Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: If you had to choose only ONE pair of speakers for rest of your life ...

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I know people speak of the ESL 57s in near reverential terms, but in reality it is a very limited speaker. No real bass, not much on the top end, and it's basically a midrange speaker that can't take much power at all before it arcs and blows holes in the panels. If you love chamber music played at low volumes, I guess they are OK. I like the original Quad II amps that were designed to go with the ESL 57s much better. Fitted with NOS Mullard KT-66 tubes and NOS Mullard rectifier and those little amps rock much harder than the ESL 57s ever could have hoped to.

Other than the above deficiencies, I think the ESL-57s are great!

heeere we go... another doubter they sound like sh!t on the stock feet, mine are raised 18" and angled forward slightly so they're horizontal, they've been rebuilt (Sheldon stokes). 57s have QUALITY bass, they just don't plumb the depths and the ultimate lack of sparkle on top is because: 1) your hearing acuity doesn't extend far enough or 2) you have them on stock feet and the treble is hitting your chest not your ears.

think big headphones when listening to 57's they're best suited for near field listening.

microstrip posted independently performed measurements of the ESL 57 which showed pretty flat on-axis frequency response from about 45 Hz to 17-18 kHz; as good or better than many touted modern speakers.
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

Based on speakers I've heard multiple times for more than an hour, I'd go with Aerial 10ts.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum cratz2!

Thank you for joining!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I've had lots of speakers, but my current pair might be with me the rest of my life......

Magnepan 3.7

Not that I might not buy some more to have fun with also......

Quote Originally Posted by zuluwarrior0760 View Post
    I've had lots of speakers, but my current pair might be with me the rest of my life......

Magnepan 3.7

Not that I might not buy some more to have fun with also......
    Dynaudio C2 Platinum in Mocca Finish, just ordered a pair should have them next week and I could see keeping these as my main staple speaker. I am also with you on Magnepans, love the 3.7 but since I just bought the Dynaudios the 1.7 I have I don't think I will get rid of either. I am sure I will dabble with many other monitors over the years but those 2 are not going anywhere.

I have a stacked QUAD 57 pair I built in 1978 and still use them to this day. Never wanted to change. I built them using the Mark Levinson HQD as a model (see article on Stereophile), but my tweeter is the T1 Sequerra instead of the Decca he used. In order to play a little louder than a standard QUAD 57, I made a modification in the speakers and it seems, after 36 plus years, none of them have a had a single failure. The mod consists basically on separating the mid frequencies (around 600Hz and above) to be played by the mid panels, and the low frequencies (below 600Hz) for the bass panels. And for the frequencies below 100Hz, a subwoofer does the job. Yes, it needs 4 amplifiers (all tube, except for the subwoofer) and a high level preamp with a frequency divisor (I use passive filters) to separate the frequencies. It is more complicated than the standard power amp + speaker, but the result is incredible. Nothing can play middle frequencies like the old QUAD 57 and high frequencies like a ribbon tweeter. From time to time, I wanted a higher output level (I like jazz and classical) and have experienced quite a few dynamic speakers, only to return to my old QUADs. I use a Futterman H3aa pair (I purchsed it directly from Mr Futterman - he was building these amplifers by hand at the time - mid 80´s) to play low frequencies in the bass panels and the result is jaw dropping. Yes, I also have a pair of QUAD 63, but they never matched the old stacked QUADs.

Cheers,

A lot of pretty great speakers mentioned so far. Interesting to see the diversity of small and large panels, small and large dynamics, horns, and omni-directionals. MBL if you have the space to do them justice can be pretty spectacular. I heard a set of custom horns (big ones) in Hong Kong that was one of the finest speakers I've heard. Better than any production horn I've heard - but they are just so big. I think with these threads I would answer big room and small/medium room - HA - then you can give two answers. I would take the big horns in the big room simply because my preference is for SET amplifiers and I've not heard a SS amp or PP tube amp that I think I could live with. Great speakers will merely tell me more about why I don't care for those amps all that much. So a big ole horn Western Electric kind of deal would probably be it for me. Although I find them all to be generally hideous looking.

