Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Lightbulb Shopping for a Smart Phone - Suggestions requested - Ideas?

I'm in a hunt of tracking the perfect smart phone (touchscreen) now, and for me.

I know nothing!
    Only that Apple has some (iPhone - #S Series), Samsung (Galaxy - S# Series), Nokia (Lumia), Nexus (# Series), Blackberry (Z Series). ...LG? ...Panasonic? ...Sony (Ericsson)? ...Others?

Simple things I'm looking for:
    - Affordable (less than $500 - from $100 to $500)
    - Decent size screen (4 to 5 inches/diagonal - biggest the better)
    - Solid design
    - Cool factor (looks)
    - Fun to navigate (easy too - responsive)
    - Great for surfing (Net, WWW - Wide World Web)
    - Good for sound (music)
    - Good for picture quality (photos & videos)
    - Great for Wi-Fi (and distance)
    - Long battery life
    - Reasonable choice of applications
    - Good on-board camera (video too)
    - Nice to hold
    - Making phone calls & checking emails
    - Clear voice & great reception
    - And all that cool jazz ... including remote control application (stereo, and multichannel rigs)

Things that I don't need:
    - Complexity (operation)
    - Cheap build
    - Short battery life
    - Mickey Mouse design
    - Text Messaging
    - GPS & SPL meter (mic) & Surround Sound Automatic Room Calibration & EQ System
    - Alarm Clock
    - Games
    - Sports
    - Politics
    - Economics
    - Religions
    - Stock Markets (Dow Jones - Nasdaq - Canadian markets - China - Japan - ...)
    - Lamps control
    - Doors opening (and Locks)
    - And all that superfluous jazz ... including advice on what to eat, drink, and where to sleep.

* Can you help me out to sort it out?
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Re: Shopping for a Smart Phone - Suggestions requested - Ideas?

Iphone 4S or 5 would fit them nicely. I used the Samsung for a while I did liked it however I had some issues with their OS system ( re-boot by itself )

and it was so fragile. I broke the glass and lot of my friends as well. So for now I'm staying away from them for a while until they come out with Aluminum chassis.
    Paul

Oh... I like the HTC one as well.. they have a best speaker system ( Dr.Dre speakers ) and excellent pic quality even at low lights. ( by specs they are actually lowest pixels but the results was excellent )

Only one thing they used to have a problem with their OS system after a year of usage. Hope they got better these days.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMcIntosh View Post
    Iphone 4S or 5 would fit them nicely. I used the Samsung for a while I did liked it however I had some issues with their OS system ( re-boot by itself )

and it was so fragile. I broke the glass and lot of my friends as well. So for now I'm staying away from them for a while until they come out with Aluminum chassis.
    The iPhone 4S is $450 Canadian. ...The 5S is $700 Canadian (over my limit of $500).
    Paul, how large is the screen of the 4S (diagonal)?

Soooo, the iPhones are built stronger than the Samsung Galaxy S Series?
    The Galaxy S3 is also $450 - And the screen is 4.8" in diagonal.

How many here prefer the iPhones over the Galaxies?

Paul, if you break your Galaxy, you don't have a warranty to get it fixed or replaced?

And thx for your feedback so far.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Oh... I like the HTC one as well.. they have a best speaker system ( Dr.Dre speakers ) and excellent pic quality even at low lights. ( by specs they are actually lowest pixels but the results was excellent )

Only one thing they used to have a problem with their OS system after a year of usage. Hope they got better these days.
    Sorry Paul but I just don't have a clue of what HTC stands for? ...HelloTimeCommunication?

OS, Operating System right?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Sorry Paul but I just don't have a clue of what HTC stands for? ...HelloTimeCommunication?

OS, Operating System right?
    Yes , OS is Operating System and HTC stands for High Tech Computer Corporation. I know you know it

The iPhone 4S is $450 Canadian. ...The 5S is $700 Canadian (over my limit of $500).
    Paul, how large is the screen of the 4S (diagonal)?

