Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: If you had to choose only ONE pair of speakers for rest of your life ...

When I was 20 years younger, the Martin Logan Statement driven by a complete Cello system left unforgetable print in my musical memory. It was in Paris - Presence Audio Conseil at that time.
    I even bought a pair of Cello Encore 150 mono amps to get a little taste of that 'magic'. But not with the same speakers, unfortunately...

For me, it was Apogee Diva speakers with Krell monos back in 1992 that were demonstrated by Jason Bloom at a store event. Memory is a funny thing but it may have been the most lifelike sounding music I ever heard. Jason was a great audiophile and a really nice man who left us way too early.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
    Honestly, I could live happily ever after with a mint pair of Acoustat 2+2s....
    I have a loaner pair of 2+2s in the system and i'm always struck by how close they come to super 'stats like the sound labs - but these are easier to drive. they will give you a huge slice of today's best 'stats at a paltry price.

So far, the only pair of mega-buck loudspeakers that (I think) I could jump into a monogamous relationship with are the Rosso Fiorentino Sienas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Julot View Post
    Voxativ makes their own drive, in Berlin. They are made of wood, of all matters.

This speaker is actually a flat-ish horn, as you may have guessed from the transparent one. There's only one, fullrange, active drive, with very high sensitivity. When I asked last spring in Munich, the price of the black unit was a low low 192k€ . Stil, to me it was the best sound in the show, if not the best value (they used their own electronics and TOTALDAC digital sources).

This drive unit is active, i.e. the magnet is replaced by a coil, with a battery power supply, and an engine made of permadur...

Dimensions: 47 x 55 x 7.5", i.e. 120 x 140 X 19 cmn, 70kg/155lbs

A really good fullrange speaker is interesting because you can dispense with crossovers altogether. We at ICOS only make a 5 way active system because no fullrange speaker would properly reproduce both treble and bass, and we don't like crossovers and capacitors, but this one feels like a possible game changer. One of these days we'll try their OEM drives see if we can do something good and expensive.

Check out their website:
    Loudspeakers - Voxativ Loudspeakers
    Really ????? $100.000 ?????

Voxativ Ampeggio Due - hand crafted in Germany | Full range | Apple Valley, California 92307 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community
    Paul

Paul

Ok....Seriously please some one tell me is this designer is she or he.

Paul

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Ok....Seriously please some one tell me is this designer is she or he.

Paul, just your type of........

Speaker.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

She.

Well that is less than half price...
    Manufacturer of
    ICOS Audio, complete active systems, amplifiers, DACs and CD-players

Importer of
    Antipodes Audio music servers and cables

In our Paris showroom, music lovers are welcome to experience the multi-awarded Dedicace, a five-way active system equipped with:
    - Antipodes DX music server
    - Antipodes Audio Kokiri AES cable, Reference InterConnect (2x) and Komako speakers (2.5 pairs)
    - Legato Power Cables (3x)

If you understand German, their 15' film is quite fascinating imo
    Manufacturer of

Importer of

In our Paris showroom, music lovers are welcome to experience the multi-awarded Dedicace, a five-way active system equipped with:
    - Antipodes Audio Kokiri AES cable, Reference InterConnect (2x) and Komako speakers (2.5 pairs)

Merlin VSM MX
    Simple 2 way with glorious sound.

I'm difficult with speakers and don't like most of them but this week I heard my first Verity Audio (an old pair of Rienzi) and just brought them home. I find them truly remarkable. I even find them pretty now that I heard them. I haven't heard something I don't like about those speakers yet. I cannot hear any coloration, from speaker or box. No problem with the stereo imaging either. They're lively, but not artificially so. Easy to place too, and not demanding when it comes to cables. Going back to other speakers has proven quite hard (in the store). Maybe it's just a perfect pairing with my amps (of course I use ICOS amps -- what else?), but it's the first stereo solution I'm fully happy with (the Raidhos were fascinating and addictive, but had grave issues ; I loved the Voxativ but their price is crazy even for me who make 60k systems for a living ; that's basically it for speakers I heard and loved).

This used pair at 6.5k€ is a steal, frankly.
    Manufacturer of

Importer of

Not sure why editing always create a new post in my browser, but here's the machine:
    DSCF6869.JPG

Last edited by joeinid; October 4, 2015 at 02:34 AM.
    Manufacturer of

Importer of

On my side, after the 2015 Munich Show and visiting the manufacturer's factories I am getting very much fan of JMF Audio and even more in love with Kaiser Acoustics.

Actually Verity Audio and Kaiser share similar speaker cabinet concept with rear firing bass driver and bass-reflex port.
    The Kaiser Kawero! Classic is simply the most fantastic small footprint speaker I am aware of.