For the small/medium room I will go with Audio Note. I bought the AN J's ten years ago finding them to pretty much trounce everything in their size class. Then became a reviewer - heard pretty much everything since then and couldn't say that anything really changed my view. Although at least I heard a lot more significant sounding speakers I still came away saying - yes but it's 3-10 times more expensive. Moving to Hong Kong buying the KEF LS-50 but that wasn't going to be a long term solution - so I wound up with the near entry level AN E/Lexus. I tried to alter course re-listening to Quad 2905, Magnepan 1.7, 20.1, Dynaudio Countours, Focal Utopia, Legacy, Revel B&W, more KEFs, Zu Audio, ATC, Sonus Faber, Paradigm, Teresonic, DeVore, Trenner and Freidl, Gallo, Spendor, Magico, Tannoy, Vivid Audio, SandersSound, Harbeth, Reference 3a, McIntosh, PMC, Canton, TAD, YG Acoustics, Avantgarde, Soundlab, Martin Logan, MBL, Wilson Audio, Wilson Benesch, JBL, Coincident Technologies, Ensemble, KingSound, Acoustic Zen, Von Gaylord, and numerous others. It would be a stretch to say I couldn't live with many of these speakers because I think I could. Especially the Higher efficiency varieties but the AN E for me is like the favorite pair of slippers. What I like about them - their unique presentation - is difficult now to live without. The AN E/Spx Alnico Hemp is the model that I lust for but they will come in time as the entry model is always upgradeable at a later date. In a large room I'd move to big single driver and or horns but in a normal room for me the AN E (specifically the E/Spx Alnico Hemp) is still the king of the hill.

Attached Images Attached Images

Richard, curious what kind of stands are you using?

I use the AN E stands. I have had numrous recommendations to fill them and with what to fill them and some find it all sounds much better without being filled at all. I should think it would depend on the positioning. Filled works for me. But my room is concrete and I have them up against the back wall which is half covered in acoustic foam. With a wooden home with plaster walls and carpeting then this might change.

for me, and this would still have to be the best speaker i have heard,
    Verity Audio lohengrin

I still believe that the ATL approach used by PMC provides a superior sound compared to sealed and bass reflex systems, regardless of brand or price..
    McIntosh MC462, MDA200, MCT500 -Apple Music iPad- PMC MB2 Se - Klipsch Palladium P-37F / P-312W- Clarus Crimson

Yet to hear better than active ATC 3 ways

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

For me, it would be the Salon 2's.

They are a perfectly balanced speaker, amazing on and off axis. They just don't do anything wrong, and that's a high compliment.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    For me, it would be the Salon 2's.

They are a perfectly balanced speaker, amazing on and off axis. They just don't do anything wrong, and that's a high compliment.
    +1 Neutral and transparent. They play soft, loud, detailed, excellent imaging, ultra smooth treble and deep bass. No weak points, IMO.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B Good View Post
    Verity Audio lohengrin

Johnny, heard these speakers at CES. They sounded outstanding from around the corner and in the same room being driven by Lamm. I was pleasantly surprised how good they were and came back the next day to hear them.

Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B Good View Post
    Verity Audio lohengrin
    This seems to be the overwhelming consensus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

After I hear Ian's M Projects, I have no doubts it will be them.

Acoustical Systems, AMG, Aqua Acoustic Quality, Audeze, Audio Desk, Audible illusions, Audioquest, Aurender, Bryston, CH Precision, Chord Electronics, Constellation Audio, Dynaudiol, Fyne Audio, Grado labs, Ikeda, JL Audio, Kondo, Kronos, Kubala Sosna, Lumin, Luxman, Lyra, Magico, Nordost, PS Audio, Roon, Shunyata, SME, Sugden, Tenor, Tannoy, Vertere, VPI and ZYX.

www.audiobymarkjones.ca

Raidho D4, if they ever appear!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Jones View Post
    After I hear Ian's M Projects, I have no doubts it will be them.
    +1
    Or Q5
    Or taking WAF out, Maggie 20.7

If I didn't have to use them to review gear, I'd go for a big pair of Sound Labs.

Quote Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
    If I didn't have to use them to review gear, I'd go for a big pair of Sound Labs.
    That's my man Jeff going big or going home!

