Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Lumin

Super Moderator

Re: My New Lumin

Mike,

I just figured out this afternoon how to play DSD. Setting up the NAS properly can really be a pain for the less than geeky audiophile. It's not plug and play but boy is it worth it. My Lumin sounds amazing. I am really happy with it.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

For how long? :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods
    Amps: CAT Legend -> CAT JL7s
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon->Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna Elation ICs & SCs / Shunyata Denali 6000T & PC's / Furutech outlets

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by madfloyd View Post
    For how long? :-)

Forever or until the next version comes out. I'm done with dacs and computers in my room. Streamers like the Lumin are superb. I don't know why but the sound is better.
    Last edited by joeinid; February 2, 2014 at 08:03 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Excellent Joe!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Joe,

Did you compare Lumin vs Marantz NA11S??

Darius
    Integrated Amplifier: in searches
    Network Players: Lumin A1 with heavily upgraded with SSR03 Sjöström Super Regulator Power Supply
    Interconnects Cables: Nordost Heimdall XLR
    Speakers: in searches
    Speaker Cables: Inakustik LS-1102
    Power cables: DIY
    NAS: Qnap 251+, Minimserver

Joe,

How is your "old" Marantz NA11S vs Lumin in terms of SQ.

Darius
    Integrated Amplifier: in searches
    Network Players: Lumin A1 with heavily upgraded with SSR03 Sjöström Super Regulator Power Supply
    Interconnects Cables: Nordost Heimdall XLR
    Speakers: in searches
    Speaker Cables: Inakustik LS-1102
    Power cables: DIY
    NAS: Qnap 251+, Minimserver

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Mike, I'll let Jock address that,he's been doing a lot of A/B testing with his Linn.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Super Moderator

Hello Darius! Welcome to the forum. Thank you for joining.

I have not used the Marantz since I hooked up my EAR Acute III. Now since getting the Lumin, I have nothing else hooked up, only the Lumin. So far the Lumin is better to my taste. The Marantz is a great player and wanted for nothing else when it was playing. I'll have to put it back in the system and take a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by dariusb View Post
    Joe,

Did you compare Lumin vs Marantz NA11S??

Darius
    Quote Originally Posted by dariusb View Post
    Joe,

How is your "old" Marantz NA11S vs Lumin in terms of SQ.

Darius

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

I think I've figured it out .....

My Lumin network music player has "more meat on the bone". It has a richness and fullness (in a good way) that no other cd player or dac has given me. It gives the music depth and spaciousness with just the right amount of smoothness. Holy cr@p! It really is amazing. Everything sounds more real.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks for that Joe. It helps.
    Michael

Magico S5s; PASS Labs Xs150s and Xs preamplifier; Lumin A1; Synergistic Research Galileo LE Powercell, Galileo LE speaker cables and interconnects, Galileo LE Analog and Digital power cords, Transporter Ultra SE, Tranquility Bases, MiGs, HFTs, XOTs, FEQ, Vibratron and Bass Station.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mdkim View Post
    Thanks for that Joe. It helps.
    Michael,

I think it will be perfect for the Pass/Magico combo. I can't wait to hear the S3's.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Are you getting the S3s, Joe?

Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna Elation ICs & SCs / Shunyata Denali 6000T & PC's / Furutech outlets

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I think I've figured it out .....

My Lumin network music player has "more meat on the bone". It has a richness and fullness (in a good way) that no other cd player or dac has given me. It gives the music depth and spaciousness with just the right amount of smoothness. Holy cr@p! It really is amazing. Everything sounds more real.
    I figured out all those CD players and DACs I heard all these years were lacking the "meat" of the sound. There is plenty of "notes" but not much "music"! Hence we make the LUMIN!

Your comment is exactly what I feel, hence the shameless plug!

Audioshark

Hi Li - good to see you!
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

Are you getting the S3s, Joe?

I think that's where I'm headed. Can't wait.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by psme View Post
    I figured out all those CD players and DACs I heard all these years were lacking the "meat" of the sound. There is plenty of "notes" but not much "music"! Hence we make the LUMIN!

Hi Li,

You guys at Lumin are geniuses. I love you guys. My Lumin is THE single best purchase of ALL TIME! I am soooooo happy. Thank you.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by psme View Post

Welcome to AS, Li! There's alot of Lumin love in the Shark Tank! I hope to get one soon as well. Thank you for making such a great product!

Allen

Joe, have you ever auditioned any high end DACs besides the DAC2X? Like the Playback Designs or the MSB?

Super Moderator

Joe, have you ever auditioned any high end DACs besides the DAC2X? Like the Playback Designs or the MSB?
    Hi Ian,

No, I haven't. The DAC2X combo was as high as I went at home. I have heard a dCS at a Magico demo and was impressed but I was more focused on the speakers, not the source. I'd love to hear the Trinity but it's too rich for my blood. I've talked to dCS and MSB owners but I don't get the feeling it's what I am looking for in digital playback. I'm done with the Lumin.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Welcome Li!

