Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Anyone Hear the New .8 Amps Yet

Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
    Ian,

I hope you don't mind me copying your extremely well written post below from another forum. A very descriptive piece.

Thank you Ian and, again, I hope I didn't violate a protocol. I really felt you did a great job with your post and many would appreciate your thoughts.
    No problem - I meant to post those thoughts in this thread too, but I must have got distracted - so thanks!

Someone just used what I think the best word is to describe the bass of the .8's: 'heavy'. It's an asset with some material and an annoyance with others.

I had another audiophile friend over yesterday to compare the two amps. He ran through his own playlist (mostly rock) without knowing which amp was connected (all 4 amps were on and you can't see the connections from the listening chair). We started with the .5's. I then switched them without him looking and he ran through the playlist again. Afterwards I asked him what his thoughts were and this is a summary:

- Neither amps gave him the soundstage depth that he was used to from his own system (and that probably doesn't have anything to do with the amps).
    - He preferred the 2nd amp more overall (.8's) because it has more 'meat on the bones' except for one thing: he preferred the 'treble' of the .5's because it was more present. He didn't know if the more fleshy presentation of the .8's was making the highs stand out less or whether there were less highs.
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods
    Amps: CAT Legend -> CAT JL7s
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon->Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna Elation ICs & SCs / Shunyata Denali 6000T & PC's / Furutech outlets

Anyone Hear the New .8 Amps Yet

Hey guy's

Keep in mind that these are just opinions from two guys that have been around audio for a long time. Both have owned many brands including Pass and one still does. The Pass is definitely not burned in but the flavor of the amp will not change after 500 hours. It will be just an improved version of the Pass sound. As for doing multiple comparisons I think this is the best way. With each change out the differences were the most obvious the first minute of operation. The longer you listened it became harder to tell the differences, at least for me. If this were a race you could throw a blanket over all four brands at the finish line.. It really just comes down to your listening tastes, speakers and listening environment. I think the fact that pass is even mentioned in the same conversation of electronics that cost three times as much speaks volumes for its performance. Just my opinion of course and do not want to offend any owners of these fine brands.
    Design Audio Video is a dealer for:

Electronics:
    Accuphase, Constellation, Pass Labs, McIntosh, Krell, Bryston, Devialet, Mark Levinson, EAR, T+A, Octave

Speakers:
    Raidho, Focal, Revel, Dynaudio, JBL, Sonus Faber

Cables:
    Tara Labs, Shunyata, Nordost, Straightwire, Ansuz, Transparent

Accessories:
    Stillpoints, Quadraspire, Shelter, Transrotor

Audioshark

Well said David.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Well said David.
    +1
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna Elation ICs & SCs / Shunyata Denali 6000T & PC's / Furutech outlets

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Very well said !!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Very well said !!
    +1!

Allen

Say Madfloyd, has the bass on your XA160.8's gotten better with break-in? Any tighter or leaner now?
    Focal Scala V2, Accuphase DP-550, Avid Volvere, SME 309, Benz-Micro Reference Copper S, Accuphase C-37 phono pre, Tara Labs 0.8, Accuphase A-70, Accuphase C-2420 preamp

It's pretty tight, but still very prominent. I've decided to buy it because the midrange is really nice, but I'm hoping to come up with a solution to tame the bass. Hopefully it doesn't require changing speakers or preamp.

Congratulations, Ian. I'll offer to buy the XP30.

Quote Originally Posted by madfloyd View Post
    It's pretty tight, but still very prominent. I've decided to buy it because the midrange is really nice, but I'm hoping to come up with a solution to tame the bass. Hopefully it doesn't require changing speakers or preamp.
    Big congrats!!! That is great news. I feel confident as you get to know your new system, you will find ways to adjust the sound as you like. have you thought about Ultra 5s back underneath the Alexias by any chance? I am sure there are other ways as well.

Again, big congrats!!!
    Speaker: Wilson Audio XLF + Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amp: Robert Koda K15EX + Gryphon Mephisto Stereo

Cable: TA Opus (Gen5) + Sablon Audio Prince (Orange)
    Power: 7 Dedicated Lines Furutech + Torus AVR 16 + Burmester 948 + NordostQX4
    Isolation: Under: SRA+HRS+Stillpoints+Auralex Top: HRS+Artesania+Entreq+EAT+90kg Mass
    Ground/Shield: Tripoint Troy Sig & Thor + Entreq Atlantis / Receivus +Everest+Wrap
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex + Mullard
    Headphone Setup: Sennheiser 650 + Arcam rHead + Apogee Groove

Audioshark

I'm hoping to come up with a solution to tame the bass. Hopefully it doesn't require changing speakers or preamp.
    Ian - add this: http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/20-dual-core.shtml

Thank me later.