Soooo, the iPhones are built stronger than the Samsung Galaxy S Series?
    The Galaxy S3 is also $450 - And the screen is 4.8" in diagonal.

How many here prefer the iPhones over the Galaxies?

Paul, if you break your Galaxy, you don't have a warranty to get it fixed or replaced?

And thx for your feedback so far.
    If you break the glass by your own fault no they won't cover it by warranty at all and It cost me $ 200 to change the glass and chip underneath the screen.

Does it has to be Brand New ( You can find the 4S for around $300 ish on Kijiji) ? or Are you able to sign the contract and get a free bee ?
    Paul

Xperia Z1 - All Android Smartphones Sony Store - Sony US

There are cheaper, the more you read up on it the more it makes sense & it will talk with your pc.

Bob.... Did you know you are in Invisible mode ?
    Paul

Yes , OS is Operating System and HTC stands for High Tech Computer Corporation. I know you know it
    No, I did not know Paul, honest to Santa.

If you break the glass by your own fault no they won't cover it by warranty at all
    and It cost me $ 200 to change the glass and chip underneath the screen.
    That sucks!

Does it has to be Brand New ( You can find the 4S for around $300 ish on Kijiji) ?
    or Are you able to sign the contract and get a free bee ?
    I can exchange my accumulated time ($500 worth of it) for the purchase of a new cell phone.
    And isn't it risky to buy a used iPhone? ...Is the $150 saving worth it?

* No contract; I'm just a good customer for the last ten steady years, and with the same phone line company for more than thirty.

Paul, I don't really need a cell phone, but I would still like to get a newer touchscreen one, before I die.
    {The flipper I got right now scares the hell out of all the younger ladies.}

Which ones take the best pictures; iPhones or Galaxies?
    And you did not answer my previous question; how large (diagonal) is the iPhone 4S's screen?
    - Galaxy 3S: made of plastic (cover)?
    - iPhone S4: made of metal? ...And the screen (glass) is more impact resistant?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
    Xperia Z1 - All Android Smartphones Sony Store - Sony US

There are cheaper, the more you read up on it the more it makes sense & it will talk with your pc.
    Wow! 20.7MP camera, 5" screen, talks with PCs, and $649* US! ...Is that the one you're using Kev?

* Cheaper?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Bob.... Did you know you are in Invisible mode ?
    Yes, and I don't like it; I just started using that feature a few days ago because there are some people from other endroits observing stuff.
    I simply don't want the suffering I endured at other endroits to infiltrate my life here; so I made this decision in order to help. It goes against my principles but it also protects me up to a certain point; so I am flexible and I adapt to life's mysteries and all that jazz. ...All for the best of course.
    - If you want to know the exact fact you can PM me; I always tell it like it is. ...A private matter.

I would normally never use that function as I am a totally open person.
    Paul, with time I will disable it, and return to the open soul of the world.

For now it is the Holidays, and we all want peace, and forever after, everyone of us.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Yes, and I don't like it; I just started using that feature a few days ago because there are some people from other endroits observing stuff.
    I simply don't want the suffering I endured at other endroits to infiltrate my life here; so I made this decision in order to help. It goes against my principles but it also protects me up to a certain point; so I am flexible and I adapt to life's mysteries and all that jazz. ...All for the best of course.
    - If you want to know the exact fact you can PM me; I always tell it like it is. ...A private matter.

I would normally never use that function as I am a totally open person.
    Paul, with time I will disable it, and return to the open soul of the world.

For now it is the Holidays, and we all want peace, and forever after, everyone of us.
    Bob I find this very puzzling & to be honest I just don't believe you have thought of the consequences of the net, example, posting google slogan every other week in the pics thread & so on.

Go ahead Kev, say exactly what you have to say. That way we can get to a friendly common ground.

- Google slogans (logos): you don't like? Is there something wrong with that, is it bothering you personally?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Tried to post this last night..seems for me that every night after 8pm AS is unobtainium

Anyway, GO WINDOWS 8 Phone all the way.

