Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: REL - which one?

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    Here's my current XTZ plot after implementing a single sub (ML BalancedForce 210) to deal with a deep 60Hz null at my primary listening position.

Attachment 5116

I placed the sub along a mid side wall, and haven't really dialed it in yet (needs more break-in first). However, it's already served it's purpose without even using the room EQ option (which I'll start playing with soon). Of note, the green trace is the "before" measurement (with ML Summits alone) and the blue trace is "after" adding the sub.

This clearly illustrates that even a single sub, properly placed, can help overcome room nulls or modes. At this point, I don't think I'll add a 2nd sub for stereo playback, but will likely use my old NHT Sub Two for additional LFE in home theater mode.
    Before the sub is broken in you should try and get the timing/phasing in line. Not sure if or how a graph would show that. What I mean is you DO NOT want the sub leading or lagging the main speakers. I think if that isn't set up properly most folks who don't care for subs this would be a very valid reason. I've only used my ears and times when I thought I had it right I really didn't. One trick that works for me is to set the crossover a little on the high side along with the gain. I find with the sub being somewhat pronounced it's a little easier to hear if it's leading or lagging the main speakers. Then readjust the crossover point. The gain is a little more tricky. Listen to many different types of music before making a final decision. What may sound right for music with little sub bass is most likely too much for the music that really goes to the bottom octave.
    Just my 2 cents
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    Here's my current XTZ plot after implementing a single sub (ML BalancedForce 210) to deal with a deep 60Hz null at my primary listening position.

Attachment 5116

I placed the sub along a mid side wall, and haven't really dialed it in yet (needs more break-in first). However, it's already served it's purpose without even using the room EQ option (which I'll start playing with soon). Of note, the green trace is the "before" measurement (with ML Summits alone) and the blue trace is "after" adding the sub.

This clearly illustrates that even a single sub, properly placed, can help overcome room nulls or modes. At this point, I don't think I'll add a 2nd sub for stereo playback, but will likely use my old NHT Sub Two for additional LFE in home theater mode.

That is a pretty good reading, I'd be happy too!

Hey Mike,

I could bring my (2) REL 528SE's down for a weekend for you to try out. But sometimes it takes a couple of weeks worth of (constant experimentation) to get them truly dialed in. Not sure I would want my system down that long ?? But....let's see...uh....I've been wanting to arrange a demo of the Alexia's in my house......hmmmm. Just kidding. Those would be a bear to move. But I could arrange a weekend if ya want. Maybe bring the new PS Audio Direct Stream DAC and those REL's for a weekend ??

Audioshark

How about you just come down for a listen? Anytime! I've owned REL subs before. Love them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Wasn't sure if you were still wanting to try the REL subs in your system as this link suggested ?? I will give your Alexia's a better listen when I bring the Direct Stream down your way.
    Thanks.........Jerry-

Audioshark

I'm looking forward to hearing that Jerry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Ive had last year the R528SE (sold it, wrong move...) now this last week I had the chance to hear a G2. Oh man that is a great, great sub, the integration with the main speakers is seamless, they bring the performance of my Mojo to a level I couldn't predict.
    Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I just had to say it
    If you haven't listened to the G2, make yourself a favour and DO IT!
    Music ON / World OFF

The REL's integrate VERY well. And yes, the 528 SE (special editions), were a limited edition series that played way above their price point. I have (3) for sale, if anyone needs a great sub. My new speakers plumb the depths, so the subwoofers are not needed. I have two piano black 528 SE's, and (1) gloss white 528 SE. Take your pick at $1600 each.

Jerry-

Has anyone carefully compared the G1 to the Studio III? (i suspect the Studio III is superior to the G1 in low frquency extension and sound pressure level.)

I just added a REL 212SE to my system and ended up keeping the S5 i had to use on the lt side of my system. I had one of the REL VPs come over to set up the room to ideal sound. He spent about 2 hrs and the result is just amazing. At some point i will swap out the S5 for a second 212SE.
    Listening Room: 25' L x 18' W x 23' H..system on the long wall
    Speakers: Tidal 'Contriva Diacera-SE
    Amps: Chalice Audio 'Grail' SET mono blocks with Psvane WE 845 / 300b tubes
    Source: Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    HighFidelity MC-1 Pro Helix conditioner
    Cables:
    Audience-Studio One RCA interconnect
    SilverSmith 'Fidelium' speaker cables
    Silent Source 'Music Reference' Power Cords x 3
    Innuos 'PhoenixNet' Switch
    CAD-CG-1

Audioquest 'fog lifters' under the Fidelium cables
    Arya Audio-RevOpods under my Tidal Speakers
    REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2
    Nordost V2 ethernet cable

EVP Isolation footers- subs-speakers- Lumin

Tweaks:
    Stillpoints Ultra SS under amps
    EVP HDR isolators 2" x 8...under my Lumin A1 and PSU
    EVP HDR isolators 4" x 16..under my Tidal speakers and my REL 212 SE subs

I have 212 SEs.

Cannot imagine anything better in my system.

Of course, for my purposes, they start rolling off a bit over 30 Hz...
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Mr. Smith...I completely agree. I will get the 2nd one after the first of the year..
    Listening Room: 25' L x 18' W x 23' H..system on the long wall
    Speakers: Tidal 'Contriva Diacera-SE
    Amps: Chalice Audio 'Grail' SET mono blocks with Psvane WE 845 / 300b tubes
    Source: Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    HighFidelity MC-1 Pro Helix conditioner
    Cables:
    Audience-Studio One RCA interconnect
    SilverSmith 'Fidelium' speaker cables
    Silent Source 'Music Reference' Power Cords x 3
    Innuos 'PhoenixNet' Switch
    CAD-CG-1

Audioquest 'fog lifters' under the Fidelium cables
    Arya Audio-RevOpods under my Tidal Speakers
    REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2
    Nordost V2 ethernet cable

EVP Isolation footers- subs-speakers- Lumin

Tweaks:
    Stillpoints Ultra SS under amps
    EVP HDR isolators 2" x 8...under my Lumin A1 and PSU
    EVP HDR isolators 4" x 16..under my Tidal speakers and my REL 212 SE subs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

REL - which one?