Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Soulution 710 vs. Constellation Centaur

Has anyone compared the Soulution 710 stereo amp to Constellation Centaur stereo amp? I realize one is rated at 120W vs. 250W,as well as price difference. Sound wise are they close or are they totally two different animals.
    Gryphon Essence stereo amp and preamp/dac Hurricane power cords
    Fyne Audio F1-10, Lumin T2, Moon 260 Transport
    Shunyata Research Everest, Sigma V2 XC,
    Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
    Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects

Completely different sound, night and day from each other.

But I believe the 7 Series may be updated soon, so the sound could be changing.

So is one better than other?

I'm not sure subjective words like "better" are appropriate when comparing certain models (or brands) of high end gear. Would Joe say that his new Momentum is "better" than his darTZeel? Not to put words in his mouth, but I imagine they're both excellent products which are very different from each other. Like a Porsche vs a Mercedes sedan.

Constellation provides a warmer sound, although still with plenty of detail. Whether you prefer that to Soulution will depend on your tastes and, to some extent, speaker choice.

These are certainly two of the best manufacturers of solid state products that I've heard. Maybe the best, but I haven't heard everything out there. I love Soulution personally.

Super Moderator
    Hi Jon

It's funny you mention Dartzeel vs Dagostino. I've been thinking about this dilemma and while I think the Dartzeel is a better amp overall, I may have to admit my Dagostino sounds a little better on my TADs - for my preference. I am not sure I'll make sense but here goes. The Dartzeel has more details without being harsh. The Dartzeel has an amazing ability to get out of the way and let everything through without changing it. Because of what I hear on my TADs, for my preference, the Dagostino ever so slightly rolls off the treble making the more unforgiving recordings more listenable. BUT, when the source it perfect or nearly there, OMG! The Dartzeel just does it for me. The D'Agostino has little more thicknes or fullness that works great on some music but not so well on other music. I'm learning you can't have it all. Yet!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Hi Jon

It's funny you mention Dartzeel vs Dagostino. I've been thinking about this dilemma and while I think the Dartzeel is a better amp overall, I may have to admit my Dagostino sounds a little better on my TADs - for my preference. I am not sure I'll make sense but here goes. The Dartzeel has more details without being harsh. The Dartzeel has an amazing ability to get out of the way and let everything through without changing it. Because of what I hear on my TADs, for my preference, the Dagostino ever so slightly rolls off the treble making the more unforgiving recordings more listenable. BUT, when the source it perfect or nearly there, OMG! The Dartzeel just does it for me. The D'Agostino has little more thicknes or fullness that works great on some music but not so well on other music. I'm learning you can't have it all. Yet!
    A very expensive sounding word
    Michael

Magico S5s; PASS Labs Xs150s and Xs preamplifier; Lumin A1; Synergistic Research Galileo LE Powercell, Galileo LE speaker cables and interconnects, Galileo LE Analog and Digital power cords, Transporter Ultra SE, Tranquility Bases, MiGs, HFTs, XOTs, FEQ, Vibratron and Bass Station.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mdkim View Post
    A very expensive sounding word
    True. But I love what I have.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

True. But I love what I have.
    And we love you for it Joe
    Michael

Magico S5s; PASS Labs Xs150s and Xs preamplifier; Lumin A1; Synergistic Research Galileo LE Powercell, Galileo LE speaker cables and interconnects, Galileo LE Analog and Digital power cords, Transporter Ultra SE, Tranquility Bases, MiGs, HFTs, XOTs, FEQ, Vibratron and Bass Station.

Super Moderator
    Thanks Michael.

Based on Jon's description above and before I rudely () derailed this thread, I'd lean towards the Constellation gear.

I can't handle the truth.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Then I would definitely sell the Momentum gear and buy Constellation if I were you.

But that's me, I'm an aggressive gambler. Mr. Vegas.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by VT Skier View Post
    Then I would definitely sell the Momentum gear and buy Constellation if I were you.

But that's me, I'm an aggressive gambler. Mr. Vegas.
    Seven come eleven, baby needs new shoes.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I'm not sure subjective words like "better" are appropriate when comparing certain models (or brands) of high end gear. Would Joe say that his new Momentum is "better" than his darTZeel? Not to put words in his mouth, but I imagine they're both excellent products which are very different from each other. Like a Porsche vs a Mercedes sedan.