Yes, you could get an IPhone or an Android phone and yes, right now they have the lion share of market. But they are OLD technology (yes, they are).

Windows 8 is amazing...not only by itself, but by the way the common interface syncs EVERYTHING..Mail, music, documents, etc...and the phone is fast..

Check out the Nokia 1520 (its almost a tablet) and the 1020 if you want the normal size...Nothing like a 40megapixel camera eh ?

Battery life is awesome I go a day and a half on a charge with HEAVY use...2 or more on light use.

The Smartphone Reinvented Around You | Windows Phone (United States)
    MAIN RIG: Equipment: Marantz SR4023 as Pre / Velleman K4040 Tube Power Amp / Yamaha M65 Power Amp / Polk Monitor 70's with Polk Sub / ClearAudio Concept table with Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Stage and ClearAudio Concept MC cart /Pioneer PL500 TT with AT440MLa

Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Audioshark

iPhone. Don't even waste your time with something else. Everything else is a "wanna be" iPhone. If you value simplicity, it just works and a vast amount of apps to choose from (many free), then there is nothing better. If you want to "geek out" and start hacking your phone, spending endless amounts of time on hold with tech support, pulling your hair out with setup, go with something else.

In my companies, the employees who ask for iPhones get iPhones and they just work. No issues. The others who want their 'droids and stuff, seem to be frustrated to no end. We are all going with iPhones now as the standard.

Don't get disillusioned by all these "specs". The iPhone wanna be's like to say their phone has 8 billion mhz and 9 trillon gigabytes and all this rubbish. It's about usability and a great UI. It just works.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I use apple computers at work and home so the iPhone is the only way I would ever get just because of the ease of syncing them all together.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Mike...That's what I found too...The Android- Cool. There are much more things you can do with Android Operating System.I always like the "Back" button and the screen menu you can just keep flip them(without going back and forth on iphone) is a bonus and I really loved the schedule text system. the Bad thing is they are just like Microsoft VS Mac. They tend to be get slow after certain period and takes too much memory to operate it beside the crush OS problem.

Iphone - They are not fancy like the Android and it doesn't have anything special over the Android but they do the job what it suppose to do. Never ever have a crush problem no virus problem. Very stable over the years of usage.

After fooling around with other system last two years and feel good to be back home with my Iphone.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    iPhone. Don't even waste your time with something else. Everything else is a "wanna be" iPhone. If you value simplicity, it just works and a vast amount of apps to choose from (many free), then there is nothing better. If you want to "geek out" and start hacking your phone, spending endless amounts of time on hold with tech support, pulling your hair out with setup, go with something else.

In my companies, the employees who ask for iPhones get iPhones and they just work. No issues. The others who want their 'droids and stuff, seem to be frustrated to no end. We are all going with iPhones now as the standard.

Don't get disillusioned by all these "specs". The iPhone wanna be's like to say their phone has 8 billion mhz and 9 trillon gigabytes and all this rubbish. It's about usability and a great UI. It just works.
    That's because you haven't TRIED and used Windows phones. Tell me...does your company use WINDOWS or MAC ? I am pretty sure you use windows.

If you want a FAD toy,buy an IPHONE..Innovation there died with Steve Jobs. That's why I say, PAST history. And its not about whiz bang MHz, etc. Its about what WORKS and easily integrates with what you are using today.

Tell me...Can you integrate you IPhone with XBOX ? Your Windows PC ? Does it have a REAL office ?

Heheheh...

Sorry..but I have used them all and nothing compares...:-0 Please don't be offended...Lots of people use legacy stuff...LOL
    MAIN RIG: Equipment: Marantz SR4023 as Pre / Velleman K4040 Tube Power Amp / Yamaha M65 Power Amp / Polk Monitor 70's with Polk Sub / ClearAudio Concept table with Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Stage and ClearAudio Concept MC cart /Pioneer PL500 TT with AT440MLa

Audioshark

We use all Mac's. I switched us to Macs in 2010. Maintaining Windows was a full time job. Viruses and all that. No more. Cloud based computing and storage made the switch easy. Now? Zero - and I mean - zero issues.

