Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Starting Point - Bob's new room and Alexia's new home

OK, with wifey and I now 'mostly' moved into the new home, and having committed to getting Alexias, I'm starting to look more seriously at my listening space. The space was built out to be a "media room" but not with any consideration of acoustics or anything like that. The home we bought was a former "street of dreams" home so it had all the fancy stuff of 2007, and the man cave / media room craze was just about to die out.

Now, I'd really prefer not to tear this place up and begin again, 'cause its quite attractive as it is. But how it is going to sound is a big unknown, and there are some serious issues to contend with. Of course, I'll only begin to tackle the issues once I have the speakers properly setup so I can get some good ideas what'll be needed.

First of all, the room does not "close" as the stairway from up above comes into the space and sealing it off will require a creative act. I have some ideas, but you can see with the stairs flowing into the room the way they do it won't be easy.

Second, there will be a wall of glass behind the speakers. A large window and two doors. There are currently some shades but of course those won't have much impact on the sound. I have some TubeTraps that will go into the corners, and I plan to put a large diffusor in front of the center window. There are a lot of products to choose from. My current tube traps are 16" and I may need to go to 20" depending on how things measure out in the future.

Third, the left side of the room is the space that held the screen and beneath that is a nice cabinet that was the place for the front surround speakers for the TV. I plan to convert this to album storage and hopefully can use the shelf space for components. I will need to get an electrician to wire in some dedicated 20amp circuits, near that space and also in the floor—with the expectation I will someday go to monoblocks.

Fourth, the right side is all about the bar scene. There is a microwave, a small wine cooler, a sink with granite counter, cabinets for glasses and liquor. There is even a dishwasher! This will be tough to treat acoustically. Next to this is a column of whole-house sound components and media distribution. It can all go as far as I care, it isn't wide enough to hold 19" components.

Finally, the back of the room opens to the upper floor through the stairs, and then to the other side it opens to the "guest wing" hallway which leads to three bedrooms on the lower floor, including the guest suite. I am hoping to do something with the space and build in a small wine cellar, which will allow me to put in a sliding door and close off that side of the back of the room.

I expect sound is going to travel through the house in a big way, even if I come up with a way to close off the stairs. The walls won't have any insulation, or the ceiling, so when the Alexias are singing it'll be obvious. Hopefully up in the master suite the sound won't be too bad. But this, and the other challenges, may convince me to remodel the space. If I can get by without that expense, it would sure be nice.

So... the projector will go soon, and the screen. I have a couple sound panels from ASC that have art-prints on them that will go nicely, but there really isn't a place to put my SpringTraps. Bass trapping will probably be done with additional Tube Traps. Too bad, those SpringTraps are seriously effective.

Attachment 5191Attachment 5192Attachment 5193Attachment 5194
    Attachment 5195Attachment 5196

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Re: Starting Point - Bob's new room and Alexia's new home

Awesome space you have there Bob!

Do you have kids?

Do you watch movies and/or listen to music while the wife is upstairs or sleeping, sometimes?

When you clap your two hands together, how that feels? ...Walk all around that space and keep clapping your hands together.
    Then, ask your wife to clap her hands (loud enough), while you are upstairs, and go to the the master bedroom.

One step @ a time, and two subs are better than one.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Super Moderator

I really love the way it looks. Beautiful.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Bob...Congratulations to you & your Wife on the purchase. New beginnings are always exciting! You have some challenges ahead, but that is half the fun.

Personally, I would make do with what you have to begin, implement & progress from there.

Short of bricking your window in, glass is not such a bad thing behind your loudspeakers or setup. It is manageable with heavy Roman blinds. (Two layer with blackout). You could even put roller shades behind them. On top of that canvass awnings on the outside may be an additional option.

As for the stair case, the sound will travel outwards but your subs will maintain sufficient pressurisation within. The staircase will be a reflection point but that can be managed with a customised dividing wall or panel or screen such as an Acoustic Revive or even ASC traps to begin with.

Deciding whether to ditch the kitchenette or not can come later.

