Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

I have a question about the pound sign

1. pound sign = # = hashtag (which is a programmer term and some freaking how has morphed into current-speak-as-cool-and-twitter-related)
    2. I am not a twitter/tweeter user other than my loudspeakers that contain them

On my local news they have been reporting a larger than normal number of hit and runs. Vehicle and pedestrian collisions.

Well, let me back up....there have been a couple of years in the past where there were crazy numbers of hit and runs in the Denver metro area. This year there are a number of them (not the highest numbers like past years to the best of my knowledge), and the news media is trying to bring to light the overall problem. I get that, this is a good thing. However.....

Most every night (with any new hit and run news) they are clamoring on about "bringing awareness to the hit and run problem by using #juststop".

Question: How does this help anyone?
    Question: Seriously, please help me understand how anyone sitting at home can do something like typing in poundjuststop that does anything helpful.
    Question: If somebody that witnesses an actual hit and run types in poundjuststop into their phone does it call the cops? Does it call the news station?
    Question: What am I not understanding about the current culture when I hear, "type in poundXXXXXXX", what does this tell somebody to do and what are the results?
    Question: Why would I want to type in poundanything?

I'm being serious here.....
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Re: I have a question about the pound sign

Are you a Facebook's and Twitter's regular?
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

No Bob, I am not.

edit: If I were, then how would typing in the #juststop help anyone?

I just don't understand how "bringing awareness to a problem" can actually work if the general population has to themselves type in some special message to get, what.....a secret answer or help?

I can understand if the TV station were to blast email communications to their subscribers to "just stop" along with helpful info and tips and phone numbers and that's one thing....ah, maybe if you type that in, they reverse email you (or twitter you?) with pertinent info?

Again, I'm just trying to understand how this works.
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Me neither Mike. ...I just thought that a younger generation is into that kind of stuff; pound sign and all. ...#No?
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

The power of the hashtag will compel morally bankrupt perps from abstaining from the run part after hitting someone. By seeing it pop up on their tweety machines, they will all of a sudden develop a moral back bone and actually stop after getting into an accident and call 911 and wait for the police and EMS to show up.

Of course, I am being sarcastic and agreeing with the exasperated nature of your question.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

im also not sure about that whole hashtag thing, i dont twit either. but i hear it on commercials and things now. hashtag to me would be something thats only legal in colorado. lol.
    but im a #1= number one if its before the number, and 1#=1 pound if its after the number.
    the rest is just weird, and no younger people understand the # meaning pound anymore from what ive noticed.
    and yes the colorado "just stop" thing is weird as well. dont think it will quite catch on like the "just say no" thing did.
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

The only thing I can figure on the hashtag thing is that:

it is a way for the tv program that says to # something to show that people are actually watching them in order to charge more to advertisers.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

I'm going to make a judgmental statement, so no one needs to tell me I'm being judgmental.

ALL THE SOCIAL MEDIA CRAP IS JUST THAT. CRAP.

IT DOES NOTHING, HAS NO VALUE AND WOULD ONLY BE A WASTE OF MY TIME.

IT MAKES MONEY FOR IP's BY TAKING IT OUT OF YOUR POCKETS.

I AM NOT A PART OF IT AND DO NOT ANTICIPATE EVER BEING A PART OF IT.

I DO NOT EVEN WANT TO BE SO "CONNECTED".

IT'S NOTHING MORE THAN GIVING AWAY YOUR PRIVACY.

FINALLY, Mike, does anybody really care about the car crashes on the news. IT ISN'T NEWS. Those sorts of things only matter to the few people involved. After their crashes, everybody returns to the continuing tragedy of their everyday lives anyway. Just because shit happens, that doesn't make it news.

One more thing. Nobody needs to tell me, I know, I am a cynic.
    Listening Room: McIntosh C46, MEN220, MCD500, MR78-Modafferi modified, MPI4, MC602 (2), Pass Labs XVR1 (three-way), tri-amplified Infinity IRS Series V, TailTwister T2X rotator, AtlasSound FMA Rack, dedicated electrical sub-panel, NO TV!

Living Room: McIntosh C28, MC2300, Revox B226, Tascam CD355, Thorens TD125 MKII w/vacuum platter, Rabco SL-8E, Grace F9-E, McIntosh ML-2C (2) & ML-1C (4) stacked, MQ-107, SAE 2800, Nakamichi Dragon, Tandberg 64X, JL Audio f113 (2), NO TV!

In a reply to each of your shouts:
    Most of it is, some of it isn't.
    It does, and has.
    You pockets are getting picked far cleaner for other reasons.
    Yes you are - even if you think you aren't.
    Main: McIntosh XRT1K MDA1000 MC402 | JL F113 | M2Tech HiFace | WireWorld Cabling | RGPC1200C | PPP
    Office: Bel Canto S300iu 24/96 | KEF LS50 | REL R218 | WW Mini Eclipse | 6.3 TB Media Server
    Mobile: McIntosh MX406 MDA5000 MCD4000 MCC420M | JM Lab/Focal Utopia

I'm glad I'm not alone with the misunderstanding.
    Avanti Audio

I understand completely ...but when did // (slash slash) become whack whack ?
    MAIN RIG: Equipment: Marantz SR4023 as Pre / Velleman K4040 Tube Power Amp / Yamaha M65 Power Amp / Polk Monitor 70's with Polk Sub / ClearAudio Concept table with Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Stage and ClearAudio Concept MC cart /Pioneer PL500 TT with AT440MLa

Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Maybe not Relevant but the Pound Sterling --Brit Dosh mate! to type is Opt-3

Sorry resume normal trans!

B

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team