Mine worked marvels for taming the bass hump. You don't need to add subs. This by itself worked to tame the bass in my room. It didn't affect dynamics or SQ at all. All good. No bad. Love it!

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Thanks, guys.

Lloyd: I do want to try the Stillpoints under the Alexias again at some point. I now have a bunch of adapters that I'll be able to switch them in/out. Currently I have them under the .8's where I think they made a big improvement but I will probably take them out and see if I wasn't imagining it. I did order some amp stands too.

I'm not in a rush for the Stillpoints under the Alexias because I thought they loosened up the deepest frequencies. But hey, further experimentation is probably warranted.

Peter: you won't get my XP-30 if I trade it in for the XS pre.... (OK, admittedly that won't ever happen )

Ian - add this: DSPeaker-Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core

Thank me later.

Mine worked marvels for taming the bass hump. You don't need to add subs. This by itself worked to tame the bass in my room. It didn't affect dynamics or SQ at all. All good. No bad. Love it!

Mike

Hmm, and you find it transparent with the extra ADC/DAC conversion? How much is the unit?

Audioshark

Hmm, and you find it transparent with the extra ADC/DAC conversion? How much is the unit?
    Absolutely, because only the lower frequencies (150hz down) are "tweaked". I've listened hard and AB for vocals, cymbals, you name it. I heard nothing change - only the bass. If anything, vocals improved because the mid-bass that appears to be a floor/ceiling node in my room wasn't muddying it up.

$1200 USD I believe.

Bass nodes are a buggar to control due to their length. You have the option of very expensive tube traps - which will help some. You can add subs and a crossover - which helps some. Or you can fix the damn problem with this black box.

BEFORE DSPeaker 2.0 Dual Core:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395785308.177314.jpg

AFTER DSPeaker 2.0 Dual Core:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395785347.697076.jpg

Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting. The cost goes up another $8k when you add in an extra pair of interconnects...

Thanks, guys.

Lloyd: I do want to try the Stillpoints under the Alexias again at some point. I now have a bunch of adapters that I'll be able to switch them in/out. Currently I have them under the .8's where I think they made a big improvement but I will probably take them out and see if I wasn't imagining it. I did order some amp stands too.

I'm not in a rush for the Stillpoints under the Alexias because I thought they loosened up the deepest frequencies. But hey, further experimentation is probably warranted.

Peter: you won't get my XP-30 if I trade it in for the XS pre.... (OK, admittedly that won't ever happen )
    Ian - can I make a suggestion perhaps you do NOT try to remove the Stillpoints from under your .8s? The take a bit of time to 'get stuck' underneath...the Distributor thought it might have something to do with the ceramic material...who knows. Just concerned when I have moved equipment on the Stillpoints, fractions matter (ughhh) and it can be a real exercise in patience to get them back exactly as they were.

It's of course your system...I am just saying you've already put yourself thru a lot of trials. If you are convinced they helped .8s...I say let sleeping dogs lie for now. And perhaps just focus on bass taming in speaker placement, isolation underneath...

Isolation: Under: SRA+HRS+Stillpoints+Auralex Top: HRS+Artesania+Entreq+EAT+90kg Mass
    Ground/Shield: Tripoint Troy Sig & Thor + Entreq Atlantis / Receivus +Everest+Wrap

Audioshark

Interesting. The cost goes up another $8k when you add in an extra pair of interconnects...
    What IC's are you using? Gold plated? Stick the dual core next to your preamp and get the shortest run (.5 or 1 meter for shelf below)? I'm using some WW eclipse I had laying around. IC's have the least impact on sound IMO. Get a short Shunyata run and you're set.

Congrats Ian !!

Good luck tuning your system !
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    Ian - can I make a suggestion perhaps you do NOT try to remove the Stillpoints from under your .8s? The take a bit of time to 'get stuck' underneath...the Distributor thought it might have something to do with the ceramic material...who knows. Just concerned when I have moved equipment on the Stillpoints, fractions matter (ughhh) and it can be a real exercise in patience to get them back exactly as they were.

It's of course your system...I am just saying you've already put yourself thru a lot of trials. If you are convinced they helped .8s...I say let sleeping dogs lie for now. And perhaps just focus on bass taming in speaker placement, isolation underneath...
    I will heed your advice - at least until my amp stands arrive in which case I'd have to move them anyway.

Thx.

What IC's are you using? Gold plated? Stick the dual core next to your preamp and get the shortest run (.5 or 1 meter for shelf below)? I'm using some WW eclipse I had laying around. IC's have the least impact on sound IMO. Get a short Shunyata run and you're set.