Given the beautiful timber finishes you already have, some Vicoustic panels could compliment nicely.

Speakeasy

Audioshark

Congrats Bob. Beautiful room. It's all coming together. I know how exhausted you must be. Moving is stressful. But in a few months from now, you will have forgotten all about that and be enjoying Alexia bliss!
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Congrats Bob. Beautiful room. It's all coming together. I know how exhausted you must be. Moving is stressful. But in a few months from now, you will have forgotten all about that and be enjoying Alexia bliss!
    That's when you'll start to come up with new ideas for that room. I'd think about putting you gear on the wall that the screen is on now. The shades on the doors will act as acoustical treatments. How big is the guest room back there? I know you said that you don't want to do any serious remodeling but... You could take out the wall that the screen is on and open that room right up. That would give you plenty of space between your listening position and the kitchenette, which might help with the overall sound as well. The guest room could become a nice little bike workshop.
    Doug

The dimensions are 29'2" X 16'7" X 9'7".

The glass doors open to our lower deck, but there are doors to the deck in the hobby room to the right (through the door next to the media stack) and in the bedroom on the opposite side of wall where the screen is.

No kids, just two cats. No TV watching in this space, and the Alexias need no sub-woofer support.

Step 1) Put in a nice wool area rug. That'll begin to reduce the slap echo that is gnarly right now.

When the space under the shelf is repurposed to album storage I can make the front of the drawers have absorption/diffusion as necessary. Likewise, I can modify the glass doors of the liquor cabinet, possibly the door faces beneath the sink. I will likely pull the little wine cooler with its glass door that interferes a wee bit with putting a tube trap in the corner.

Along with a big diffusion panel I'll have custom made to be movable for in front of the large window, I could put Vicoustic panels on the ceiling and space above the component shelf.

i had done enough tweaking in my former room to learn to move cautiously one step at a time or you can mess things up. But this time I'll get some measurements to guide me.

Damn, I'm really getting a jones to hear my music again. It'll likely be another couple months until I have repurchased all that was stolen, and of course waiting to learn how whole the insurance payment will make me. It is indeed a journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobvin View Post
    The dimensions are 29'2" X 16'7" X 9'7".
    Nice dimensions.

No kids, just two cats. No TV watching in this space, and the Alexias need no sub-woofer support.
    I know some people (I included) who could write a book about this subject.

Step 1) Put in a nice wool area rug. That'll begin to reduce the slap echo that is gnarly right now.
    Definitely. ...That was part of the plan right from the beginning.

Along with a big diffusion panel I'll have custom made to be movable for in front of the large window, I could put Vicoustic panels on the ceiling and space above the component shelf.
    Sounds like a very good plan.

i had done enough tweaking in my former room to learn to move cautiously one step at a time or you can mess things up. But this time I'll get some measurements to guide me.
    Just like a pro.

Damn, I'm really getting a jones to hear my music again. It'll likely be another couple months until I have repurchased all that was stolen, and of course waiting to learn how whole the insurance payment will make me. It is indeed a journey.
    Meanwhile get something inexpensive (second-hand ♪) and easily resalable, without loss. ...No fuss no muss.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Has anyone used or have experience with RPG Diffractal products? This is what I'm considering using to build a nice diffusor to be placed in front of the large glass window. RPG makes many other acoustical products—has anyone used them?

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Bob, I love your new room ! It looks like it might be a little lively right now. But I think it has great potential !

I hope you get it setup soon, I know you miss your music
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Second, there will be a wall of glass behind the speakers. A large window and two doors. There are currently some shades but of course those won't have much impact on the sound. I have some TubeTraps that will go into the corners, and I plan to put a large diffusor in front of the center window. There are a lot of products to choose from.
    Nothing can beat the SMT transparent WIng diffusor in this application IMO:

You can barely even see it !

Here is how it looks from the side:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    Nothing can beat the SMT transparent WIng diffusor in this application IMO:

You can barely even see it !
    Adam, thanks for this, I did see something like this on the RPG site. Not sure if the somewhat blurry look would be too good though after a bottle of wine! The diffusor that is to the right, next to the sax, is more along the lines of what I'm thinking, with maybe a 4ft verticle section topped by a 2ft horizontal, or something different like an RPG omnifusor. The shapes above the verticle panels in the picture are great, but I think it would be too much for me.