Great product.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Ok

Many people have asked about the linn Klinax DS vs the Lunin A1.

After 2 1/2 weeks of break in on the lumin I can absolutely say I prefer the lumin over the Linn.

I've had the Naim NDS and Linn klimax and the Lumin takes the best of both and somehow puts it into one product.

I'm selling both the linn and naim and I bought a second lumin.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Super Moderator

Jock,

I know how you feel. My Lumin is absolutely wonderful. As I type this I am listening to Beck Sea Change in DSD. Wow!

NAD C 658 streamer.

and I'm sorry to say

I haven't listened to any DSD. Only rebook and some hires that I've downloaded.
    Jock

---------

Super Moderator

Everything sounds better. I just got Mark's DSD working tonight and he played Blood, Sweat & Tears. He was blown away.

NAD C 658 streamer.

n/a

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey View Post
    I am having hands down the single most frustrating experience I've ever had with anything audio related with my Lumin purchase. The seller offered to come out from California to Arizona to setup my Lumin. I emailed seller this seemed necessary but seller was sure he could get things going. Well he came and went and all I got was insinuation I ruined his NAS, that the trip cost him lots of money and I didn't thank him for coming. I am floored. My Lumin is not working. Seller emailed and said try with USB drive music. I tried and still nothing. Does anyone know anyone that really understands this NAS/Networking business that can help me? My Lumin when powered on show Chinese characters on display and I've never got beyond that. I'm thinking one of my next steps is contacting Pixel magic with a very long letter explaining in detail my experiences with trying to resolve this situation.

How could you have ruined his NAS? He brought it with him to your house?

To Lumin owners: is it normal for the product to boot up in Chinese?

Super Moderator

Is there a reset on the Lumin? What nas are you using?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

How could you have ruined his NAS? He brought it with him to your house?

To Lumin owners: is it normal for the product to boot up in Chinese?
    Ian - no. This is bizarre. We have had almost 10 in the group buy and everyone is up and running and everyone is...

http://youtu.be/F0_tVMLnj94
    Last edited by joeinid; February 4, 2014 at 08:45 PM.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Northern California Coast & San Francisco

My Lumin seems to have taken a dump! Just came back from dinner out, and it won't play. Instead it moves rapidly through the play list, one selection after another, non stop. Tried shutting down, then restart- multiple times. Comes back up seeming normal until I push 'play'- then it starts rapidly moving through the playlist, but no sound. Shut down and restarted the NAS. Tried the 'reset' button. Nothing seems to work. Suggestions? Who to call or email? Seeing as how I am now addicted, major bummer!
    Tom
    Ultimate Audio
    SoundLab Dealer

Country System:
    SoundLab Ultimate-1PX Electrostatic Speakers
    Pass Labs XP-32 pre, Pass Labs XA60.8 Amps
    Pass Lab XP-27 phono stage
    SME 20/2 table with SME V arm, Stillpoints LPI
    Minus-K BM-8 passive vibration control under tt
    Dynavector XV-1s, Koeitsu Rosewood Signature cartridges, Klaudio RCM
    Roon Nucleus+ powered by Keces P-8 LPS
    Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    3 dedicated AC lines
    Shunyata Omega PC to Everest for all source devices
    Typhon for each amp powered by 2 dedicated circuits
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout.
    Stillpoints under everything.

City System:
    Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp
    Pass Labs X-260.8 Monoblocks
    Esoteric K-03 SACD Player
    Roon Nucleus+powered by UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS
    Sound Lab Ultimate-545PX Speakers
    Shunyata Hydra 8, Typhon QR
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout
    Stillpoints under everything. Multiple room acoustic panels.

Audioshark

My New Lumin

Quote Originally Posted by MtnHam View Post
    My Lumin seems to have taken a dump! Just came back from dinner out, and it won't play. Instead it moves rapidly through the play list, one selection after another, non stop. Tried shutting down, then restart- multiple times. Comes back up seeming normal until I push 'play'- then it starts rapidly moving through the playlist, but no sound. Shut down and restarted the NAS. Tried the 'reset' button. Nothing seems to work. Suggestions? Who to call or email?
    Sorry to hear this. Send a message to Li On at Lumin (Pixel Magic). lion@pixelmagicsystems.com

Did you close the app and power down your iPad?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Sorry to hear this. Send a message to Li On at Lumin (Pixel Magic). lion@pixelmagicsystems.com

Did you close the app and power down your iPad?
    Yes, same result. Will send email to Li.
    Thanks
    Tom
    Ultimate Audio
    SoundLab Dealer

Country System:
    3 dedicated AC lines

City System:
    Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp

This might be it?????????