Transparent Ref XL. They cost a small fortune but I can hear the difference...

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Congrats Ian !!

Good luck tuning your system !
    Thanks, Mark!

Audioshark

Transparent Ref XL. They cost a small fortune but I can hear the difference...
    I didn't think Transparent XLR's were that expensive (compared to their Speaker cable).

Ian

How long do your IC's need to be from pre to amp?
    Design Audio Video is a dealer for:

Electronics:
    Accuphase, Constellation, Pass Labs, McIntosh, Krell, Bryston, Devialet, Mark Levinson, EAR, T+A, Octave

Speakers:
    Raidho, Focal, Revel, Dynaudio, JBL, Sonus Faber

Cables:
    Tara Labs, Shunyata, Nordost, Straightwire, Ansuz, Transparent

Accessories:
    Stillpoints, Quadraspire, Shelter, Transrotor

I will heed your advice - at least until my amp stands arrive in which case I'd have to move them anyway.

Thx.
    Good luck...which amp stands?

Audioshark

Ian - do you have any other IC's you can try?

I didn't think Transparent XLR's were that expensive (compared to their Speaker cable).

They're not as expensive as their SCs...but they're still very expensive. SCs are 12K+ and ICs balanced are more expensive than their SE counterparts because the balanced Transparent cables have 2 network boxes each. As Ian says, about $8K I guess.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    They're not as expensive as their SCs...but they're still very expensive. SCs are 12K+ and ICs balanced are more expensive than their SE counterparts because the balanced Transparent cables have 2 network boxes each. As Ian says, about $8K I guess.
    And that could be part of the problem....Transparent cables are known for rolling off the highs and pumping up the bass. That's what the little box does. I would encourage Ian to try (as in borrow) IC's and speaker cables that affect the overall sound a little less.

Congratz on the 0.8s! I've heard the Pass/Wilson combo is excellent.
    Michael

Magico S5s; PASS Labs Xs150s and Xs preamplifier; Lumin A1; Synergistic Research Galileo LE Powercell, Galileo LE speaker cables and interconnects, Galileo LE Analog and Digital power cords, Transporter Ultra SE, Tranquility Bases, MiGs, HFTs, XOTs, FEQ, Vibratron and Bass Station.

Anybody ask Pass Labs if the new amps have a bass hump? I personally owned an X350.5 for about a year and it didn't have a bass issue. One of my good friends has a pair of XA200.5's and they control the bottom end as good as anything I've heard.
    Focal Scala V2, Accuphase DP-550, Avid Volvere, SME 309, Benz-Micro Reference Copper S, Accuphase C-37 phono pre, Tara Labs 0.8, Accuphase A-70, Accuphase C-2420 preamp

Quote Originally Posted by dfwmediagroup View Post
    Anybody ask Pass Labs if the new amps have a bass hump? I personally owned an X350.5 for about a year and it didn't have a bass issue. One of my good friends has a pair of XA200.5's and they control the bottom end as good as anything I've heard.
    I've spent time with the 160.5s and now the Xs150s and would not say there is a "hump" or any bass exaggeration. But, the high current and architecture, IMO, makes Pass a far cry from bass shy or "lean." Now that I've experienced it over time, I find it difficult to listen to a system that doesn't share Pass' "fullness."
    Michael

Magico S5s; PASS Labs Xs150s and Xs preamplifier; Lumin A1; Synergistic Research Galileo LE Powercell, Galileo LE speaker cables and interconnects, Galileo LE Analog and Digital power cords, Transporter Ultra SE, Tranquility Bases, MiGs, HFTs, XOTs, FEQ, Vibratron and Bass Station.

Quote Originally Posted by mdkim View Post
    I've spent time with the 160.5s and now the Xs150s and would not say there is a "hump" or any bass exaggeration. But, the high current and architecture, IMO, makes Pass a far cry from bass shy or "lean." Now that I've experienced it over time, I find it difficult to listen to a system that doesn't share Pass' "fullness."
    Your last statement seems to match what Pass said to me yesterday:

"The Point 8 amps are definitely closer to the Xs amps than the Point 5's.
    There is a lot more bass information with the Point 8 amps and it may seem a little much in the beginning but once you listen for a while, you will notice that it provides a solid foundation for the music that you will miss if you don't have it."

Audioshark

Pass amps are in the house! Let the shootout begin!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395939670.755520.jpg

A friend loaned me his 100.5's.

Look forward to your assessment. What preamp will you be running them with?

Super Moderator

Very cool Mike!

What goes around comes around, sort of. Looking forward to your opinion!

