Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Any Sasha2 reports? Looking for opinions ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    I listened to it for 3 hours last night partnered with Brinkmann Balance, Lyra, Aesthetix and Nordost. What would you like to know?

Like your web site a lot.
    Paul

Super Moderator

+1

Very well done!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMcIntosh View Post
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMcIntosh View Post
    Thank you Paul and Joe, appreciate it!
    PERFECT SENSE
    www.perfect-sense.se

Showroom in Stockholm, Sweden | info@perfect-sense.se | 08 518 368 00 | Follow us on Facebook

I will post pictures when they arrive. Just like hearing peoples impressions of the Sashas (positive or negative) and understanding what they are comparing them to (Alexias, or other brands) and what they are pairing them with. I'll be starting with a complete auralic stack of VEGA DAC, Taurus Pre Amp and Merak Mono blocks. arualic.com

I use an antipodes DX Reference audio server as a source with all Audioquest: Diamond USB, Niagra XLR's, and WildWood Speaker cable.

Can't wait for the Sasha's to arrive.

Anyone have listen the Wilson (Sasha or others) with MCINTOSH amplifier?

is a bad match or what?

thank you

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by db33 View Post

is a bad match or what?

thank you
    I owned the Wilson Alexia's and the McIntosh 601's and 275's. Both were excellent, but if you are looking for "fast, dry sounds" as you put in your other post, then look elsewhere.

Given this, I think the Hegel h30 is really the amp to try. It is very fast, but I wouldn't call it "dry", but certainly not "wet" as you say like pass or Mc.

If you heard the H30 and liked it....then that's the direction to continue.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I used to have Sasha's with MC601's and at one time an MC303. McIntosh is a poor choice for Sasha's. McIntosh isn't resolving enough. They sounded like someone put a sheet coated with mud in front of my speakers. When I first heard the Boulder amp with Sasha's I was blown away at how clean, crisp and clear they sounded. McIntosh sounded dull with little speed and details. They had lots of power and would play seriously loud -- lots of impact and thump, just the timing and detail of it all was lacking.

I'd look elsewhere if you're considering McIntosh and you own Sasha's. If you own McIntosh and are considering Sasha's, you probably already know they pair well with B&W. If you're looking for a recommendation, for the money Ayre matches great with Sasha's; for the money they sound great and are relatively a bargain.

is a bad match or what?

thank you
    Ref System: Wilson Alexx on Stillpoint Ultras w/Base, dCS Rossini & Upsampler & Clock, Audio Research REF 160S, REF 6SE, WW Platinum Everywhere, Roon
    Office System: B&W N802D2, NAD M10
    Living Room System: B&W N804D, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10
    Bedroom: Dynaudio Focus 160, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10

Hello radioactive,
    thank you for your reply.
    I have the sasha2.

I go replace the Pass Xa100.5 with:
    always Pass Xa series (likely!)
    tested Accustic Arts AMP monos II (delicate sound, engaging, sweet/fresh...but not as detailed as the Passbals Class A..-> to much?)
    McIntosh BUT as you write confirm what was my fear.....Mc sound good with speakers like Sonus Faber, B&W but not a good match with Wilson)
    Dartzeel Cht8550 !?!?
    D'agostino stereo
    Audio Research 250 monos: great but hot temperatur (more as the Class A) and tuve to replace, space,....uhmm I will a "no problem" amplifier
    Boulder are not so easy to be tested in Europa (well where I life)
    Ayre monos will be very good!
    Constelation new Inspiration series

what is your best choice? ( I do question....stupid! personal taste but your experience?)

Thank you

Sasha2's are closer to Alexia's than Sasha1's. The CST (Convergent Synergy Tweeter) is significantly tamer; I find it also less fatiguing over long listening sessions. However, this "tamer" tweeter changes the balance in terms of what amps are good matches. You can now (probably) get away with "hotter" or "livlier" amps that tend to be on the bright side whereas in the past you'd be cursed for doing so with the titanium tweeter in Sasha1's or other Wilson's with the same type of tweeter. The reverse is also true. While you might have gotten away with an overly warm amp, or one with lesser high frequency emphasis (McIntosh, etc.) you certainly can't do so now.

