Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Using 99.9% Silver Speaker Cable

Not sure if this has been covered yet but I have a question. If silver is the best conductor for let say speaker cable, beside the cost, what else is the disadvantage or problem with using pure silver (99.9%) silver cable?

Mike
    McIntosh C2300 tube preamp, McIntosh MC601 monoblock amps, Triangle Art, Concerto TT, w/Lyra cart, Vandersteen 2CE Sig II, Oppo bdp95

HT: I
    ntegra DHC 40.2 AV PrePro, Marantz MA500 mono amp (x3) Plok Audio RR, C, RL, Velodyne 12" Sub, Sony PS-3

Cables: Audioquest, MIT, Crystal Clear

Richard Grey 1200S Power conditioner (RGPC)

Projector: Sony VPL VW60

Audioshark

re: Using 99.9% Silver Speaker Cable

I've had silver cables and found them bright sounding. I've heard some say that over time the silver will calm down and actually really sound quite smooth. I just never heard that in my system. I had Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cables, IC's and PC's. Was happy to sell them all.

I much prefer OCC copper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Thanks for sharing your experience Mike.
    McIntosh C2300 tube preamp, McIntosh MC601 monoblock amps, Triangle Art, Concerto TT, w/Lyra cart, Vandersteen 2CE Sig II, Oppo bdp95

ntegra DHC 40.2 AV PrePro, Marantz MA500 mono amp (x3) Plok Audio RR, C, RL, Velodyne 12" Sub, Sony PS-3

Using 99.9% Silver Speaker Cablke

As long as if you mixed up some copper in your I/C the pure silver speaker cables can be sounds beautiful. I'm using all pure silver I/C ( Kimber KS 1136's ) and mixed ( Silver/Copper - Kimber KS3035 speaker cables ) on my system and I love how they produce the sounds. However when I auditioned the KS3038( all pure silver ) as Mike mentioned sounds was little bright to my taste. ( if your system sounds little dark you might want to try these )

Just be careful it can be very expensive.
    Paul

i had a similar experience. i didnt own them but several years ago i demoed a pair of silver speaker cables. im trying to remember what brand they were but i cannot. at the time i did like 6 pairs in a row to test. only 1 pair was silver an they were very bright and irritating, but also caused so much interference from wires that were just close to them. i couldnt find places to hide all my wires fast enough, of course my electric back then was just plugging straight into a wall. but i always stuck with copper after that. but i do like the sound of silver interconnects alot.
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

I really dis-like silver for speaker cables......I find the system becomes hard and splashy, very unnatural like. I can use silver anywhere else in the chain and not experience the negatives I get when using silver for speaker cables. Just my findings and YYMV in regards to.....
    Dealer / Manufacture Disclosure:

Jeff Whitlock
    A/V Solutions / Unity Audio Design
    www.avsolutionsca.com

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I've had silver cables and found them bright sounding. I've heard some say that over time the silver will calm down and actually really sound quite smooth. I just never heard that in my system. I had Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cables, IC's and PC's. Was happy to sell them all.

I much prefer OCC copper.

Mike, they are copper, silver coated!
    My experience is if you can find a seriously good pure silver cable, they are good, very good, but, they need to be balanced like Paul & Jeff are referring to with the right tone of gear around them. Having neutral & somewhat revealing gear will really have you cringing in an all silver loom, mainly because it is super revealing & you will here all the flaws on the recording too. In one of my past systems, S/Faber Strads & 2301's the W/World Platinum loom was absolutely awesome, same with the MSB gear mixing it up with Martin Logan Summit X speakers, but the common denominator is there is warmth in there to cool it down.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
    Mike, they are copper, silver coated!
    My experience is if you can find a seriously good pure silver cable, they are good, very good, but, they need to be balanced like Paul & Jeff are referring to with the right tone of gear around them. Having neutral & somewhat revealing gear will really have you cringing in an all silver loom, mainly because it is super revealing & you will here all the flaws on the recording too. In one of my past systems, S/Faber Strads & 2301's the W/World Platinum loom was absolutely awesome, same with the MSB gear mixing it up with Martin Logan Summit X speakers, but the common denominator is there is warmth in there to cool it down.
    I know. Still rubbish though. I've heard all silver in a friends system and he switched to copper. I preferred it. Check out the top cables and very few, if any, use silver.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Re: Using 99.9% Silver Speaker Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I know. Still rubbish though. I've heard all silver in a friends system and he switched to copper. I preferred it. Check out the top cables and very few, if any, use silver.
    That's a broad generalisation , Siltech top line is Silver Mono Crystals , Stage3 Concepts are a silver/palladium mix , Argento Flow Master Ref are Silver , Echole Obsession silver/gold/palladium mix , Odin is silver plated copper >
    I am using a complete Stage3 loom , with none of the associated tipped up sound attributed to silver , but with smoothness , depth of field and a natural organic tone .

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhead View Post
    That's a broad generalisation , Siltech top line is Silver Mono Crystals , Stage3 Concepts are a silver/palladium mix , Argento Flow Master Ref are Silver , Echole Obsession silver/gold/palladium mix , Odin is silver plated copper >
    I am using a complete Stage3 loom , with none of the associated tipped up sound attributed to silver , but with smoothness , depth of field and a natural organic tone .
    I'll keep an open mind, but I have just heard any of the positive attributes you describe. That being said, a friend of mine just picked up the new WW Platinum 7 speaker cables. He's been raving about them.