We have several Mac servers hosted by a company in Ohio. No issues there either.

The biggest challenge was getting the employees to switch from Windoze to Mac. They liked their Windows. Now? They are buying Mac's personally!

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Audioshark

Oh, and this is what I'm talking about. Integrating your phone with an xBox? Who cares? Its a phone! This is the stuff the competition has to dream up (which not many really want) to try to take a tiny bite out of Apple's market share.

Apple focuses on ease of usability. Functionality. Reliability. Not silly nonsense for the very few.

Then why are they trying to COPY us now in the integration space ?

Wow...Good to hear Mike..It works for you, that's great, and that's all that matters.

But the majority of businesses disagree which is why Apple is not in the commercial space. In a limited environment, it will work. But that is the key. Limited. Software is not screaming off the shelves for Apple. Most of the time it can't work with the rest of the world...No one ever asks when they buy hardware or software "does it work on windows?". No, they ask "Will it work on a MAC?" Truth?

Anyway, I wont say anymore. Talking OS and phones is like talking politics or religion. It never gets pretty...LOL

Have a great day

My vote goes to Samsung Note 3, big screen and full featured including Incognito Screen . Been using it since it's release with no issue, very easy to operate.
    Dan

The older I get the more I know how little I know!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSectorA View Post
    My vote goes to Samsung Note 3, big screen and full featured including Incognito Screen . Been using it since it's release with no issue, very easy to operate.
    Dan. Just don't ever drop it from your pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul

Dan. Just don't ever drop it from your pocket.

No intention of dropping on this end. Screen on Iphones break too you know, seen a few including one of my daughters.
    Dan

No intention of dropping on this end. Screen on Iphones break too you know, seen a few including one of my daughters.
    Of cause they do. the problem is $30 VS $200.
    Paul

Of cause they do. the problem is $30 VS $200.
    Considering the size of my screen it's probably $300 anyways!
    Dan

Hahaha. I had a Note2 and loved the pen.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ohbythebay View Post
    Tried to post this last night..seems for me that every night after 8pm AS is unobtainium

Anyway, GO WINDOWS 8 Phone all the way.

Yes, you could get an IPhone or an Android phone and yes, right now they have the lion share of market. But they are OLD technology (yes, they are).

Windows 8 is amazing...not only by itself, but by the way the common interface syncs EVERYTHING..Mail, music, documents, etc...and the phone is fast..

Check out the Nokia 1520 (its almost a tablet) and the 1020 if you want the normal size...Nothing like a 40megapixel camera eh ?

Battery life is awesome I go a day and a half on a charge with HEAVY use...2 or more on light use.

The Smartphone Reinvented Around You | Windows Phone (United States)
    Hey Rob this is great! ...I was talking with a cell representative in Guatemala, and he mentioned a Nokia Lumia (touchscreen) and for only $129 Cdn.
    I don't know the model exactly as he did not mention and I did not ask because I thought that Lumia was already the model.
    See, this is all new to me. ...The thing he said to me is that I'll save $321 over the iPhone 4S or Samsung Galaxy S3 (both $450 each).
    But the screen is only 4" in diagonal (.8" smaller than the Galaxy S3).

Btw, I asked him what smart phone he was using himself; an iPhone 2S.
    He did mention that the iPhones are built stronger than the Galaxy ones. ...And the OS is also better.

And talking to my friend today he has an HTC smart phone (free). ...But he has to make monthly payments (roughly $40/month).

Me, if I trade my time ($$) for a smart phone, I don't have to make monthly payments. Fifty minutes per month is free, and after that it is only 15 cents a minute.
    * I talk on my cell about ten minutes per month on average; at the very max.

