Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: BAT Vk-51se

BAT Vk-51se

I just bought and received a BAT VK-51se preamp to replace my Pass Labs X1 preamp. It is paired with my Pass X250 amp and Magnepain 1.6's. The BAT sounds awesome. My 22 y/o budding audiophile son stated that the BAT truly sounds Hi End compared to the X1. I have to agree. The BAT is more musical and has more detail, resolution, depth and texture. Bass is not quite as deep and the X1 has more air and a slightly wider SS. But the bass is tighter with the BAT. I fixed the air and bass by swapping tubes in my DAC.

I had to buy new tubes as it did not come with tubes. I am using the Electro-Harmonix gold pin 6H30's and they need to break in. I have about 6 hours on them now. I expect the sound to improve in the next 25 hours.

I am putting my X1 preamp up for sale. Any one interested, PM me.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Audioshark

Re: BAT Vk-51se

Congrats!! Like Cary, BAT is really underrated. Tubes in the chain never hurt!

Can we have some pictures?
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

awesome congrats great preamp!!!!! i owned a vk50se and im sure i mentioned that to you already, ive heard the one you bought too and it sounds great!!!! there are upgrades as well, im not 100% sure but in the future i think you can get the super pak upgrade ,which is off the hook good but pricey. best of luck with it.
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Congrats! I've heard that pre with a pair of X600.5's . Very nice combo. Good luck!
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Congrats on the new BAT gear !! Good stuff.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

I've had a number of BAT pieces in my system…amps, preamps and their integrated. I enjoyed them all, but my favorite was the VK75SE.

Unknown.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by BruceLet View Post
    I've had a number of BAT pieces in my system…amps, preamps and their integrated. I enjoyed them all, but my favorite was the VK75SE.

Unknown.jpeg
    oh bruce that is sweet i had a pair of vk60's and a vk75, but i never had the se version.
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Thanks guys! I will post some pic's later this weekend. The BAT is breaking in nicely. The BAT overall sounds better than my Pass X1 preamp but it lacks some of the transparency and air that the X1 has. The X1 also sounds better at low volumes, I am not sure, but it may have something to do with the 6dB drop in gain that I am experiencing because my DAC is single ended and I am having to use an RCA to XLR adapter. The X1 had better low freq detail and bass slam but the BAT has a better midrange and HF detail. Hopefully things will improve when I have a few more hours on the tubes.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Some final thoughts on the BAT.

The BAT has taken my listening experience to new heights and enjoyment. I spend 2-4 hours a day listening to music. The Pass X1 preamp surely improved the sound of my system but not to the extent of the BAT. The music is more palpable, textured and real sounding, especially vocals. I find myself smiling when listening. I am no longer sitting there and critiquing the sound any more. The pairing of the BAT and the Pass X250 amp is a good one and seems like they were made for each other.

I have been tube rolling my DAC and what I have found is that all the tubes sound good, just some are better than others. This was not the case with my Van Alstine preamp and the X1. I am amazed at how the BAT can take a source signal and make it sound so good.

Another thing that I have noticed and am grateful for is that the BAT makes all my recordings sound good, even the poorly recorded ones which is the complete opposite of what some people have said about their high end gear. Most people say that their high end gear exposes the weaknesses of poorly recorded music. This is not so with the BAT. Yes, you will still be able to tell that it is a poor recording but because the BAT adds depth, detail and spacing between instruments, things just sound better. The hint of tube warmth and darkness helps as well. The Pass X1 did this to some extent but I find I am able to listen to some recordings that I did not want to listen to before with the X1 as they were fatiguing.

I am as close to Audio Nirvana as I can get right now. Adding a better DAC (possibly a Bel Canto 3.5 or a PS Audio MKii) and a pair of Magnepan 1.7's or 3.7i's would push me over the edge I think (of course the new BAT VK-53se and a Pass X250.5 would help too).

Super Moderator

Great post. That's what it's all about. Enjoying the music on our systems. I've given up a little resolution for a ton more musicality. I am so glad you are enjoying your music. We'll done.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    Some final thoughts on the BAT.

The BAT has taken my listening experience to new heights and enjoyment. I spend 2-4 hours a day listening to music. The Pass X1 preamp surely improved the sound of my system but not to the extent of the BAT. The music is more palpable, textured and real sounding, especially vocals. I find myself smiling when listening. I am no longer sitting there and critiquing the sound any more. The pairing of the BAT and the Pass X250 amp is a good one and seems like they were made for each other.

I have been tube rolling my DAC and what I have found is that all the tubes sound good, just some are better than others. This was not the case with my Van Alstine preamp and the X1. I am amazed at how the BAT can take a source signal and make it sound so good.

Another thing that I have noticed and am grateful for is that the BAT makes all my recordings sound good, even the poorly recorded ones which is the complete opposite of what some people have said about their high end gear. Most people say that their high end gear exposes the weaknesses of poorly recorded music. This is not so with the BAT. Yes, you will still be able to tell that it is a poor recording but because the BAT adds depth, detail and spacing between instruments, things just sound better. The hint of tube warmth and darkness helps as well. The Pass X1 did this to some extent but I find I am able to listen to some recordings that I did not want to listen to before with the X1 as they were fatiguing.

I am as close to Audio Nirvana as I can get right now. Adding a better DAC (possibly a Bel Canto 3.5 or a PS Audio MKii) and a pair of Magnepan 1.7's or 3.7i's would push me over the edge I think (of course the new BAT VK-53se and a Pass X250.5 would help too).
    wow good write up for sure, adding a tube pre to the mix is always a good thing.
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

BAT Vk-51se