Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: ARC REF 5SE - New Review

I sold them like cookies.
    For me the best upgrade from ARC
    Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints
    Kuzma / Focal / Resonessence Labs / ARIA / KRELL / Pro-Ject...

The review's comparison of the REF 5SE to a SET amp leaves me bewildered. There is no comparison imagined or real.

The best preamp I have ever owned, by far. I miss it and think about it from time to time….gets me all choked up.

Quote Originally Posted by highEndguy View Post
    I sold them like cookies.
    For me the best upgrade from ARC

I agree Nelson. How are you and the family doing….your beautiful baby girl?

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    The review's comparison of the REF 5SE to a SET amp leaves me bewildered. There is no comparison imagined or real.
    The guy is an idiot. Plus all the amps he used had input impedances that are just on the edge of what ARC recommends pairing with any of their preamps (minimum suggested load is 20Kohms) and he did say that the MC501 monos with a 10Kohm input impedance on RCA connection and 20Kohm input impedance on the XLR input were a bit too wooly in the bass region. Well his other 2 amps were like 30Kohm impedance. If you look at all of ARC's amps (SS or tube) their input impedance is 100Kohms or higher so there would be no impedance mismatch with their preamps. So right off the bat, he is not using well matched amps to get an optimal read on the Ref 5SE. And I totally agree with you that the comparison with SET amps is completely inappropriate and inaccurate and just a poor analogy to make (apples and oranges type comparison). Let's just say, this reviewer did not impress me with his reviewing acumen.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    The guy is an idiot. Plus all the amps he used had input impedances that are just on the edge of what ARC recommends pairing with any of their preamps (minimum suggested load is 20Kohms) and he did say that the MC501 monos with a 10Kohm input impedance on RCA connection and 20Kohm input impedance on the XLR input were a bit too wooly in the bass region. Well his other 2 amps were like 30Kohm impedance. If you look at all of ARC's amps (SS or tube) their input impedance is 100Kohms or higher so there would be no impedance mismatch with their preamps. So right off the bat, he is not using well matched amps to get an optimal read on the Ref 5SE. And I totally agree with you that the comparison with SET amps is completely inappropriate and inaccurate and just a poor analogy to make (apples and oranges type comparison). Let's just say, this reviewer did not impress me with his reviewing acumen.
    +1
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Well said cmalak!
    You vocalized exactly what I thought while reading the review.
    +1

larevoj

Love this preamp...anyone know how long the tubes needs replacement?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I read it as his way to verify indeed that input impedance matters with the 5SE. He didn't say he had any issues with his Edge or Boulder amps. I actually found that a refreshing comment as so many folks think you can pair anything together and make it work (aka measurements don't matter). ARC's amps are irrelevant to the review.

Hard to compare any balanced design to a SET amp though lol.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by larevoj View Post
    Love this preamp...anyone know how long the tubes needs replacement?
    Late post. I own the Ref 5 SE too and am very pleased with its performance.

Didn't read the review mentioned above, but if true that the Ref 5 SE was hooked up to an amp with 20K ohms or less input impedance, the review was a waste of time and reading it will be a waste of my time.

Been there and done it with "asymmetric overloading" of my old Ref 3. I use the term "asymmetric overloading" to describe hooking up old Ref 3 to my ARC VS 115 (300K input impedance) (old amp) via XLR I/Cs and my subwoofer (10K ohms) via RCA I/Cs. ARC told me to fix the loading format. If anyone is interested in better understanding the problem and my fix, check out my Audiogon posts on the subject. Do a search of Tom Tutay and you will find the relevant posts. Bottom line: problem is fixed today.

As to Larevoj's question, ARC advised me to replace the 6550 WE power supply regulator at 2000 hours and the 6H30 tubes should be replaced between 3500 and 4000 hours. At least that's ARC's official recommendation.
    System description: VPI Classic "2.7" (basic Classic turntable plinth, with Classic 3 tone arm base and SS wand; upgraded stock Classic 600 rpm motor for 300 rpm motor); Lyra Kleos cartridge; VPI periphery ring and SS clamp; 35 pound maple TT slab base; ARC phono 3SE ; ARC Ref 6SE linestage; ARC Ref CD-9SE CD player; ARC Ref 150 SE power amp; Paradigm Signature 8 (v3)speakers w/ BE dome tweeters; Kimber Hero I/Cs; Kimber speaker cables.

This question may not fit here but it's regarding the Ref5SE anyhow. Namely I'm thinking about swapping my ModWright LS36.5DM with Ref5SE. Did anybody have experience with both of these line stages so that he could make a comparison? Is it worth to swap? I don't have a chance to demo so that's the reason for asking. Anyhow it should drive my Ref75. Thanks in advance!
    LS: Vienna Acoustics Klimt "The Music"
    PowerAmp: Nagra VPA
    PreAmp: Tobian Soundsystems SC12
    DAC: LampizatOr Horizon
    Server: LDMS Maximus Music Server
    CDT: CH Precison D1
    Switch: Edison Creation Silent OCXO Extreme, FiberBox
    Power: LampizatOr Kraftwerk 10
    Cabling: Signal Projects loom

Probably not. The 36.5 has a separate power supply and while I've never owned one, I've heard it on several occasions since the local dealer is friend. Both are excellent, but I don't think the 5se will give you a substantial performance gain.