And I believe I saw your room on another audio-blog. Extremely nice. You seem to have cycled through some gear too!

I would go with sth that does not limit the view/sunlight, but it is a personal thing. Here is a another view:

All products on the first image in my previous post come from SMT - this is a Swedish company, but I believe they also have a distributor in the US.

Those diffusers can be had in a non-transparent for as well - painted or veneered:

And I believe I saw your room on another audio-blog. Extremely nice. You seem to have cycled through some gear too!
    That is 'cos my second name is Joe
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Joe Namath?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Bob, what a gorgeous room! Definitely a great space to listen to some tunes!

re: room treatments. I'm looking at RPG Diffractals as well, in particular for the front wall behind the speakers. Elsewhere, was thinking Vicoustics mainly.

For the staircase, there are noise isolating curtains. Not sure how well they work, but something to look into. Jeff is your best resource for things like this.

Congrats again on the room - it's beautiful!

Allen

With a large window behind and between the speakers, I was considering diffusion. But as I read through the Wilson manual (heh, heh, the rat bastards who stole my speakers didn't get the hardware or manual—good luck assholes) they seem to discourage using diffusion behind and between the speakers. But I see lots of examples of this in many rooms, and in many cases I see folks putting a large diameter tube trap dead center between the speakers. (I see in Mikes room he's placed tube traps dead center and more to each side of center.)

I know I am going to want to deal with the strong reflection the window is going to throw as one of the first places I tweak the room. I was considering the Diffractals, or something very much like Adam has shown above. My plan was to create a stand to support said diffusion panel.

So who can tell me if this is a wise road to head down, or should I focus my initial treatment elsewhere? (I have some 16" tube traps for the front corners, and may need to go bigger depending on later measurements.) Unfortunately, the Spring Traps I have invested in don't seem to fit in any corners of the new space... soon to be for sale!)

Generally speaking the front wall is where you would want THICK absorption to help with any kind of boundary reflection in the low end. I have also seen people use both so there is no wrong or right.Overall, I see a couple spots that you might want to deal with (besides treating corners as you are talking about). The back wall is going to need some THICK trapping to help with deep nulls and peaks coming from that wall. Look for something that is thick but also has scattering/diffusion built to the front. We have panels, that can have a Scatter Plate built to the front, and I am sure we are not the only ones doing this. The other area you need to focus on is the early reflection points that are located between where you sit and the speakers. Perhaps you could use something moveable, so they can be stored away when not in use. Also the ceiling reflection point should be treated.Great looking room and I am sure it will sound wonderful!
    Glenn Kuras
    GIK Acoustics

With a large window behind and between the speakers, I was considering diffusion. But as I read through the Wilson manual (heh, heh, the rat bastards who stole my speakers didn't get the hardware or manual—good luck assholes) they seem to discourage using diffusion behind and between the speakers. But I see lots of examples of this in many rooms, and in many cases I see folks putting a large diameter tube trap dead center between the speakers. (I see in Mikes room he's placed tube traps dead center and more to each side of center.)

I know I am going to want to deal with the strong reflection the window is going to throw as one of the first places I tweak the room. I was considering the Diffractals, or something very much like Adam has shown above. My plan was to create a stand to support said diffusion panel.

So who can tell me if this is a wise road to head down, or should I focus my initial treatment elsewhere? (I have some 16" tube traps for the front corners, and may need to go bigger depending on later measurements.) Unfortunately, the Spring Traps I have invested in don't seem to fit in any corners of the new space... soon to be for sale!)

I also had a large window between my two loudspeakers and found the best solution (for my ears) was diffusion. This helped the soundstage no end, which I feel was otherwise suffering from reflections off the window.