Pass amps are in the house! Let the shootout begin!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395939670.755520.jpg

A friend loaned me his 100.5's.

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Look forward to your assessment. What preamp will you be running them with?
    Cary, Dag and Mc. My friend Charles uses an ARC REF5SE.

Sounds like fun!
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

One cautionary note. The XA100.5 sounds different from the newer .8 series. I know because I've heard both.

Audioshark

One cautionary note. The XA100.5 sounds different from the newer .8 series. I know because I've heard both.
    Me too...and I agree. But I want to hear Pass XA with Alexia's. I'm trying to understand what Ian is hearing or not hearing. Hopefully some .8's will come my way for review soon.

I agree, at least for the XA160s. And the XA160.5 sounds different from the XA100.5. I compared both in my system driving the difficult Magico Mini2 and the 160.5 was considerably better: improved bass control, extension and much more effortless sound. Much more power and current into the 4 ohm load. The Alexia is a more difficult load than even the Mini2 is. That impedance dip around 1.5 ohms or so was too much for the XA160.5 that Ian had, at least in his larger, open room.

I have heard Ian's Alexia with the D'Agostino stereo amp, the Doshi monos, and the XA160.8. The latter is the only one of the three that can drive the speaker properly in his room, IMO.

I'll be interested to read what Mike thinks about the XA100.5 driving his Alexias. Room size, volume, and type of music may also be factors.

Me too...and I agree. But I want to hear Pass XA with Alexia's. I'm trying to understand what Ian is hearing or not hearing. Hopefully some .8's will come my way for review soon.

Mike I bet those XA100.5 would sound great with the Magico S5 and Pass XP15 phono. Any interest in trying that combination also?

You may also want to borrow a Pass preamp, if your friend has one, to get a bit closer to what Ian has right now. The D'Ag and Cary preamps may effect the results with the Alexias.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Mike I bet those XA100.5 would sound great with the Magico S5 and Pass XP15 phono. Any interest in trying that combination also?

You may also want to borrow a Pass preamp, if your friend has one, to get a bit closer to what Ian has right now. The D'Ag and Cary preamps may effect the results with the Alexias.
    Peter - the S5's are all crated up ready to go to their new owner. But yes, Pass and Magico is great synergy. Michael Kim loves the combo as does Ian.

My XA160.8s will be here late next week. Then it'll be my turn to do a little comparison with the XA160.5s (with my XP-30 preamp and Magico s5s).
    Howard

Pass Labs XS 300's, XS Pre | Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series 3, Alpha USB Series 2 | Aurender W20SE, ACS10 | Magico S7's with MPOD's, QSub 15 x 2 | Shunyata Denali 2000T x 2 with Sigma HC | Shunyata Everest 8000 w/ Omega XC | MIT Heritage and Oracle Interconnects and speaker cables | Critical Mass Maxxum rack

Audioshark

Well, the Pass amps have gone home. We had a thoroughly enjoyable day comparing the various amps and preamps at our disposal. My friend was most interested in comparing his Pass XA100.5's to the Cary amps. At the end of the day, the Cary amps offered more air around the instruments, SLIGHTLY better/sweeter vocals and a much greater dynamic presentation. The Pass amps offered a very "meaty" - full sound - much like the McIntosh 601's, with a slight sweetness and a much sweeter, fuller midrange than the 601's (but not quite as good as the Cary). The Pass amps exhibited the same loose/puffy bass control I remembered from when I owned the XA160.5's. Going from memory of my long listening sessions at CES, the Pass XA.8's offer greater dynamics and better bass control over their predecessor. I kept thinking today, "boy, I wonder how the .8's would sound in my system."

The one thing we uncovered was the terrific synergy between the Pass XA100.5's and the Cary SLP-05 preamp. What a great combination!! My friend Charles might be on to something with his tube preamp pairing with his XA100.5's.

We briefly compared with the D'Agostino amp/preamp. The D'Agostino once again exhibited the same great dynamics and bass control with a degree of sweetness they always do. But alas, this combo is out of reach for my friend....so we listened only briefly.

At the end of the day, the Pass amps reminded me very much of my McIntosh 601's. Oh, so musical and enjoyable to listen to. Where the Pass betters the 601's in the midrange, the 601's offer slightly better dynamics. But both the 601's and XA100.5's are the type of "set and forget" amps I love. They both engage the "musical" side of your brain and park the "audiophile sound" side of your brain quietly at the curb. If you find yourself listening until the wee hours of the morning totally engrossed in the music, chances are you will have an amp like the 601's or XA100.5's accompanying you.

I definitely think the XA100.8's or 160.8's would be fun to try in my system and I hope I get that chance one day.