I've not heard the constellation or Dartzeel amps so take it with that in mind.

Order of preference from what you listed (in my experience and personal opinion) Boulder would be #1, but you can't get Boulder so here's my top 3:
    1. Dagostino Stereo -- best sound quality, however lacking significant power reserves for transients and louder, reference listening, especially in larger rooms.
    2. Ayre Mono's. Only somewhat lesser in terms of sound quality, however they have good quality reserves -- they get pretty hot though.
    3. Pass XA200.8 monos (better bass), then the XA200.5's.

You might be better suited with the Pass amp(s) as that's what you currently have. Especially if you have a Pass preamp. Good luck, finding amps is fun stuff especially when you have your speakers decided!

Bryan

Hello radioactive,
    thank you for your reply.
    I have the sasha2.

I go replace the Pass Xa100.5 with:
    always Pass Xa series (likely!)
    tested Accustic Arts AMP monos II (delicate sound, engaging, sweet/fresh...but not as detailed as the Passbals Class A..-> to much?)
    McIntosh BUT as you write confirm what was my fear.....Mc sound good with speakers like Sonus Faber, B&W but not a good match with Wilson)
    Dartzeel Cht8550 !?!?
    D'agostino stereo
    Audio Research 250 monos: great but hot temperatur (more as the Class A) and tuve to replace, space,....uhmm I will a "no problem" amplifier
    Boulder are not so easy to be tested in Europa (well where I life)
    Ayre monos will be very good!
    Constelation new Inspiration series

what is your best choice? ( I do question....stupid! personal taste but your experience?)

Thank you
    Ref System: Wilson Alexx on Stillpoint Ultras w/Base, dCS Rossini & Upsampler & Clock, Audio Research REF 160S, REF 6SE, WW Platinum Everywhere, Roon

ok......I had the Pass xa100.5 and they are more as enoughfor the Sasha2.
    You have listen the D'agostino Stereo (or the monos) with a Wilson? -> your opinion is that a d'agostino can give pleasure sound with details like a class A amplifier?

I pay the d'agotino stereo (black) the same price from the Pass xa100.8. -> between this two you choice the d'agostino without doubt?

At today I have the premapli Xp20. A Audio Research REF5se can be the next step with the D'agostino or the Xa100.8 .....the REF5se with tube give a sound a like more "likely" but alway "fast" with the Wilson. (I dont will have a sound Mcintosh-Sonus Faber!!)

I hear a lot is people say "my amp has more than enough power for XYZ speakers". I can tell you from my experience, there's almost always room for more power. I've heard Sasha's with amps that have what some would call "way too much power", and the difference between these "overpowered" amps and their lesser-powered siblings (like for instance the Boulder 1060 vs the 2060, or the 'dag stereo's vs the monos, or the xa100.8's vs the XA200.8's, or the MX-R's vs the ... well you get it, I could go on an on -- everyone, from Ayre to VTL has a high powered amp and a lesser powered version) is that the speakers sound better at reference levels with higher-powered amps. Sure, at that level you may only be using 60Watts -- but it's a significant difference in low-end reproduction and headroom. My old Sasha's sung crazy good bass when they were powered by the Boulder 2060 (or heck even the MC601's, but the rest sounded like mud, but I digress). Case-in-point, I listen to my Alexia's now, and I can say the same thing: "I have enough power". But I've heard Alexia's powered by amps with double mine, and the difference is they sounded less stressed, more unrestrained, and cleaner at around 90-92 DB-A. I was shocked at much impact they can produce -- and the room was just a little bigger than mine. Once you've heard the difference you just know.

Ask anyone who's heard the Dag monos and the stereos and they'll tell you they're not the same. The mono's are working less to drive the speakers at higher volumes and that translates to a sound that is less compressed, has more impact and is significantly more enjoyable.

As for your choice between the 'dag stereo or the XA100.8:
    1. One thing you should research is how well your XP20 integrates with the 'dag. I have seen at least one person with the XP20 and 'dag stereo together driving MAXX3's so you're probably ok there.
    2. My guess is that you'll be happier with the XP20 and the XA100.5 combo. I personally don't like to mix preamp and amp manufacturer's.

