Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Naim that tune ... Supernait 2 and HiCap-DR

I love this thing!

I'm going to have to clean it and retake the photos.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joeinid; April 26, 2014 at 12:55 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Naim that tune ... Supernait 2 and HiCap-DR

Naim = music. Enjoy Joe.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    Naim = music. Enjoy Joe.
    +! Cyril !!

Beautiful Joe !!!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Awesome Joe! Thanks for the pics. Great looking piece of gear. Not sure why you need to clean it, but I really don't want to ask.
    Doug

Super Moderator

Doug,

You are too funny. Let's just say that the excitement got the best of me.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Sweet, Joe! Let us know how she sounds!

Allen

Super Moderator

Naim is stunning! It's very present in the room. The speakers are not there, just the music. It has a wonderful flow to it. I can't get over it. It has a big, full round sound with some sweetness and a round bottom, like I like my women.
    Last edited by joeinid; April 26, 2014 at 04:52 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Cool a Hicap DR also. great!!!!!!

Don't listen to a supercap DR - destroys the Hicap.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Super Moderator

That's one thing about Naim. The better the power supply, the better the sound

I love, love love, this combo.

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    Cool a Hicap DR also. great!!!!!!

Don't listen to a supercap DR - destroys the Hicap.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Naim is stunning! It's very present in the room. The speakers are not there, just the music. It has a wonderful flow to it. I can't get over it. It has a big, full round sound with some sweetness and a round bottom, like I like my women.
    Amen, brother.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Naim sound. I am still loving mine. I will be interested to hear your thoughts as it breaks in.
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Super Moderator

Hi Sean,

Can you tell me what changes you perceived and how long it took. Right now it's stupendous and oh so musical. I can't imagine better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Amen, brother.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Naim sound. I am still loving mine. I will be interested to hear your thoughts as it breaks in.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe...do you mind if I ask what's the list on the SuperNait 2 and the HiCap-DR? Curious what zip code we are talking about here? I can look it up but is the SuperNait 2 simply an integrated or does it have DAC or phono on board as well? Thx
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Joe

What speakers are you using the Naim with? Based on your signature line I don't really see anything that would work with the output of that integrated.

Super Moderator

Hi Cyril,

The new list on the Supernait 2 is $5150 and the HiCap-DR is $2500. The extra cable adds $300. When the V2 version came out, it's a straight integrated now. They removed the DAC and made improvements. I don't need/want another DAC so I'm happy with the change. Obviously the sound is paramount.

Hi Jack,

I'm using my TADs right now and it sounds amazing. They are 4 ohm speakers and the Naim puts out 130 wpc at that rating. Naim is known for having lower watt ratings but able to drive almost any load. The extra power supply adds to the oomph and lowers the noise floor and really brings up the performance.
    Last edited by joeinid; April 26, 2014 at 10:57 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Glad to hear it works with the TAD's and a little surprised. I would have thought the MR would have been a good match for them, but if you like what you are getting with the Naim and TAD combo that is all good. When you get the Harbeth's it will be interesting to see which direction amp wise you go.

Super Moderator

The MR is an outstanding amp. Is it better than the Naim, in some respects yes but I wanted a solid state alternative with a different flavor.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hey Joe, I am running mine sans HiCap so my break-in might differ from yours slightly. That being said I would say the 2 biggest changes I noticed were the bottom end tightening up and just the smoothness of the overall presentation being more apparent. I wouldn't say the amp was ever harsh sounding with my 160's but the presentation was more effortless, let's say, as it settled in. I would notice this more when I would leave the amp on for 7+ days straight. I have changed the PC from the stock one to a Silver Electra to a Shunyata Venom High Current, which I am currently running. The Shunyata adds to the naturalism of the amp, I feel; I like it very much. I also run it straight to the wall.

I will be intrigued to hear what you think of the sound and how it compares to the MC275 after that comes in and you have both broken in. Enjoy the ride, my friend. I am happy you are part of the Naim club!

Hi Sean,

Can you tell me what changes you perceived and how long it took. Right now it's stupendous and oh so musical. I can't imagine better.
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Hi Cyril,

The new list on the Supernait 2 is $5150 and the HiCap-DR is $2500. The extra cable adds $300. When the V2 version came out, it's a straight integrated now. They removed the DAC and made improvements. I don't need/want another DAC so I'm happy with the change. Obviously the sound is paramount.

