Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Cancelation of ground loop noise.

Hi Guys,

Do any of you have any tricks or tweaks to cancel ground noise without using a cheater plugs.

Josh.
    Josh.

Cary 308T cd player, Squeezbox Touch, Sonus Faber Cremona M, REL T3 subwoofer, Conrad Johnson ET3SE preamp, Conrad Johnson Clayssic 60 SE, Fosgate Signature Phono Stage, VPI Scoutmaster II + Ortofon Cadenza Blue cartridge, PS AUDIO Dectet Power Center, VPI 16.5.

"I'll play it and tell you what it is later".
    Miles Davis

Josh... I hope Joe & Jeff (& others) may chime in here. I have been pretty lucky so far (knock on wood). Good luck buddy!!!
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Jeff

AMP: McIntosh MC402 PRE: McIntosh C2300 Digital: Gold Note DS-10 & PSU-10 EVO TURNTABLE: Dr. Feickert Blackbird PHONO STAGE: Gold Note PH-10 & PSU-10 SPEAKERS: Aerial Acoustics Model 8B’s

“The more you tighten your grip Tarkin the more star systems will slip through your fingers”

Disconnect everything, power cords, IC's speaker cables, etc.....start by re-connecting everything one by one until you run across the component that causes the hum.

Also is everything plugged into the same outlet?

Is the hum volume dependent, meaning when you turn the volume up does the hum get's louder or is it constant no matter what volume level you choose?
    Dealer / Manufacture Disclosure:

Jeff Whitlock
    A/V Solutions / Unity Audio Design
    www.avsolutionsca.com

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Quote Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
    Disconnect everything, power cords, IC's speaker cables, etc.....start by re-connecting everything one by one until you run across the component that causes the hum.

Also is everything plugged into the same outlet?

Is the hum volume dependent, meaning when you turn the volume up does the hum get's louder or is it constant no matter what volume level you choose?
    Yes, the hum is volume dependent.
    Josh.

Cary 308T cd player, Squeezbox Touch, Sonus Faber Cremona M, REL T3 subwoofer, Conrad Johnson ET3SE preamp, Conrad Johnson Clayssic 60 SE, Fosgate Signature Phono Stage, VPI Scoutmaster II + Ortofon Cadenza Blue cartridge, PS AUDIO Dectet Power Center, VPI 16.5.

Miles Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Skroudo View Post
    Yes, the hum is volume dependent.
    So your saying as you raise the volume the hum get's louder? ground loops are less volume dependent and more constant. Is it with all sources?

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

I have had problems before on my HT system between MC207 & Marantz pre and would get the hum sound. With many hours of hair pulling diagnostic, it turns out the the culprit was the trigger cable from the MC207 to the Pre was causing the hum..
    Dewey,

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
    So your saying as you raise the volume the hum get's louder? ground loops are less volume dependent and more constant. Is it with all sources?
    No, just with the phono.
    Josh.

Miles Davis

If it's just the phono move your ground wire to a different spot.You do have a ground wire with the RCA's right?

Quote Originally Posted by TubeBias View Post
    If it's just the phono move your ground wire to a different spot.You do have a ground wire with the RCA's right?
    Right, where I can connect the the ground wire if not to the phono.
    Josh.

Miles Davis

The other end.Is it screwed to the chassis of the AVR or whatever your source is?
    Try grounding it elsewhere to see if the hum stops.Just by hand touch it to a new spot or 3 and see if it helps.

Welcome.jpg - - - Skroudo
    André - - - Keep it simple system
    Amp = Chord CPM-2600
    Source = Chord One
    Speakers = Acoustat 1+1s highly modified
    Life without Acoustat is possible BUT senseless.

Sounds like it also could be in the tonearm cart connections. Try touching the back of the cart, the arm, etc. (you become the ground) ..does it quiet down ? What type of table ? Most of the time (not all) I have found that the type of hum you describe is less of an issue with the ground wire and more in the headshell/tonearm ground wire.