I just really love ESL's but not practical for everything. If I was going to write reviews forever, these Dynaudio Evidence Platinums would fill the bill, maybe some GamuT RS9s, or a big pair of Focals. SF Aida's were nice too.

Big Focals..

Definitely.

Honestly, I could live happily ever after with a mint pair of Acoustat 2+2s....

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

It's nice to see you again Jeff !
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

If somebody were to tell me that I'd have to live with a set of Rosso Fiorentino Florentia's from this point moving forward, I suppose I'd find a way to live with em'.

After getting divorced and buying a much larger house (and winning the mega-lottery along the way), I'd go for the MBL Extremes.
    B&W803D3; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Sennheiser HD800S and AudezeLCD-XC headphones

Quote Originally Posted by Bachtoven View Post
    After getting divorced and buying a much larger house (and winning the mega-lottery along the way), I'd go for the MBL Extremes.
    The MBL Extreme would be a "died and gone to heaven" speaker!

Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

I'm not gonna talk about my own speakers cause that's tiring, so I'll have to go with the Voxativ, definitely the best speakers I ever heard. Also the most expensive and not necessarily the most practical, but wow.

Available in Transparent:

Or litteraly as work of art:
    Manufacturer of
    ICOS Audio, complete active systems, amplifiers, DACs and CD-players

Importer of
    Antipodes Audio music servers and cables

In our Paris showroom, music lovers are welcome to experience the multi-awarded Dedicace, a five-way active system equipped with:
    - Antipodes DX music server
    - Antipodes Audio Kokiri AES cable, Reference InterConnect (2x) and Komako speakers (2.5 pairs)
    - Legato Power Cables (3x)

To these ears, I could live with a number of speakers that do justice to music....MacIntosh or MBL certainly doesn't do it for ME. My favorites are the top Vandersteens, or Maggies..Thiels (haven't heard the new Thiels)..even though they sound so different, they bring music to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Julot View Post
    I'm not gonna talk about my own speakers cause that's tiring, so I'll have to go with the Voxativ, definitely the best speakers I ever heard. Also the most expensive and not necessarily the most practical, but wow.

Available in Transparent:

Or litteraly as work of art:
    Interesting unit. What are the specs and dimension ? Oh...and Price ?
    Paul

Magico V3..

Sense..
    • File Type: jpg 13.jpg (106.7 KB, 297 views)

AMP:Norma Revo IPA-140. CD PLAYER:Denon DCD S1. LP:Rotel RP-850 PICKUP: Denon DL-110 MC SPEAKERS: Sense Acoustic mk-3(DIY) CABLES: Sense Signal/Speaker Redline/Reference/Statement RCA/XLR Cabels.
    TV: Philips BDP-9500 and LG-52"

Mains filter and cables are DIY.

Audioshark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Allen

Zellaton Statements

Do you know the price?

Sense..

AMP:Norma Revo IPA-140. CD PLAYER:Denon DCD S1. LP:Rotel RP-850 PICKUP: Denon DL-110 MC SPEAKERS: Sense Acoustic mk-3(DIY) CABLES: Sense Signal/Speaker Redline/Reference/Statement RCA/XLR Cabels.
    TV: Philips BDP-9500 and LG-52"

Mains filter and cables are DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Interesting unit. What are the specs and dimension ? Oh...and Price ?
    Voxativ makes their own drive, in Berlin. They are made of wood, of all matters.

This speaker is actually a flat-ish horn, as you may have guessed from the transparent one. There's only one, fullrange, active drive, with very high sensitivity. When I asked last spring in Munich, the price of the black unit was a low low 192k€ . Stil, to me it was the best sound in the show, if not the best value (they used their own electronics and TOTALDAC digital sources).

This drive unit is active, i.e. the magnet is replaced by a coil, with a battery power supply, and an engine made of permadur...

Dimensions: 47 x 55 x 7.5", i.e. 120 x 140 X 19 cmn, 70kg/155lbs

A really good fullrange speaker is interesting because you can dispense with crossovers altogether. We at ICOS only make a 5 way active system because no fullrange speaker would properly reproduce both treble and bass, and we don't like crossovers and capacitors, but this one feels like a possible game changer. One of these days we'll try their OEM drives see if we can do something good and expensive.