Thanks for sharing Mike, sounds like you guys had a good time !!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Well, the Pass amps have gone home. We had a thoroughly enjoyable day comparing the various amps and preamps at our disposal. My friend was most interested in comparing his Pass XA100.5's to the Cary amps. At the end of the day, the Cary amps offered more air around the instruments, SLIGHTLY better vocals and a much great dynamic presentation. The Pass amps offered a very "meaty" - full sound - much like the McIntosh 601's, with a slight sweetness and a much sweeter, fuller midrange than the 601's (but not as good as the Cary). The Pass amps exhibited the same loose/puffy bass control I remembered from when I owned the XA160.5's. Going from memory of my long listening sessions at CES, the Pass XA.8's offer greater dynamics and better bass control over their predecessor. I kept thinking today, "boy, I wonder how the .8's would sound in my system."

The one thing we uncovered was the terrific synergy between the Pass XA100.5's and the Cary SLP-05 preamp. What a great combination!! My friend Charles might be on to something with his tube preamp pairing with his XA100.5's.

We briefly compared with the D'Agostino amp/preamp. The D'Agostino once again exhibited the same great dynamics and bass control with a degree of sweetness. But alas, this combo is out of reach for my friend....so we listened only briefly.

At the end of the day, the Pass amps reminded me very much of my McIntosh 601's. Oh, so musical and enjoyable to listen to. Where the Pass betters the 601's in the midrange, the 601's offer slightly better dynamics. But both the 601's and XA100.5's are the type of "set and forget" amps I love. They both engage the "musical" side of your brain and park the "audiophile sound" side of your brain quietly at the curb. If you find yourself listening until the wee hours of the morning totally engrossed in the music, chances are you will have an amp like the 601's or XA100.5's accompanying you.

I definitely think the XA100.8's or 160.8's would be fun to try in my system and I hope I get that chance one day.

Mike - Great report. I agree that Pass is musical sounding, in the sense that they help a system sound like real music - if they are appropriately matched to the speaker load. Did you hear the XA.8 at CES driving the Alexias or were they in the Pass suite driving the Sony speakers? If the latter, then the Sony is a much easier load than the Alexia.

I wonder if the lack of dynamics and bass control that you heard with the XA100.5 driving your Alexias was because they just don't have the power or current to handle such a difficult load. I found this to be the case when I owned these, so I replaced them with the 160.5. I found that both the XA160.5 and XA160.8 are able to drive Ian's Alexia, though the latter certainly controls the bass better and sounds a bit more effortless.

How big is your room and how loud did you listen?

Audioshark

Thanks Peter. My room is 14 feet, 1 inch x 25 feet with 8 foot ceilings. I heard the .8's with the Sony speakers. We weren't listening terribly loud (probably 90db) and the needles on the amps were barely moving.

I loved having the Pass amps back in my system. They are so musical and liquid with that gorgeous midrange.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sandman View Post
    My XA160.8s will be here late next week. Then it'll be my turn to do a little comparison with the XA160.5s (with my XP-30 preamp and Magico s5s).
    This should be very interesting and I look forward to your report. Pass/Magico is a great combination.

Thanks Mike.

The Cary's are the best kept secret. Escoecially with your tube complement.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I agree, at least for the XA160s. And the XA160.5 sounds different from the XA100.5. I compared both in my system driving the difficult Magico Mini2 and the 160.5 was considerably better: improved bass control, extension and much more effortless sound. Much more power and current into the 4 ohm load. The Alexia is a more difficult load than even the Mini2 is. That impedance dip around 1.5 ohms or so was too much for the XA160.5 that Ian had, at least in his larger, open room.

I have heard Ian's Alexia with the D'Agostino stereo amp, the Doshi monos, and the XA160.8. The latter is the only one of the three that can drive the speaker properly in his room, IMO.

I'll be interested to read what Mike thinks about the XA100.5 driving his Alexias. Room size, volume, and type of music may also be factors.
    I don't agree with Peter's assessment. The interesting thing is that while the bass is a tad slower and looser with the XA160.5's the bass is very articulate. With the XA160.8's the bass is faster but boomy and thick (although to be fair this is probably because there is increased bass energy, particularly in the deep frequencies which is hard to tame in my room).

Pass had this to say in response when I asked if the .8's were closer to the .5's or XS series:

"The Point 8 amps are definitely closer to the Xs amps than the Point 5's.

There is a lot more bass information with the Point 8 amps and it may seem a little much in the beginning but once you listen for a while, you will notice that it provides a solid foundation for the music that you will miss if you don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by The Sandman View Post
    Awesome! I hope it's love at first listen!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team