If we're talking speakers that I could actually afford, for me, it would have to be Totem Mani-2's. For the brief period I had them on loan from a friend, I will never forget how good them sounded. They had a palatable, visceral effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Cellindo View Post
    On my side, after the 2015 Munich Show and visiting the manufacturer's factories I am getting very much fan of JMF Audio and even more in love with Kaiser Acoustics.

Actually Verity Audio and Kaiser share similar speaker cabinet concept with rear firing bass driver and bass-reflex port.
    The Kaiser Kawero! Classic is simply the most fantastic small footprint speaker I am aware of.
    Thanks for the indication, I'll look into it. Meanwhile, one big difference I see is that those Kaisers are single cabinets, whereas the Rienzi is actually two cabinets, which to me is just much more sensible (vibratory issues related to bass and medium are better dealt with separately).
    Manufacturer of

Importer of

Quote Originally Posted by Julot View Post
    I'm difficult with speakers and don't like most of them but this week I heard my first Verity Audio (an old pair of Rienzi) and just brought them home. I find them truly remarkable. I even find them pretty now that I heard them. I haven't heard something I don't like about those speakers yet. I cannot hear any coloration, from speaker or box. No problem with the stereo imaging either. They're lively, but not artificially so. Easy to place too, and not demanding when it comes to cables. Going back to other speakers has proven quite hard (in the store). Maybe it's just a perfect pairing with my amps (of course I use ICOS amps -- what else?), but it's the first stereo solution I'm fully happy with (the Raidhos were fascinating and addictive, but had grave issues ; I loved the Voxativ but their price is crazy even for me who make 60k systems for a living ; that's basically it for speakers I heard and loved).

This used pair at 6.5k€ is a steal, frankly.
    If you think the Rienzi are good just give a listen to the Sarastro. When I was looking for speakers I almost put my hand on a used pair, unfortunately it didn't work out. New were out of my budget. Verity is one of the unsung hero in this field in my opinion.
    Dan

The older I get the more I know how little I know!

Just what I was telling myself...
    Manufacturer of

Importer of

The new Thrax Lyra speakers and their upcoming matching subwoofer in a all Thrax system with enKlein cables. My current system is the next in line, and after I installed a newly designed power supply in my MA-300 from the MA-500, I am shocked how much better my system sounds. I am also in the process of upgrading my Venture CR-8 Signature's 4 woofers to the Venture Reference Signature 3

http://www.higherfi.com/pix100k/Vent...ce_Sig_III.jpg
    Venture Audio Grand Ultimate in Macassar Ebony, Thrax Dionysos pre, Thrax Tres mono's, Magnus MA-300 w/ MA-500 power supply, Stealth digital RCA, Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver pc's, Prana Wire Cosmos sp. cables, LG 65" OLED, ModWright modified Oppo 103D(transport), Reference Line Stage power conditioner, SME 20-2w/ Graham 2.2 tonearm, Ortofon Windfeld, Canary Audio MC10, PranaWire Linebacker, Luxman D-08 cd/sacd/dac.

Probably TAD Ref 1s and all TAD electronics.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio LLC
    zenwaveaudio.com
    "Integrity and Excellence in Audio"

I would choose the Martin-Logan Statement E2.

Based on the speakers I've recently heard:

YG Acoustics Sonja 1.2

OR;

Magico S7
    Acoustic Frontiers Acoustic Design media room; Raidho D3; Boulder 1160; JL Audio F212v2; EMM Labs DV2; EMM Labs XDS1v2 (transport); JL Audio CR-1; Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC; Solidtech ROS; Nordost & Ansuz cabling & resonance control.
    http://systems.audiogon.com/systems/5013

I can not imagine ever selling my Pass Labs Rushmores. They are 4 way "active" with built in electronic crossovers. So I guess I will not be in the market for Amps, crossovers, or speaker cables either. Plus, at 275 pounds each, I am getting way too old to have to move them..

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Scubadon, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator

My Strads would have to be number one on my list. I think the Salon2 are another I could easily live with for the duration. I have not listened to as many speakers as some here, but could be very happy with most of the Harbeth speakers with the right amp if speaker size and room size are a factor.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

So.. I was going spout some BS exposition on how I've found enlightenment, but I'll forgo the hippy mantra in favor of keeping my position short n' sweet...

When you get right down to it, I'm lucky to have a system that makes me happy. Having said that, I've reached a point in life to where I could easily live with something far, far, far, more humble - should I ever have to ditch my Hi-Fi. Give me a pair of Polks and some affordable Marantz gear and yep... I could live with that just fine.

Definitely my Raidho D3, Version 2. Wonderful musicality, so lifelike. The Revel Salon 2 would be second for me. They were hard to let go.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Give me the KHARMA veyrone.....