Why not consider the Ref6 ?

Small incremental upgrades are more expensive on the long run.

Golum, to throw a cat amongst the pidgeons...I would recommend considering a 2nd hand ARC Ref 40th Anniversary pre. I've received 1st hand feedback from a Dealer who compared the Reference 10 to the Ref 40th Anniversary & preferred the Anniversary model. Both are better than than the Ref 5SE. There is one FS on Audiogon right now in mint condition asking $17k. That pre will have excellent synergy with your Ref 75 & obviously not introduce any impedance issues. Mixing and matching tubed power and preamps can be a mixed bag. Anyway, that's the way i'd go in your shoes, no question.

Guys thanks for the answer and the suggestions! To be fully honest my wallet is not that thick so unfortunately the option with the funds I can play with is 5SE.

Hi Golum,

I think the Ref 5SE is a wonderful sounding preamp and should go well with your system. There are still many available at a reasonable price due to all the folks who upgraded to the Ref 6. The Ref 6 has a more transparent and dynamic presentation but I find the Ref 5SE to be a little more laid back, which is to my liking. I personally own a Ref 10, which is essentially one Ref 5SE per channel, and I love it.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Hi Ken;

Thanks for this information. Well I just missed the one I was aiming to buy so I'm kind of depressed and mad at myself as I was re-thinking it to much . Problem I have here in Europe is that they are not that often available as second hand so I need to re-open the hunting season.
    Or maybe I should first upgrade my speakers, or preamp, or speakers, or preamp, or speakers,.......pls. wake me up from this nightmare

By the way - you have a fantastic system!!!!

All the best Ken!

Goran

Quote Originally Posted by Golum View Post
    This question may not fit here but it's regarding the Ref5SE anyhow. Namely I'm thinking about swapping my ModWright LS36.5DM with Ref5SE. Did anybody have experience with both of these line stages so that he could make a comparison? Is it worth to swap? I don't have a chance to demo so that's the reason for asking. Anyhow it should drive my Ref75. Thanks in advance!
    Let me answer my own question as somebody might find it useful in the same situation. Initially I was looking into 5SE but my luck changed towards positive direction and I could get myself Ref 6 so the comparison is done with the Ref 6.

First of all I need to mention that both preamps are great sounding and the end result will of course depend on the matching equipment.
    Anyhow Ref 6 replaced ModWright LS36.5 DM and my conclusion is as follows - I find Ref 6 more dynamic, transparent with more pronounced bottom end. It's definitely less tubby sounding than MW but also much much less forgiving on the badly produced music. If you have the amp which is brutally transparent maybe MW would be a good/better match but with my Ref 75 this combo is just the winner solution. Also from the ergonomics, look and user experience I prefer ARC over MW but this is of course very much subjective.

Overall I'm more than happy with the upgrade

The Ref 10 is my favorite preamp because we found it much better than the Ypsilon PST1 and the older Dartzeel model, comparing it on Constellation Inspiration with Wilson Alexias using Lampi as input. We also compared the Ypsilon to the Dartzeel on the Dartzeel 108 power amp where they sounded equal but Ypsilon edged ahead of the Dart on the Constellation. The Ref 10 was just tremendous in terms of wider, deepr soundstage, muscle, slam, drive, excitement, and decay. And I am not a fan of AR products till the 5 SE as I find they only do midrange and air, congest on orchestral, but the separate power supply on the Ref 10 (and I guess the Ref 40) has changed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Golum View Post
    Let me answer my own question as somebody might find it useful in the same situation. Initially I was looking into 5SE but my luck changed towards positive direction and I could get myself Ref 6 so the comparison is done with the Ref 6.

First of all I need to mention that both preamps are great sounding and the end result will of course depend on the matching equipment.
    Anyhow Ref 6 replaced ModWright LS36.5 DM and my conclusion is as follows - I find Ref 6 more dynamic, transparent with more pronounced bottom end. It's definitely less tubby sounding than MW but also much much less forgiving on the badly produced music. If you have the amp which is brutally transparent maybe MW would be a good/better match but with my Ref 75 this combo is just the winner solution. Also from the ergonomics, look and user experience I prefer ARC over MW but this is of course very much subjective.

Overall I'm more than happy with the upgrade
    Hi Golum,

Congratulations on your Ref 6! It is a wonderful sounding preamp and the perfect match for the Ref 75 amp. Keep in mind that it takes at least 600 hours to break in. My Ref 10 really hit its stride at around 600 hours.

Enjoy,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Golum.
    Gratulations with your new Ref.6 i am sure its great, i heard it myself at a dealer with ref amplifier and Wilson Audio Sabrina and Sasha 2, really amazing.
    i can only imagine how happy you must be
    By the way how warm does it get ?

Thanks guys!!
    Regarding heating - hm let's say it's a nice add on for the cold Swiss nights ...especially handy when wife kicks you out of the bed

He he Golum thats good to hear that you have good use of the extra heating

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

ARC REF 5SE - New Review