In the SMT photos above you see diffusion panels between the loudspeakers. Some of the photos show tuned bass traps at the base, others wing duffusors which incorporate Helmholtz and panel absorber to make the panel more effective at lower frequencies as well.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

A window between your two mains is not necessarily a bad thing; it has a view on the outside, and that view can make a whole lot of difference for the better.

That's at least what I see through my own window, between my two mains, and five feet behind them.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    A window between your two mains is not necessarily a bad thing; it has a view on the outside, and that view can make a whole lot of difference for the better.
    Well, I've got a house full of windows, and if I cut a few trees I will have a spectacular view of Mt. Hood from just about every room on the main floor. But my music room will be very much the "man cave" so blocking those windows will not bother me at all.

I do like Kiwi's comment that there are some tuned base traps at the base of some of the diffusors. I didn't know base traps would help at that location? I wonder if my spring traps, laid on their sides on the floor, would have an impact placed beneath the window, or even in the back of the room on the floor?

Are you going to cut few trees Bob? ...Do you have a fireplace?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Banned

Bob,

If you need a big diffuser, these folks can build you one.

Acoustic Treatments, Sound Diffuser Panels | Professional Sound Equipment

Bob, I too, had the dilemma of having a window in my front wall. I solved it by building a false wall in front of it. It allowed me to run electrical, conduit for speaker wires, and providing a recessed space for a tv as we also watch tv in this room. I then insulated the wall and covered it with upholstered panels.
    Here are a few pics of the contruction plus the finished project. If you were to ever want to change things back just remove the entire wall assembly
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DALE

Main system: Shindo Masseto, Shindo Cortese, Devore Orangutan O/96, Thorens TD125 MkII by Artisan Fidelity, Ortofon RS-309D, Ortofon SPU Classic, W4S modded Sonos, Metrum dac, Shindo
    and Auditorium A23 cables.
    Second system: Accuphase E-280, B & W CWM7.3 S2, W4S modded Sonos,Metrum dac, A23 cables
    Garage system: Yamaha A-S2100 integrated, JBL PRO 3677, Sonos thru Cambridge Dac Magic.

Hey Bob, any updates? New paint, carpeting, anything?
    Doug

Ah shit! A month ago I finally found a super natural wool carpet (Earthweave) and paid a huge deposit. Not getting an update for a month (I had planned 2 weeks for shipping, then 2 more weeks for the customization) I sent a note to the interior decorator folks. Today they told me "there was a problem with ordering we finally worked through" meaning the goddamn carpet wasn't ordered at all. So, yippie skippie, it'll be another f'n month before the carpet gets here.

F me!

The Earthweave is nice carpet, no dies or chemicals of any kind, right off the sheep's back. I'm not a "greener" in any way, but I do like to keep chemicals out of my environment when I can, and carpet can off-gas nasty chemicals for months.

I chose the 'rainier' carpet in 'granite' color. It will match the room enough I won't need to paint.

http://www.earthweave.com/bio_floor_carpet.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey at least it's summer now so you can get out for a ride when the rest of the world pisses you off.

Sent from my mobile.
    Doug

Boy, I wish I had that room. I would gladly accept your "problems" for a space like that.

Just a thought, but typically with a cone or horn speaker you want "dead end" by the speaker and "live end" by the listener. So traps at the speaker end and diffusers by the listener. But if you had panel speakers it would be the opposite way round, and might work better with the glass behind them and some moderate diffusion there.

I have Apogees, which would probably be perfect in that room. How about we trade homes?
    Vine, Vide, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

BobM, you'll be retired soon... come visit the Pacific NW.

(This whole move to Portland thing has tried my patience many times over. I am longing sooooooo much to have music again. I am blessed, it is a nice space for my system. It'll take some tweaks to be sure, but ultimately there will be many wild nights in the music room. )

Bob,
    How's the landscaping going?
    DALE

Main system: Shindo Masseto, Shindo Cortese, Devore Orangutan O/96, Thorens TD125 MkII by Artisan Fidelity, Ortofon RS-309D, Ortofon SPU Classic, W4S modded Sonos, Metrum dac, Shindo
    and Auditorium A23 cables.
    Second system: Accuphase E-280, B & W CWM7.3 S2, W4S modded Sonos,Metrum dac, A23 cables
    Garage system: Yamaha A-S2100 integrated, JBL PRO 3677, Sonos thru Cambridge Dac Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Katoomer View Post
    Bob,
    How's the landscaping going?
    Look for my answer on the growing your own topic...