Constellation provides a warmer sound, although still with plenty of detail. Whether you prefer that to Soulution will depend on your tastes and, to some extent, speaker choice.

These are certainly two of the best manufacturers of solid state products that I've heard. Maybe the best, but I haven't heard everything out there. I love Soulution personally.

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the helpful insight between the two. The good thing though is we got Joe's wheel turning about amps.

John

Super Moderator

NAD C 658 streamer.

Well, if Joe were Dewey Oxburger there would already be an ad for that Momentum gear on Mike's beautiful site.

Sadly, he is not Mr. Vegas. And the world seems poorer for it.

Super Moderator
    Well, if Joe were Dewey Oxburger there would already be an ad for that Momentum gear on Mike's beautiful site.

Sadly, he is not Mr. Vegas. And the world seems poorer for it.
    Hahahahah!

I still need to get the Dagostino preamp in the mix and compare like combos and see where that that takes me.

Dewey Oxburger: My name's Dewey Oxburger. My friends call me Ox. You might have noticed that, uh, I've got a slight weight problem.
    Soldiers: Nooo! Noooo!
    Dewey Oxburger: Yeah, yeah I do. Yeah, I do. I went to this doctor. Well, he told me I swallow a lot of aggression... along with a lot of pizzas! Ha Ha Ha! Pizzas! I'm basically a shy person, I'm a shy guy. Uh, he suggested taking one these uh, aggression training courses. You know these aggression training courses like EST, those type of things. Anyway, it cost 400 bucks! 400 bucks to join this thing? Well I didn't have the money and I thought to myself, "Join the army"! It's free. So I figured while I'm here I'll lose a few pounds. And you got what, a 6 to 8 week training program here? A real tough one. Which is perfect for me.
    [Looks around at all the soldiers and gestures emphatically]
    Dewey Oxburger: I'm going to walk out of here a Lean, Mean, Fightin' Machine! Ha ha ha ha!
    Last edited by joeinid; April 22, 2013 at 01:14 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I can't believe you didn't get the reference the first time. You need to watch "Stripes" again.

And "Uncle Buck."

Super Moderator

NAD C 658 streamer.

Seriously? You really don't remember the scene where Dewey is teaching Cruiser how to play poker?

Super Moderator
    That was a funny movie.

Last edited by joeinid; April 22, 2013 at 01:50 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Re: Soulution 710 vs. Constellation Centaur

Thanks Michael.

Based on Jon's description above and before I rudely () derailed this thread, I'd lean towards the Constellation gear.

I can't handle the truth.

Jack Nicholson - You can't handle the truth - YouTube

Super Moderator

NAD C 658 streamer.

Soon 710 will came in a new design - "MK II" will use SMPS like 501 and 530.

And it will have a sound character like 501 and 530 - a smoother easier to like sound.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Will you give us some pictures; inside and out?

* See, now you can post again; with total freedom.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

I will post inside pictures of the new design when available.

GFDS 41-SOULUTION0003.jpg
    But for now a bad picture of 710 with the new speaker terminals.

Why does the picture gets so small when uploaded from my computer?
    Last edited by wizard; April 27, 2013 at 02:49 AM.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Because everything is not up to 'normality' yet.

You got to roll with the flow, adapt, yin and yang, sh!t happens!
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

710 measurements from an Italian magazine:

Power output - 135-270 watt in 8/4 ohms THD 1%

Output current max - 85A
    Output voltage cont. in 8/4/2 ohms - 35/32/30V
    Freq. Response - 0-200k -0,1dB
    Damping factor in 8 ohm
    100 Hz - 6900
    1 kHz - 5650
    10 kHz - 12435
    Slew rate in 8 ohm - up 170V, down 200V
    S/N - 117 dB Aw

Audioshark

Bump!
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

Ha!

So true.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks Joe, you just made me laugh out loud & my wife wanted to know who it was, she knows I'm on the shark. I'm yet to hear the Constellation , would really like to. The Soulution need something more than average to get it!

Super Moderator

I'm here for you Kev. Anything I can do to make you happy is worth it.

NAD C 658 streamer.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Soulution  710 vs. Constellation Centaur