Sometimes if your network server changes the assigned IP address to your NAS the Streamer can't find your songs because it's looking where they were before.

In the Lunin app - in the settings tab - under options of the "music library - try "reload music library" It will then ask reload library - say yes

This will re - categorize the locations of your music

Any playlists will not work as they are still going to the old locations. So rebuild a playlist and it should work.

If this works there are ways to fix the IP address of the NAS and the Lumin so this won't happen again. This is very network specific.

Let me know. Good luck
    Jock

---------

I think Jock is right. I have similar observation previously and I now configure my Synology NAS to acquire the same IP address on starting up.

Hope this gets sorted out. Good to know to set a static for the Lumin.
    Michael

Magico S5s; PASS Labs Xs150s and Xs preamplifier; Lumin A1; Synergistic Research Galileo LE Powercell, Galileo LE speaker cables and interconnects, Galileo LE Analog and Digital power cords, Transporter Ultra SE, Tranquility Bases, MiGs, HFTs, XOTs, FEQ, Vibratron and Bass Station.

I actually have not set up a static IP address for the Lumin yet. I haven't had any problems, but it's been fairly short period of time.

I did have to set up a static for my Naim because their app would loose the Naim and I would have to turn everything off and then back on again. On the Linn, it would always find the Linn but would any loose saved playlists so I set one up on it.

Time will tell with the Lumin.
    Jock

---------

Audioshark

I have two Lumin's, no static IP, no problems.

When your streamer acts like that,its not communicating with the NAS. I've had that happen on occasion with my Linn. Usually rebooting everything takes care of it.

This is always a network problem, not a streamer problem.
    Last edited by MDP; February 5, 2014 at 12:48 PM.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    When your streamer acts like that,its not communicating with the NAS. I've had that happen on occasion with my Linn. Usually rebooting everything takes care of it.

This is always a network problem, not a streamer problem.
    It's back!

It indeed was a network problem, caused by a momentary power glitch. The IP address has been changed to a static one, so hopefully this will not occur again. I'm back to Audio Nirvana!

Thanks to all.
    Tom
    Ultimate Audio
    SoundLab Dealer

Country System:
    3 dedicated AC lines

City System:
    Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp

Audioshark

Tom - GREAT to know it wasn't the Lumin!

Jock isn't called "The Professor" for nothing...

Sometimes I get lucky.

I'm just glad it worked!
    Jock

---------

so modest
    Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints
    Kuzma / Focal / Resonessence Labs / ARIA / KRELL / Pro-Ject...

Quote Originally Posted by MtnHam View Post
    It's back!

It indeed was a network problem, caused by a momentary power glitch. The IP address has been changed to a static one, so hopefully this will not occur again. I'm back to Audio Nirvana!

Thanks to all.
    Good deal Tom !

Streamers that I've had usually don't have problems, it always seems network related.

One time with the Linn I could not get the damn thing to work, I tried everything, it ended up being the router

I took some advice from a couple of friends and bought an Apple router, I have not had a problem since.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Audioshark

Apple products solve all problems! Where's Rob? .

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    apple products solve all problems! Where's rob? .
    lmao !!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Good deal Tom !

Streamers that I've had usually don't have problems, it always seems network related.

One time with the Linn I could not get the damn thing to work, I tried everything, it ended up being the router

I took some advice from a couple of friends and bought an Apple router, I have not had a problem since.
    Looks like Jock had the answer. Yes, it's the router that assigns each device an IP address, and different routers will assign addresses in different ways. Some will remember which address a device had and assign the same address back to that device even after startup/reboot. Sounds like the Apple may be doing that.

Allen

So I had to see what all the fuss was about .

Very heavy for its sleek size due to it being milled from a solid piece of aluminum. Anyways, getting my NAS set up at the moment. Will post initial and follow up impressions shortly.

image.jpg
    Michael

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

I've read somewhere that there is a new Lumin comin'?
    ...With four ESS Sabre32 Reference DACs, or sixteen DACs per channel (2 x 8-channel DAC chips per each L & R channel)!
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    I've read somewhere that there is a new Lumin comin'?
    ...With four ESS Sabre32 Reference DACs, or sixteen DACs per channel (2 x 8-channel DAC chips per each L & R channel)!
    Yup! I reported on this at CES (guess no one read that!). The S1 is the new one. I spoke to Li and he felt the A1 still sounds best, but for those who must have double DSD (for all 12 titles ) - then they will have that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Yup! I reported on this at CES (guess no one read that!). The S1 is the new one. I spoke to Li and he felt the A1 still sounds best, but for those who must have double DSD (for all 12 titles ) - then they will have that option.
    Mike - Can you recall if it will have dig inputs?

Thx!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

My New Lumin