-> Seems that the iPhone is the most popular with the people's majority.
    I'll have to dig deeper and find out how those multi-huge companies do business; and then I'll put my money with the less corrupted one, or the one that don't hire cheap labor (low wages from third world countries). ...That too would be part of my equation; I don't want to encourage stuff that goes against my principles. ...Or my life would mean nothing at all; best smart phone or not, or all the money in the world or dirt poor.
    It has to be a good balance; a great product, from a great company run by great people and who respect their workers with the utmost human decency. ...Good working conditions, good wages, and good insurance.

Any idea?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Mike, can I sync (Wi-Fi) an iPhone with a PC (Windows - Microsoft)? ...And perfectly?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Audioshark

Mike, can I sync (Wi-Fi) an iPhone with a PC (Windows - Microsoft)? ...And perfectly?
    I don't own a Windows PC other than the CAPS 3.0 (which I will be selling). That being said, everything is done through the Apple iCloud.

I did get a chuckle out of your request above. That being said, Apple has addressed these concerns better than the others IMO. They are all guilty, pick your tallest midget.

But none are made here.....if that's what you're asking.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387322215.889171.jpg

Audioshark

Bob, check this link for more info. Beyond this, you use iTunes for Windows (free) to sync EVERYTHING with your phone should you so choose.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/

Hey Dan, what's the difference between a Samsung Note and a Samsung Galaxy touchscreen (smart phone - S Series)?
    Is the Note an iPad type like?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

How big is your Note 3 Dan? If it is like a tablet or a large pad then I cannot exchange time ($$) for one of them.
    Tablets and laptops are not included in my exchange. ...It has to be a smart phone (touchscreen, and the larger the better; for me, like 5").

* Next year sometimes I'll be looking for a tablet or a laptop; with a 10 to 20" screen. But I'm not there yet.
    Perhaps Mike will have a good deal for me by then. Or a member here has a spare one he's not using so he can make a nice gift to someone nice like I. ...A laptop would be cool.

BTW, my PC is so old that it has only 40Gb capacity (and 3/4+ of it is already used; I have to delete stuff occasionally).
    Takes about 15 minutes to boot it up (morning startup).
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

I don't own a Windows PC other than the CAPS 3.0 (which I will be selling). That being said, everything is done through the Apple iCloud.

I did get a chuckle out of your request above. That being said, Apple has addressed these concerns better than the others IMO. They are all guilty, pick your tallest midget.

But none are made here.....if that's what you're asking.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387322215.889171.jpg
    Ok, forget about if they are made in Disneyland (USA) or not. ...Do they have Disneylands too in China?

Mike, I have a very old PC (wired). So, is an iPhone for me or not?
    {My PC is circa 1999-2000}
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Bob, check this link for more info. Beyond this, you use iTunes for Windows (free) to sync EVERYTHING with your phone should you so choose.

Apple - iCloud - Your content. On all your devices.
    Yeah, I do remember of having seen iTunes in the past (years ago) from my computer. Is that like a music player?

I don't have a single clue about iCloud.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Audioshark

Bob - I have no idea what OS you are running. Windows XP? Here is one of the many benefits to Apple - call them at: 1-800-263-3394 (I can't check this number since it is Apple Canada and doesn't accept US calls). In addition, go to the Apple store OR BestBuy. Sit down and talk to the rep about the iPhone and your PC. I'm sure it will all work out. You're not the first person in this situation who wants to buy an iPhone or something else.

Super Moderator

Bob,

Is your computer coal fired?
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

No Joe! that would melt the igloo from the inside out. He has the old hamster still turning the wheel.

Audioshark

No Joe! that would melt the igloo from the inside out. He has the old hamster still turning the wheel.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387323544.836375.jpg

Super Moderator

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Bob - I have no idea what OS you are running. Windows XP? Here is one of the many benefits to Apple - call them at: 1-800-263-3394 (I can't check this number since it is Apple Canada and doesn't accept US calls). In addition, go to the Apple store OR BestBuy. Sit down and talk to the rep about the iPhone and your PC. I'm sure it will all work out. You're not the first person in this situation who wants to buy an iPhone or something else.
    Yep, XP.