I've heard the ARC gear (REF250's, and quite a few other's) with Sasha's and while I was impressed, it was more like amused. I can understand why some people like the combination, but I'm not a tube person.

Let your ears tell you what you like the most. Perhaps your dealer will lend you a pair of XA100.8's to have an in-home demo?

ok......I had the Pass xa100.5 and they are more as enoughfor the Sasha2.
    You have listen the D'agostino Stereo (or the monos) with a Wilson? -> your opinion is that a d'agostino can give pleasure sound with details like a class A amplifier?

I pay the d'agotino stereo (black) the same price from the Pass xa100.8. -> between this two you choice the d'agostino without doubt?

At today I have the premapli Xp20. A Audio Research REF5se can be the next step with the D'agostino or the Xa100.8 .....the REF5se with tube give a sound a like more "likely" but alway "fast" with the Wilson. (I dont will have a sound Mcintosh-Sonus Faber!!)

My system is in a living room from around 60m2. -> 10 meters lang and 6 meters wide. the system is the wide and not over the 10 meter placed.
    = 2/3 from the room are for the system then I have a table for "special" dinner and meet friends.... (not good 1 speaker is 1.5-2 meter from the wall and the other sepakers is around in the center of the room 5 meters from the wall or so like that....-> so you have a idea from my situation....

I had the xp20 and the Xa100.5 and the power is enough for the Sasha. I speak from ampere, electricity. 100 Watt in class A are much. I had too a X250.5: the Xa100.5 sound much more powerfull. Damping factor from the Pass is not "to the stars" but is a very good "energie center"!

You can have too a class D, like a Jeff Rowland with a damping factor from 1000!!! -> exemple the little 525.....will be better? I dont think!
    Pass whit the 100.5 give a powerfull sound like no others. Details never heard with amplifier with a lot of watt but without "soul"!: the mid/tweeter is very fine. the LF are controlled.

same brand for pre and amplifier is the right way? 90% is so.
    Audio Research preampli is a good match with Pass. this is sure. With the D'agostino I dont know.
    I've heard the ARC gear (REF250's, and quite a few other's) with Sasha's and while I was impressed, it was more like amused. I can understand why some people like the combination, but I'm not a tube person.
    I 'm too not a full-tube lover.

I read from people that with the combo AR ref5se and ampli ref75 (2x 75watt tube) and Sasha amplifier is very happy and say thati s"enoug"! well so I dont' think too that this power give "passion".....

Mcintosh, with the 452 or the 601, make a lot of "noise" (in the good sense of the word!) but is as you write "mud"...so soft ....not in my taste.
    -> a sound that is compared to the Audio Research system, nearly a tube amplifier.....
    The Mc 452 / 601 are full of watt but they have a damping factor very minimal! Wilson need a ampli that in the first 50watt have a bias, damping factor,..very high! dont need 600 watt!

Sure the monos from dagostino sound different from the stereo version but so much money extra for a dagostino for me dont make sense. for the price from a pair monos Dag i go search in other place. -> Constellation, Soulution....

In europa Dagostino as be "reworked" with new trafos in the "new serie": the first Dagostino ampli were not god. a sound so "flat"...a disarter.
    the new "product" (well are always the same but with the new trafos inside the sound is radical changed: now they are fine.
    Boulder is very "rare" in europa. Strange but true.

I dont need the have a Xa100.8 as demo: xp20 and xa100.5 sound without LF problem to 125 dB. no distrortion.
    nothing Wacky Races of needle in the porthole of Passlabs..
    Xa160.8 will be maybe better but I do not like listening to music at high volume.

At the end I say you that I will go with the Dagostino stereo (and I go test this ine with the preampli AR ref5se) or the Xa100.8-> this last before with te Xp20.

Ayre monos I liked very much. I have to find a dealer that can 'provide these devices in my paese.non is so simple.but this 3 brands (Passlabs/Dagostino and Ayre) are my "future"

Ps. Accuphase with Wilson I dont have necer listen but I think they are not a good match! -> the preampli 2420 with the A70?

thak you for all info and your point of view!