Also, not to state the obvious but just to be sure...Looking at the back of the cart straight on, your wires should be RED Top right, Green Bottom right, white top left, blue bottom left. I don't think that's it because miswire would net no sound in a channel...let us know on the ground TOUCH
    Last edited by ohbythebay; April 23, 2013 at 09:32 PM.
    MAIN RIG: Equipment: Marantz SR4023 as Pre / Velleman K4040 Tube Power Amp / Yamaha M65 Power Amp / Polk Monitor 70's with Polk Sub / ClearAudio Concept table with Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Stage and ClearAudio Concept MC cart /Pioneer PL500 TT with AT440MLa

Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Problem solved, Jeff A/V Solution was right, I had one loose connection behind my cartridge.
    I want to thank you all for the help you provided.
    Josh.

Miles Davis

Problem solved, Jeff A/V Solution was right, I had one loose connection behind my cartridge.
    I want to thank you all for the help you provided.
    Hi Josh....pleasure speaking with you yesterday and glad all is good

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

Josh... Glad to hear all is well again!!! Jeff is the TT guru, way to go!!!
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Jeff

AMP: McIntosh MC402 PRE: McIntosh C2300 Digital: Gold Note DS-10 & PSU-10 EVO TURNTABLE: Dr. Feickert Blackbird PHONO STAGE: Gold Note PH-10 & PSU-10 SPEAKERS: Aerial Acoustics Model 8B’s

“The more you tighten your grip Tarkin the more star systems will slip through your fingers”

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Without Jeff (A/V Sol.) we'll be swimming in the vast ocean of uncertainty.

* And am I glad to have such a great bunch of Jeff's here.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Quote Originally Posted by northstar View Post
    without jeff (a/v sol.) we'll be swimming in the vast ocean of uncertainty.

* and am i glad to have such a great bunch of jeff's here.
    agreeeee!!!!!!
    Last edited by Skroudo; April 24, 2013 at 05:05 PM.
    Josh.

Miles Davis

Hey ...I said it too..!!! LOL Glad Jeff helped ya out ..he is awesome !!!
    MAIN RIG: Equipment: Marantz SR4023 as Pre / Velleman K4040 Tube Power Amp / Yamaha M65 Power Amp / Polk Monitor 70's with Polk Sub / ClearAudio Concept table with Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Stage and ClearAudio Concept MC cart /Pioneer PL500 TT with AT440MLa

Quote Originally Posted by ohbythebay View Post
    Hey ...I said it too..!!! LOL Glad Jeff helped ya out ..he is awesome !!!
    You absolutely did said that too my friend, sorry for missing this part.
    Josh.

Miles Davis

You absolutely did said that too my friend, sorry for missing this part.
    No worries !!! Jeff is an EXPERT ..just spend an hour on the phone with him...LOL

No worries !!! Jeff is an EXPERT ..just spend an hour on the phone with him...LOL
    +1

Dave
    "I must admit I felt a little uneasy
    When she bent down to tie the laces of my shoe"
    -Bob Dylan Tangled Up In Blue

“The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats...”
    ― Albert Schweitzer

“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.” - Bob Dylan

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    ― Jimi Hendrix

Jeff, AV solution is the MAN. Enjoy!
    working progress

Deleted
    Last edited by Dewster; April 25, 2013 at 12:43 AM.

An hour on the phone!? Pffff... Jeff is really slacking.
    Dewey,

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

Re: Cancelation of ground loop noise.

I've had luck with my Wyred4Sound DAC2 and Integra DHC 80.3 with both my Boulder 1010 and previously with a McIntosh C2300. What I did was run a common wire from the ground terminal's intended for phono on the Integra and the preamp and the chasis of the DAC2. This resolved 90 percent of the humm noise I had. Oddly plugging everything into a McIntosh MPC1500 did absolutely nothing to resolve the issue. I found it odd since the MPC1500 is essentially a large isolation transformer. The last 10% was only obtained by using a cheater on the DAC. If I remove the ground wire between all the units, I get the humm back.

Ground loops suck.
    Ref System: Wilson Alexx on Stillpoint Ultras w/Base, dCS Rossini & Upsampler & Clock, Audio Research REF 160S, REF 6SE, WW Platinum Everywhere, Roon
    Office System: B&W N802D2, NAD M10
    Living Room System: B&W N804D, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10
    Bedroom: Dynaudio Focus 160, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Cancelation of ground loop noise.