I heard them last week here at kharma head quarters when I went to see when my order will arive and I almost went home crying...lol

The more speakers I hear, the more I am convinced that audiophiles have the worst hearing. Saying that I cannot imagine "ëver"selling my infrasonic generators, so it will be standmounts!

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    The more speakers I hear, the more I am convinced that audiophiles have the worst hearing. Saying that I cannot imagine "ëver"selling my infrasonic generators, so it will be standmounts!
    LOL. Maybe "different unique tastes" is better.

Half the battle is exposure. The more speakers you hear, the more your views evolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Thats true. They say audiophile hear everything but the fault in theyre own System.

My taste is not just the sound but the looks 2.uploadfromtaptalk1449972717236.png

I'm torn between my Paradigms or Spatial Holograms. If I had to choose between those I think the Paradigms would ever so slightly edge out the Spatials, but then again they are two different designs for one and I fell in love with both. So I must confess, I'm not sure I could make the decision.

For me ... The TAD CR1s.

One of the "big" Nolas' like HP's. On a side note a "broker" has HP's speakers for sale on A'Gon.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

If you had to choose only ONE pair of speakers for rest of your life ...

Well , you know what mine would be The mighty Harbeth M40.1 no NOT 40.2 . If the money and space not an object I would love to have the Avantgarde Trio with 4 bass horns.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Half the battle is exposure. The more speakers you hear, the more your views evolve.
    That is true for many things in life. However, for me right now, "Ignorance is bliss." While I do know the S7 will kick the S5's butt, I can listen to this system the rest of my life with little, or no, regret. Which is good since it has taken a chunk out of my retirement funds.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

800 diamonds

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    That is true for many things in life. However, for me right now, "Ignorance is bliss." While I do know the S7 will kick the S5's butt, I can listen to this system the rest of my life with little, or no, regret. Which is good since it has taken a chunk out of my retirement funds.
    I am there also with the S5. I now just need the courage to stay out of audio shops.

As to: Thats true. They say audiophile hear everything but the fault in they're own System.

The sad time is when you can only hear the failings of your system....

Wel. I have had a lot of sad times... but I was fortunate inough to just gow out and change gears.
    It would be sad if u made a buy that didn't satisfy u and u are not in the position to do anything about it..

For the size of the room I have now, my Strads are perfect but in a smaller non dedicated room I am sure I would prefer a much smaller speaker. For me, I have found that I have to match the speaker to the room for the best sound.
    Paul

Main Stereo System:

Harbeth 40.3 HD, Jay's CDT3 MK3, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Aurender N20, Luxman M900 & C900 , (2) JL f113, Shunyata Denali 6000v2 Power Conditioner, Altaira, AZ Cables, Stillpoints & Symposium shelves under everything.

Theater System:
    JVC RS400 projector, 130" Stewart screen, Oppo 105D, Audio Physic Classic speakers, REL 3D subs, MC8207 MX136, Synergistic Research Powercell, AZ interconnects, speaker cables and PC's.

Quote Originally Posted by PMCH View Post
    For the size of the room I have now, my Strads are perfect but in a smaller non dedicated room I am sure I would prefer a much smaller speaker. For me, I have found that I have to match the speaker to the room for the best sound.
    Paul , you missed one last word. "for now " LOL
    Paul

Paul, you may be correct. I always think that this is it and I am done until I switch things around again. I am not nearly as bad at switching things around as you are though.
    Paul

Main Stereo System:

Harbeth 40.3 HD, Jay's CDT3 MK3, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Aurender N20, Luxman M900 & C900 , (2) JL f113, Shunyata Denali 6000v2 Power Conditioner, Altaira, AZ Cables, Stillpoints & Symposium shelves under everything.

Theater System:
    JVC RS400 projector, 130" Stewart screen, Oppo 105D, Audio Physic Classic speakers, REL 3D subs, MC8207 MX136, Synergistic Research Powercell, AZ interconnects, speaker cables and PC's.

Quote Originally Posted by PMCH View Post
    Paul, you may be correct. I always think that this is it and I am done until I switch things around again. I am not nearly as bad at switching things around as you are though.
    Oh...come on. I'm not bad as J** or M***
    Paul

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Oh...come on. I'm not bad as J** or M***
    I prefer to refer to it as "audio experiences". If you had to choose only ONE pair of speakers for rest of your life ...

I prefer to refer to it as "audio experiences". If you had to choose only ONE pair of speakers for rest of your life ...

If you had to choose only ONE pair of speakers for rest of your life ... If you had to choose only ONE pair of speakers for rest of your life ... If you had to choose only ONE pair of speakers for rest of your life ... If you had to choose only ONE pair of speakers for rest of your life ...

Yes. Your are my role model and mentor !
    Paul

LOL. Maybe "different unique tastes" is better.

Mike, I'm pretty sure some of the buggers are tone deaf!!!

Banned

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team