Hi Jack,

I'm using my TADs right now and it sounds amazing. They are 4 ohm speakers and the Naim puts out 130 wpc at that rating. Naim is known for having lower watt ratings but able to drive almost any load. The extra power supply adds to the oomph and lowers the noise floor and really brings up the performance.
    Joe is correct - Naim watts are something you have to hear to believe. 80 watts at 8 ohms obviously doesn't sound like much but it's the high current that makes this amp what it is (along with the Discrete Regulator). The high current at low impedances allows the amp to drive speakers you wouldn't tend to believe it could (somewhat similar to strong tube amps). I haven't max'd out my SN2 on my 160's but I have turned it up quite loudly...never a hint of strain or clipping. I imagine the HiCap/SuperCap only exacerbates this effect.
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Super Moderator

Perfect Sean. Thank you. I love this thing so much that I catch myself looking at all the other Naim gear.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Just to add.

Adding a power supply on naim, powers the preamp section only. Adding the power supply adds nothing to the power amp.

Hi Cyril,

Hi Jack,

Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Super Moderator

Thanks Jock. I had no idea. I still have a lot to learn but I have to tell you that I am hooked. Big time.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Yeah, but for how long?

I'm so happy for you Joe. I know how much you appreciated my little Naim integrated and I'm sure that you will get years of enjoyment out of yours. It will be a great match with your Harbeths. You are making some great choices. I can't wait to hear you system.

Super Moderator

Who cares? You?

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Yeah, but for how long?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Thanks Bruce. I am lucky to have briefly heard your system. I could not get that sound out of my head. I now know what the Naim followers understand. It's such a musical and full bodied sound.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceLet View Post
    I'm so happy for you Joe. I know how much you appreciated my little Naim integrated and I'm sure that you will get years of enjoyment out of yours. It will be a great match with your Harbeths. You are making some great choices. I can't wait to hear you system.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Naim is a quirky company.

In their separates, the preamps have no power supplies. It gets it's power from the power amp. And if you want improve the sound you add a separate power supply to the preamp instead of using the power amp.

Thanks Jock. I had no idea. I still have a lot to learn but I have to tell you that I am hooked. Big time.
    Jock

---------

Super Moderator

Quirky or not, I love what I'm hearing.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Wait until those 40.1's arrive!

Glad you're enjoying the ride Joe.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post

+1! I think the Naim and Harbeth's will really be something, Joe! When do they come in?

Allen

Super Moderator

OMG! I am!

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    +1! I think the Naim and Harbeth's will really be something, Joe! When do they come in?
    About 4 more weeks. I hope.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

Yeah, but for how long?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

Naim is the real deal! I am smitten. I have assimilated.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Yeah, but for how long?
    Time is of no importance, only peace is.

Or: "Time not important. Only life important." - Mondoshawan ('The Fifth Element')
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Naim is the real deal! I am smitten. I have assimilated.

Super Moderator

Thanks Kev.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Okay Joe I'm assuming you've been running the Supernait 24/7. How's it sounding with more hours on it?
    Doug

Super Moderator

Doug,

It is OUTSTANDING. I absolutely love it. Full, meaty, so much music in the room, tons of detail, no harshness, wonderful rhythm and flow. I can not wait to come home and put the music on. Makes my TADs sing like nothing else. I'm hooked.

Okay Joe I'm assuming you've been running the Supernait 24/7. How's it sounding with more hours on it?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Awesome, Joe, great to hear!!

Allen

Super Moderator

Thanks Allen. I had no clue. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I am really enjoying it.
    Last edited by joeinid; May 1, 2014 at 08:23 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    Awesome, Joe, great to hear!!
    +1

So you've had your share of amps come through your place. How does the little integrated stand up to some of the big boys, i.e. Dart, D'ag, Mc, etc... that you've auditioned?
    Doug

Super Moderator

I hate to say it, but I have no desire right now to switch it out. The CJ gear is my ultimate, but ALL THOSE TUBES, oy!

+1

So you've had your share of amps come through your place. How does the little integrated stand up to some of the big boys, i.e. Dart, D'ag, Mc, etc... that you've auditioned?

NAD C 658 streamer.

