Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Lightbulb Denon AVR-4520CI -> 9.1-Channel Audio/Video Receiver with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 & all that Jazz | Review

Denon AVR-4520CI A/V Receiver | Sound & Vision

* It can be set up to run an eleven point two (11.2) channel surround sound system!
    And it does so much stuff that it can even drive your car for you! ...Well, almost.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Re: Denon AVR-4520CI -> 9.1-Channel Audio/Video Receiver with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 & all that Jazz | Review

Who's got one of those amazing machines; the Denon 4520?

* Zero viewing since I first started this thread; that tells me a little somethin'.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Re: Denon AVR-4520CI -> 9.1-Channel Audio/Video Receiver with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 & all that Jazz | Review

I'm still looking for that auto-pilot feature you mentioned. But I've had a 4520 for a over a year in a 7.1 setup.

Looks very cool, but out of my price range for HT, which is secondary to Stereo.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Nuz1 View Post
    I'm still looking for that auto-pilot feature you mentioned. But I've had a 4520 for a over a year in a 7.1 setup.
    That auto-pilot thing won't come from a receiver but most likely from a smartphone.

* Are you satisfy with your 4520? ...Care to share some?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    Looks very cool, but out of my price range for HT, which is secondary to Stereo.
    Brian, a Sherwood Newcastle R-972 AV receiver with TRINNOV is only $600 brand new and with a 3-year warranty!
    Or you can also find an Onkyo TX-NR818 AV receiver with Audyssey MultiTask and MultEQ XT32 for only $550 brand new!

- Just some value suggestions.

* The Denon AVR-4520CI AV receiver you can get for a thou or so nowadays, I believe.
    Me, I would still get one of the two above. ...Better build quality. But that Den is no slouch, according to a vast bunch.
    Just don't pay $2,500 for it, but roughly half or so.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Brian, a Sherwood Newcastle R-972 AV receiver with TRINNOV is only $600 brand new and with a 3-year warranty!
    Or you can also find an Onkyo TX-NR818 AV receiver with Audyssey MultiTask and MultEQ XT32 for only $550 brand new!

- Just some value suggestions.

* The Denon AVR-4520CI AV receiver you can get for a thou or so nowadays, I believe.
    Me, I would still get one of the two above. ...Better build quality. But that Den is no slouch, according to a vast bunch.
    Just don't pay $2,500 for it, but roughly half or so.
    Thanks Bob. I have an Integra 30.3 at the moment which does what I need. It can almost drive my 5 Dynaudios in the setup
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

I would love to read the takes from Nuz1 and also Eric on that Den 4520. ...I believe that it is very similar to the latest flagship Marantz AV receiver. ...Perhaps the Marantz has a slightly more sophisticated (richer clarity) sound.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Which Eric are you talking about? I don't know anything about this.

Happy to offer what I can. It is my first HT setup and paired with B&W CMs and an REL subwoofer. I've been quite impressed so far with sound for HT use. Featurewise, I think the 4520 and top Marantz AVR are the same. However, just as a point of comparison, my 2 channel system includes a Marantz integrated. Not a direct comparison, but I would offer similar comments to above that Marantz may have a slightly richer (softer?) sound and may be tuned more for a system which is dominated by music. I think the Denon is a little more neutral which is great for movies & TV.

I would also offer that I know I am grossly underutilizing this AVR. It can power multiple zones, stream music, it has airplay, has a built in network switch and can power 9 speakers. I have heard others say that adding wides brings more to the sound than adding heights. But I haven't experimented myself.

I don't typically listen at reference levels. But in a couple of cases where I've had it fairly close to reference, I wondered if it I needed more power. But running B&W CMs and not Diamonds, I'm not sure if it was running out of power or (more likely) running out of speaker. At some point I may bring home a 3 channel amp to power LCR and see if I hear a difference. But I'm making some amp changes to my main stereo, so that will wait for now.

The only hitch I have had with the 4520 relates to firmware updates. It needs a wired connection. I had successfully completed multiple firmware updates over my wireless repeater. But the last time it stalled part way through and I actually had to be sent in for repair to get rid of the corrupted firmware. My fault, wired was recommended and I took the easy way out. Next time I'll string a cable two stories up the stairs so I can plug directly into my modem.

You'll have to tell me if there is something else that you want me to comment on.
    Last edited by Nuz1; April 24, 2014 at 06:17 PM. Reason: typo

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Denon AVR-4520CI ->  9.1-Channel Audio/Video Receiver with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 & all that Jazz | Review