I will certainly do that Mike; visit the stores and hold the jewelry goods in my hand (that'll tell me which one is a good match for my 'sound' personality).

But I'm glad that I did start this thread because you guys are a good bunch. ...You are motivators.
    It's a start in the right direction; several opinions with excellent info.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Bob,

Is your computer coal fired?
    Yes, steamed vapor energy; how did you guess Joe!

* That's only one of the multitude of reasons why I love you so much here.
    - Hamster; my PC is not that modem. ...And besides, cost more money to feed the little lovely guy.

** Do they make smart phones (China) with a mini hamster in it?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Lmao!!!!!! Funny thread!! I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but I would like to say I have an iphone5 and don't have a protective case. Just a screen protector and I've dropped it a bunch of times and have beat the hell out of it and it is still in great shape.
    Good luck Bob!!!
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Thx Steve. ...The iPhone 5S is $700 Cdn, just a little bit over my ceiling ($500).
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Just rent one Bob.
    Doug

I'll throw my $.02 in for what it's worth.. I was in the same situation as you, Bob; remember my thread over at WBF? I ended up choosing the Galaxy S4 due to the excellent screen, fast processor, great camera, and replaceable battery. I was a bit apprehensive about getting such a large phone because they can be uncomfortable in in your pocket, but I've found it to be alright. I wouldn't get anything bigger, though. After having my S4 for 6 months, I still like it, but I find the radio signal (Verizon CDMA) to be weaker than my old Motorola V9m flip phone. As far as the phone feeling cheap, I have a thin silicone case around it so metal or plastic, I wouldn't know the difference. My battery life is pretty good too. I get on average 2-4 days on a charge depending on use.

If I were in the market for a phone right now, I think I would look at the HTC One, current Motorola offerings, Nokia Lumina, or an iPhone.

My suggestion to you is to go to the store, get your hands on them and play with them for a while. See how they feel in your hands, how responsive the screen is, and if they fit your needs. The bottom line is, no matter what you buy, it will be "outdated" in about 6 months or less.

The answer is ..No...

This is such a touchy subject. The IPhone folks are very loyal and they tell you "they just work"...yet the IPHONE is the ones that always seem to have problems. You pay premium prices and then you have to hold the phone a certain way to get reception. They release with software errors that NO phone should have (read up on it). Apple security sucks (sorry Mike, I know I said I wouldn;t but the truth must be known)

But IPhone people will tell you "Oh its the best, they'll fix it in the next release" Its so easy, so many apps...as long as they are coming from apples proprietary screening (apple has the least number of apps because of this)

What I am trying to educate you guys on is YES, the IPhone was awesome a few years ago...it re-invented smart phone tech...but, like the Blackberry, it has frozen in time and is trying to live on its name. The windows phone and the services I listed run circles around them. You have to accept that technology can move on, that NEW can beat old even if market share was heavily weighted otherwise before. How the heck do you think the IPhone came to be so popular ? And in truth, it really isn't. Android has it beat 8 to 1 and Windows is just about caught up in share.

SO to Mikes' suggestion. yes, sit down at Best buy, check out the IPhone. But check out the Windows phone also.

BTW...There is a VERY good reason why Delta, Boeing, hospitals, etc. are going with Windows Surface tablets. Some of their IT guys have IPads...for fun...but they freely admit, Ipad's can't do what Windows can. Its like trying to compare a Laptops (windows) to a Kindle reader...No compare

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Bob, I think this post is your best yet !
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Mark...get in here and break this Up !!! LOL

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Quote Originally Posted by ohbythebay View Post
    Mark...get in here and break this Up !!! LOL
    It's kind of funny really, I never knew that a cell phone post would be so combative

Everybody has been pretty nice though !
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Shopping for a  Smart Phone - Suggestions requested - Ideas?