Using Siltech Royal Signature Series IC's and SC to no ill effects, they do have gold in them though but not sure which %. To me they are smooth as butter . They do require to be left alone I noticed, every time I take one out the component becomes lifeless for about and hour after I reconnect.

As some have mentioned before I would not pair them with components that are overly analytical, then again YMMV.
    Dan

The older I get the more I know how little I know!

Hi Mike... I have the WW Platinum Eclipse G7 LS & XLRs on a McIntosh 2ch tube rig. They are great, highly resolving. I got a deal & went with these but do prefer Siltech Royal Signature G7, Queen or higher. Overall, I am happy & they are continuing to improve as I clock on the hours.

Speakeasy

Gents. Thanks you so much for all your inputs about the silver cables but, do you guys mind looking at this company/site that seems to have great review about their 99.9% silver cables. I was also told that they cryo their silver and I think their termination too. Here's the links. Cables Service 4 and their review: Cables Feedback Page thank you so much.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Steve!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Thanks Steve, as a two channel Mac user except I have tube pre and ss amps, the WW Platinum Eclipse G7LS is something to consider. What are you using for speaker cables?

Quote Originally Posted by M2wason View Post
    Gents. Thanks you so much for all your inputs about the silver cables but, do you guys mind looking at this company/site that seems to have great review about their 99.9% silver cables. I was also told that they cryo their silver and I think their termination too. Here's the links. Cables Service 4 and their review: Cables Feedback Page thank you so much.

They look very nice, top quality build etc. Perhaps a try before you buy, I would be interested to hear these if I was in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by M2wason View Post
    Thanks Steve, as a two channel Mac user except I have tube pre and ss amps, the WW Platinum Eclipse G7LS is something to consider. What are you using for speaker cables?
    Yes, apologies for the acronym. LS meaning, loudspeaker cables.

The WW Platinum Eclipse G7 are very well constructed. They are stiff, yet not prone to vibration from the loudspeaker terminals. I have wrapped them in Techflex F6 Quiet for additional vibrational control. Something I like to experiment with on loudspeaker cables in general. They are sitting on CableIsolators too. The cable has good RF noise rejection ability. I have had a meter up against them. I am particular about noise rejection ability & have been drawn & quartered about that discussion in the past "over there".

The WW G7 now incorporate the UniTerm termination system. Some other manufacturers are following suit. It's a good system, on the Platinum Eclipse, they are solid silver spades or bananas. A little on the soft side & I have yet to see if they oxidize. They probably will. Personally, at this price point, I would prefer more termination options like Siltech do.

If cost was no object, I would prefer something up in the Siltech Royal Signature G7 range. As the OP poster said above, smooth as butter. It's a golden sound at a golden price. The construction is second to none with the Kapton, heavy shielding & Furutech Flux termination option. That was the plan originally, but I was offered a substantial dealer discount for a WireWorld bundle. The price point was essentially wholesale at the time. No strings as I understood the deal to be. So if you are considering WireWorld, shop around & push the price!

WireWorld Platinum Eclipse are a great match for McIntosh equipment, especially tube. Silver does its best between the pre-amp & amps from my experience. Because I have experienced Siltech, the XLRs will someday replace the WireWorld Platinums at this stage. That said though, the WW Platinum Eclipse G7 are well up there performance wise & for now I can happily live with them as they continue to improve.

When it comes to any silver loudspeaker cable, you may want to demo against your Vandersteens & MC601s first. I'm not sure how resolute those alloy dome tweeters are. My loudspeakers use a silk dome tweeter & it is a perfect match after graduating from a silver plated copper wire. As for the XLRs between your pre & amps, I'm quite confident that you will benefit nicely with silver interconnects.

Given my current equipment inventory, the move to solid silver core is one of the best transitions I have made.

As for the Magnum Opus, I have heard good things. Try & demo if you can! They use Furutech Flux terminations. I use these plug terminations everywhere else. They are awesome but do take time to burn-in given the rhodium plating.
    Last edited by Steve; February 18, 2014 at 12:55 AM. Reason: typo, browser WYSIWYG formatting in IE11, switched edit mode

Speakeasy

Steve, thanks for your input on these. You sure have lots of experience in this field. Anyway I spoke to the owner of the Crystal CLear Audio Cables and he said that not all silver are the same as some called it pure silver where actually mixed with something else. Also it depends who is the source where it came from as he mention some of the non pure silver that claims to be pure were from China. He wouldn't say where his source is/are but one thing he told me is that I can take his cable and have it analyze for purity and if it's not 99.9999% silver, he will refund my money 100%.

The process that he does is that he Cryo treated the silver cable and as for the termination, he uses the cardas terminals. He has heard of the Wire World cables and in fact, lots of his customer AB his cable to the WW silver who said that the WW is the best but, after AB test, they didn't want to give back his cable back anymore kind of funny but true. Anyway, like you said I will demo his Magnum Opus decide for myself. Again thank you Steve. I will report back and give my feedback.

Mike

Mike...Look forward to your findings. Would be great to discover what other cable solutions excel with McIntosh gear.

Speakeasy

I tried a pair of pure silver interconnects several years back and did not care for the sound as it was way too bright for my tast. I prefer copper as it sounds much more natural and musical to me.
    George
    -----------------------

Aurender ACS10 Music Server > Holo Audio May KTE R2R Ladder DAC > Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Renaissance ELS 15A Speakers