Check out their website:
    Loudspeakers - Voxativ Loudspeakers
    Manufacturer of
    ICOS Audio, complete active systems, amplifiers, DACs and CD-players

Importer of
    Antipodes Audio music servers and cables

In our Paris showroom, music lovers are welcome to experience the multi-awarded Dedicace, a five-way active system equipped with:
    - Antipodes DX music server
    - Antipodes Audio Kokiri AES cable, Reference InterConnect (2x) and Komako speakers (2.5 pairs)
    - Legato Power Cables (3x)

At 100DB goes down to 25HZ with one driver ? Impressive.

Technical data:

Frequency response 25 - 20.000 Hz
    Driver VOXATIV AC-Xp
    Efficiency 100 dB / 1W / 1 m
    Capacity 50 W sinus

Dimensions (W x H x D) 120 x 140 x 19 cm / 47 x 71 x 7,5"
    Weight 70 kg / 155 lbs
    Paul

As for me, when I buy a component, support is just as important as performance. I only buy brands that are already successes in the market.

Wilson Audio Sophia 1

Make sure you try the Acoustat DD OTL tube amps with these before you die. Those make the Acoustats sing like no other amp can. Those transformers veils the sound tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by ozarktom View Post
    Make sure you try the Acoustat DD OTL tube amps with these before you die. Those make the Acoustats sing like no other amp can. Those transformers veils the sound tremendously.
    What about RAM's new DD amps?
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

You mean when they work?
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

I had Acoustats many years ago.....one of them caught fire and nearly burned the house down. I understand that was a common complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    What about RAM's new DD amps?
    That should work fantastic also.

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
    You mean when they work?
    I sold two used pair back in the early 80's. Last year one of those people had a breakdown on one of the amps and asked me for help. He found me on Facebook. He sent the amp to Roy Esposito and had it fixed. After 32 years of constantly using them, one breakdown. The other person still uses his everyday and never has had a problem.

There is a good reason you never see them used. Nobody wants to sell them. There is a guy in OKC that will modify the amps and make them very reliable and sound even better.

I sold two used pair back in the early 80's. Last year one of those people had a breakdown on one of the amps and asked me for help. He found me on Facebook. He sent the amp to Roy Esposito and had it fixed. After 32 years of constantly using them, one breakdown. The other person still uses his everyday and never has had a problem.

There is a good reason you never see them used. Nobody wants to sell them. There is a guy in OKC that will modify the amps and make them very reliable and sound even better.
    I think if you go back and read the reviews of the day, the DD amps were noxiously unreliable and broke down all the time. There's a reason Accoustat abandoned the DD amps. And their later ss amplifier sounded dreadful on their speakers
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
    I think if you go back and read the reviews of the day, the DD amps were noxiously unreliable and broke down all the time. There's a reason Accoustat abandoned the DD amps. And their later ss amplifier sounded dreadful on their speakers
    I am very aware of what went wrong with Acoustat, I was the fifth largest dealer in the USA back then. Sure, in the early years of the servo amps Acoustat had problems, but by 1982, Roy Esposito, Acouststs top engineer had figured out the problems and was modding the amps for $300 for the pair if you sent them to Acoustat. The mod made them very reliable.

Acoustats Jim Strickland flew up to my place one time for a visit. He walked in my shop and I had the pair of the used Acoustat Monitor III's I told you about earlier. It looked like he had seen a ghost when he saw those. He looked at me and told me point blank, get rid of them. Acoustat and Strickland knew they had sold out to the devil with those transformers. It was all about the big bucks and nothing else. Acoustat deserved to go out of business.

Roger Modjeski still uses the Acoustats, but uses his own personally designed amp. RM can design it for the Quads also, that will bypass their transformers and make them sound much more open and quicker.

Of the speakers that I have heard- Wilson Alexia's or Magnepan 20.7's

For a speaker that I have not heard- Apogee Grands

The Grand
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

If you had to choose only ONE pair of speakers for rest of your life ...