That's great Joe. I love integrateds!
    Doug

Super Moderator

I wish I had discovered Naim a long time ago. Maybe it took all these other brands to realize what I have now.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I wish I had discovered Naim a long time ago. Maybe it took all these other brands to realize what I have now.
    Nothing wrong with that logic. For some people, going to shows and having stores to listen to gear at isn't plausible. Many times you just have to buy what you think you might like and hope you can get lucky after a few trial and errors. Others like to buy and sell many pieces of gear to hear the differences between pieces and figure out what they are looking for. I think you hit the nail on the head. After hearing many different amps you now know what you like and what you don't like. That's a great position to be in.
    Doug

Delighted with your TAD - Naim synergy. Perhaps tubes winter and naim in the summer. Not sure which amp to recommend when you listen to "Rites of Spring". Been very busy at work only recent purchases r music and a SR alpha digital power cord for my Dac. Did you still have S3 in near queue to evaluate. For now me and my cr-1 r very happy

Nick
    Nick

Main system :TAD CR1 speakers, Viola Labs Symphony amp,Pass XP-20 preamp., MSB Discrete DAC with twin power supplies and V2 Renderer module, Gigafoil V4 inline ethernet filter with uptone LPS-1 power supply with Ghent audio Gotham 2.1mm to 2.5mm cable and AG diamond ethernet cable, Sonicorbitor Roon Audiophile 6 TB network server-player , MG Audio Design Planus III jumpers & speaker cables, Zitron Cobra power cords, Shunyata Hydra AV, and acoustic zen absolute copper IC,. Room treatment ASC tower traps, Vicoustic absorber premium cinema wall and ceiling panels, and MSR acoustic trifusser side wall panel

Congrats Joe on your new Naim!!!

Can you tell me how the speakers are connected to the amp? spades?,bannanas? I don't understand Naims connections??

I sort of understand your love of Naim...I heard them connected to a pair of Wilson Audio Duettes and I fell in love with the sound. It's too bad Naim doesn't have other finishes besides black...a great dust collector.

Super Moderator

Nothing wrong with that logic. For some people, going to shows and having stores to listen to gear at isn't plausible. Many times you just have to buy what you think you might like and hope you can get lucky after a few trial and errors. Others like to buy and sell many pieces of gear to hear the differences between pieces and figure out what they are looking for. I think you hit the nail on the head. After hearing many different amps you now know what you like and what you don't like. That's a great position to be in.
    Thanks Doug. I love your attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by veindoc View Post
    Delighted with your TAD - Naim synergy. Perhaps tubes winter and naim in the summer. Not sure which amp to recommend when you listen to "Rites of Spring". Been very busy at work only recent purchases r music and a SR alpha digital power cord for my Dac. Did you still have S3 in near queue to evaluate. For now me and my cr-1 r very happy

Nick
    Hi Nick,

Ha! Very funny. I've noticed you've been quiet. I'm really amazed at what the Naim does for the TADs. I had put the word out that they were for sale and have a commitment for a sale. They might be gone Saturday, but if I had realized earlier what this combo was like, they never would have been for sale. I am still interested in the S3 and possibly Wilsons. I do have a pair of Harbeth 40.1's coming in a few weeks, so they will keep me busy until I finally decide what I really want. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by 'cisco View Post
    Congrats Joe on your new Naim!!!

Can you tell me how the speakers are connected to the amp? spades?,bannanas? I don't understand Naims connections??

I sort of understand your love of Naim...I heard them connected to a pair of Wilson Audio Duettes and I fell in love with the sound. It's too bad Naim doesn't have other finishes besides black...a great dust collector.
    Welcome back! I've missed you. Thank you so much. They work perfectly with banana plugs in the back of the unit or their own cable which comes standard with a plug that mimics two banana posts. Easy as pie. The sound is amazing. It's music for sure.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Congrats

I need to try the supernait.
    Jock

---------

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    Congrats

I need to try the supernait.
    I'd love your opinion on your D3 with Naim

NAD C 658 streamer.

Naim worked well with Raidho. I only had my naim system with my D1s but they would have been good w the D3s

My prob was that I was on a waiting list to get my 500 series naim gear upgraded for over a year. And without being updated, it just didn't compare to the Ayre I had and certainly not the D'Agostino. At basically the same new price level. And I gave up. So I sold it.

I'm not trying to say the Chris at Naim Audio Service & Accessories Recap Rebuild Restore | Olive NAP500 NAP250 NAP135 NAIT NAC52 DR Upgrade TibiaPlus Z-Plug PDC | AVOptions.com isn't great. Because he is, amazing work and honesty. But I was on the upgrade list from summer 2012 to fall of 2013 and he couldn't get me in.

The guy I sold the preamp to sent it to Chris and he got right on it for him. No clue the circumstance. Maybe just me.

Bottom line - I would buy their new statement in a heartbeat if I could hear it in non show conditions. (edit, who am I kidding, there is no way I can afford it )
    Jock

---------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Naim that tune ... Supernait 2 and HiCap-DR