this was my room...

Paul

Here is a shot of the Jelco SA-750D arm.....its nice they include the second counter weight for heavy cartridges like SPU's the removable head shell is nice too, make swapping cartridge a breeze.

jelco1.JPG jelco2.JPG

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

Audioshark

OMG! Beautiful! We will want updates!

Nice, can't wait for the first impression and review. Enjoy!
    Dan

Timing is good, we have been having some cold nights.......24 tubes should help a bit

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Very cold too here on the Island at night. ...Watching BR movies on a plasma TV helps in warming up the mansion.
    ...And with seven power amplifiers running (two amps; a stereo one and a 5-channel one), that does have an added warming effect.

By the way we got our first snow yesterday.

* PMC speakers, I dig it.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Suh-weeet, Jeff! +1 on the listening impressions, please!

Allen

Jeff.... I really wish you are near by......
    Paul

Timing is good, we have been having some cold nights.......24 tubes should help a bit
    Need IO to help keep you warm Jeff
    Dan

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team