FWIW, my Sophia 3 sound very good with an all McIntosh system (mcd1100, c500T, MC501s) with Transparent Ref XL (MM2) cabling. No mud here. Synergy is king. McIntosh will never be accused of being hyper-detailed. They typically have a "smooth"sonic signature, especially the older amps like mine, but never veiled, at least not my system or my ears. I am very pleased with Mcintosh-Wilson pairing. Personally, I don't like B&W speakers whether or not driven by Mcintosh.

Since my post, a few people insisted to me that their Alexia's are fine with their low power/current amps. Don't take my word for it, take a look at John Atkinson's comment at "Wilson Audio Specialties Alexia loudspeaker | Stereophile.com" , where he states:

""Okay, Martin describes the Alexia's impedance on p.15 of the Jan/Feb/Mar 2013 issue. His impedance curves (on p.17) look very similar to my fig.1. His minimum impedance was 1.8 ohms at 80Hz with a -20 degree phase angle and he also mentions the impedance at 60Hz as being 2.5 ohms with a -42 degree phase angle. (Martin uses the Clio system for his speaker measurements.)

So neither Martin's nor my measurements indicate that the Alexia's impedance is quite as punishing as Keith's, though yes, the Alexia _must_ be driven by an amplifier that isn't fazed by low impedances. As I wrote in my review, the Alexia "demands quite a lot of current from the partnering amplifier.

The context is in disambiguation of HIFI News' measurements of the Alexias and an EPDR (The combind phase and impedance) at 65Hz of 0.9 ohms! FWIW, John and Martin Colloms from The HiFi Critic had measurements that indicated the Alexia's weren't "as punishing" as that from HIFI News -- though their's were in the 1.8-2.26 range. Somewhat better but still an indicator that the Alexia's require lots of good clean current.

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by radioactive View Post
    Since my post, a few people insisted to me that their Alexia's are fine with their low power/current amps. Don't take my word for it, take a look at John Atkinson's comment at "Wilson Audio Specialties Alexia loudspeaker | Stereophile.com" , where he states:

""Okay, Martin describes the Alexia's impedance on p.15 of the Jan/Feb/Mar 2013 issue. His impedance curves (on p.17) look very similar to my fig.1. His minimum impedance was 1.8 ohms at 80Hz with a -20 degree phase angle and he also mentions the impedance at 60Hz as being 2.5 ohms with a -42 degree phase angle. (Martin uses the Clio system for his speaker measurements.)

So neither Martin's nor my measurements indicate that the Alexia's impedance is quite as punishing as Keith's, though yes, the Alexia _must_ be driven by an amplifier that isn't fazed by low impedances. As I wrote in my review, the Alexia "demands quite a lot of current from the partnering amplifier.

The context is in disambiguation of HIFI News' measurements of the Alexias and an EPDR (The combind phase and impedance) at 65Hz of 0.9 ohms! FWIW, John and Martin Colloms from The HiFi Critic had measurements that indicated the Alexia's weren't "as punishing" as that from HIFI News -- though their's were in the 1.8-2.26 range. Somewhat better but still an indicator that the Alexia's require lots of good clean current.

Bryan
    Since I respect all three guys measurements, why should there be any difference?
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
    Since I respect all three guys measurements, why should there be any difference?
    Very astute point Miles.

I can think of a couple of reasons for the difference:

1. How they accounted for the length of cable used to connect the speaker to their measuring gear. Different cable, no cable accounted for, etc. If this is the culprit, it highlights the necessity of taking into account all variables when conducting measurements.
    2. Different measuring suites producing different results.
    3. Quality control issues between samples provided to the evaluator. I didn't look to see if they all had the same serial numbered pair to evaluate. As a Wilson customer and believer in their products, I hope this is not the case -- I even doubt it, but who knows. I do know that every pair they produce are "tuned" to match each other, suggesting that they try to account for slight differences in drivers. There is still an art to this and I doubt that every pair measures exactly the same. There are some very subtle differences due to manufacturing processes and tolerances. The smaller the tolerance, the higher the costs. At some point at an engineering level the break-even point between cost and performance is determined.

Perhaps someone has other insight and can share with the group?

Bryan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Any Sasha2 reports? Looking for opinions ...