Ugh, I can't believe the hassle I've run into just trying to get some damn carpet in my room. Had to file a credit card dispute with our bank—the "interior design" firm my wife selected has turned out to be completely un-responsive. Now I've got to find a new carpet vendor. Its been since last November now since I've had music, beginning to think I can live without. I'm considering selling everything, buying a Jeep, and learning to fly-fish. Lots of good rivers here in Oregon.

Anyone else ever have the urge to give it all up?

Ugh, I can't believe the hassle I've run into just trying to get some damn carpet in my room. Had to file a credit card dispute with our bank—the "interior design" firm my wife selected has turned out to be completely un-responsive. Now I've got to find a new carpet vendor. Its been since last November now since I've had music, beginning to think I can live without. I'm considering selling everything, buying a Jeep, and learning to fly-fish. Lots of good rivers here in Oregon.

Anyone else ever have the urge to give it all up?
    Bob, sorry to hear about your ongoing troubles. Go out and buy a nice big area rug to throw down on the floor. Preferably one of oriental design, because they sound better! Open those boxes up and get busy listening to some music.
    Doug

As a panacea I would highly recommend getting a good pair of headphones and a decent head amp and spin some disks that way to quench your musical needs. By far the best way to get decent sound in the interim. Only problem is it doesn't fill the room with sound. But it does lend itself to setting aside time to read a nice book.

Every once in a while I wonder about giving it all up. Usually it's when life just keeps ya too busy. And then - I take the time to listen and enjoy and the thought goes away.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Moving is designed to be stressful. Remodeling amps it up a couple of notches. Unreliable contractors or decorators add to the circus of delayed gratification and "why did we move". Bob these are all going to fade and should not stress you to the max. Cancer, poverty, death or a broken really expensive phono cartriage may require true rage but once your settled and listening all this other nonsense will be but a weak memory and don't get a stroke
    Take a slow cleansing breath.

Nick
    Nick

Main system :TAD CR1 speakers, Viola Labs Symphony amp,Pass XP-20 preamp., MSB Discrete DAC with twin power supplies and V2 Renderer module, Gigafoil V4 inline ethernet filter with uptone LPS-1 power supply with Ghent audio Gotham 2.1mm to 2.5mm cable and AG diamond ethernet cable, Sonicorbitor Roon Audiophile 6 TB network server-player , MG Audio Design Planus III jumpers & speaker cables, Zitron Cobra power cords, Shunyata Hydra AV, and acoustic zen absolute copper IC,. Room treatment ASC tower traps, Vicoustic absorber premium cinema wall and ceiling panels, and MSR acoustic trifusser side wall panel

Quote Originally Posted by veindoc View Post
    Moving is designed to be stressful. Remodeling amps it up a couple of notches. Unreliable contractors or decorators add to the circus of delayed gratification and "why did we move". Bob these are all going to fade and should not stress you to the max. Cancer, poverty, death or a broken really expensive phono cartriage may require true rage but once your settled and listening all this other nonsense will be but a weak memory and don't get a stroke
    Take a slow cleansing breath.

Nick
    To be sure, Nick, these are "1st World" problems. Trivial in the long run -- though sometimes contracters and being lied to really push my buttons. And, though I am 56 yo, I can still act like a spoiled kid when I don't get my way!

Don't give up

Just installed them without rug

And start spinning !!!!
    Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints
    Kuzma / Focal / Resonessence Labs / ARIA / KRELL / Pro-Ject...

I am same age and have lived thru 2 one year long major remodels.(BTW still married same women) Until you have a sh-tty contractor you never realize what a blessing an honest and timely good contractor is really worth.
    Best of luck

Nick
    Nick

Main system :TAD CR1 speakers, Viola Labs Symphony amp,Pass XP-20 preamp., MSB Discrete DAC with twin power supplies and V2 Renderer module, Gigafoil V4 inline ethernet filter with uptone LPS-1 power supply with Ghent audio Gotham 2.1mm to 2.5mm cable and AG diamond ethernet cable, Sonicorbitor Roon Audiophile 6 TB network server-player , MG Audio Design Planus III jumpers & speaker cables, Zitron Cobra power cords, Shunyata Hydra AV, and acoustic zen absolute copper IC,. Room treatment ASC tower traps, Vicoustic absorber premium cinema wall and ceiling panels, and MSR acoustic trifusser side wall panel

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by highEndguy View Post
    Don't give up

Just installed them without rug

And start spinning !!!!
    +1!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    Bob, sorry to hear about your ongoing troubles. Go out and buy a nice big area rug to throw down on the floor. Preferably one of oriental design, because they sound better! Open those boxes up and get busy listening to some music.
    Deleted.
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

To be sure, Nick, these are "1st World" problems. Trivial in the long run -- though sometimes contracters and being lied to really push my buttons. And, though I am 56 yo, I can still act like a spoiled kid when I don't get my way!
    If you're really Jonesing, you're always welcome back here!
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Quote Originally Posted by veindoc View Post
    I am same age and have lived thru 2 one year long major remodels.(BTW still married same women) Until you have a sh-tty contractor you never realize what a blessing an honest and timely good contractor is really worth.
    Best of luck

Nick
    AMEN to that.

At last, carpet arrived and profoundly changed the feel of the space. The dark hardwood floors really gave a man 'cave' feel, but the lighter color of the wool carpet adds a much more sophisticated feel to the room. This morning I started to put the rig together.

Audioshark

Congrats Bob! What a journey you've been on. You must be glad to be reaching the final setup stage. Congrats and keep us posted on how it all sounds. I bet the 150/Alexia combo will be terrific.

Don't spill any wine on that new carpet.

Looking good. Bet it sounds better with the carpet too.

At last, carpet arrived and profoundly changed the feel of the space. The dark hardwood floors really gave a man 'cave' feel, but the lighter color of the wool carpet adds a much more sophisticated feel to the room. This morning I started to put the rig together.

Looks great but something is missing!

looks very clean and relaxing. I have a dog bed for my BFF to enjoy the tunes with me if my wife occasionally defers.
    Nick
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
    Looks great but something is missing!
    Good eye Miles! The Wilson dealer is coming down on the 12th to perform the WASP, and bringing an HRS platform for the AMG v12. (to replace the stolen one)

I'm initializing the setup with a broken in Ref3/Ref110 combo. This way I can play music until the 12th to get a few hours on the Alexias, and the speaker setup can be done with used gear—I feel setting up with out-of-the-box REF10—REF75 pair probably not the best way to go. Then when speakers are in place, I can swap in the new REF gear, and burn some hours on those pieces too. After I've burned 600 hours on the stock KT120's in the REF75, I'll drop in a fresh pair of KT150's.

I've contracted an acoustical firm to work with my architect — the left side of room will have built-in drawers for vinyl, and the right side, where the wet-bar is, will become a little recessed alcove where I can place my rig and finally get it out from between the speakers.

Let the wild rumpus begin!

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Don't spill any wine on that new carpet.
    Heh, heh! I was sure to have performed the wine test before buying the carpet. I poured a nice Brunello on a sample of the carpet; even rubbed it in good 'cause the lanolin in the wool just had it beaded up and sitting there. Then with some pure water 95% of the stain came right up. After a little enzyme cleaner there was no trace of Brunello... passed the WAF.

On the topic of wine, I joined a "rare washington wines" club recently. First time they opened the roster in 10 years. Now starting to get deliveries of various Washington wines I'd not have much access to as the limited production usually has these sold out before I learn about them.

Its going to be a good autumn and winter. System finally coming together, and lots of wine to drink. Now I need to be sure there's an equal amount of new vinyl

Beautiful, Bob! Here's to many happy listening and drinking sessions in your new room!

Allen

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team